• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The next NSX has already been built!

hatchback said:
You can't compare the NSX replacement to the Phaeton. The Phaeton was a dud, did poorly in most reviews, crazy heavy and VW unreliable, why would anyone buy it regardless of who was making it? If the NSX replacement has a reliable mid-mounted detuned F1 engine, people will be all over it at $125k.

I will take that bet. You might want to think about that statement. For $125K you can get a nameplate with more Cache, or for half that you can get a Z06. If they put a 400-450 HP 3000lb car on the market for $125 it will be a dud within 2 years. I am a huge Honda and NSX fan (3 time owner), but I am pretty sure Honda knows they would have to have a car that would beat a F430, Z06, etc in every category to have a shot at selling more than a few hundred a year, and I think this is not the road they want to travel again.

I agree with Shumdit.
No matter how accomplished the NSX replacement is, quality alone is not enough to justify its price. We have ample evidence of that in the sales figures of the current NSX.

In fact, if Honda prices the NSX at 125k or thereabouts, they WILL lose even some of their diehard NSX fans/owners.

Ferrari sells as many cars in one year as Honda sold NSXs in 15 years!!!
That is not to put Honda down in any way. That is just how pricing works. There are ceilings that only some marques can go over and still succeed.

I think that makes us, the enthusiasts, the winners. We can get better quality, reliability and comparable performance for less. :biggrin:

liftcontrol said:
There are ceilings that only some marques can go over and still succeed.

I wonder how Toyota/Lexus will do with the LF-A. Six figures from a company that never had any product over roughly $70k.

But, you do have to hand it to 'em; they started in '89 with 2 models, with the most expensive being in the high $30s. Now look where they are. It's a textbook example, and one that you'd think Honda could've succeeded in also.

Original...

hatchback said:
You can't compare the NSX replacement to the Phaeton. The Phaeton was a dud, did poorly in most reviews, crazy heavy and VW unreliable, why would anyone buy it regardless of who was making it? If the NSX replacement has a reliable mid-mounted detuned F1 engine, people will be all over it at $125k.

Phaeton's insurance was the ace in VW's pocket... Bentley! The uber-expensive glass palace, namely the hand-assembly plant where the Phaeton is made can be accommodated to also assemble Bentley Continentals and Silver Spurs. As those cars share the platform & many components w/ the Phaeton, alot of the R&D costs that VW invested into the Phaeton can be recouped... :cool:

I think Toyota/Lexus will have a similar scheme w/ their LF-A, offering a Toyota badged Supra side by side to the Lexus supercar.

I hope Honda/Acura avoid this, alteast w/ the HSC/NSX-successor! Gotta keep it R-E-A-L !!! :tongue:

Shumdit said:
I will take that bet. You might want to think about that statement. For $125K you can get a nameplate with more Cache, or for half that you can get a Z06. If they put a 400-450 HP 3000lb car on the market for $125 it will be a dud within 2 years. I am a huge Honda and NSX fan (3 time owner), but I am pretty sure Honda knows they would have to have a car that would beat a F430, Z06, etc in every category to have a shot at selling more than a few hundred a year, and I think this is not the road they want to travel again.

You're stealing my material, man. BTW, it's "cachet."

liftcontrol said:
I agree with Shumdit.
No matter how accomplished the NSX replacement is, quality alone is not enough to justify its price. We have ample evidence of that in the sales figures of the current NSX.

Where were you guys on my "cancel the supercar" thread?!?! I coulda used the support!

morerpm said:
wonder how Toyota/Lexus will do with the LF-A. Six figures from a company that never had any product over roughly $70k.

But, you do have to hand it to 'em; they started in '89 with 2 models, with the most expensive being in the high $30s. Now look where they are. It's a textbook example, and one that you'd think Honda could've succeeded in also

Huh? Honda created this market space. Look at Acura. They outsell Lexus, excepting SUVs, which are as dead as fried chicken at this point.

Lexus cannot sell cars at beyond $70,000. If they put the LF-A out there, they are going to learn the hard lesson that Honda should have already learnt. People want Ferraris at that price, not Lexuses.

Right now, if you look at the sales data, Lexus, in cars, is doing comparatively poorly. They are getting squeezed by Acura on the low end and by BWM on the high end. While you saw ES300s all over the road 7 years ago, you don't see as many ES330s and hardly any ISs ever. The GS, also, once abundant, appears to have virtually vanished. There's been no proliferation of the new GS either. The LSs are still out there, but they offer a cost savings compared to an S-class.

Lexus is in no-man's land between two pricing niches. It is very clear that they cannot compete at BMW's price anymore than BMW can command what MB gets. But, Lexus is also a prestige boost above Acura or Infiniti. So, who knows what's in store for them? They have no car which can adequately compete w/ the 3- or the TL, tho. The GS is capable, surely, but nowhere near as prestigious as an E-class nor with the "ultimate drivability" of the 5-. The IS is small and underpowered. The LS is a credible, cheaper alternative to the S-, which just up and slaughters the 7-. BMW hardly sells any 7-s. Now, if THEY cannot compete at that price, how is Lexus going to? Lexus is just not as prestigious a brand anymore as BMW.

Just listen to rap music...what cars they rappin about now? In the comparatively modest mid 90s, it was Lexus coupes. The rappers have certainly upped their ambitions b/c now it's all about Bentleys and stuff. There are so many luxury marques now that Lexus got kind of lost in the shuffle in the car market. People set their sights a heck of a lot higher than japanese brands. Acura made the smart move going a bit downmarket with the value/cost proposition. That's why the TL outsells everything else.

liftshard said:
Where were you guys on my "cancel the supercar" thread?!?! I coulda used the support!

More belated support here. I read that whole thread, and found myself actually agreeing with you by the end. Rarely is anyone so well-researched and passionate about a topic. Hats off for a great read!

Indeed a Gallardo clone would be redundant. My hope is that when the new car comes out, all our jaws will drop at what an advance it represents, how UNLIKE any other car it is. How that will happen I don't know, because by definition if it's such a great advance, we don't know about it yet!

Honda needs to edge back ahead of Toyota on the engineering leaderboard. (yes, leading the world in hybrid design has transfered the crown). The new NSX/HSC might reclaim Honda that title.. or it might not. More is at stake here than just 'will the car sell'.

liftshard said:
Lexus cannot sell cars at beyond $70,000. If they put the LF-A out there, they are going to learn the hard lesson that Honda should have already learnt. People want Ferraris at that price, not Lexuses.

And Honda looks like they can't sell cars for more than low $40s. Brand new RL for '05, end of model year, and some are getting quotes for $39.8K. Monthly sales of the mega-buck NSX can basically be counted on two hands....for years now.

$50K plus is a tough market. And it's very limited. Ferraris, btw start in the 170 range.That's a far cry from 90-100K. Neither Toyota, nor Honda will ever compete head to head in price with the big boys.

liftshard said:
The IS is small and underpowered.

For about $40k loaded, it offers more power than ANY Honda. And it's not that small anymore.

liftshard said:
Just listen to rap music...what cars they rappin about now? In the comparatively modest mid 90s, it was Lexus coupes. The rappers have certainly upped their ambitions b/c now it's all about Bentleys and stuff.

Who are rap "musicians" targeting? The homies in the hood don't have the moolah. Doctors and high paid execs aren't sold on Bentleys b/c some dude callin' himself 47 Cent drives it in his video.

$100K barrier for Japanese cars...

MoreRPMs said:
... Brand new RL for '05, end of model year, and some are getting quotes for $39.8K...

Hot-damn... that's gotta be the best deal ever for a premium Honda product (well other than the 1991 NSX which had a MSRP of $59.9k)! The '05 RL is the best car in it's history ('86-'90 Gen.1 Legend, '91-'95 Gen.2 Legend, '96-'04 3.5_RL). :cool:

{In 1995, the Legend GS sedan had a MSRP of $42,650 & Legend LS coupe had a MSRP of $43,850. The low-end Legend L sedan had a MSRP of $36,100... most sold at or near MSRP, as Honda/Acura discounting & year-end clearance were minimal back then ($1k-2k off)}

As far as Lexus goes, I've read/heard about a longer-wheelbase, high-output 4.6L V8 powered LS460L & gas-electric hybrid LS600hL nearing $100k to be released redesigned in 2006 as a 2007 model?!? :eek:

liftshard said:
People want Ferraris at that price, not Lexuses.

Well, they can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!!! They aren't going to find a Ferrari for $70K! Every Ferrari owner I know that had an NSX, says the NSX was the better car, and that they would keep the NSX if they had it to do over again. If Honda builds an NSX that out performs the Ferraris, then it will absolutely be a success at $70K+. Just like if Hondajet builds a private jet that outperforms Lears and Cessnas for $900K-1.2M, it will be successful as well. Acura did a poor job marketing the current NSX. Who would pay $160K+ for a Volkswagen?? Hello, Gallardo buyers!!! Or..a VW for $1.1 million??? Hello, Bugatti Veyron buyers!!! Isn't Ferrari owned by Fiat?? Or, at least they have a large amount of control over Ferrari?? I met a guy at NSXPO that said he's owned nothing but Hondas since 1967. He's had 10 different cars, 6 motorcycles, 5 lawnmowers, leafblowers, generators etc. He has a beautiful NSX. He said he could easily afford a F or P, but they aren't built by Honda. He said he would pay any price for the next NSX. I understand he's an extreme example. But, Honda (Toyota too) has slowly built HUGE brand loyalty to where people who started out with a Civic, work there way up through the lineup until they can get the halo cars like an NSX. Wealthy people appreciate value like anyone else. They want to keep there money, and Honda has shown them a way to do that. Honda made Ferrari build better cars. They will make Cessna and Lear build better planes too. They will have to to compete, or be kicked to the curb!!!

How about a $70k chevy? Build the car!!

MoreRPMs said:
And Honda looks like they can't sell cars for more than low $40s. Brand new RL for '05, end of model year, and some are getting quotes for $39.8K. Monthly sales of the mega-buck NSX can basically be counted on two hands....for years now.

$50K plus is a tough market. And it's very limited. Ferraris, btw start in the 170 range.That's a far cry from 90-100K. Neither Toyota, nor Honda will ever compete head to head in price with the big boys.

Doc C said:
Well, they can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!!! They aren't going to find a Ferrari for $70K! Every Ferrari owner I know that had an NSX, says the NSX was the better car, and that they would keep the NSX if they had it to do over again. If Honda builds an NSX that out performs the Ferraris, then it will absolutely be a success at $70K+.

I agree totally! The NSX was an instant success in 1990 because they offered a better car than Ferrari and Porsche at a cheaper price and 270 hp in a 3000lbs package was considered absolutely on par a Testarossa or even far better than a 348 ( only 300 "F" hp in a way heavier chassis ).

Today Honda only have to offer "now" a 2800 lbs @ 500hp, and a 2800 lbs @ 590hp three years later and 2800 lbs @ 640hp four years later!!! This should garantee a nice 10 years + life for the NSX successor...

The important thing is to keep in mind to let room for significant improvements for years to come and not to reproduce the same mistake of not keeping up with competition and ridiculously give 20 hp in seven years!!!

Just my 2 cents ( canadian... but as you may notice we are getting closer in value!!! :smile: as with the Euro!!! )

IMO 450hp would be also a feat because it will be a Honda.

effer said:
I agree totally! The NSX was an instant success in 1990 because they offered a better car than Ferrari and Porsche at a cheaper price and 270 hp in a 3000lbs package was considered absolutely on par a Testarossa or even far better than a 348 ( only 300 "F" hp in a way heavier chassis ).

IMO 450hp would be also a feat because it will be a Honda.

I really find myself agreeing with this line of thought.

I think we ALL know that the marketing and sales of the new NSX is going to be very difficult. I think we are all lucky Honda is even giving it a shot again.

I believe there is no room for debate: Honda must necessarily build a better car than the original NSX. And Honda must keep the price at or under 100K.

The NSX was and is one of the most unique cars in the history of the automobile. No one needs to tell us Prime members how special this car really is. They need to tell people who have never even heard of Prime.

That being said, Honda is going to have to do the same this time around. I put forth that for the new NSX to be a success, it will have to be as groundbreaking as the original, even more so.

Honda must appeal to all. That this is the only car to buy for the price, quality, looks and performance package. Why would you buy anything else? That's what Honda needs to be able to say.

If that's to be true, it MUST HAVE

1) At least, (and I do mean at least) 425 HP and <3000 lbs. I believe honda can make that package work. I believe that a 425-450 new NSX HP can equal or better 500 Z06 HP. I really do. 425-450 HP in Honda's hands should be deadly.

2) Handling equal to the current Type-R without the rough ride. With enough R&D, this shouldn't be a problem. The Type-R, if one is to be built, should have the best handling in the world.

3) Killer looks. Inside and out. Everyone should agree that it's a beautiful car. Nothing less. The original NSX did fine there. There's no excuse for not making this so.

4) A paddle shifter option. It's absolutely necessary in this day and age. It's the direction of performance technology today.

5) A price under 100K. This is essential because, for all it's accomplishments, we CANNOT forget that this is, despite all the evidence otherwise, a Honda. We must understand that this really does scare people off.

If Honda offers this car at 125K, people will: 1) Readily admit that the NSX is a better car; and 2) Immediately go buy a 911 or Aston or Gallardo or Ferrari.

It's painful to admit, but people would rather be seen driving a 911 or Ferrari than an NSX. I don't think that Prime members feel this way, but Honda doesn't need to market the car to Prime members! They need to market it to non prime members who don't feel the way we do! These people need a reason NOT to buy a 911!! I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it. Honda needs to persuade in order to be successful. With numbers and looks.

We need to get over the "If you want a 911 or Ferrari, than you're not an NSX person. Go buy your bucket of bolts and don't call me when it's in the shop" mindset. NO!! If Honda and everyone who loves the NSX wants this version to be a success, that we DO need to persuade these people to buy the NSX! I hate to do that, but don't we want this to succeed? Honda can't afford the NSX to again be a car that one "discovers." It needs to be plain as day to all! And pushed down our throats. Then people might wake up and buy the darn thing!

These "outsiders" don't really care about quality!! That's why they buy their Ferraris and 911s and Astons! They want to look good and go fast. High price isn't even bragging rights. What's a 911TT? 130K? But a 911TT is a 911TT. What's a Gallardo? 160K? I really don't think it's about price. The quality is the icing that makes an NSX rational to these types of people in the end. Just one more selling point that Honda needs to persuade.

Trust me. These people will drop the extra 25 or 30K to upgrade to that, I guarantee you. They will think 125K for a Honda is too much. But maybe not 50k or 70K more. That's why they've got to keep it at 100K.

I really believe that Honda can make this car a success, but it must adhere strictly to these points.

No offense to any one in this thread, BUT I find it funny how many people are talking about a 100-125k car doing good in the market because it is better then a Ferrari and wealthy people like a value too. Obviously you all missed the NSX vs 348 thread on Fchat that was posted in off topic. The Ferrari guys mostly wanted nothing to do with the NSX. Honestly, they were defending one of the worst F cars ever as way better then the NSX. :rolleyes: That is not even a realistic part of the market for the next NSX or new Lexus. People who can afford a Ferrari buy one because of the name not the overall numbers the car posts. Same with P cars. As for owner loyalty, the guy at NSXPO is a rare find, IMHO. I think that if the new NSX is at or above 100k it will be a sinking ship loaded with lead. It should be closer to current price or near ZO6/Viper price. The only reason the ford GT is so high is because of the history. The NSX does not have that.

nuccaJB said:
No offense to any one in this thread, BUT I find it funny how many people are talking about a 100-125k car doing good in the market because it is better then a Ferrari and wealthy people like a value too. Obviously you all missed the NSX vs 348 thread on Fchat that was posted in off topic. The Ferrari guys mostly wanted nothing to do with the NSX. Honestly, they were defending one of the worst F cars ever as way better then the NSX. :rolleyes: That is not even a realistic part of the market for the next NSX or new Lexus. People who can afford a Ferrari buy one because of the name not the overall numbers the car posts. Same with P cars. As for owner loyalty, the guy at NSXPO is a rare find, IMHO. I think that if the new NSX is at or above 100k it will be a sinking ship loaded with lead. It should be closer to current price or near ZO6/Viper price. The only reason the ford GT is so high is because of the history. The NSX does not have that.

All good points. If the new NSX is priced around the same as the new Z06 I will buy the new NSX. If the new NSX is priced around an F360, I will wait for the new NSX to depreciate to the price of a new Z06. Then I will buy the NSX. :biggrin:

nuccaJB said:
...I find it funny how many people are talking about a 100-125k car doing good in the market because it is better then a Ferrari and wealthy people like a value too. ...I think that if the new NSX is at or above 100k it will be a sinking ship loaded with lead. It should be closer to current price or near ZO6/Viper price.

What if its performance is on par with say, a Carrera GT, but the price happens to be $140k?

Screw the poseurs who buy a car because of the badge on the hood, or those looking for "bang for the buck". I say don't compromise, and target this car at the true enthusiasts. There are enough car nuts out there who can appreciate a 10,000 rpm, 580 hp, F1-derived technological beast, are there not?

MoreRPMs said:
What if its performance is on par with say, a Carrera GT, but the price happens to be $140k?

Screw the poseurs who buy a car because of the badge on the hood, or those looking for "bang for the buck". I say don't compromise, and target this car at the true enthusiasts. There are enough car nuts out there who can appreciate a 10,000 rpm, 580 hp, F1-derived technological beast, are there not?

I cannot be sure about this but I still think the buyers would go for a more expensive, less performing Ferrari, Porsche, ... who really needs a car faster than a F430? And who between the hyper-richs needs a 580hp, F1-derived Honda??? :confused:

PS: the FordGT is a bad example, not only because of the history factor, but also because it is emant to sell in 10X less quantitiy than a new NSX/HSC.

MoreRPMs said:

NO! There aren't!

This is a TINY, tiny market, already crowded with mfrs who ONLY MAKE cars for this niche!

Ferrari and Lambo do NOT make cars OTHER than in this price niche. The town is about big enough for ONE historically, Ferrari. Lambo is in and out of bankruptcy or some other car co's ownership. During the Roaring 90s, they emerged, but they are hardly on good footing. Another prolonged recession and they're as done as they were when the 80s crashed.

There are enough cars already in the 70-120k range, too. You have MB and Porsche and a huge glut of used Astons and Ferraris. Hell, you can get a 550M for less than $120k now. 996TTs for 70 or 80. Pretty cheap. There are just so many cars available and not that many buyers...

The NSX, to succeed, has to be priced at or near the Viper and Z06, but perform like a Ferrari. NOBODY, no matter how well it performs, even Carrera GT, is gonna buy a Honda at $140k, or a Lexus, for that matter.

C'mon, Ferrari has been doing this schtick for 50 years. They own the ultrahigh sports space. Newcomers like Aston and Lambo are functionally historically bankrupt companies, WHY they are mostly owned and parts'd by Ford and VW.

Screw the poseurs? Honda has to have the poseurs. The poseurs are the ones who drive profits. The masses. People not like US. You know, "everybody ELSE"?

I just see no reason for Honda to be making a car that is $100,000 when they cannot even sell RLs at half that. In the early days of Acura, there were NO cars in this niche. Acura created it. And, BMW and MB have released TONS of new models, broadening their sales range, because they LEVERAGED their superior inherent prestige. Now, they have reclaimed the space. Lexus is a downward-trending brand, sorry. They will fall down to where Infiniti and Acura are, not ascend to BMW. It's already been happening.

As for the comparison of cars to jets, this is absurd. People do not buy jets based upon the name. They buy them based upon capability and everyone costs about the same. If Honda can produce a faster jet, it will sell because time is money. If they can shave maintenance costs, it will sell. Look at Boeing vs. Airbus. When there is true competition in jet space, the better jet tends to rise to the top.

The last NSX was NOT a sales success, even as much better than a 348 as it was. Applying the same formula again and expecting it to work better this time isn't the definition of success, it's the definition of insanity.

The NSX probably cannot sell in competition with the 911. At Z06 or Viper prices, the options are a little bit better, but it has to have beyond Z06 or Viper performance. Paper numbers DO matter to people. 0-60 and peak HP.

See the problem here? The Z06 and Viper are already offering beyond most Ferrari performance. I mean, what Ferraris can outdrag these cars? The Enzo? The 430 looks fast as hell, but the Viper and Vette have been at it long enough to know that their numbers are no ringers. Even still, call them at parity. And, they're cheap. So, there's a downward pricing pressure on every carmaker. If they don't bring wow factor to the table on account of the badge, they have to get it somewhere else. Porsche brings wow factor. Ferrari does. MB does. Chevy doesn't. Dodge doesn't. And, Honda doesn't. So, the wow cars can get away w/ being slower. Nobody cares if the Z06 can smoke them, except for the ppl in that Ford GT thread here, but I digress...

Faster drag times elicit "so what?" among F-car guys. It's because their car has far superior chickmagnet coefficient. So, Honda, to sell, HAS to outperform the cars with similar CmCs. Basically, this is the opposite of the Acura/MB/BMW/Lexus strategy!

The "Corvette," per se, is not REALLY a Chevy. It's a CORVETTE. It has its own name, essentially is its own brand. Nobody tells ppl they drive a Chevy, they ALL drive Corvettes. Acura, like everyone else in premium, has pursued a brand-identification strategy. Numbers and letters. It works for Porsche, Ferrari, MB. Tell them "I have a Benz." Everyone goes whoa. Could be a C230K hatchback...it's a Benz. In their mind, they think big saloon. MB capitalizes on this. And, it's why Acura got rid of the Legend moniker, because people weren't associating its prestige w/ "Acura" as a whole.

So, how in hell does an "Acura" expect to compete with a "Porsche"? Acura has gone out of its way to make the Acura name the defining element here. There is no cool name like Viper or Corvette to attach. So, Honda'd better get one and hype it so that ppl KNOW EXACTLY WHAT CAR THIS IS. No blank stares at "NSX."

That's the only way they're not driving "just a Honda"...if Honda separates this particular model from its aegis. If they do, then it becomes no halo car. Chevy's other cars get jack from the Corvette. No trickledown. If they don't, the car's a sales failure.

This is the calculus I go through before I post "provocative" threads which get me into trouble with the moderators here and certain ppl complain about me. But, I am right. It's unfortunate that the world IS populated by vacuous image-minded people, but it's true nonetheless.

The "new NSX" needs performance, price, AND a name all in its favor. The brand, history, "F1," and all of that is insufficient to carry it.

Hey Lifts,only 396 posts,,,but 80,000.00 words! :wink:

I will stick up for Lifts here. This guy puts more thought into his posts than everyone else here combined, and gets no appreciation for it. Agree or not, he's got a point.

This thing needs to slot between the Z06 at $70K and the 911TT at $120K. Not a lot of breathing room there, and crazy performance on both ends. Beyond that you bump up against the Gallardo, and people paying Lambo money for a Honda is even less likely than paying Porsche money for a Honda, which hasn't even happened yet.

How do you significantly outperform a Z06? Do people even care about tiny incrementally more performance than a Z06? I sure don't, enough is enough (I never thought I'd say that!) And it can't out-prestige the Euro names. So it needs something else to set itself apart.

How? The only "frontier" left in the supercar arena, that I can see, is pushing the edge in fuel economy, quality, maintenance hassle, emissions.. basically keep the supercar qualities, but then try to add some Accord Hybrid qualities. Which is pretty much what Liftshard said in that other "lively" thread.

Will those things sell? I think they have a better chance of selling than just being .001 sec quicker than the 911TT.

Back