• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So I bought an R wing, but..

I've wanted an R wing ever since the first day I bought an NSX, even before..

Today I picked one up. A (Taitec) R wing as the previous owner was informed when he bought it.

Its on, and well.... I'm really really not feelin' it :confused: Makes me :frown:

Thoughts?

I should mention I have a JDM (/ usdm) rear bar with the small plate frame downstairs painted in Brooklands green also, along with a set of Wings West rear skirts, but I have never got around to installing them as I always hoped to find a 02+ rear lower valance instead. But I know if I did that, I'd want the 02+ side skirts and door caps too and then would have to sell the Vinny's skirts I currently have on now.

And can you NA1 guys post up some pics of yours? I thought the R wing was something that really flowed well with the NSX design, but right now I'm thinking otherwise (and contemplating going back to OEM already). The fronts not so bad, but... that rear :eek:

- B

417049_4880328014939_1647699319_n.jpg

16088_4880328294946_1303162699_n.jpg

75253_4880327774933_323671849_n.jpg

395015_4880327574928_1708458334_n.jpg

Hi,

if you install a 02+ rear valence and the 02+ rear tailights, you will see that all makes sence :wink:

the 02+ rear valence really changes completly the look of the rear...02+ tailights not so much....

i also agree that a R wing in a NA1 stock rear looks really bad... that is why i already have 02+ valence and 02+ tailights and left the R wing for last :wink:

just IMHO

Nuno

leave alone you need a trunk lip (02+ style) now, question, that wing looks a bit weird, does it have a brake light? maybe that is one of the reasons that looks cheap?

Can you show a photo from above?

There are different 'designs' of this wing where some manufacturers design the bottom tip that faces the front of the car differently.

Some design it to fit into the groove from the original wing......some replicate the NSXR wing which is meant to stick out a bit further. These that look like the NSXR wing look IMHO more better suited.....

Put the stock wing back on.

Let e say a few things about this:

1) The R wing is not a pretty item. Maybe to a few "NSX guys" on this forum but to the general public it is a hideous add-on (which... It is).

2) if the R wing is not made perfectly like the original with the original shape and angles, it is even uglier.... and to my eye, yours looks off. The sides don't seem to quite have the correct angle and of course the light is missing.

3) things are exaggerated by the lack of a valence for sure.

I've posted several polls. 50% of the guys on this forum, die hard NSX fans who know and love the NSX-R, don't like the wing. Imagine the average eye...

If you have an R replica, the wing works. On anything that is very different than that, like your car, it's going to look tacky. I've worked hard to make mine looked more "integrated"... Mine is an 05, I have a downforce that is a perfect replica, I have added a CF rear window garnish, and now added CF DF-R ducts. My next step is to add a bit of the car's color to a part of the wing (not the sides), and it is just now starting to integrate better.

I'm sorry I respectfully disagree with whrdnsx on this one... if you have to wait for a mod to "grow on you" it's probably not that great. Unless you want to do a whole lot more work on the car, just take it off.

Last edited:
This wing is definitely not the factory R shape. The more I look at it the more I see it. The sides are too upright, and the side walls seem too high. The top doesn't even look right.

I'll say this though.... Nice color... Nice lower bumper, nice wheels. Personally, I would dump the wing, put the stock one on. Get a factory 02 rear valence first, then go to 02 OEM skirts. Your car will look sooooo clean.

Last edited:
turbo is right, I'm not a r wing fan either, on a dumpt nsx it makes the car look higher imo also

I have the DF wing and also the 02 rear valance with DF diffuser and together the package works....racey as it were......ricey is always a subjective thing.......do what makes you happy.

Hmm yes this is an unfortunate mod lol.

Aesthetically speaking, something does appear different about this particular wing. You may feel differently about a downforce one w led. I mean, there are things you can do to make it all work better as the previous posts suggest but I agree w docjohn, do what makes you happy.....

I really thought your car looked great overall w the oem wing but you can't deny the R wing looks great.....sometimes. :)

NSX-R wing looks good if you have the 02+ rear valance and I'd even go as far to say it looks better when you have an 02+ front end too (in angles where you can see the wing and the front). I think it looks quite strange without the brake light too....

Is there any evidence that it is indeed a Taitec replica? I haven't seen a Taitec before but I find it difficult to believe that their version is substantially different than the original.

I've been a part of this community for a while and remember when everyone hated the 02+ facelift and now every other owner is installing the 02+ facelift. And many prefer the facelift to the original. It's funny how tastes change.

Don't let any one tell you that it doesn't take time to find something attractive. It does. However, even if you don't give the new mod some time to "set," don't worry, you can always sell it.

i struggle with this too... i want the downforce, i want the weight reduction, but im not so keen on the looks... to top it off, my money is needed elsewhere. so, i just leave it stock. i might do it if i had the money burning a hole in my wallet, though.

I'm not sure what wing that is but my NSX came with it installed.
I went to the DF R wing and like it TONS better.
The R hood has an arc to it that does a good job of killing the headlights of cars behind you.
With the LED it is more attractive and moreso in CF.
You're not alone in disliking that wing, there are better R options.

I think the last picture says it all. Your car oozes class, which the new wing sort of 'ruins'

Stick with the original, the car was already gorgeous =)

The wing you have is VERY flat. The NSX-R wing has a slight curve to it which flows much better with the car. The one you put on the car, I absolutely despise.

That one does have a slight curve to it. I think you're thinking of the dreamsportz version which is, horrendous.

Back