• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

STP fuel injector cleaner

Anything wrong with using this once in a while??
Any horror stories?
I am just wanting to use it as preventative maintenance, say twice a year.
What does the community think, any other recommendations....
thanks!

It was recommended by a mechanic who cleans injectors like RC does. I used the same this spring.

I only use the Techron additive. You can get it at Walmart for like $6.

You should change your oil shortly after using it.

I used to use this stuff every 5000 miles on my 88 Accord Lxi. I had the head off once at around 250k miles and the valves, bowls and pistons were bright and shiny. Made me a believer both in Honda engine quality and STP injector cleaner lol. That said, I've heard a lot of good things about Techron as well.

Because it gets in there and you don't need any extra chemicals in your oil.

An oil analysis is ugly after adding this stuff.

Yes, it might get in there as gasoline also goes in and out of the oil. I agree that the oil needs no additional chemical. How is the oil analysis result changed? Does the oil loose it's lubrication quality?
Some official Honda garage fill some in the tank right after the service (new oil).

I've only used Chevron fuel for the NSX since I owned it because it comes with Techron. I'm a true believer in that additive. It certainly doesn't hurt to add it if you use another fuel brand. However most good quality name brand fuels should have a good injector cleaning additive already in the fuel. Techcron seems to be on the top of the list of doing a better job than the others.

This also leads to the real differences in gasoline. All fuel base in basically the same and different gas stations get their fuel from central distributors. The main difference is the fuel additives which are added to each as the trucks are filled and head out to the different stations. Some of your really cheaper discount gas stations are getting the same basic fuel, just not the higher quality additives which are added to the name brands. That's one reason for the cheaper price. So it's okay to use these fuels but you may want to add an additive like Techron to each tank or so to get the extra cleaning they provide.

Al T.

Last edited:
Back