• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Single or twin turbo?

Dave, before you go off offending a bunch of people (lol) let it suffice to say that I have a lot of respect for the guys chiming in on this thread. I listen to them because they aren't "Bench Racers" but choose to log into prime to share their knowledge.

There's always a compromise between choosing an FI system for each individual. Pros/Cons with each and there is no clear winner here. If you objectively rate each of these kits with broad criterias (complexity, longevity, efficiency, cost, legality, etc) they will all probably have very similar overall ratings but each category will vary widely.

Regan you aren't telling me anything I don't know and haven't said. Read my post, it says "My personal opinion remains" and I was talking about premade kits. I don't think it is necessary to take offense to a post that states "In my opinion" because someone's particular devotion lies elsewhere. We can just talk facts.

Anyway I consider Jim a friend and never meant to offend him. I'm not an asshole on this site, I think I am pretty respectful of everyone.

I don't need to say if you already know it. LOL.

I'm not offended Dave.
Yes, I was being just a little sarcastic, LOL, and I do consider you a friend as well. You ask great questions and have learned a lot.
But....I would like to see you get a little more experience about building motors & gearboxes, what they can and can't do, and being on track so you can actually speak from real experience before being so anal about telling everyone what works and doesn't work though about things you post.
Just saying :)...don't be another keyboard racer.

One thing I've learned over the years racing NSX's is that what works in theory on a keyboard doesn't always work in real life in racing or in the pounding our cars take continually while on track. There's a big difference in doing causal track day sessions and going out on track and really pushing the car hard lap after lap and not letting up for 30 minutes at a time.

I've run NA, SC and Turbo over the years in NSX's I've owned and have seen the benefits and negatives to all of them. How stock motors handle the various FI outputs and what their short comings are.
I have real experience building motors and gearboxes and have seen first hand what they go through by these various outputs and levels from 400 HP to 800 HP. I can and will surely tell you that any stock motor running 450+ rwhp with high torq numbers can not handle it for very long when tracked on a continuous basis hard, nether can the gearboxes. They were never designed to handle twice the rwhp power or torq.

Torq is a major factor on gearbox failure, period. I have broken enough of them to know. Ask FXMD how many they've broken that Nick and I have rebuilt for them. They now have 4 or 5 as spares :) Nick has developed a SC (More on that to come) that we are in the process of testing that is making 500+ rwhp with less torq and since the power curve is so linear it is much easier on the gearbox than turbo's are because of the way they hit. Now, I've never driven a twin turbo, so indeed that could be totally different. But then again, I don't have the budget to spend twice as much :) I'd rather spend my money out on the track for tires, brake pads, rotors, etc...:)

On a race track, how we put the power down is a big factor of being fast and the wear and tear on the various components. You can have all the power in the world and if you can't put it on the ground or things continue to break, it's worthless. How much power we run is a balancing act of maximizing power/handling in the class we run, who we run with and and end the end, how fast we want to go. Again it goes back to usable power on the ground and being able to control that power. Which becomes a personal issue and driving style. Whats good for one person may or may not be for everyone or everything.

Many factors come into play when you decide to compete, budget, maintenance, repairs, what class your running in and skill level.
As far as turbo's go, no doubt twins are the way to go to a point. Since they are in fact usually smaller and have less lag since and they spool up faster. I also believe they generate twice the heat and they also end up costing twice as much all said and done. Go with a bigger single and you have more to work with for higher HP and boost wise but here comes the dreaded lag, more potential for damage...but less costly. Its a catch 22.

Having driven both for a few years, for my style of driving, I like the SC, much easier to predict and control. No matter how you cut it, 525 HP is still 525 HP. They both go fast. I tend to be a momentum driver so I am not comfortable with boost that makes me feel I'm being shot out of a cannon along for the ride and on the verge of being out of control. How you get to that fast is all about what is confidence inspiring and gives you the feeling you can throw your car around, use every bit of the power at hand with confidence without guessing when and where you can put the peddle to the metal. I would rather be fast in and out of the corners than drag race down straightaways.

I don't run wheel to wheel with my car. Thought about it, but have no interest in trading paint with my NSX. So I run TTU. Any TT class is about running as hard as you can bettering your times with every lap. It can be wheel to wheel at times as well, but there is a bit more courtesy, suppose to be anyway. Personally I find that running TT is harder on our motors and gearboxes since we are always pushing harder each lap for better times with semi open tracks in front of us.

I think Dave's system is very well done, I like the numbers he's producing and I think it will be a great system for those that want to travel down that path.
I would like to drive a twin set up on track one day to see how if feels.

Anyway I consider Jim a friend and never meant to offend him. I'm not an asshole on this site, I think I am pretty respectful of everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL...

Well, it was kind of offensive to me but i'm nobody in these parts and I get over it after you tell me "cuz Billy said so" :) :D

Last edited:
But he only thing is 525 HP is not 525 HP if it heat soaks. I don't know how you plan to keep the heat out. Kip Olson had a 3.5L with a 2.3L blower I believe and Shad got rid of it and went to a turbo. The thing you can do better with a turbo is keep heat out. I am not doubting that you broke parts. But the system Dave has builds boost so fast and it is so linear. And he may get actual control of the vanes Via an AEM Infinity allowing endless tuning possibilities.

3.5L motor with a 2.3 blower is nothing but a hot box to begin with.
To put a blower on basically a stroker motor is nothing more than building a hand grenade.

OK, I'm sold, buy Dave's set up for me, LOL.

But he only thing is 525 HP is not 525 HP if it heat soaks. I don't know how you plan to keep the heat out. Kip Olson had a 3.5L with a 2.3L blower I believe and Shad got rid of it and went to a turbo. The thing you can do better with a turbo is keep heat out. I am not doubting that you broke parts. But the system Dave has builds boost so fast and it is so linear. And he may get actual control of the vanes Via an AEM Infinity allowing endless tuning possibilities.

Regan that's because you horde all the information to yourself. All hidden in some lab like a mad scientist with your HKS stuff and your thermostats and shit.... This is a first I have heard you actually tested and got good results an an actual track. So spill the beans man, why are you keeping a brother down.... :D

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I'm sold, buy Dave's set up for me, LOL.

LOL... I would do a group buy if he let me. I can call aerodyne and tell them I have a massive group buy order of 6 turbos. haha

Last edited:
If you were actually reading the posts, you would have seen Regan's post about it.

"Just a small tid bit to add. I was ready to ditch my CTSC all together because of the heatsoak. It would easily get into 90-100C at the track. I then added Water Injection and it was amazing at the last track event. Temps ever got above 55C. Still aiming for sub 40C and will get there if it's below 100F ambient. Also trying a new phenolic insulation spacer I helped Adnan develop for the CTSC."

Regan that's because you horde all the information to yourself. All hidden in some lab like a mad scientist with your HKS stuff and your thermostats and shit.... This is a first I have heard you actually tested and got good results an an actual track. So spill the beans man, why are you keeping a brother down.... :D

- - - Updated - - -

LOL... I would do a group buy if he let me. I can call aerodyne and tell them I have a massive group buy order of 6 turbos. haha

No, not what I meant. Not interested in a group buy, want to to buy it for me with your money.

Dave, its no secret. I've mentioned it on several post. i just don't go advertising my successes unless its valid for the topic. you need to include my posts in the 1000hrs of reading that you do every night ;)

again, like with most things, its all a compromise. the water injection isn't perfect but its cheap and works pretty darn well if sized properly.

it will work fine w/o the hks or any other ems.

I read that. I just haven't see his actual thread about it. Photos... details... and stuff. Regan did you post more info elsewhere?

I read that. I just haven't see his actual thread about it. Photos... details... and stuff. Regan did you post more info elsewhere?
LOL

You make it sound like i'm obligated to provide such results. The photos and details and stuff... do you know how much work that is???

Take my recommendation for what's it worth. I'm saying it works. Allocate some of your 1000hrs and read thru my post history. Sorry, there's a lot of junk to weed thru

Ive seen and rode in both systems and they are both great. I feel funny about the cradle(which all the systems use but 2) that SOS uses and one of the air filters is not real easy to change but i'd buy it in a heartbeat with a smile. Dave's systems is great too, but i dont like the price of the turbo's, again i'd buy in a heartbeat since i know him and his work. Again both great systems. I think the intent of use is a better model to go off. Single vs twin, i dont know. you can make a single FEEL like twins and vice versa. I would think a track driver would want the simplest system to maintain on the car since it be beat beaten up, that met the horsepower goals. Both have been track proven, its hard to say which one is better which i personally dont believe there is a "better", just different designs and what somebody is comfortable with. Also the price point, all twins are about the same, the singles have a little more range.

Dave made a good system better and SOS made a system that let owners keep cats and the exhaust of choice. Both great in choices but its a personal thing.

To answer Dimers question, since he has decided turbo, twins properly setup would most likely give you the pro's of a s/c'd system with out any of the cons.

Good posts, i never get tired of reading about forced induction.

Last edited:
I have driven in NSX's with high boost SC's, twin turbo's, 58mm and 62mm BB turbo's and my personal 67mm journal bearing turbo.
For me, the turbo at the same psi offers better torque and is harder hitting then the SC setup. My 67 hits real hard starting at 4k and just
absolutely screams to redline with no letup. The TT is very nice because full boost is in the low 3k rpm range but IMO runs a little weaker in
the high rpm range. The single 58-62mm bb turbo's just absolutely stuff your kidneys back into the seat at 3500 and do not give up right to the shift point.

All of the cars I am speaking above are rwhp from 390-425rwhp.

For me, right now, my old school journal bearing setup works like a charm. 15k miles in 3 years and its bulletproof. If I were starting from scratch,
a 6262 bb would be the best of both worlds. Full boost at 3600-3800rpm's(7-8psi) or so and plenty of brute force to go 8k without breaking a sweat.

WOW, we may have got a little off topic.

If you had carte blanche, what would you build?

For me based on the question, it really does not matter, given enough money you can have whatever you want. You can buy the right parts or build them, break them, fix them, and repeat untill you have exactly what you wanted. Lets just hope when you finally get what you wanted it is really what you needed.

I am of the opinion that if you want to track a NSX at much over 400whp, you will need carte blanche to keep it going. This is not a cheap hobby, the more you try and complete with the big boys the higher the cash burn will be. I decided a long time ago not to go down that path, build within the limits not try and find new ones, refine your design, test your design, rinse and repeat.

Dave

Dimer, it's a pity I couldn't make it for the Le Mans outing as you could have driven my single turbo LoveFab car.
At my power level that must be around 400 rwhp ( no possible comparaison with my previous CTSC set-up) the car is very driveable.
I personally will not go for more power having allready broken my gearbox.
For racing purposes I believe the less moving parts, the better so I would vote for a single turbo:smile:

hello Dimer,
For track , for your 3.0liters engine, the best turbo is a GT3076R or borgwarner efr7076
The response is very important just after a corner, A gt35r or gt4088r is not the best, believe me.

I finished a S2000 turbo , and borg warner is very powerfull turbo, very fast response and include wastegate+dump valve+solenoid.
http://youtu.be/KgrvVhcWGXA

I can make you a turbo kit similar to mine and elconcombre.

menfou; I can make you a turbo kit similar to mine and elconcombre.[/QUOTE said:
I'm interested, just PMd you Menfou

hello Dimer,
For track , for your 3.0liters engine, the best turbo is a GT3076R or borgwarner efr7076
The response is very important just after a corner, A gt35r or gt4088r is not the best, believe me.

I finished a S2000 turbo , and borg warner is very powerfull turbo, very fast response and include wastegate+dump valve+solenoid.
http://youtu.be/KgrvVhcWGXA

I can make you a turbo kit similar to mine and elconcombre.

That's some nice driving menfou!

Back