• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steve- teach us all about real estate

Merry Christmas Steve. :biggrin:

How do you know it's human? Maybe they had a bear?

I probably can't compete with Steve's horror stories, but maybe I can come close. Here is some picture of my latest rental move out. It cost me over $1K just to get all the junk out of there and over $6K to get the place back to rentable condition.

Busted Door, cost me $500 just to fix
IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Ripped out BRAND NEW carpet I put in for them
IMG_0493.jpg

Tons of junk and garbage abandoned there. I won't even begin to discuss the rotting food that sat for weeks. The milk jug had expanded like a ballon ready to explode. It was so bad, I was afraid to even touch it, lest it explode in my face. Most of these pics are after substantial cleaning!
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Lots of broken doors, appliances, windows and mirrors.
IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Last edited:
looks familiar. I have some nice high end stuff like that but it rarely gets trashed. Anything I have that is over 1800 a month I get massive security deposits on. It really doesn't matter which end of the spectrum the house is on, there are scum bags at both ends and they are never easy to spot.

Got a free 32" TV this week and a whole apartment of furniture. Ghetto booty in the DVD player.:smile: Tenant in jail, items stored, tenant can't pick items up in legal time alloted, items can be disposed of. TV got disposed into my garage. Apartment is now rented furnished.

Vegas, let me guess the carpet rolled up in the alley had animal piss smell all over it? Do you think the day they pulled the carpet into the alley they were planing on ever moving it again? Doesn't it amaze you the patterns. This is all planned by the tenant. They never planed on picking up that trash, they never planned on dumping the trash can by the grill or picking up the beer bottles by the grill. Like an animal throws an empty nut shell down after the nut is gone these pigs throw down where ever they may be standing an empty food container as a squirrel would an empty nut.

Last edited:
i confess:

i can't believe that prime off topic has become a forum where posting a photo of human waste is acceptable.

in this thread http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130660
several people commented on the use of the word $h*t

but in this real estate thread, nobody said a negative word about the use of a photo of actual $h*t.

looks familiar. I have some nice high end stuff like that but it rarely gets trashed. Anything I have that is over 1800 a month I get massive security deposits on. It really doesn't matter which end of the spectrum the house is on, there are scum bags at both ends and they are never easy to spot.

Got a free 32" TV this week and a whole apartment of furniture. Ghetto booty in the DVD player.:smile: Tenant in jail, items stored, tenant can't pick items up in legal time alloted, items can be disposed of. TV got disposed into my garage. Apartment is now rented furnished.

Vegas, let me guess the carpet rolled up in the alley had animal piss smell all over it? Do you think the day they pulled the carpet into the alley they were planing on ever moving it again? Doesn't it amaze you the patterns. This is all planned by the tenant. They never planed on picking up that trash, they never planned on dumping the trash can by the grill or picking up the beer bottles by the grill. Like an animal throws an empty nut shell down after the nut is gone these pigs throw down where ever they may be standing an empty food container as a squirrel would an empty nut.

I didn't bother even looking in or touching that carpet. 1-800-got-junk is now on my speed dial. They took care of all of that crap. It's amazing the kind of filth and squalor people are willing to live in. The animal analogy is spot on.

i confess:

i can't believe that prime off topic has become a forum where posting a photo of human waste is acceptable.

in this thread http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130660
several people commented on the use of the word $h*t

but in this real estate thread, nobody said a negative word about the use of a photo of actual $h*t.

The point is real estate is hard work. It involves picking up other peoples do-do and not cruising around in a fancy car wearing a suit. The point of the thread was to teach people all about real estate and if they aren't willing to pick up other peoples poop... well then real estate is not for them. Education should not have a filter placed on it that will warp reality.

The point is real estate is hard work. It involves picking up other peoples do-do and not cruising around in a fancy car wearing a suit.

I can second that. Being a landlord is not glamorous at all. And it’s it definitely not as glamorous as what it is perceived to be. Working at a landfill isn’t glamorous either, but people know and expect that. However, the discrepancy between perception in reality in being a landlord is very great.

Travelling for business is in the same category. One would think flying all over the country for work is very glamorous and cool, but it’s not. Eating crappy pub food, having diarrhea or having to shave in disgusting airport bathrooms, sweating in uncomfortable suits having to run down a plane while carrying luggage, getting sick while on the road, sleeping in funny smelling hotel rooms… the list goes on and on. Unless of course you fly first class or have a private jet.

Almost had a nice surprise last night. Water heater went bad. I personally took a new one over to install it. Turned the breaker off. Got ready to take the old one out. For some reason I thought I needed to check the power before I took off the wire. Put the multimeter on the wire, it's juiced. Killed the main to the house, still juiced. Tenant wired the water heater directly to the load side of the meter. Fools.
BTW, load is power out after the meter so I say fools because they thought they were wiring it in before the meter but they wired it in after the meter so they risked their lives for no savings.

Last edited:
I can second that. Being a landlord is not glamorous at all. And it’s it definitely not as glamorous as what it is perceived to be. Working at a landfill isn’t glamorous either, but people know and expect that. However, the discrepancy between perception in reality in being a landlord is very great.

Travelling for business is in the same category. One would think flying all over the country for work is very glamorous and cool, but it’s not. Eating crappy pub food, having diarrhea or having to shave in disgusting airport bathrooms, sweating in uncomfortable suits having to run down a plane while carrying luggage, getting sick while on the road, sleeping in funny smelling hotel rooms… the list goes on and on. Unless of course you fly first class or have a private jet.

I totally agree on the traveling part.

I have a few questions to those that know more than i do about the real estate market, i thought i'd post here instead of creating another thread.

Does anybody have an idea of how the market will look like in 2010 ? I'm looking to buy a condo and i don't have to do it just yet however if this is the time to buy i could pull the trigger very soon. I still live for free with my parents, what's the smart move? Do you guys think that the prices are going to drop more? I was looking at a condo that i like last week and I calculated that if i bought it i would pay around $12 000 a year in property tax, bills, association fees and mortgage interest combined, is this property going to increase its value by at least the $12 000 or should i buy it a year from now? Is it better to buy for a higher price but on a stable market ?

Any input would be highly appriciated, thank you all in advance, this means a lot to me :)

I have a few questions to those that know more than i do about the real estate market, i thought i'd post here instead of creating another thread.

Does anybody have an idea of how the market will look like in 2010 ? I'm looking to buy a condo and i don't have to do it just yet however if this is the time to buy i could pull the trigger very soon. I still live for free with my parents, what's the smart move? Do you guys think that the prices are going to drop more? I was looking at a condo that i like last week and I calculated that if i bought it i would pay around $12 000 a year in property tax, bills, association fees and mortgage interest combined, is this property going to increase its value by at least the $12 000 or should i buy it a year from now? Is it better to buy for a higher price but on a stable market ?

Any input would be highly appriciated, thank you all in advance, this means a lot to me :)

Real estate varies tremendously based upon location. People in Los Angeles are in a completely different environment from Des Moines, Chicago, Austin or Detroit. Even within a city certain segments may be more volatile or prone to economic downturn than others. I'd highly recommend discussing it locally with people that are knowledgable, you trust and preferably that don't have a vested interest in your purchase. I personally have never thought condos offer the best value, particularly if the HOA fees are high but urban areas are a different animal than what I'm most familar with. A couple factors that could make this a good time to purchase are low interest rates and possible tax credits if you qualify. Definitely do a lot of research and get as informed as possible about your local situation (not only prices but local outlook for businesses, jobs, etc. that can impact future values).

Back