• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

simply amazing... tires worn out already

john,

sorry to hear about your tire/alignment problem... hopefully you're on the road to recovery now.

likely you already know this, but when buying tires from tirerack.com you only have to pay an extra $.25 for *two day* delivery with ... which i find is a pretty good deal. (i am *not* affiliated with them)

again, best of luck with your alignment and new set of tires.
hal

John,

You don't need any Acura dealer to do a proper world-class alignment. All you need is a shop that uses a Hunter alignment machine (I don't remember the model number, but it's probably somewhere in the faq section of this site). This alignment should cost no more than about $50-60.

Also, for what it's worth, my original Yokos went bald at exactly 5,000 miles (rears). Knowing this, I bought Dunlop SP9000's, had the alignment rechecked and set to exactly factory specs (Hunter machine), and 4,000 miles later the SP9000's started to show some inside tread wear. They're not 4-corner tires like Yokos, so I rotated them left/right (dismount/remount/balance), and they're running like new tires. At the current rate of wear I predict a total 15-20,000 miles for rears. Total set cost me about $900, including lifetime rotation and balance costs (Discount Tire).

There's no question that these SP9000's understeer, compared with the Yokos, but they still grip like hell in the corners, they're much quieter than the Yokos (you can actually hear your passenger talk with the T-top off), they're top-notch tires in the rain because of the aggressive water-shedding tread design, and they're way more economical. My only reservation is the loss in over-steer, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make in exchange for all the benefits.

Best luck.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Here's a new update of my fiasco last Friday.

I called the dealership at 1:30pm(4hrs since I dropped off my car) to see how things were going. On multiple occasions, they had told me that they needed half a day to work on the car and that it would be ready by 3pm. So I was thinking they they'd at least started work on the car and have a preliminary status on what they found. The response I got back was "Sorry, we haven't started work on your car."

I'm shocked that they haven't even touched my car. So I ask the Service Manager, "wasn't making the appointment as early as possible so that I can get my car back as early as possible?" The Service Manager couldn't respond to that. Again, I'm starting to get a "little pissed off" and I ask him if there's ANY doubt that the car won't be finished by 3pm as he had promised. He puts me on hold for a few minutes and then tells me, "I checked with the service technician and the alignment work on the NSXs are very sophisticated and it won't be ready by 3pm". After a deep breath, I tell him that I'm on my way right now and will pick up my car.

In a way, I'm glad that these guys didn't touch my car. Many of the NSX owners near the Seattle area have highly recommended Acura of Lynnwood as their choice and that they too, have had bad experiences w/Bellevue. So, I called Lynnwood after picking up my car car. Even over the phone, they were friendly, helpful, and supportive so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment through Acura of Lynnwood for this Wednesday.

I am going to write up a very nice letter to Acura of Bellevue and let them know that I will never use their service department ever again.

[This message has been edited by johndoh (edited 22 May 2001).]

Originally posted by johndoh:
"...the alignment work on the NSXs are very sophisticated ...".

What a load of crap. If the tech has done a few and has a brain, it is actually very simple. Of course it takes a bit longer than a simple front-only alignment, but with a decent computerized rack it’s not a tough or lengthy job.

When I first picked up my used 95T, I noticed that it had very wierd lift throttle behaviour in high speed (60+mph) turns. Upon checking the alignment, the rears had 6mm toe in EACH!!!!! The total was supposed to be 6mm!

In any case, my tires have lasted or extrapolated to last about 12-15k miles in each of my three NSX's - including some track miles.

Back