• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I clear bra my new car?

Bought a brand new silver Kia Optima this week. Debating if I should get the hood / bumper / mirrors clear bra'd.

I also have a 2 year old pearl white Nissan that I'm debating if I should get touched up and clear bra'd as well... I hear white may show more of the clear bra yellowing...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I am somewhat OCD so I put InvisibleShield protection on the back up cameras of both of my cars, LOL. Gives me peace of mind to protect the rear back up camera from scratches!!

Last edited:
Isn't a Kia a disposable car?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Perhaps to an elitist and rich spoiled capitalist pig like you!!! :tongue: haha j/k

I guess a Kia is disposable, but we intend to keep this car for at least 5-10 years. It's fully loaded with all the options (it's our "pretend to be entry level luxury car"), and we kept our previous daily drivers for 10-12 years as well.

I've never had any car clear bra'd before, although I plan to get my NSX clear bra'd in the future, when I have the bumper repainted due to all the rock chips on it...

Last edited:
except for constant sun exposure your state is very car friendly,frankly I would rather wash and wax my car than have some film glued to it that will dull over time.

On a silver I would think rock chips wouldn't show too much.

but if you are ocd, then get it done.

OP, your NSX must be freaking hyper PRISTINE if you are so careful with your new KIA!

Like Captain said if your OCD is so big, just get it done so you can sleep well for the next 8 years!! :D

OScar

3M makes a clear vinyl that is more resistant to yellowing. But it cost more to install as most clear bra's are sprayed on these days. Used to be installed like vinyl in panels. Also 3M used to guarantee the finish under their's against rock chips and just about any other damage.

I cant see any bad reason getting a clear 3M bra. Even if its not the coolest car in the world or whatever. Still it will protect the car and the resale value down the line I feel. I would of done it to my subie if I got it near mint. The cars front end isnt any where near mint though.

I was debating on clear bra as well. Scheduled to have it installed Tues on our new baby mobile qx56. Had it done on previous cars when it first came out. Product was sub par imo. From what I've read, the new stuff now are much better like xpel and clearshield.

I was debating on clear bra as well. Scheduled to have it installed Tues on our new baby mobile qx56. Had it done on previous cars when it first came out. Product was sub par imo. From what I've read, the new stuff now are much better like xpel and clearshield.

Where are you getting it done?

Isn't a Kia a disposable car?

are you kidding? hyundai/kia has come a long way. Even so that I'd say they are better/more competitive than the current honda line. Drove the new Optima direct injection turbo, blew my expectations away in evey criteria. About the same quality, fit and finish as the current TL. Disposable? I guess since just about every family sedan is a cost saving cookie cuttermobile.

Yea, I think its worth the clear bra protection if you are that kind of person. I dont have a very nice daily specifically for that reason, I wouldnt want it to get ruined from daily use such as parkinglot dings, chips, idiots, weather, which is unavoidable. Self satisfation is very important.

Last edited:
All I know is I wish I would have put a clear bra on my black NSX. 75,000, 80mph, highway miles ago...
I'm debating having the front bumper repainted, it's so chipped up now that it bothers me.

All I know is I wish I would have put a clear bra on my black NSX. 75,000, 80mph, highway miles ago...
I'm debating having the front bumper repainted, it's so chipped up now that it bothers me.

Do it.

What is the point of having "original paint" if it sucks? A driven car is expected to have repaint done. Have it professionally painted, clear bra it, and I bet you will be infinitely happier afterward.

My take on clear bras is that you're just keeping the car nice and pristine for the next guy you sell it to. It's not like you are going to get any value for it when you sell it in 5-10 years with a pristine paint job... on a daily driven Kia. Sadly, I don't think your next buyer is going to have the same kind of appreciation of your immaculate paint protection skills. :smile:

My take on clear bras is that you're just keeping the car nice and pristine for the next guy you sell it to. It's not like you are going to get any value for it when you sell it in 5-10 years with a pristine paint job... on a daily driven Kia. Sadly, I don't think your next buyer is going to have the same kind of appreciation of your immaculate paint protection skills. :smile:

Honestly, you never know. I've seen come pretty ragged out front bumpers here in the Chicago area where car prices are significantly less pricy compared with another car with a well cared finish. Its definately a selling point in the future. If your car still looks that good when you sell it in a few years, maybe Ill buy it.

Honestly, you never know. I've seen come pretty ragged out front bumpers here in the Chicago area where car prices are significantly less pricy compared with another car with a well cared finish. Its definately a selling point in the future. If your car still looks that good when you sell it in a few years, maybe Ill buy it.

Sure, on a $75,000 car. But remember, this is a Kia Optima. He probably bough it somehwere in the mid $20K. Just how much do you think that car is going to sell for in 10 years with 150,000 miles on it? $5,000 tops, if even that. Just how much of a premium for a pristine front bumper is someone going to spend on a $5,000 or less car? Chances are it's going to be starter/beater car for some teenager and one of the last things they will care about is the condition of the front bumper.

I'm just saying he won't get his money's worth. Putting a clear bra on a $150,000 lambo will probbly pay for itself in the resale value of the car. I just don't see putting a clear bra on a $25,000 car paying for itself. It's just a percentage thing.

I totally see your point and agree with your price/return investment. I dont think with a clear bra a kia will have a drastic price premium like a lambo. Point is, its self fulfillment in the end, and considering how OCD the OP states he is, the rest of his car will look nice so why not have the front end in good condition too. Who knows, it could score him an additional $500 against another optima from a used car buyers perspective. Competition, all it takes is that extra edge.

Sadly, I don't think your next buyer is going to have the same kind of appreciation of your immaculate paint protection skills.
Well, maybe Im like the OP, but I sure care about the previous owners mad paint protection skills. Thats part of the reason why I bought my bmw despite being older and costing a bit more, and a handful of people I know would also appreciate it. It may be a $6000 car in 10 years, but thats still $6000 that some kid will work hard for to buy. just my 0.02, cause I was that kid once.:smile:

Point is, its self fulfillment in the end, and considering how OCD the OP states he is, the rest of his car will look nice so why not have the front end in good condition too.

True, true. If's he's doing it for his own peace of mind, then it's totally worth it. Sounds like he's already convinced himself into getting it just the way he's asking the question.

But if he really is as OCD as he states, he should then clear bra the entire car. :biggrin::tongue::biggrin: And put the plastic sofa covers over his seats too. :biggrin::biggrin:

Funny, just ordered a '12 Kia Optima SX Premium Touring car in white. First place it will go is to the clear bra installer.

True, true. If's he's doing it for his own peace of mind, then it's totally worth it. Sounds like he's already convinced himself into getting it just the way he's asking the question.

But if he really is as OCD as he states, he should then clear bra the entire car. :biggrin::tongue::biggrin: And put the plastic sofa covers over his seats too. :biggrin::biggrin:

LOL so true Bryan!!!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am still debating, because our 11 year old Honda Accord is still in excellent paint condition even without clear bra. :)

I am so OCD that I also wrapped my intelligent remotes with hard shell covers to protect them from scratches LOL. :D

And put the plastic sofa covers over his seats too.

Oh noooo LOL hahahhha. Funny you say that, 18 years ago when I had my first car a 95 Prelude SE, I would wrap the leather seats with big trash bags to prevent wear as I drove around. ALso, ridged my own clear bra with tape and saran wrap on the lude for a road trip. That however, was an epic fail as highway speeds ripped off the wrap lol. Crazy thing is, I loved that car so much back then that I bought a 240sx cause I wouldnt bring it to college with me. Its now 2011 and I still have that prelude sitting in my garage with 60k on it. Didnt think it would end up this way. Seats still look new.

Where are you getting it done?

Autopaint Guard in Tampa. Ryan is the owner and has done thousands of cars.
You can expect to see an exotic there on any given day. Italia 458 was there today. Great job.

I think you should remove all the steel body panels and replace them with clear plastic see through panels. That would be cool!

Back