• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Cartek Turbo kit...... ??

Because the NSX price has DROPPED in the last month... (For a used one) and now people (read 20's kids) can buy the car and this is the primary market for a turbo...

Also the car has had staying power for 15+ years, do you really think no more new models will hinder this longevity. I mean the sales have DROPPED number wise over the last couple years anyway...because of lack of power....yet even SOS is coming out with new products everyday...

Factor X stepped out for some of the reasons above and im sure in part the following.
They build the car. It works great; you take it home it works great...

2 weeks later you are "dialing it in" with some friends or at the track, whatever, and it blows up. You call factor X and make them buy you engine, or your car or fix it whatever...is it there fault? There are way way way too many grey areas here which is probably why they stepped out of it directly.

But just hypothetically....they did have a "tuner kit" for $7500 that you bolt on and tune yourself. It blows up, who fault is it now? YOURS :)

This is why there are many many many "kits" in the works...

The demand is there…and the market is becoming more aftermarket tolerant (something that the nsx crowd seems to have not been).

Just my 2 cents……

FWIW I have been thinking about selling both my cars (turbo’ed) and buying a 05 black w/ red int that’s for sale in KC. Anyone in that area that would look at it for me?
Oh yeah I would turbo the new one for sure, screw the warrantee

From what I heard, a lot of these "new" turbo kits are running low boost. (5-6lbs) They should be safer for stock motors. They are not the 550rwhp monters like GJ and FX. I think I heard between 350-375rwhp. That should make the car a lot of fun.

Also, I had heard that the value of NSX's is now going up.

That hp is just on turbo's. It is not a lot of maintenance to keep it running. I just had the new kit installed and got it tuned enought to drive the car to New Jersey to have it properly tuned. Once it is done, I won't have to mess with it at all. It will take them turbotrix about 1 hour to tune it. The comptech is nice, but does not offer the kind of power I was looking for. I think the most hp I have heard of is around 350RWHP. Rob

01blacks4 said:
follow the flock little sheep

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

just playing.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH said the sheep.

Seems like a lot of BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH's from some of the Turbo guys in this thread too, but not because they are sheep! :biggrin:

Shumdit said:
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH said the sheep.

Seems like a lot of BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH's from some of the Turbo guys in this thread too, but not because they are sheep! :biggrin:

I just ordered mine today too... not because I'm a sheep, but because I'm too lazy to deal with getting it smog'd and the CTSC has a get out of jail free sticker for my engine compartment. :biggrin:

Too late to ask, I suppose, but what's the going street price for the Comptech? I got mine for 75.

J

02#184 said:
I just ordered mine today too... not because I'm a sheep, but because I'm too lazy to deal with getting it smog'd and the CTSC has a get out of jail free sticker for my engine compartment. :biggrin:

Too late to ask, I suppose, but what's the going street price for the Comptech? I got mine for 75.

J
7500 for a 3.2, 6lbs with engine cover and bar is a great price!

Shumdit said:
I think this sounds like kit that you better have the patience of Job and deep pockets to get/keep functioning. I always was intrigued by Turob set-ups, but they seem to be such a pain in the ass to dial-in.

They may seem that way, but they're not. I have a heavily modded DSM (I know, it's not an NSX, but just talking about turbo set-ups, right?) and every mod I did just worked. Tune it once after install and leave it alone.

One thing that disappoints me, while I have everyone's attention...

Is the NSX really so sensitive to tuning that we have to pay so much for a "safe" turbo kit? I'd like to hear from NSXers whove gone the inexpensive route and been successful. Seems to me it's all in the tuning, right? I'm zipping up my nomex suit before typing this next thing... but.... besides the tuning, isn't it all just compressed air in pipes? :confused:

J

NetViper said:
7500 for a 3.2, 6lbs with engine cover and bar is a great price!

yeah, it's for an 02... low boost kit with the new bar and clamshell

thanks for the feedback.

J

02#184 said:
yeah, it's for an 02... low boost kit with the new bar and clamshell

thanks for the feedback.

J

Oops... (major) typo...

I got my kit for 8500, not 7500. :redface:

J

02#184 said:
... but.... besides the tuning, isn't it all just compressed air in pipes? :confused:

J

DING DING DING we have a winner. you are correct...

$8500!!! OH MY GOD!!!! im sorry but that seems like a ripoff to me......

01blacks4 said:
DING DING DING we have a winner. you are correct...

$8500!!! OH MY GOD!!!! im sorry but that seems like a ripoff to me......

That is not such a great deal, but not a bad deal either. The last group buy on CTSC was $7000 for a 91-94. The engine cover and bar adds another grand. So you were abou $500 high, but you were not on a group buy either.

01blacks4 said:
even $7500 seems like too much!!! in my opinion...

That is what the kit costs. Yes, it is expensive compared to most SC setups, but everyone knows that when they buy it.

i understand that...i also understand that the market is now supporting this price...just like real estate here in phoenix or a rolex watch......it still doent mean that its worth that :)

(fwiw i have the house in phoenix and even a rolex but cant go for the CTSC :))

for me, the deciding factors for the CTSC were, in no particular order:

--plug and play (and more importantly, not much to monkey with). having come from a turbo car, I love to add power to power. Hopefully, since there's not much to meddle with on it, I won't find myself constantly looking for the next HP high. (yeah, I know... thin chance of that, right?)
--it's 50-state legal. Again, coming from a car where I always had to remove many of the mods to get my car smogged, or go out of my way to find someone who'd "work with me" on pasing it, I want to avoid it as much as possible.
--proven reliability for (admittedly modest) gains... though 350 at the wheels, which is about what many post as being their result, isn't too shabby

I guess that's all I have to say about that...

J

02#184 said:
for me, the deciding factors for the CTSC were, in no particular order:

--plug and play (and more importantly, not much to monkey with). having come from a turbo car, I love to add power to power. Hopefully, since there's not much to meddle with on it, I won't find myself constantly looking for the next HP high. (yeah, I know... thin chance of that, right?)
--it's 50-state legal. Again, coming from a car where I always had to remove many of the mods to get my car smogged, or go out of my way to find someone who'd "work with me" on pasing it, I want to avoid it as much as possible.
--proven reliability for (admittedly modest) gains... though 350 at the wheels, which is about what many post as being their result, isn't too shabby

I guess that's all I have to say about that...

J

The simplicity is what did it for me too. I just see too many stories here on FI cars that are not the CTSC, and I am just not willing to bankroll my mechanics kitchen remodel job with the repairs that might result from these jobs. Netviper can relate I feel certain. I just want to be able to get more oomph without tearing up too much!

01blacks4 said:
even $7500 seems like too much!!! in my opinion...

Rousch kit for the '05 Mustang is over $10grand :eek:

You can easily piece together a single turbo kit with a good turbo, fuel and ems for less then $5000 installed and tuned.

legendr35 said:
You can easily piece together a single turbo kit with a good turbo, fuel and ems for less then $5000 installed and tuned.

you can but not EASILY.....the piping is alittle bit of an issue. an i would spend the money on the IC before fueling.....(think small boost) 6K is the number that pops up alot

Back