• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock 2004 Acura NSX - 1,564 original one owner miles JH4NA216X4S000002

Once a material object is no longer made its value is purely determined by collector interest and the market.

Lots of people like to make judgements, but I think its silly. I can say that someone who spends $100,000 on a watch has "more money than brains", but I never would. Why? Because the one person I know who did that is worth about $120,000,000. So saying he has no brains would just make me look like an envious loser. To him $100,000 is piss money.

Similarly, while the average person, and ironically the average primer, feels "no rich guy is looking for an NSX", I would argue that nearly *any* hardcore collector is. All it takes is a single Jay Leno who wants to add the historic, yes historic, NSX to his collection and that car is gone. An 04 with 1500 miles isnt "almost the same" as an 03 with 19k miles or whatever.

A true collector will want the *lowest* mile example they can get as *stock* and clean as possible. They wont care about timing belts and water pumps because the thing is going into a museum, effectively.

The same exact kind of thread is happening *right now* on Ferrari chat about an F348 going up on the auction block with 300 miles on it (original) and the same kind of comments are coming out since the auction expects it will sell for 90-125k. People are saying "only an idiot..." "you can buy a F360"... etc.

Why is it so hard to comprehend? If Im a collector with a $100M+ net worth and I want a *specific* model and I want it *virgin* to add to my collection, an extra $50-$100k to aquire one never soiled by a real owner is nothing.

+3, agreed :smile:

Once a material object is no longer made its value is purely determined by collector interest and the market.

Lots of people like to make judgements, but I think its silly. I can say that someone who spends $100,000 on a watch has "more money than brains", but I never would. Why? Because the one person I know who did that is worth about $120,000,000. So saying he has no brains would just make me look like an envious loser. To him $100,000 is piss money.

Similarly, while the average person, and ironically the average primer, feels "no rich guy is looking for an NSX", I would argue that nearly *any* hardcore collector is. All it takes is a single Jay Leno who wants to add the historic, yes historic, NSX to his collection and that car is gone. An 04 with 1500 miles isnt "almost the same" as an 03 with 19k miles or whatever.

A true collector will want the *lowest* mile example they can get as *stock* and clean as possible. They wont care about timing belts and water pumps because the thing is going into a museum, effectively.

The same exact kind of thread is happening *right now* on Ferrari chat about an F348 going up on the auction block with 300 miles on it (original) and the same kind of comments are coming out since the auction expects it will sell for 90-125k. People are saying "only an idiot..." "you can buy a F360"... etc.

Why is it so hard to comprehend? If Im a collector with a $100M+ net worth and I want a *specific* model and I want it *virgin* to add to my collection, an extra $50-$100k to aquire one never soiled by a real owner is nothing.

All good points and if I were a rich collector looking for a pristine 05 NSX - I'd be damn interested in one like this or one like the 900+ mile original 91 NSX or maybe both if I happened to be particularly enamored with the NSX. I hope that collectors start doing this and then all our cars will raise in value! I'm all for that!:biggrin:

All good points and if I were a rich collector looking for a pristine 05 NSX - I'd be damn interested in one like this or one like the 900+ mile original 91 NSX or maybe both if I happened to be particularly enamored with the NSX. I hope that collectors start doing this and then all our cars will raise in value! I'm all for that!:biggrin:
Tim have you ever looked under the driver seat? Last time I had my seat out we found 85 cents.....that increased the value right there!!!:tongue:

Tim have you ever looked under the driver seat? Last time I had my seat out we found 85 cents.....that increased the value right there!!!:tongue:

Now Doc, you're talking real money - I'll have to get down on my hands and knees and check that out! Thanks for the tip. All I have to say is you better keep that money in the jar or you'll never realize that increase when you sell.....lol.:wink:

Now where did I put that "piggy bank".....:biggrin:

With all this speculative collector talk answer this. Why would a collector choose a 2004? :confused: It isn't the last production year. I would think if some wealthy person wants to collect an NSX they would choose... an Alex Zanardi Special Edition.

BTW You owners can rest assured that since I sold my NSX, the value will skyrocket. At least that has been my luck with the stock market anyway. :wink:

With all this speculative collector talk answer this. Why would a collector choose a 2004? :confused: It isn't the last production year. I would think if some wealthy person wants to collect an NSX they would choose... an Alex Zanardi Special Edition.

BTW You owners can rest assured that since I sold my NSX, the value will skyrocket. At least that has been my luck with the stock market anyway. :wink:

Absolutely right D - an 04 isn't the year - 05 would be or 91 perhaps like that red one for sale right now for an unbelievable price of 125k - excuse me but I thought we had a recession going on now??? I will be flabergasted if that 91 sells for 125k. Personally I doubt it but it is a one of one - ain't no more of those. Wouldn't think there are a lot of 04s with 1500 miles either or 05s for that matter. Collectors items in my opinion are the special ones - at least now - that may change. Like an NSX -R or the Zanardi like you say. I'm not thinking mine is going to all of a sudden start escalating but stranger things have happened.

Good points, but we are talking about this particular NSX, not the *virgin* one that a collector is really looking for. This 04 would take some convincing to be qualified as a collector piece. More like a beater for a guy like Jay Leno. :wink:

Last edited:
There maybe a customer out there who has wealth and wants an NSX bad....got to be black with little or no miles. Want's a virgin car. Been looking for months and can't find one. Here comes this car and makes a deal for $85,000 and everyones happy. :smile::smile:

The customer who comes along is like a lottery winning. I've been down this path with a wealthy Danish car collector who bought my Mini Cooper 1071S. He paid top dollar, I'm thankful 'cause it funded my NSX.

In the end, chances of a high sale is very slim, but you never know. Regards....sid

You are correct on this.

There are those that will pay top dollar for a virgin or near virgin car of their dreams.

The owner (my RX7 mechanic) of the yellow FD in the living room sold his 500 miles FD for $50k 2 years ago since the new owner wanted a near virgin CYM R1 FD and was tired of looking for years. The seller didn't even want to let it go for MSRP since he liked it and the offer just kept going up and up until he gave in.

ivan.JPG

rx7room03.JPG

rx7room01.JPG

rx7room02.JPG

It might be a tad early to be speculating on the collector status of the NSX.
I purchased a Porsche 356 Cabriolet in 1976 for $1,500. I bought it because I liked how it looked and it was a lot of fun to drive. The 356s were also produced for 15 years and in limited numbers but a lot more than the NSX.
They were also largely hand built and had relatively few changes during their production run. They definitely were short on horsepower. Mine came in at an earth shattering 60hp. Top speed of about 100mph with a tail wind. And of course there were plenty of critics. Usually describing them as fancy VWs.
As unique as the cars were, none of the owners that I associated with in the 70's looked at their cars as investments. Just a great car to own. I kept mine until 2009 when I sold it to purchase a low mileage 2005 NSX. I NEEDED air conditioning! My point is I owned the car for almost forty years and the value went from a modest $1,500 to six figures. It is difficult to find a good open 356 for less than $100,000 and often they are considerably more. The NSX has a lot in common with the old Porsches, a relatively new company at the time, a unique automobile, limited production numbers, hand built, etc. There is hope. You just may have to wait a few years!

Jim, good write up here. I am with you on that! May have to wait a lot of years - our cars are about 20 years short of collector status except for maybe the Zanardi or a REAL R. Other than that - I wouldn't be buying an NSX thinking they were going to start escalating in price right away. I think they will be.

One of the things that Porsche owners have always been told when trying to anticipate the next 356 collectible Porsche is to buy one they really like and if they luck out well good for you! Buy one you like to drive and own and then just keep it.

You surely picked the right car to hold on to for 40 years Jim - damn - to think that I could have done the same - being 60 years old - I was right there when they were cheap! Could have had a Speedster - wow - they just weren't fast enough - oh boy if only I had known. I find myself having said that a lot over the years! Hope we all have good luck with our NSXs and you know what till then I'm driving mine! I'll be driving it home in just a little while!

It might be a tad early to be speculating on the collector status of the NSX.
I purchased a Porsche 356 Cabriolet in 1976 for $1,500. I bought it because I liked how it looked and it was a lot of fun to drive. The 356s were also produced for 15 years and in limited numbers but a lot more than the NSX.
They were also largely hand built and had relatively few changes during their production run. They definitely were short on horsepower. Mine came in at an earth shattering 60hp. Top speed of about 100mph with a tail wind. And of course there were plenty of critics. Usually describing them as fancy VWs.
As unique as the cars were, none of the owners that I associated with in the 70's looked at their cars as investments. Just a great car to own. I kept mine until 2009 when I sold it to purchase a low mileage 2005 NSX. I NEEDED air conditioning! My point is I owned the car for almost forty years and the value went from a modest $1,500 to six figures. It is difficult to find a good open 356 for less than $100,000 and often they are considerably more. The NSX has a lot in common with the old Porsches, a relatively new company at the time, a unique automobile, limited production numbers, hand built, etc. There is hope. You just may have to wait a few years!

Yesterday as I was leaving Home Depot, I got stopped by a Escalade with bling wheels etc, a driver and one more guy in the car, he was foreign and was screaming from his window, "This is the NSX" ... I was "what?" .... to make a story short, we stopped then he told me that he loves cars and has this and that etc, he told me he was looking for a NSX for a while but with no luck, I told him about NSXprime etc .. he asked me if I was going to sell my car, I said, "the first 42K takes it" .... of course I was joking, but then he gave me his Business card, CALL ME, I'LL BUY IT FROM YOU, but call me ASAP .... " said "I WAS JOKING"

I told him about that yellow 74K low miles NSX, he said was a bit too much $ and he was more into the "old" looking NSX etc ....

I have the B. card with me ... in my desk ... I think I'll throw it away before I get into temptation (Z06) :p .....

Oscar

Oscar - 42k has to be a little tempting....might have to think about that if someone offered me that. Wait a minute ....give me that business card...:biggrin: Actually if someone bit on mine for 42k - he'd have himself a car. I'd be looking for another one pronto! Later model ....etc!

Oscar - 42k has to be a little tempting....might have to think about that if someone offered me that. Wait a minute ....give me that business card...:biggrin: Actually if someone bit on mine for 42k - he'd have himself a car. I'd be looking for another one pronto! Later model ....etc!

I know ... I could do that only If got into a high milages 91-94 and went TT ... then yes ... in the same time, I couldn't be more happy with mine ....

Oscar

The CEO owner of this neglected NSX had one or two before it. He has multiple homes in different cities which have multiple vehicles sitting awaiting some use. He is very much an enthusiast and I'd say the NSX is by far the least expensive of the vehicles he owns. I think he also owns a $300K watch which probably sits in a drawer most of the time. I know he has been very busy with his business and just dosen't have the time to enjoy his toys.

I recall hearing about a short clip of Larry Ellison driving a 02+ black on some TV show (documentary?) related to him...and he has owned a few of them. Is this who you speak of? What is your info source to know these details?

Interesting thread. It's hard to predict what will happen to NSX values, at least for somebody like me. What I do know is that it is a rare car, especially later year models. In addition it is a benchmark/revolutionary car of sorts. Watching values over time will be fascinating. In the mean time, I will continue to drive and enjoy mine because that is what I bought for and who knows how long I will live. Hopefully, it will go up in $ but that will just be a bonus.

Last edited:
I offerred him $92,250.00 and he wouldn't take it!

What is a guy to do with all of this useless cash sitting around my house???

Found this in the norcal Craigslist - shockingly low miles!

check it out: $92,500

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/1834236428.html

(copied ad in case the CL expires)

Stock 2004 Acura NSX for sale with 1,564 original one owner miles! This NSX is the best of the best in black exterior with black leather and desirable 6 speed transmission. We have just done the annual service, everything is stock as it came from Acura. This is a very collectible car and will sell fast so please let us know if you have any questions, trades, or financing or leasing needs.

Please take a look at the two detailed photo galleries and video
of this 2004 Acura NSX and call Brad Goldstone at 415-847-4169 with inquiries.

If you have an exotic sports car or an entire collection to consign and are
anywhere in California, please consider San Francisco Sports Cars

Thank you for visiting!
VIN# JH4NA216X4S000002

I offerred him $92,250.00 and he wouldn't take it!

Pay someone to come up with better post replies :biggrin:. J/K

Ive informed the local gang of thugs to your predicament and they have agreed to help you out. They work odd hours so Id look for them in the wee hours tomorrow or the next day :biggrin:

Back