• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Thanks guys! I think she's looking pretty snazzy too!

It's too bad the 17/18 ride better and accelerates faster :(

I'm usually around .25" rake, never to exceed 1/2" and never past 0 rake.

I'll measure where she's at now.
[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] here's what I noticed immediately with the new alignment, LSD, and PSS tires. In mid turn she will understeer under throttle and oversteer off throttle. Both can occur almost on demand and slow and controllable. Does this mean its a relatively nuetral setup?

P.s. I feel like I still have a lot of damping tuning to accomplish.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=32084]B97GPWB[/MENTION] my pm is full

LTMW in El Monte did a great job on my DF fender install. Good luck!

Did about 150 miles of mixed driving this wknd. Half of that were logged in the Malibu canyons.

The 225/35-18 front tires have some very minor rub at full lock and very hard left hand turns. I'm pretty sure this will rub on the corkscrew @ MRLS.
[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION], yes 0 rear to lol. I was warned by Nick that higher powered NSX's tend to toe out under power. I'll see how it goes. [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] runs 0 toe iirc but he was fast with a oversteery car lol

Loving these tires so far except for the mild acceleration penalty due to size.

Btw... In all the driving I logged yesterday I could count on one hand how many times the LSD chattered. Maybe it'll get worse as it breaks in? [MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=30599]prym8[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Most interesting thread as you have gone through most of the questions and issues I have been facing.
I regret having not seen it before.
I had an OS Giken short ratio diff fitted at one point in time and while I liked the fact that the short ratio brought my gear shifting speeds very close to a 911 GT3 ( except that I didn't have a 6th gear!), I hated the grating noise the diff made in tight corners taken slowly.
As I had a spare gearbox, I upgraded it to a NSX-R spec diff and ...it runs great with no inner wheel spin even with my 400 rwhp.
I will dismantle the OS Giken diff to see if everything is normal inside and apply some [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] recipes.
On the air/oil separator side, I've installed a Moroso unit in a closed loop system with the air intake ( before the turbo) as a vacuum source.
I haven't tested it on track so far?
It would be interesting to know how the separator is mounted on the Nissan GTR's?
On the tire side, I've seen that the PSS tires exist in 205/45*17 and 265/35*18.
Following [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION]'s article, I noticed that the tread width of the 205's is not much smaller than the 225...
I chose some Pirelli P Zero Corsa's in those dimensions on my CE 28N's ( called P Zero Trofeo in the USA) that work very well on track ...until it rains!
Pity I can't try your car with the JRZ dampers.

Last edited:
Did about 150 miles of mixed driving this wknd. Half of that were logged in the Malibu canyons.

The 225/35-18 front tires have some very minor rub at full lock and very hard left hand turns. I'm pretty sure this will rub on the corkscrew @ MRLS.
[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION], yes 0 rear to lol. I was warned by Nick that higher powered NSX's tend to toe out under power. I'll see how it goes. [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION] runs 0 toe iirc but he was fast with a oversteery car lol

Loving these tires so far except for the mild acceleration penalty due to size.

Btw... In all the driving I logged yesterday I could count on one hand how many times the LSD chattered. Maybe it'll get worse as it breaks in? [MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=30599]prym8[/MENTION]
All NSXs toe-out under compression. Not 'just' high hp cars... it's inherent in the car's geometry.

That's your instability problem. You REALLY need to get some rear toe-IN put back in asap. illwillem has a big wing and his car is too loose. FX's TA car never ran 0 rear toe.

Where's it rubbing at full lock? The chassis by the footwell? You can hammer that in a bit to dent it and get clearance.

All NSXs toe-out under compression. Not 'just' high hp cars... it's inherent in the car's geometry.

That's your instability problem. You REALLY need to get some rear toe-IN put back in asap. illwillem has a big wing and his car is too loose. FX's TA car never ran 0 rear toe.

Where's it rubbing at full lock? The chassis by the footwell? You can hammer that in a bit to dent it and get clearance.
I could see the toe out condition in a stock NSX. However, I have the non-compliance rear bushings and toe links. There are should be no compliance in that section of the suspension. I have to fix the massive negative camber back there anyway so I might add a little toe-in back :)

Even with all the non-compliance, a toe-out condition will occur @stuntman?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it seems the rubbing at full lock is occurring somewhere in the inner fender. The rubbing under hard compression with moderate steering angle (not a lot) occurs at the outer fenders somewhere. I have to investigate further.

I could see the toe out condition in a stock NSX. However, I have the non-compliance rear bushings and toe links. There are should be no compliance in that section of the suspension. I have to fix the massive negative camber back there anyway so I might add a little toe-in back :)

Even with all the non-compliance, a toe-out condition will occur @stuntman?
Yes, while the non compliance will reduce bushing deflection and increased change in the alignment; I will reiterate: the toe-out under compression is inherent in the car's geometry.

Unless you change the hard points (pick-up points) of the geometry of the suspension, this will not change. You really should have some toe-in at the back. Almost all professional roadracing cars have toe-in at the rear.

I did consider ATS. I even considered the Mugen version since my buddy locally is selling one (No I don't know who makes it for Mugen). At the end of the day, since I don't ever want to open my transmission ever again, god willing.. I went with a tried and true performer. Not to say ATS isn't even better... I just don't know anyone who has one. The OSG is universally approved by all of my local contacts and from folks I trust - this primarily led to my decision despite full knowing it will chatter. On that note, I'm having quite a hard time getting this to chatter. I can easily get it to chatter in a tight turn under decently heavy acceleration. Only a few more thousands of miles will help me come to a conclusion. For now... I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps it's my tall 4.06 gearing.

Thanks for the feedback. Happy to hear you enjoy yours!

If I decide to yank out my carbon clutch in the future I may take the plunge and be the guinea pig on the carbon ATS LSD :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know Billy. I had not studied the suspension geometry that closely but happy to take your advice on this. Thank you!!

Instead of studying it, I recommend you invest in a DIY alignment setup and make suspension changes yourself so you can tell what settings feel best to you!

Instead of studying it, I recommend you invest in a DIY alignment setup and make suspension changes yourself so you can tell what settings feel best to you!

I can relate to your sentiment completely Dave. However, as I eluded to earlier, i've run out of space (no more garage) but more importantly, run out of patience wrenching on this car. Other priorities in life is getting in the way, but in a good way. My focus on the car has also deviated. For example, I had an absolute BLAST yesterday driving this car but was getting a little lazy to pull over to change the damping settings or adjusting tire pressures. On a side note, I wish I had a type of Tein EDFC adjustable damping setup for the JRZs. Maybe that's a project for later this year.

I'm considering hiring a setup person. [MENTION=6942]ryneen[/MENTION] recommended to me a gentleman from Orange County who helped setup his car. Now that my car is in a stable state (except maybe a spring change to go even softer in rates) it would make sense to hire for some professional help.

Ryu,
Glad your lsd is working well. I think you will love it on the track.

I am getting heavier weight fluid in mine on wednesday and can report back if it helped with my clunking.

Ryu,
Glad your lsd is working well. I think you will love it on the track.

I am getting heavier weight fluid in mine on wednesday and can report back if it helped with my clunking.
We used the OSGiken 80w-250 Full synthetic gear oil. I believe it made all the difference. You ought to consider using their formulation.

The only draw back... getting into 1st gear when cold is a little challenging. However, I just use 2nd gear to take off softly. When cold i'd say it won't go into first 25% of the time. However, it's not that cold here in Los Angeles.

I can't wait to try this at the track. It's been a lot of fun in the canyons. The rear (even with my wacky toe settings lol) is much more confidence inspiring.

IMG_0013_1.JPG

Tried to get on video the occasional clunk from the LSD. I couldn't get it on video. Of course, as I was driving home it happened once. I'm really having a tough time getting this thing to make noises. I can certainly confirm it's working but perhaps I got lucky.

This is a short video of a full U-turn at reaching full lock. Moderate throttle.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZV_b18BjYfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The prototype S2k cluster is pretty cool too.

was that an illegal U turn:tongue:

I have a small treat for you guys. I was able to follow this white pre-production prototype thru Latigo Canyon in Malibu. It's about 10-12 miles or so of medium to tight canyon roads with nice elevation changes. One of my favorite roads in Socal. They had their street tire equivalent Continentals on the car. It was an amazing experience. They did not hold back. I was keeping up but it was a fast pace even if only the engineers were driving (not professional drivers). There were glimpses of just incredible traction from this car. I wish I had it on video.

IMG_20160207_184257_zpsqmbdqk3r.jpg

I must say the JRZ's, OS Giken LSD and the Michelin PSS's were great. However, i'm too low in the front. Even with 9k front springs i'm bottoming out somewhere on the inside upper frame I believe. I still wish I could have had this setup in 17/18.

neat, so are you thinking the new car has pretty good mechanical grip with so so tire?...also try increasing the bump settings on your front dampers if your rake is within spec.See if that helps with the tire contact.was the driver of the white car braking at the correct times ? you can tell following someone if they have above average skills.

neat, so are you thinking the new car has pretty good mechanical grip with so so tire?...also try increasing the bump settings on your front dampers if your rake is within spec.See if that helps with the tire contact.was the driver of the white car braking at the correct times ? you can tell following someone if they have above average skills.
I feel like i'm not too bad at gauging someone's skills but in this instance there were too many variables (i.e. it's a pre-production car, not theirs, they were on the job, might have been unfamiliar road to them, etc). Coupled with the fact that he was the lead, a lot of blind corners, occasional neighbor traffic, and 2 bikers, our cautionary instincts were on full alert. When there was an open stretch of road with clear visibility thru the turn, he really opened her up. Most of those turns were on avg 25-50mph but the way that car accelerates from apex to turn out is ridiculous. Has to be those EV driven front *torquey* wheels... Has to be... My NSX is no slouch and I was on it pretty good. For example, it was 55F ambient and my oil temps got up to 215F+.

It was such a delight talking to them after the run. They are absolutely enthusiasts just like we are. They were as stoked to see my NSX as I was to see theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point on the damper adjustments. I might try that next time.

I remember you liked the idea of a in car remote damper adjustment tool.....I got to drive a car equipped with the tein edfc in Arizona many moons ago and even though it was just for rebound it was pretty damn convenient. I think there would be a market for a universal retrofit device esp if you could get it to adjust bump and rebound....

I remember you liked the idea of a in car remote damper adjustment tool.....I got to drive a car equipped with the tein edfc in Arizona many moons ago and even though it was just for rebound it was pretty damn convenient. I think there would be a market for a universal retrofit device esp if you could get it to adjust bump and rebound....

It's been on the back of mind for a couple of years now. It would be a significant undertaking and when I have some free time I may pick up a 3D printer to figure out the mounting system. It really would be quite an awesome tool though. My dampers have the ability to be a great damper for most occasions but its just too damn inconvenient to get out of the car, open the hood, find my adjustment tool, and turn all 8 knobs, often multiple times in one drive. Right now, i'm at a "middle ground" setting and i'm not fully exploiting the capabilities of the JRZs. It's a bit of a shame when i'm leaving some of that performance on the table.

RYU's &quot;properly molested&quot; NSX build thread

I wanted to check back with my OS Giken noises. Here it is with mostly 10w30 Honda MTF, mixed about 3 to 1 with Amsoil 75w90. In these sound clips you should hear an unmistakeable KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

clip 1

clip 2

We are switching it out today for Motul 70w140. Hopefully this is heavy enough oil to quiet it down, because I am concerned about the wear on the synchros when going with the 80w250 OS Giken fluid.

Last edited:
I wanted to check back with my OS Giken noises. Here it is with mostly 10w30 Honda MTF, mixed about 3 to 1 with Amsoil 75w90. In these sound clips you should hear an unmistakeable KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

clip 1

clip 2

We are switching it out today for Motul 70w140. Hopefully this is heavy enough oil to quiet it down, because I am concerned about the wear on the synchros when going with the 80w250 OS Giken fluid.

I had exactly the same noises from my OS Giken but I don't remember what oil grade was used.
Quite embarassing when you park the car in the paddock next to the latest Porsches...

Just listened to both videos [MENTION=30599]prym8[/MENTION]. That's very noticeable. Please let us know if the heavier oil resolves it.

Quick update. The 18" wheel and tire package has aggravated the NVH I already had in the front end mostly from the ball joints I think. I decided to refresh all of the steering parts and swap to a set of slightly used pair of spindles, ball joints, wheel hub bearing assemblies from a wrecked 2004 NSX, and a brand new steering rack, tie rods, etc... I had purchased some these a long while back and glad to finally get around to installing these.

Thanks to a good friend locally who was able to find a brand new OEM steering rack. These things are discontinued and it appears there is no stock anywhere in North America. Phew.. I got lucky.. AGAIN.

New Manual Steering Rack
IMG_20160220_131903_zpsoocqvjge.jpg

Misc Steering parts
IMG_20160220_131859_zpswskziusi.jpg

Pulled these out of storage finally.
IMG_20160221_130641_zpstflvtks8.jpg

Nice photo from @MrNickG on instagram
3D3B2346_zps4kzzn2ol.jpg

Streets of Willow track day with [MENTION=25108]illwillem[/MENTION]. I'm bummed because it appears my session with Corvettes did not record on my gopro. Apparently if the GoPro runs out of battery midstream it looses the entire recording. LAAAAAAAAAAAAME. It was a good session too. I passed 2 Corvettes which made my day. Albeit.. they were kind of slow.
download_20160213_171128_zpscow0x47o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BTW.. .ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR DIP STICK BEFORE A TRACK SESSION. No further comment on this............. LOL

Back