• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of selling your nsx?

I was speaking to a friend lately. He wanted my opinion on buying the $70k+ NA2 Coupe that's for sale now. I mentioned that for near $70k you can buy a much better car than an old NSX, namely the Porsche GT4. There's no way i'd buy an NSX now. That ship has sailed.

I don't disagree with your assessment, once you start getting in the $50-60k range there is a lot of competition. However, you are taking in to account only the initial sale price of the car. Sure both cars cost $70k, but with the Porsche you have depreciation & maintenance that are going to add up to a significantly higher overall ownership cost than a $70k NSX. Since we are talking assets, it is important to be factoring in the buy/sell price and that is where the used NSX will financially make for a better purchase than the Porsche. Of course, the Porsche can drive circles around the NSX but that is a different matter ;)

I do 100% agree though that the bargain ship has sailed. NSXs are no longer a hidden gem/outrageous deal that they have been for years. They are still a good, solid buy though as long as you do your homework.

There is no car south of $100k (probably even a bit more) that I would rather have than my NSX. Yeah mine has been modified to my liking and modernized. Nonetheless, the combination of looks, exclusivity, performance and "wow factor" [to/for me] are unmatched. I don't expect a new buyer to have the same appreciation. The NSX is a hidden gem in the sense that only those who have owned it can truly understand the above.

tldr: I am a fanboi

I don't disagree with your assessment, once you start getting in the $50-60k range there is a lot of competition. However, you are taking in to account only the initial sale price of the car. Sure both cars cost $70k, but with the Porsche you have depreciation & maintenance that are going to add up to a significantly higher overall ownership cost than a $70k NSX. Since we are talking assets, it is important to be factoring in the buy/sell price and that is where the used NSX will financially make for a better purchase than the Porsche. Of course, the Porsche can drive circles around the NSX but that is a different matter ;)

I do 100% agree though that the bargain ship has sailed. NSXs are no longer a hidden gem/outrageous deal that they have been for years. They are still a good, solid buy though as long as you do your homework.

You make a good point, and if you can buy a used car in any of the examples I mentioned, the comparison would be closer to each other. However, since you bring up maintenance, you should also consider that parts for the NSX are becoming harder to come by. Many parts are now discontinued. So how much is that worth to a new buyer? I suspect parts will become harder and harder to come by and used parts will costs more.

ya - parts are getting scarce.

Here is a little anecdotal story though regarding maintenance of the NSX and more modern replacements. A local guy had an R8 at a buddy of mine's garage and we got talking about doing something as simple as an oil change. Turns out there are *five* drain plugs and the whole rear underbody aero shield needs to be pulled just to access everything. The final plug requires a special tool just to get it out easily. That floored me when I think about how easy it is to do an oil change in the NSX. Even though R8 prices are getting to be on par with an NSX, the maintenance costs are still rough as these newer more sophisticated cars are well... newer and more sophisticated

A 1991 NSX was a classic before production ceased in '05. 91's are technically antiques at this point and the rest are making their way, year by year. They are unquestionably incredible automobiles. However, there are plenty of other incredible automobiles. My personal belief is that they have now shifted from the relevant newer car genre to the collectible car genre and this has changed the ownership experience.

A few years ago I sold the car that had the most sentimental value of any car I will ever own. It’s my new avatar pic. It was honestly the most difficult decision I've ever had to make about a possession. Well two years later and I don't regret my decision. The memories are forever and I'm making new memories now with a different possession. It was also a very freeing experience and it led me to sell my first NSX, which I said I never would. That has been an equally excellent experience because the new owner has the passion for it that I did, when I was doing the project work on it. Also, it raised funds for other interesting projects.

Own the car if it’s fun and you derive some type of happiness or pleasure from it.
Don't own the car if it owns you. My 2 cents

Oh and even I drive my cars...when they are drivable. However, to each their own and just because you drive your car it doesn't make you any more of a car enthusiast than the guy who enjoys looking at it like a painting. Just sayin'....

I thought it was just yesterday when you bought it. :) I told you that you would not loose a penny on the car. Turns out you made quite a few, good on you! What's next?

It was tough to let go!! Changed my mind a number of times but couldn't pass up the offer. I appreciated your help quite a bit during my search - thank you for that!

I am getting into a G5 viper! My torque bug is too strong and miss my gen 2 a lot. As soon as I drove the G5, I was hooked. I'm sure you can understand since your a viper owner. Wish I could have kept both the NSX and viper but finances and space won't allow right now :(

Sell NSX for this....thoughts?

03-2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-ny-1.jpg

^^^ Not in a million years.... Don't care how fast....

Here is how I look at it. New cars look new... The nsx looks old. But a graceful old. I constantly tell people who do not know that it is a 1991... To which they usually reply, Oh I thought it was the new nsx.... Show me any camaro or corvette from the 90's today and that how the new cars will look in 10 years... Just sayin. My nsx is staying put... Besides, I have met too many great people to let it slip away.

- - - Updated - - -

I love American cars for their torque moster motors yet hate everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet, show me a 50's corvette... I will buy!!!!

Last edited:
Off topic but does anyone ever get sick of seeing these big ugly mustangs and camaros and challengers everywhere you go? I literally see them every single day. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of them, and would never sell my Nsx for one of them either.:wink:

Off topic but does anyone ever get sick of seeing these big ugly mustangs and camaros and challengers everywhere you go? I literally see them every single day. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of them, and would never sell my Nsx for one of them either.:wink:
You Mean these guys?
attachment.php

I see them everywhere I go.... Generally speaking, in California if you own a Dodge, your either a drug dealer, from the ghetto, or just have daddy issues.... :biggrin:
Sorry dodge guys.... But your brand has been marketed to the ghettos of America...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 862
It was tough to let go!! Changed my mind a number of times but couldn't pass up the offer. I appreciated your help quite a bit during my search - thank you for that!

I am getting into a G5 viper! My torque bug is too strong and miss my gen 2 a lot. As soon as I drove the G5, I was hooked. I'm sure you can understand since your a viper owner. Wish I could have kept both the NSX and viper but finances and space won't allow right now :(

Can't go wrong with a G5, with full exhaust and tune the car is over 600wheel. It's a beast and you will love it. It's on my list and I will have one someday, but I just don't want to let go of my GenII and can't justify having both. You will only need to add a few bucks to your sale price to slide into a great G5. I think the G5 market is 1-2 years from the bottom and then they will hold tight forever due to low production. Give me a call if you get a chance as would love to hear about how your NSX selling experience went as my NSX is very similar to yours. All the best with the new car, post pictures!

Anybody that scoffs at that Camaro is in serious denial. Saying they don't care how fast it is....or how well it goes around a track not mattering to them.......riiiight. The NSX is a very special car, and can be modernized to a high degree, but in the end it's still almost 30 year old technology. JMHO

Anybody that scoffs at that Camaro is in serious denial. Saying they don't care how fast it is....or how well it goes around a track not mattering to them.......riiiight. The NSX is a very special car, and can be modernized to a high degree, but in the end it's still almost 30 year old technology. JMHO

Does nothing for me. It's a giant fat piggy looking car. I think it's bigger than the BroncoII I drove in high school.

You can't avoid "feel" due to weight and size

driving the NSX and then jumping into the S2000 is a completely different experience for example

If you want improvement in a specific category such as power, handling, look, tech, and sound etc, there are many new cars better than NSX.

But if you are looking for the overall package + classic purist sport car, NSX is the only one I can find. Even with discontinued parts, I feel it's not as scary as buying replacement parts for GTR or R8 or Vintage etc.

The closest car to NSX is probably Evora or Cayman. But none of them allow me to cruise long trip like NSX.

So, I will keep the NSX until I see another $40k-50k mid engine car or a reasonable priced GPW 02+.

Last edited:
I have to admit that the thought of selling mine has crossed my mind a few times, given the current market. But, I have no idea what I'd replace it with if I did. I've driven some cars that I thought I'd want but none made me smile the same or gave me the same sensation I get from my underpowered, out dated Japanese ricer. Even Lambo and Ferrari, as much as I like their designs and coveted them in my younger days left me comparing my NSX to them. They were fun but, not the same. If I try to explain it to someone who has never driven an NSX, I can't and just come out as a fanboy. (Which I am BTW.) Plus, when you add all of the great people from all over the world that I've met and the events and experiences I and my son have had because of this car, it's a no brainer. So unless there is a car out there that really affects me the same as my NSX, I'll just keep it and enjoy it. Everyone has their own reasons as to whether to sell or keep. But, I see many that sell only to come back later. Given the current market, that's become a very expensive mistake.

Last edited:
I have thought about selling years ago when my NSX stopped being my daily and that thought led to me deciding to track the car more often and have fun with it so it became relevant to me owning it otherwise she just sat around waiting for me to find time to go for a drive. As much as I love my old girl it doesnt compare to the newer cars with all the power and gadgets however it still feels fun to be in and tinker with and that is something the newer cars dont have as much of, it may be slow compared to those but it has a "feel" to it thats hard to replicate, its not all about power.

What would I replace it with? Seems to be the theme here! Nothing under 50K, new or used comes to close. A 996TT intrigues me; but then I start adding up all the maintenance costs and other costs of ownership it intrigues me right back to the NSX. LOL

. . . . I mentioned that for near $70k you can buy a much better car than an old NSX, namely the Porsche GT4. . . .

$70k for a GT4? No way. I'd buy them all day long at $70K. Most GT4s are going for $$$ above MSRP (even used).

Narrative confirmed. The camaro is a lard ass pig....

12920734204_a9af965e46_h.jpg

I recently sold my 1996 to put a down payment on a house. I bought it 2012 for $40,000. That to me was the perfect price point to get on the nsx train. I had a feeling though it was going to be the last time I owned an NSX even though it was my favorite car of all time. Now prices have crept up to the point where it doesn't make sense for me personally. If I dropped 80k on a 02+ it would probably never get driven which is a shame. That ship regrettably has sailed. Now I play the waiting game for 12c's to creep below 150K

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R
1996 Acura NSX-T sold :(
2008 Z06 sold :(
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2011 CTS-V traded :(
2010 Escalde offical miata tow vehicle

No kidding... I mean, the NSX being tiny is pretty cool in its own unique way, but in my opinion these guys are being a bit too fanboi and close-minded. One downside of driving a tiny old car that I'm increasingly worrying about as I get older and lamer is the whole crash safety thing. You bet I'd much rather get in an accident in a 2016 "fat piggy" car with side curtain airbags and countless other safety regulations than my 20+yr old NSX. Do my 23 year old airbags even work anymore? No idea, and not willing to find out.

I wouldn't trade in my NSX for a typical Stang GT or a Camaro SS, but when the GT350R (which has made every reviewer shit their pants with joy) or this upcoming ZL1 (which should do the same when extrapolating the SS's performance) is brought to the table, the trade's kind of a no-brainer to me. I have to admit after 5 years of ownership the NSX "oldness" is creeping up to me. It used to be a special and fast car when I lusted for it as a teenager. Now it is merely a special car. I have no complaints about my absurdly low cost-of ownership during this period though.

I know it's cool to hate on domestics and all around here, but seriously, are you really saying that this doesn't look absolutely sick? And it'll lap faster than any NSX short of a stripped out race car.
2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-inline5-photo-662509-s-original.jpg

Last edited:
i hope to never sell my NSX. it will be a sad day when i do,because it probably means i can't drive it anymore. it took me 18 years after it came out to get it, and was the happy fulfillment of a dream. for me,it is still just right,hits the sweet spot of enjoyment. i love its analog nature. mine is near-stock but subtly improved. i have taken off most of the weight increase in targas, put super-light wheels on to reduce unsprung weight, had the injectors cleaned/calibrated,gotten 100-cell high-flow cats and new plugs, and had things like the throttle body cleaned. it pulls hard and strong.
i recently sold my 414hp M3 DD,and told my friend it was too much car. he of course had to give hell, saying "man you sound really old." we're both 60 and went to high school together. it wasn't too much car to handle,it wasn't that fast,although it did hit the rev limiter real quick in 1st and 2nd. what i meant was,it was really hard to use it on the street. there's nowhere around here to do 1/4 mile runs and tracking just seems to have too many prerequisites to make it fun,i don't like too many rules in my free time. so the only place i could really get on it was on on-ramps,where i would be slowing down to 80 as i merged.
it's human nature to want more,and more is better,right? not necessarily. as performance cars hit 500-700 hp and more, they become even less usable in the real world. Road & Track just showed a guy who'd gotten a new Mclaren 650. less than 10 minutes later it was wrapped around a tree.
the NSX has always been a less is more kind of car. there's nothing wrong with a higher performance car,and if was a lot richer, i'd probably ignore everything i just said and get a Ferrari 458 Italia. but there's nothing i can remotely afford that i want more,and i get a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of owning it and driving it. it has a fun and satisfying amount of oomph,the sound, driving position and handling are fabulous, it hasn't bankrupted me, and i love how it looks.

Last edited:
Back