• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SUV got totalled...looking at MDX, Cayenne, RR Sport

Which SUV?

• 07 Acura MDX

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • 06 Porsche Cayenne S

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 06 Range Rover Sport

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
The mdx is a superior suv compared to its competitors. Plus, you have honda reliability. The only thing that I would consider instead is a lexus rx series.

Our 2001 RX 300 with coach leather interior is awesome!

I'm not a fan of SUV's but I've been in both an MDX and a few different versions of the Cayenne. The Cayenne is much more luxurious. The interior is absolutely beautiful. About my original post regarding oil consumption, I cannot believe how much oil they go through. In any other vehicle I would suspect something is wrong with that rate of consumption but I guess it's just a peculiarity with the Cayenne.

A nice loaded Ford Explorer isn't a bad alternative:

2011-ford-explorer.jpg

The mdx is a superior suv compared to its competitors. Plus, you have honda reliability. The only thing that I would consider instead is a lexus rx series.

Our 2001 RX 300 with coach leather interior is awesome!

until the transmission goes out.......ask me how I know!!! I would never suggest anyone buys a RX300. MAYBE a RX350, and that is a big maybe.

Google RX300 transmission problems or failures

Had a 2012 explorer as a rental and hated it. The Mazda cx9 is much better. The explorer still felt cheap inside and felt like driving a bathtub. Drive bigger than it was and in a bad way.

Would definitely say the MDX of the choices you provided, Cayenne and RR are nice initially, but wait until you have to pay for your first service out of warranty.

I've got a 99 RX300 with 375K trouble free miles -

We had a used Cayenne TT-S traded in a few years ago. It had 40k miles on it. It very fast and fun, but was about 114k new and worth 45k 3-4 years later. A warranty was also 4 times as much as the same term warranty on a similar MDX.

I ended up picking up a 2007 MDX with 60k miles and tech and entertainment packages...basically all the options. It also has the Full Acura care warranty for 3 more years and 40k miles.

Been happy and figured this is what I would be in all along, but gotta do the shopping to make sure you know what is out there and to be happy with your purchase.

Better Idea

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I have two daughters and wanted to get a safe, comfortable SUV and I decided on the Audi Q7. It is 1000x better than your other choices due to having 7 seats and it has the ratings to be the safest SUV out there. I got the 4.2 l V8 with all options including air suspension; but you can get a 3.6 l premium 2 years old and wow. This is by far the best SUV out there. I advise you to look into it and do some research. Thanks,

Jacob

Guess I was too late with this post, sorry.

Last edited:
When the time comes to replace our Honda Element (2-3 years), we're going to take a long, hard look at the Tesla Model X.

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

I'm really impressed with the design decisions and philosophy they're taking.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tesla-unveils-model-x (Fast forward to 13:00 to avoid intro and the Governor of CA looking like a cigar store indian)

Tons of room, 300 mile range, amazing handling (Low CG) and acceleration, looks really nice, practical 3rd row access (unlike other SUV and Q7), extremely safe due to crush zones, enormous luggage capability in rear and front.

A lot will depend on how well the Model S does in the marketplace and in the reviews.

-Jim

PS: Musk owns a Q7 and it was used in their benchmarking.

Last edited:
I ended up picking up a 2007 MDX with 60k miles and tech and entertainment packages...basically all the options. It also has the Full Acura care warranty for 3 more years and 40k miles.

Been happy and figured this is what I would be in all along, but gotta do the shopping to make sure you know what is out there and to be happy with your purchase.

Nice! Let's see some pics! BTW if you need more headphones for the kiddos or their friends, additional sets from Acura are about $100, if not more. Any $30 ones from your local stereo store work great.

FYI gas will be like 4.25 a gallon by summer.....might want to look for a diesel type suv......just saying......Mercedes has one I think:cool:

Simple. Mercedes Benz ML320 CDI or other Mercedes Diesel model. 470 ft lbs of torque 25-30 mpg. That is not a joke. I have screenshots to prove it. We have an 11 on lease and absolutely love it.

FYI gas will be like 4.25 a gallon by summer.....might want to look for a diesel type suv......just saying......Mercedes has one I think:cool:

Maybe even higher. If the Iran situation gets worse prices will really shoot up. And of course, we're not doing anything in this country to increase our native supplies. Keep in mind there's a sizable fraction of radical greeners that want the USA to have $5 a gallon and higher gas prices.

I just got an email from a local Acura dealer that mentioned 0.9% financing is available for the new MDX. Almost like a free loan at that rate.

This thread has a lot of useful info! thanks guys!

If Acura has the 0.9% financing then we may go that route too since I've heard nothing but great praise for the MDX :)

Have any of you tried or considered the 2011 Infiniti QX56? I love how it just looks so big and tough!

Simple. Mercedes Benz ML320 CDI or other Mercedes Diesel model. 470 ft lbs of torque 25-30 mpg. That is not a joke. I have screenshots to prove it. We have an 11 on lease and absolutely love it.

+1

I see all these problems with other SUV models but none for the Mercedes Line. You can't go wrong with them. Everybody knows a Mercedes last just as long as a Honda if not longer.

FYI

Hi Rob,

We just wanted to let you know.

Through February 29th, 2012 @ Bernardi Acura of Boston

0.9% Financing For Up To 60 Months

Includes All New MDX, TL, and TSX's

*Please call us for details. Prior Sales excluded.

Regards,

Kent Dermarderosian
Internet Sales Manager
1600 Soldiers Field Road
Brighton, MA 02135

If Acura has the 0.9% financing then we may go that route too since I've heard nothing but great praise for the MDX :)

Have any of you tried or considered the 2011 Infiniti QX56? I love how it just looks so big and tough!

QX56 gets like 10mpg.....:eek:
Other than that, its pretty sweet:biggrin:

+1

I see all these problems with other SUV models but none for the Mercedes Line. You can't go wrong with them. Everybody knows a Mercedes last just as long as a Honda if not longer.

I have brother in law who has has 3 Mercedes diesel sedans, two had 300k miles before he sold them, and got 25mpg....full size sedans......

My wife has the 2011 QX56 and besides the gas mileage it's an awesome SUV. It drives and rides like a luxury car. The ergonomics are superb and every vehicle should have the 7 cameras it has around it. The above the vehicle view everytime you pull in or out of a parking spot is the bomb! And, it's keyless entry/ignition is cool. I wish my new Mercedes E350 Cab. had some of it's features.

Back