• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starcraft 2 - not too sure if this will excite you...

but this game had my closed up in my room for years....

watch the trailer... i love their punch line "..its about time..."

http://www.starcraft2.com

:eek:

When I first watched the trailer the first thing in my head was, "Oh No!!!!"

That's because I spent no less than 6 hours a day, every day, for 3.5 years when Starcraft came out. It nearly cost me my engineering degree, my gf at the time and thousands of hours of sleep. I once played for 30 straight and got ranked as high as 48th in the world on the ladder system.

Having said that, I'm juiced! :biggrin: It looks absolutely brilliant. I can't wait for this game. Go Go Go!!!!

When I first watched the trailer the first thing in my head was, "Oh No!!!!"

That's because I spent no less than 6 hours a day, every day, for 3.5 years when Starcraft came out. It nearly cost me my engineering degree, my gf at the time and thousands of hours of sleep. I once played for 30 straight and got ranked as high as 48th in the world on the ladder system.

Having said that, I'm juiced! :biggrin: It looks absolutely brilliant. I can't wait for this game. Go Go Go!!!!

uh oh... hhaha.... :biggrin:

I'll have to go check it out! I was hoping Blizzard's next announcement would be Diablo III, but with Bill Roper having left the company along with most of the Diablo talent to start up Flagship Studios which is due to release Hellgate: London, a Diablo type game later this year, I'm not all that bummed.

Starcraft 2 is certainly LONG overdue though. I was left hanging with the whole Ghost ending.

I see we have the usual Blizzard release date. I'm not ready to get excited yet.

When is the game coming out?
At this point, it's too early to provide an initial estimate on the release date. As with all Blizzard games, we will take as much time as needed to ensure the game is as fun, balanced, and polished as possible.

Very cool! I loved Starcraft!

Starcraft 2 is certainly LONG overdue though. I was left hanging with the whole Ghost ending.

I see we have the usual Blizzard release date. I'm not ready to get excited yet.

.[/I]

My friend has a theory on the late release of Starcraft 2. It's because of the Damn Koreans(I'm korean)!! :tongue: till this date, Koreans are crazy about Starcraft. Last I heard, they had 4 dedicated starcraft channels with "professional" players/teams!!lol :eek:

My friend has a theory on the late release of Starcraft 2. It's because of the Damn Koreans(I'm korean)!! :tongue: till this date, Koreans are crazy about Starcraft. Last I heard, they had 4 dedicated starcraft channels with "professional" players/teams!!lol :eek:

Oh yeah, I am too. I think it is genetically encoded in us to have an irrational obsession with Starcraft.

Wow, I used to play this game, along with Brood War, Warcraft, and Frozen Throne, all the time. It was the way my grad school friends and I would blow off steam in the evenings.

I like Starcraft, but too many EXPERTS playing day and night.

It will be interesting how much of the gameplay is changed/added too. With so many fanatics, any slight change might be resisted.

Protoss pwn. :p

I've been waiting on this one for a long time....
As for the whole Korean thing... I am not Korean but I have an adopted younger brother who is. We were raised in rural Georgia since we were 6 and there weren't many Koreans he could hang out with. So he is pretty "Americanized". Anyway, when SC first came out I invited him up to my dorm room for the weekend since we had liked playing WC2 in HS.

He took to SC2 like nobody I've ever met, and was just a naturally gifted and phenomenal player. It was like he was born to play. We still ocassionally trounce people on bnet to this day.

What is even more interesting is that he and I had radically different play styles and when I was doing some research on SC2 I found that there is a "korean" style of play - when I read the description it was exactly how he played. Clearly he had no cultural influences that could have shaped his skill and desire to play StarCraft... yet he played the "korean" style naturally.

I wonder if there really is some hardwired neural path for certain types of games that is more prevalent in certain races?

My friend who I used to play SC with who currently resides at West Point emailed me about this.

To be honest, I'm scared as hell. Like Vegas, this game took a toll on my life. I played WAY too much and was lucky it was during a time in my life I could goof off. The ladder system started getting abused too heavily, but for 2-3 years I was top 150. I bet there are several of us who've played each other without knowing it. If you guys remember a screen name with 'omega', it was probably me. My last sn was aXis.oM[e]Ga, I can't remember my previous ones exactly. I just hope I'm done with college before this comes out; the girl friend I can ditch, but I need good grades!

Shucks, all the original designers of SC and BW have left Blizzard apparently. My friend is a little dissapointed and his expectations aren't so high anymore. I also doubt they can make a game better than the original with an entirely new team, I hope I'm wrong!

I hate to say it, but as long as you have enough money to throw around to attract talent, almost any developer is replaceable. As long as you have a good product idea, very detailed technical specifications and a good project manager, I don't think it matters who's writing the code or doing the art as long as they're talented. It certainly HELPS to have someone who did previous versions work on it, but I don't think it's a deal breaker if it's a whole new team.

yup... not hard to take new talent and have them "revamp" an already created/outlined idea.... a scratch built project might be a different story, because of the lack of direction....

the screenshots on the site, and trailer already show that it LOOKS amazing at least...

I remember Broodwars and waiting for Starcraft 2 to come out. Gosh...has it been that long?

sahtt

Does your screen name stand for a frat in Austin?

Oh and yes, the Koreans love Starcraft. I remember when I was there working and people would live in the PC rooms and play non-stop.

sahtt

Does your screen name stand for a frat in Austin?

Oh and yes, the Koreans love Starcraft. I remember when I was there working and people would live in the PC rooms and play non-stop.

bahaha

When I was in Korea 2 years ago, the first place my friend took me to as soon as I dropped off my luggage was a PC room:frown: :redface: :biggrin:

Back