• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

AHAHAH, Why dont you tell the world what happens when you *think* you push the dipstick all the was down but actually don't. Lucky you has some nice handsome fellow there to help clean everything up.

Let's just say that one *could* potentially leave >2 quarts of fresh engine oil on the track and into every single crevice nook and cranny in the engine bay. I suppose that *could* happen...

Thanks for the help cleaning up man!!! I'm glad we can laugh about it now. It wasn't so funny leaving the track after getting meatballed like that.

It's been on the back of mind for a couple of years now. It would be a significant undertaking and when I have some free time I may pick up a 3D printer to figure out the mounting system. It really would be quite an awesome tool though. My dampers have the ability to be a great damper for most occasions but its just too damn inconvenient to get out of the car, open the hood, find my adjustment tool, and turn all 8 knobs, often multiple times in one drive. Right now, i'm at a "middle ground" setting and i'm not fully exploiting the capabilities of the JRZs. It's a bit of a shame when i'm leaving some of that performance on the table.

Check out these 3-way Teins with dual-EDFC's:
EVS-SRC-with-3-Way-assembled-020-resize.jpg

I'm still waiting for that Colorado company to release their all in one magnetic dampers....

interesting so tein is still evolving the edfc..

interesting so tein is still evolving the edfc..
The latest EDFC is pretty cool. It's GPS based with a ECU "brain". It can be active/dynamic and make adjustments multiple times on one lap. If Tein built a quality damper for the NSX (i.e. their line of SRC dampers) I might have consider it. Actually, I did consider being the guinea pig for SRCs but I knew it would require hours and hours of tuning the valving. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. The Tein SRC's are pretty awesome on the S2000.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4074/TEIN-EDFC-ACTIVE-Controller-Suspension-tuning-at-its-best.aspx

i-vR5R58t.jpg

I always said the same...if only their nsx damper was more responsive ....ie better.

Probably best told in person but it was a bonehead mistake on my part. I checked the oil but somehow did not push in the dip stick all the way in.
:frown: I have done this once too. It is kind of a bitch to get the stick back in there with all the ctsc parts in the way. I wish they still sold the ct extended dip stick.

17 pages.... holy cow!

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

Just listened to both videos [MENTION=30599]prym8[/MENTION]. That's very noticeable. Please let us know if the heavier oil resolves it.

I waited 1000mi to see how the 75W-140 did. The diff still clunks but it is better, so you could call it an incremental improvement. Also it is just a little stiff into 1st gear on a cold morning.

Next I am going to add 2qt of 90W-140 and see what that does. Even if there is still a little noise I might just stop there -- I really want to be kind to my transmission.

Last edited:
Hello ryu

I just wanted to say awesome build thread and I was wondering if Ramon works on this car at Niguel motors in Laguna hills.

I waited 1000mi to see how the 75W-140 did. The diff still clunks but it is better, so you could call it an incremental improvement. Also it is just a little stiff into 1st gear on a cold morning.

Next I am going to add 2qt of 90W-140 and see what that does. Even if there is still a little noise I might just stop there -- I really want to be kind to my transmission.
Thanks for the update! Interestingly enough, i've since sprung a leak in my trans. It appears to be coming from the trans main seal. It's getting torn apart again this week.

Hello ryu

I just wanted to say awesome build thread and I was wondering if Ramon works on this car at Niguel motors in Laguna hills.
He does, but not exclusively. Ramon is a great guy

- - - Updated - - -

More updates coming soon... :)

Thanks for the update! Interestingly enough, i've since sprung a leak in my trans. It appears to be coming from the trans main seal. It's getting torn apart again this week.

He does, but not exclusively. Ramon is a great guy

- - - Updated - - -
More updates coming soon... :)
Very cool

I work across the street from Ramon's shop and have seen your car there it looks awesome.

Also congrats on getting your Car on the you tube channel drive.

Walked into the garage one morning and saw this big puddle. Every time this happens $$$$$$ starts flashing thru my eyes. After an inspection from Jon Marting the transmission main seal had failed. It's better than news of a cracked trans housing or something... Jon confirmed that the main seal I got from Honda, which was brand new from when the LSD was installed, was apparently defective. The micrometer showed it was out of spec. Bad luck! There's a new one in there now and I got the car back a few days ago. Unfortunately, I have to get the car realigned again since the rear alignment is wacky. Also, the 80w-250 OS Giken gear oil is thick, but it's not as thick to the touch as I had thought. I was expecting pancake syrup molasses consistency.
IMG_20160317_231523_zpscc2ryg3h.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned this in a prior post but the new steering and suspension parts in the front feel absolutely AMAZING. Totally super duper underated maintenance item. The placebo effect also makes me feel like the front has more downforce due to the underbody lol
IMG_20160304_182024_zpsdk1ter0p.jpg

Also changed to a brand new Works Bell Rapidfix quick release hub. Only the best. There's zero slop in the steering now except maybe a tiny bit in the steering shaft universal joint. At least I can't feel it.. it's more in my head really..
IMG_20160308_133008_zpssrfsqqkt.jpg

I have an appointment with Erik Messner to get the car dialed in further. I think it's ready for some professional TLC. I've taken the NSX about as far as I know how. Only professional tuning can get that extra 10-20% of performance and refinement at this point. Throwing more parts at the car will achieve nothing IMO. I think we have some fine tuning to do with with spring rates, damper settings, sway bars settings, and damper reservoir air pressures. All stuff we can do at the track and canyons. Ideally i'd love to get some time with our very own [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] but i'll be busy cheering for the guy in the new Ford GT!! Go Billy!
http://racing-reference.info/driver/Erik_Messley

Next on the maintenance list are new'ish JDM tail lights. My current JDM lights are pretty beat up and now leaking water into the trunk. It's pretty annoying in a rain storm.
IMG_20160315_195318_zpsyqqhdmha.jpg

BTW.. has anyone had any luck pairing a GoPro Hero4 with Harry's Lap Timer on an Android device (specifically Nexus 5x)?
Screenshot_20160328-214102_zps7acytbmx.png

Happy April Fools!
FB_IMG_1455482983311_zpsbbco2qma.jpg

@S2G-Unit Hard to pin-point. I replaced any and all components that transmit thru to the steering wheel.

* The JRZs have new pillowball mounts top and bottom
* New'ish knuckles with new ball joints top and bottom
* New'ish front hub bearings
* Brand new (discontinued) steering rack
* Brand new outer and inner tie rod ends
* Brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports
* Brand new Works Bell Rapidfix II steering wheel hub
* Momo steering wheel
* New front brake pads
* Non-compliance clamps

The only thing I didn't change are the inner bushings to hard spherical ones and the steering column universal joint. Those are still stock.

Sorry I can't help more. If I was go guess, the biggest single change was either/or the ball joints or steering rack but they all have some slop in them after near 100k miles. I always kid that this must be what it feels like to drive a brand new NSX. It's totally underrated.

Every time a rattle a is fixed, a new sounds seems to develop. 25 year old car symptoms I guess. Glad you got around to it!

Have you ever taken the top, front most part of the dash off? Mine seems to be coming from there. I've heard it's common on the NSX.

Also, nice choice on the works bell quick release. They make good quality stuff. Long ago, I bought an NRG quick release and returned it immediately. It had noticeable play straight out of the box. I realized then that steering is too important to skimp on. Like tires and brakes :)

I'm refreshing an NSX in my shop right now. He's doing full Cedar Ridge suspension upgrades (all spherical bushings, sway links, toe links, KW variant 3, etc) If you want to check it out, I'll let you know when it's put together.

Now following your thread!

Mike B

It's 90% better [MENTION=30565]michaelbrat[/MENTION]. I've gotta come by maybe later tonight? LMK, yea?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm considering driving up to Sonoma Sears Point on Saturday. I'm having a tough time getting an appointment for an alignment though. It's annoying driving this car with wacky alignment. It's not worth a track day really.

Decided to undertake in some Garage Therapy last night.

These copper cheap plugs are looking GREAT! Switched to Iridiums because i'm a glutton for punishment. Maybe.....
IMG_20160411_221928_zpsyrca93de.jpg

IMG_20160411_222905_zpskhpud4qi.jpg

Also tried to check an item off the annoyance list last night. I was defeated. These windshield washer nozzles wouldn't fit in the Procar hood cutouts. I need to file them down.
IMG_20160411_164258_zps9dpdp3sc.jpg

Maybe at some point before I die, I might actually install some blingy parts. I hear thru the grapevine these actually sound pretty good with a blower.
IMG_20160410_183849_zpss5yndt1r.jpg

IMG_20160410_185818_zpsjin8funi.jpg

IMG_20160410_185218_zpszywjasej.jpg

This is so pretty it's mesmerizing
IMG_20160410_185237_zpspistmxig.jpg

I also tried to install my old SOS Short Hub since I found a spacer I liked (finally). Too bad my JDM hub does not want to come off. Grrrrrrrr. I need a puller of some type. #fail
IMG_20160410_183829_zpsrjme1wmd.jpg

IMG_20160410_183756_zpsfsyixs8t.jpg

From the looks of it. Procar. Hope you dont mind me answering.
Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Back