• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"test drove" my car after headlamp replacement

Life is too short to be pissed about fairly minor things that occured in the past. That said, if you ever bring the car back to them, explain to them that they have driven the car in the past when you have directly told them not to. Now, you want to walk out to the car with the service guy and agree on the odometer value prior to leaving. The explicit agreement is that that odometer value will be the same when you pick the car up, plus a few tenths.

Or you could just use Mitch since you're out of warranty now.

The first thing out of my mouth would have been "what part of don't drive the car did you not understand?"

I'd rather go that route than deal with the regret/discontent of not saying anything. How do you know the excited mechanic even let the car warm up? Did he take it to red line? 23 times? No way to know now. I wouldn't let this get to you too much, the mechanic probably couldn't damage the car even if he tried short of wrecking it.

Last edited:
To me the test drive itself isn't as disturbing as this...

I say yes and he says "yeah last time the mechanic took it for a spin after the headlamp replacement, he said it was the fastest NSX he had ever been in".

This tells me it was more than a standard "test drive".

Ask to test drive the mechanic's and service manager's personal cars to see what they'll do.

Think this situation is bad no telling what its like at a local "we do it all shop".

Tough call here. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the mechanics. :confused: I took my car to Autowave years back to help replace a busted inside door handle. After, they took my car around the block because they see very few AT's and wanted to see how mine was running. I didn't mind and joked about it with them afterward about how the door apparently is connected to the engine. :tongue:

I agree with Joe. If I was the dealer, I would do the same especially if this was under warranty to make sure that it was fixed. Unfortunately, just because you say you don't want any one to drive your car that doesn't exempt them from any liability should your headlamp fall off or cause you to drive unsafely for whatever reason. Lawyers will always find an issue of negligence in such a scenario. Unless of course you are willing to sign a total liability release form and I am sure no one in his right mind would do so. Just my $0.02.

Hrant... are you saying that my saying 3 times "don't drive the car" and them saying "OK we won't" means nothing? Really... what are you talking about with this lawyer business? So they should just test drive it because they may get sued for a bad repair regardless of what I said or what they said? This makes sense to you?! :confused:

Life is too short to be pissed about fairly minor things that occured in the past. That said, if you ever bring the car back to them, explain to them that they have driven the car in the past when you have directly told them not to. Now, you want to walk out to the car with the service guy and agree on the odometer value prior to leaving. The explicit agreement is that that odometer value will be the same when you pick the car up, plus a few tenths.

Or you could just use Mitch since you're out of warranty now.

Yeah the dealer will probably never see my car again I am just pissed and I think I need to go back and at least let off some steam if nothing else. "fastest NSX he was ever in" really pisses me off.

The more I read these threads the more I feel the need for a GPS locator ... The allow you to set a safe zone and when it travels outside the safe zone corridor a text is sent to your cell phone. I rarely take my car anywhere where I have to leave it with someone so no need but I have still thought about getting one of these devices for other reasons.

http://www.zoombak.com/

A steal at $38 bucks IMO

This is the pet version but im sure you can figure out how to make it work in the car

http://www.amazon.com/Zoombak-ZMBK100-Advanced-GPS-Locator/dp/B0014J62VM

Last edited:
I guess I offered my response in short hand version. What the dealer's staff should have said after your request - at least I would have if this was my business - that such a repair requires that the car be driven at FWY speed to make sure there is no unexpected issues with the new headlight install, even though this may seem straight fowrad. If you still objected, my position would have been to politley explain the potential liability issues and should you still decline, that you take your repair perhaps to the next dealership.

Nothing personal in such business transactions. But, should for some reason the tech had forgotten to install it correctly and while you (or any other customer) are on the FWY - not mentioning exceeding and speed limits - the headlight gets loose or start lifting and you lose your concetration while trying to figure what is going on in that particular corner and hence cause/be involved in an incident/accident ......... do I need to say more?

The cost benefit of "test" driving a repair vs. losing a customer over do not drive my car after a repair is just prudent business.

The more I read these threads the more I feel the need for a GPS locator ... The allow you to set a safe zone and when it travels outside the safe zone corridor a text is sent to your cell phone. I rarely take my car anywhere where I have to leave it with someone so no need but I have still thought about getting one of these devices for other reasons.

A steal at $38 bucks IMO

This is the pet version but im sure you can figure out how to make it work in the car

That is cool but where do you see the $38 deal? All I see is that it is $99 (not including monthly fee).

A steal at $38 bucks IMO

I had a carPC setup to log the GPS location of my vehicle, with peak speed also being recorded. I dropped my car off for some body shop work about 1.5 years ago; when I went to pick it up, they said to mail payment (as they had already closed) but when I got home I discovered they had taken my car on a joyride. This is in spite of my telling them the car could not be driven aggressively, as the car was waiting for a final tune.

I had a GPS data log which showed they had taken the car onto the local freeway, and had reached a speed of 167mph. I could show the car was dropped off at their shop, and the joy ride took place while it was there, as well as where the peak speed was recorded; the car was driven 11 miles, when it was just there for a paint match for parts which were not installed.

What I could not show were damages; I could show they were irresponsible, they were reckless, but you cannot sue for either of those things.

To further compound my issue, it became apparent the shop had done my job under the table, as they refused to provide me with an invoice. Because they couldn't give me an invoice, I could show where the car was (at their shop for several days), but couldn't prove it was in their possession - because of their refusal to provide me with an invoice, I didn't pay them, when they became angry about this, I told them about the joyride, and they lied to cover it up. I offered to show them the data logs, and they hung up the phone.

It's sad that business can't do what you ask of them for liability reasons. My BMW dealer won't let me look under my car or even be in the tech shop. I think I will put an end to that practise. The Acura dealer lets me hang out. I even helped the tech install a part once and I once pointed out how the car was only on 3 posts. I told them I wouldn't sue if the car fell on me but they mostly keep me from under the car.

That is cool but where do you see the $38 deal? All I see is that it is $99 (not including monthly fee).

Check the link I provided and yes there are montly fee's for the service but the cost is $10 per month the first three months and then $14.95 there after .... I dont know if there like the cable company but im sure if you wanted to drop the service they might offer a deal

Just another food-of-thought. How can you be sure about the mechanic's work if they don't do what you've said? I always had a strong urge to tell mechanics what and how they have to do things (no wash and so on). Ok, my fault. But I'm a strong believer that observing the work done with a pump-gun in the armrest with the finger on the trigger DOES help. Speaking to them doesn't take it anywhere. There are only two solutions to the problem: DIY or find a good shop where you can work with. This is a problem for cars under warranty, I know.

A final and very actual example of mine: I've a very small stone-chip (1 mm) in the windshield just above the sight-field. The insurance would pay for a completely new windshield because a repair is not allowed. 'New' always sounds good and the glass-guy is very keen on changing it because the insurance gave him a green light and that's his business. But the representative of a autoglass-shop first required the car for two days and asked me if a guy should collect the car and drive it 30 miles (one way). I would not have a problem with my DD with that but I do have one with my NSX. The other problem is that things can go wrong like leaking seals, scratches on the paint and so on. I'm about to live with the small stone-chip so far as it doesn't disturb me that much as all the other potential problems would disturb me for sure. The glass-company was chosen by the insurance company. I can always get back to the insurance company as soon as I've found a glass guy I trust to 110% and can observe the work done or even be part of (without a pump-gun :D).

Oh, I forgot to say that unless I have a crash noone will every touch my car again. :) Yes, you can call me anal. :tongue: It's not that I don't trust my car anybody, LarryB would be my mechanic if I was in the US and pbassjo would paint it if needed. I trusted other shops before and got ripped-off and let-down by the ones I've trusted 100%. As humans are capable of learing I won't do it again. My former shops will miss me but mainly moneywise that's the best punishment you can do. Oh, I also was forced into DIY by them too. :)

Sorry for the long post. :)

well as far as me,, after hearing all these stories,, I will take the 2 front tires off and take them with me,, they can park it in the bay where the work will be done, and I will take the tires off,, and take them with me,, when they tell me the car is ready I will bring the tires back, put them on,, drive the car with the tech and end of story!! its an extreme measure but for my dream car I think its worth every penny of my time!! JACK-ASZ stealerships!!

well as far as me,, after hearing all these stories,, I will take the 2 front tires off and take them with me,,

Please take a camera with you and catch the expression of the manager's face while telling him what you're about to do and post it here. :D

Oh, BTW, my former shop found out that I'm working on my car myself. I went there and asked for HondaBond which they didn't know. The manager/owner who is not famous for his friendlyness (my father refused to buy an Accord from him if he's not capable of being so at all) gave me a face of 'what a f*cking a**hole'. Sorry, dude but you won't rip me off again! :wink:

Last edited:
I am just pissed and I think I need to go back and at least let off some steam if nothing else.

Like I said, you really should go talk to them, the general manager and this mechanic and let them know about the 1-2 miles you mentioned and the remarks about his impression of your car's performance.
Get to the bottom of this, clear it up and let them know how you feel.
If you don't report this and have a face to face meeting it will be always bother you. If this mechanic has done something unprofessional and violated your trust you should let them know about it. Let it bother THEM like it does you.

At least you'll feel vindicated. Who knows, it may turn out different than you anticipate. In the end I'm sure you'll be glad you did. Good luck Dave.

moral of the story is....replace your own headlamps:redface:

j/k:biggrin: that sucks..i'd be pissed:mad:

but seriously why did you take it there for something so simple??? or are the 02+ a pita to do it yourself???

only people i take my car to are pbassjo and larry b, and i dont mind them driving it

anybody else, no way

Copy and paste this link in a email to the manager...i bet he'll know why the fastest NSX that tech has ever driven has never came back :cool:

Will "Warranty" cover your car after the test driver crashes it?

Just fix it your self, no risk but work for you. End of thread

It's a $1700 part they have to install.... they are not going to hand it to me and say "OK install it yourself".

Copy and paste this link in a email to the manager...i bet he'll know why the fastest NSX that tech has ever driven has never came back :cool:

I may just do that...

I wanna know more about these tracking gizmos... this would be a great thing to have because it will also help if the car is ever stolen!

Don't forget to include the link here on Prime where an Acura mechanic took a 05 NSX for a test drive and ended up crashing. Totalled the car, and dealer had to give owner a new NSX.

I wanna know more about these tracking gizmos... this would be a great thing to have because it will also help if the car is ever stolen!

Check there website it should answer many questions but in a nut shell

You hardwire it to your car and just pay for service like a cell phone or pager and your good to go. You set the safe zone weather it be your house or the dealer or where ever your leaving the car at the time and when it leaves the zone a text message will be sent to your phone and you are alerted. You can also track the car in real time by login onto google maps or something.

You can get the pet one which is $38 or the auto one which is about $99 but the only difference I belive is the auto one comes with a hardwire kit which is basically just a 12V adapter which im sure you can buy for about $10 bucks.

Info

http://www.zoombak.com/products/universal/

Video

http://static.zoombak.com/media/universal-large-script.html

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASngUGPyJu4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASngUGPyJu4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0INYjt-2QGs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0INYjt-2QGs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Back