• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Hell yeah! Do you remember which layout that was?
Not sure if there's an official name for this layout but I posted the trackmap with the highlighted layout in post #348 . When are we going??? My friend can take up to 6 visitors I think for next time. The question is... will he let me. He's a friend of a friend. haha

I'm on all-season tires. I know, it's hard to notice with my mediocre driving :)
Great video Regan. But for real, all season tires? You live in So-Cal no?

@Jinks & @jwmelvin - sorry, you guys are right. The DW's handles so well in the wet I could have sworn they were. It's a moot point for me now since i'm switching over to 18/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports @stuntman recommendation. I'm super excited about the PSS's. The DW's will be for sale if anyone is looking for a set for cheap. Still have about 85% or more of life left. The track day was very kind to these tires as I only went out in 2 half sessions.

Back to other updates!

S2000 Gauge Cluster: I've decided to be one of the 1st three beta testers for this gauge cluster kit built by @Johan@SjoebergDP. I'm pretty excited to receive it later this week. I know this mod is polarizing but I wanted to find a balance between an OEM look that is easier to read while more granular than the sweep gauge display. I thought it would be a nice match to my digital LCD display for the HKS CAMP2 display as well. I also really like the digital speedo gauges.

pic borrowed from @JRZ
attachment.php

I'll report back on how accurate this is
attachment.php

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

The last of my major mods is getting installed this week! Yaaaay! *drumroll*

The better I get at the track the more I longed for a proper LSD. I'm pretty excited about this mod and I'm expecting it to be the last major mod on my NSX. The remaining will be small stuff to tidy up the interior and keep up with maintenance items.

It was actually a very long decision process (years) to arrive at the OS Giken 4.06 v1.5 LSD. I wasn't convinced I wanted to keep my CTSC. There was always the choice of going 4.44 but I felt that was just too short for a 5spd. In a 6spd it's acceptable. I owned an NA coupe with JDM short gears and the 4.23 Type R final drive. It was A LOT of fun and those days still make me recall how good a lightweight NA coupe can be. However, having settled in to how I like to drive my car (30% track, 30% canyon, 40% GT cruiser) I became attached to the torque and the lack of buzziness of the stock final drive but coupled with the "short" JDM gears. The gear ratios are perfect for my local tracks and quite confortable on the hwy. The added torque of the CTSC is just icing on the cake.

Not to mention, this is the last 5spd OSG LSD in the country, maybe the world. OSG Japan has a minimum order of 10 qty and last they told me, they only had 3 prepaid in the world. I really got lucky to find this new one sitting on @titaniumdave shelf! According to OSG USA, we think this is the latest version... even if it isn't.. no turning back now. It's with Jon Martin for install.

IMG_20160114_204718_zpsbpxd5j69.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, more updates!

As part of my Laguna Seca 92dB noise buster plan, I decided to add a set of high flow cats we had lying around. These are metallic 100 cells I believe. The really did a nice job of smoothing out the tone. These cats go before the valvetronic section of my exhaust and are now V-banded so make install so much easier. I need to make a sound clip one day.

I made best efforts to make it equal length from the collectors to the cats. I notice no performance loss but only the dyno can really tell.
IMG_20151228_183823_zps9baoccpx.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to getting your impressions on the OS. Lets Shabu Shabu soon.
I'm down. Thinking of doing MRLS Feb 7th. I'm always down for Shabu Shabu. We might go this Thurs (the monthly meet) but I think i'll be swamped at work.

^I'm down.
You're always invited Billy! How about we all meet up at the next track day and i'll bring the bbq.

Is it too late to WPC treat your lsd? I wish I had done this before it was installed.
Which LSD do you have? Which gear oil are you using? How much power are you putting down? I'd be very curious on your impressions.

So I had a long debate about this with a few friends and experts. I read @stuntman's article on motoiq many times. I also WPC treated my OSG Clutch plates so i'm a fan. I finally decided not to open up my LSD and to use the OSGiken 250 gear oil. Apparently the grabby LSD clutch plates aren't *that* grabby to be annoying on this latest version. Am I wrong...? I don't know. I'll report back if in case I made a mistake. @kuni WPC treated his OSG LSD 4.4 v1.5 as well as many other transmission parts and I like how his LSD performs from a street driving standpoint. I'm also only pushing 350wHP so I won't be putting down as much as Billy. FWIW OS Giken and Jon Martin does not recommend I go thru the WPC treatment. Jon has installed a few already. So i'm a bit of a victim of heresay. Since this is my first ever aftermarket LSD in any of my cars I can only gain the best info I can and make decisions accordingly. I might regret it!!! But I hope not.

Oh, Nick @ Applied Motorsport recommended I don't wpc as well.

Last edited:
[MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION],
You cannot go wrong with the pss. The fastest accelerating production car on the planet the regera runs these. Along with the 918. The 918 went up against the P1 at Laguna. The P1 had heated Pirelli tires while the 918 ran pss with normal ambient temps. The 918 was almost 4 seconds faster consecutively with multiple runs using the same driver. The 918 set a new world record at the track running these tires. Let me know how they fit! I really wanna run these but worry about cracked fenders again.

One last thing on why I didn't wpc... Given that I can no longer get another NSX OSG LSD, I didn't want to risk any warranty issues with them. This is also why I didn't even open up the LSD to retune it.
[MENTION=31260]Jinks[/MENTION] will report back!

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Ryu.. I have a 6sp trans & 1.5 way superlock diff w/ a 4.62 final. I bought them both used with ~2k miles and they were installed by SOS. My '91 with ctsc and stock compression puts down 443whp.

The chattering & clunking is a little obnoxious, just at parking lot speeds -- at nsxpo Mexiricer ran over and said something like "orale homez your car is broken ese!" (not quite like that but the story is better that way)

The stock OS G fluid (80w250 if i'm not mistaken) can be changed out for a thicker viscosity? For me that makes more sense to try that than the teardown + wpc. SOS mentioned a 50/50 blend with 70w140 fluid, saying the limitation being heavier oil can add more wear to the synchros. It is a little puzzle to try and solve but I don't really care all that much about preserving my
quiet experience at 5mph.. I will let you know what I do.

That said it is an awesome mod that makes it more fun especially on corner exits.. I never want to go back.

Last edited:
Reducing the amount of 'active' clutch plates and reducing the preload will also help a ton for the 'chattering'. The importation of OSG has been a bit weird and i havent' followed it in years, but its funny how they were supportive of WPC treating my clutch plates, then they came out with the plates with holes in them to improve oiling and reducing chattering, and they were fine with WPC but said it may not be necessary with the 'improvment', then the plates with the oiling holes were considered not as good (iirc), etc... I don't think you can go wrong either way, but the preload and active plates will make a BIG difference.

Knowing me and my prioritization to my car being a "street car" first I'm sure any bit of chattering will get annoying. The cow bell noise of the STR2C floating clutch is about my tolerance limit lol

(They are SUCH good parts though)

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] do you roughly remember around what year they came out with the clutch plates with holes?

I asked OSG USA and they had the most vague "you have the latest version" kind of an answer. Then someone else there thinks they may have updated the LSD on the 4.4 units and not the stock 4.06 like mine. It's all rather murky.

Doh! That was roughly when we reckon this was first purchased.

Update: it seems the LSD is in the car. Talk about quick! Jon will do his usual test drive and check up routine today. If all the stars align I should have it back tonight.

Funny, I think my PSS tires are also scheduled to also come in today.

RYU, what size wheels/tires will you be running with the PSSs?

FWIW, I've just grown accustomed to the OSG LSD chattering. Freaks everyone else out but I don't even seem to recognize the sound anymore. And I'm going back to the 4.06 too. After a certain torque level, any higher just seems excessive.

Not to mention, this is the last 5spd OSG LSD in the country, maybe the world. OSG Japan has a minimum order of 10 qty and last they told me, they only had 3 prepaid in the world.

There are quite a few OS Giken LSDs for the NSX on ebay, although the vendors might be lying like those who say "8
in stock".

There are quite a few OS Giken LSDs for the NSX on ebay, although the vendors might be lying like those who say "8
in stock".

I contacted a few of them before. They ended up being bogus in terms of inventory. The ones I contacted ended up cancelling the sale. I contacted 2 online vendors who were out of the norm NSX vendors. Same story... After they checked with OSG USA... No dice.

Granted, maybe there is a shop out there that would stock a super low volume, rare part, but I'll bet not.

- - - Updated - - -

RYU, what size wheels/tires will you be running with the PSSs?

FWIW, I've just grown accustomed to the OSG LSD chattering. Freaks everyone else out but I don't even seem to recognize the sound anymore. And I'm going back to the 4.06 too. After a certain torque level, any higher just seems excessive.
Will post some pics shortly with additional detail.

So far so good on all fronts. I want to put another 20 miles or so before commenting.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using a new image host so not sure if this shows up properly. Please let me know if you don't see the pics.
[MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION] the wheels and tires specs are below
18x7.5 +43 --- 225/35-R18
19x9.5 +36 --- 265/30-R19

In the pics i'm using a 15mm spacer in the front and a 5mm spacer in the rear. I have extended studs all around. You can see in the pics that with the downforce fenders I have tons of room. I can probably bet away with 20mm and 25mm if I really push it in the front. In the rear I had to use the 5mm spacer to clear the calipers.

Someday I might consider widening the front track some more but since this is a street setup I don't care too much to do so for handling purposes. My track wheels fit perfectly.

Before: With my 17/18 CE28n's. I'm mounting my R-Comps on these and will be my dedicated track set

After: You can see how much room there is the front fenders. You can also see the 225's aren't as bulgy and are rather flat (not stretched) on the 7.5" wheel. The 265 PSS's fit the same in the rears.

I noticed very little chatter in the LSD so far. I've only heard it "click" twice driving around today. I think it does it most when semi-hard on throttle accelerating into a tight turn. For the most part.. left and right turns have been drama free. I'll report more as I rack up more miles... Maybe I have the new version with the additional oil passages...? Too early to tell.

Regan,

I REALLY dislike chattering performance LSDs for the street. For that reason, I was looking at the ATS silent 1.5-way LSD for my 5-speed. They also have a "silent" carbon available too.

I've always heard great things about ATS... Did you consider their offerings?

Thanks.

Regan,

I REALLY dislike chattering performance LSDs for the street. For that reason, I was looking at the ATS silent 1.5-way LSD for my 5-speed. They also have a "silent" carbon available too.

I've always heard great things about ATS... Did you consider their offerings?

Thanks.
I did consider ATS. I even considered the Mugen version since my buddy locally is selling one (No I don't know who makes it for Mugen). At the end of the day, since I don't ever want to open my transmission ever again, god willing.. I went with a tried and true performer. Not to say ATS isn't even better... I just don't know anyone who has one. The OSG is universally approved by all of my local contacts and from folks I trust - this primarily led to my decision despite full knowing it will chatter. On that note, I'm having quite a hard time getting this to chatter. I can easily get it to chatter in a tight turn under decently heavy acceleration. Only a few more thousands of miles will help me come to a conclusion. For now... I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps it's my tall 4.06 gearing.

I've come a point in my build where i'm desperately trying to finish it. I no longer have the luxury or the budget to keep trying new parts which has been the pattern thus far.

If you do try the ATS please let me know how it works!! You're one of the few folks who's opinion I weigh heavily.

To others who are following... I forgot how much NVH the thin 18/19 tires transmit :( :( :(

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like my image host finally received some interim funding to keep going. Their webapp has been down the past few days LOL. Photobucket is terrible.

Here is the before photo with the 17/18 gunmetal CE28N's. These will now have my R-Comps mounted on them for track use. Continental Extremecontact DW anyone?
IMG_20160120_150520_zps04pewdhr.jpg

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tread blocks. I can see why these would be decent in the rain.
IMG_20160120_150659_zpszbr7vdcb.jpg

Fronts (had to source from tire rack exclusively) No one else seems to have these yet. If your shop says they can get it.. they are probably getting them from tirerack
IMG_20160120_150637_zpsql6sqefz.jpg

Rears
IMG_20160120_151440_zpsmeq2mg1l.jpg

The tire bead is quite inset from the tire wall. Explains the wider tread width and some tire wall curb rash protection.
IMG_20160120_150720_zpsywyju69j.jpg

You can see here the amount of bulge/stretch on these tires. There's almost zero amounts of either. It's pretty flat for both front and rear. To Billy's point a little bit of stretch would be ideal so these might be optimal for 8" wheels. I doubt I have the driver skill to notice the difference. Also notice I have installed a 15mm H&R spacer here with extended studs. There is still quite a bit of room left with the DF fenders. Offset of wheels are +43 at 7.5" width with -2.3 of camber. I can probably push it another 10mm in offset and still be ok.
IMG_20160120_161408_zps9ceidpcy.jpg

These are not the High Pad version of the CEs so irregardless of offset I still needed spacers to clear the calipers in front.
IMG_20160120_161428_zpstz7t1c8m.jpg

5mm spacers required for the rear to clear the calipers. Fitment is just about perfect for the rears though I worry if I remove some camber it may rub. The alignment is currently at -2.7 camber in the rear. We didn't have time to reset the offset bushings to achieve a -2.0--2.3 camber which is my norm.
IMG_20160120_161400_zpsysggnfn4.jpg

These are my current alignment settings which I found randomly on IG. Looks like the tech posted on IG. I hope to readjust the rear camber soon. It's funny how it's all red lol
Screenshot_20160121-073113_zpssmnmpfob.png

And this is the car after a wash. I hardly ever wash this car but she cleans up pretty well I guess
IMG_20160120_171430_zps5vvejw8b.jpg

Awesome stance!

Looks great!!! Can't wait to get my wheels on.

You're on uneven ground, but park on a flat concrete surface and measure the height from the ground to the bottom of your front (and rear) jack tab. What's your ride height/rake?

Back