• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Cartek Turbo kit...... ??

....I know the turbokit.com site doesn't traditionally have a great reputation but my friend recently saw this new Cartek turbo kit from there for $7,899 ** It uses the more reliable T28's turbos and seems to be all there (being an AEM computer w/ fuel system is being offered with the kit**) ...is this too good to be true ? Does ANYONE out there have any experience with the lastest Cartek offering or is in ka-hoots with the people behind it ??? Very interested, thanks! :)

The link*** ----> http://www.turbo-kits.com/nsx_turbo_kits.html

Not sure if this really helps...

I exchanged a few emails with CarTech last March. At that time, they had just finished the first customer install with the new system. I don’t have the details in front me right now, but I think that NSX is in the Chicago-area. I’m not sure how kits they have sold or how many other installs they have done since then.

FYI: Here’s their site: www.cartech.net. Send them an email or call. They are usually quick to respond.

Thanks for the reply Ojas, I JUST got off the phone with a rep. at turbo-kits.com and thou obviously bais, he had great things to say about the kit and claimed they had already sold 3-4 of these kits to NSX'ers in the last year...the kit has only recently been refined and introduced. At least a couple of owners supposedly have this on their NSX's right now....let's get some serious insight going on this guys....could this be the best deal in town guys !?

I bought the upgraded kit and I know one other. Not sure who else has it.

Sounds great if it is the real deal. I would probably take that over any SC out there for the price -plus more TQ than the SC's.

However, the FX400 makes more power at a similar price point. (if it is still available).

NetViper said:
Sounds great if it is the real deal. I would probably take that over any SC out there for the price -plus more TQ than the SC's.

However, the FX400 makes more power at a similar price point. (if it is still available).

It blows me away the prices for turbo kits on NSX's or any exotic totally ridiculous. You can always swap in larger compressors on the T-28's and they will push over 650rwhp.

Jasil said:
It blows me away the prices for turbo kits on NSX's... You can always swap in larger compressors on the T-28's and they will push over 650rwhp.
It blows me away that some will post about costs (even thought it's been hashed and re-hashed a zillion times), yet haven't spent much time learning why it is that a turbo system for an NSX that makes more than 450 rwhp costs as much as they do. Hint: it has nothing to do with a larger compressor. :smile:

Jasil said:
It blows me away the prices for turbo kits on NSX's or any exotic totally ridiculous. You can always swap in larger compressors on the T-28's and they will push over 650rwhp.

Nobody is going to spend money developing a kit for such a focused market and then sell it cheap.

And I guess if you try to get 650whp from this kit by adding larger compressors it can't be all bad. Once you blow your engine up you can start over and do it right :)

anyone know the bolt pattern for this kit? mitsu housing? t3 flange?

Jasil said:
Hopefully your 11th post will have some basis in real world applications. Use the search function and do some research on turbo charging the NSX, then you wont make useless comments like this. :cool:

...I really encourage you guys to look through the link I posted thoroughly as it seems ALL the ingredients in a "top-notch" base turbo kit is included. (AEM, Intercoolers, Injectors, muffler, etc.) Considering that, it's $7,900 price tag seems hard to beat*****

Link = http://www.turbo-kits.com/nsx_turbo_kits.html

NSXTASY_MD said:
...I really encourage you guys to look through the link I posted thoroughly as it seems ALL the ingredients in a "top-notch" base turbo kit is included. (AEM, Intercoolers, Injectors, muffler, etc.) Considering that, it's $7,900 price tag seems hard to beat*****

Link = http://www.turbo-kits.com/nsx_turbo_kits.html

Like I mentioned, it does look good, but it is only 390HP. The FX400 was 400rwhp for a couple grand more.

That said, I am sure it would make any NSX a lot of fun.

NetViper said:
Like I mentioned, it does look good, but it is only 390HP. The FX400 was 400rwhp for a couple grand more.

That said, I am sure it would make any NSX a lot of fun.
Hey, whats up Netviper :) ....I'm not sure that "390BHP" rating is accurate** I say that becuase they've stolen the literature from the way that kit was previously made by Cartek back in the day *before* the refinements (which appear to be significant). Didn't that kit use a cheap VATN type turbocharger before that flowed worth sh*t and was unreliable? They only recently set-up the kit for T28's which is a Very tried-and-true turbocharger capable of 300-350HP a piece** flow rate. Also the inclusion of the AEM makes tuning much better than before (an FMU or SS-box of some sorts?) ...An intercooled 7psi on an NSX tuned by an AEM should net closer to *390RWHP* with the other changes to the kit mentioned....as oppose to the crude kit this once was (which was rated at 390BHP) Only real world dyno tests will prove it....but we gotta hear from owners of this kit on their stock motors first*

NSXTASY_MD said:
Hey, whats up Netviper :) ....I'm not sure that "390BHP" rating is accurate** I say that becuase they've stolen the literature from the way that kit was previous made by Cartek *before* the refinements (which appear to be significant). Didn't that kit use a cheap VATN type turbocharger before ? They only recent set-up the kit for T28's which is a Very tried-and-true turbocharger capable of 300-350HP a piece** flow rate. Also the inclusion of the AEM makes tuning much better than before (an FMU or SS-box of some sorts?) ...An intercooled 7psi on an NSX should net closer to *390RWHP* with the other changes to the kit mentioned....as oppose to the crude kit this once was (which was rated at 390BHP) Only real world dyno tests will prove it....but we gotta hear from owners of this kit on their stock motors first*

Well, if that is the case, sounds like it would be an awesome deal. I think you should order it and let me know :)

1TITENSX said:
Just called them and they told me they would do a group buy for 5 for $7499 and 10 for $7199.
Geez, I am VERY tempted to start/join this GB soon after getting some more feedback on actual examples...$7,199 !? :eek: :eek:

I wonder what the stock 5-speed is like with the turbo. With so much TQ on tap @ 3000 RPM, I don't think the dip in RPMs would be a big deal at all. I would assume though a stonger clutch would be a must.

KGP said:
It blows me away that some will post about costs (even thought it's been hashed and re-hashed a zillion times), yet haven't spent much time learning why it is that a turbo system for an NSX that makes more than 450 rwhp costs as much as they do. Hint: it has nothing to do with a larger compressor. :smile:

What Gene said. The same people that start their FI journey looking at price are the first ones who bitch and belly ache when their motor starts blowing smoke. If you dont have the money to do it right just stay away.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
What Gene said. The same people that start their FI journey looking at price are the first ones who bitch and belly ache when their motor starts blowing smoke. If you dont have the money to do it right just stay away.
Armando

So Armando, looking at that turbo kit, would you say it is "right"? If not, what is it lacking?

NetViper said:
So Armando, looking at that turbo kit, would you say it is "right"? If not, what is it lacking?
Although not a great picture it still looks like crap.
nsxdualexhaust.jpg

So let see, 7499.00 for the kit. The AEM is about 1400.00 that means they put the kit together for about 6000.00. Factor in the shipping, installation and of course the tuning of the AEM, oh yeah dont forget about the dual wide band unless you start cutting corners (which many on here usually do) and you are close to the $10,000.00 mark. OK whose writing the check first?

Armando

I don't think those are reasonable comments Armando - first off, the picture you attached is obviously of a very old system probably a prototype (yes, I know it came from Cartech's web-site ....); the picture of the system on the Turbo-kits website shows a vey different fabricated exhaust & manifold system for starters.
As to dual Wide-band requirement - yes, this is a nice feature for insurance, but by no means a necessity to any FI system, that has been tuned & mapped properly. Dual Wide Band is not going to be a closed loop control on any unit, merely a warning indicator that someting has gone wrong, or wasn't tuned correctly to begin with. I know the Johnson systems for example don't have that feature (at least yet to my knowledge) & he has had no failures that I know of. If a user wants to add it to this system, then it is a common charge that would be similarly added to any other system out there.
So you are saying there is another $2500 required for tuning? (Cost of AEM is immaterial since it's already included in the package) Think you need to shop around a little! Regardless of what anyone pays for their tuning of whatever system they buy, it's going to be the same for pretty much any system - maybe with the exception of CTSC which has no ECM.
I have no bias one way or the other on this system - however it seems like a good value at $7500 relative to other FI systems currently available.
Maybe your overall message is that $7500 is not the final total that one can expect to pay - hopefully no-one is naive enough not to realize there are other costs involved (installation, tuning, braking upgrades etc), but again, these apply to any of the systems out there.

Attachments

• cartech_nsx_twin_turbo.jpeg
    cartech_nsx_twin_turbo.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,410
D'Ecosse said:
I don't think those are reasonable comments Armando - first off, the picture you attached is obviously of a very old system probably a prototype (yes, I know it came from Cartech's web-site ....); the picture of the system on the Turbo-kits website shows a vey different fabricated exhaust & manifold system for starters.

Just Posting whats on the site

As to du al Wide-band requirement - yes, this is a nice feature for insurance, but by no means a necessity to any FI system, that has been tuned & mapped properly Dual Wide Band is not going to be a closed loop control on any unit, merely a warning indicator that someting has gone wrong, or wasn't tuned correctly to begin with.

OK the final price is 9500.00 then, dont get the wideband.

So you are saying there is another $2500 required for tuning? (Cost of AEM is immaterial since it's already included in the package)

1500 to quote the website for installation and 1000.00 for tuning.

[/QUOTE]
Think you need to shop around a little!

No I don't, i have one already. :)

Regardless of what anyone pays for their tuning of whatever system they buy, it's going to be the same for pretty much any system - maybe with the exception of CTSC which has no ECM.

Agreed, so then the price they quote is not a real number.

I have no bias one way or the other on this system - however it seems like a good value at $7500 relative to other FI systems currently available.

Just stating some information for some who may be that naive.
.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'd like to hear about a few more of these out there running. :wink: There was some guy in Texas (I think) who posted on the RX7 forum back in November, about how his boss had just purchased one for his NSX. The guy said his boss was on this forum, but we haven't heard a peep from him about the kit, at least not that I know of. Also, the guy on the RX7 forum said he was going to post pictures the next day from the install completion, but never did. :confused: He did say it dyno'd at 397. The RX7 forum thread is located here.

Oh..

And I thought I remembered about FX having tuned one. Here's the post. I also recall that jorligan is the owner of the first NSX Cartech kit. Here is one of his posts.

Back