• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of selling your nsx?

In the end there is something for everyone and we should be glad we have so many choices. I find the opinions in this thread interesting and enlightening. Almost every post makes a good point or two. I have thought about selling the NSX and moving on to something else but it is a very difficult decision to make. The kicker for me is when I park the car in my garage and take a last look at it before going in the house. To my eye the car is so aesthetically pleasing I have a hard time imagining what the garage would look like without the Red Princess living there. Clearly there are more modern cars that perform better but there is something intangible about this car that compels me to not want to part with it.

Best,
Jeff

Not worth it for $100K. (That's the current market price for a GT350R). Paying that much for a nicely optioned higher performance version of a common car like a Mustang is crazy. Even though it's fast it will in many ways seem like a downgrade from a mid engine exotic such as the NSX. Cars such as the Lotus Evora, R8, 12C, and entry level Ferrari models more closely match the NSX's overall character and specialness.

I know it's cool to hate on domestics and all around here, but seriously, are you really saying that this doesn't look absolutely sick? And it'll lap faster than any NSX short of a stripped out race car.
2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-inline5-photo-662509-s-original.jpg

No kidding... I mean, the NSX being tiny is pretty cool in its own unique way, but in my opinion these guys are being a bit too fanboi and close-minded. One downside of driving a tiny old car that I'm increasingly worrying about as I get older and lamer is the whole crash safety thing. You bet I'd much rather get in an accident in a 2016 "fat piggy" car with side curtain airbags and countless other safety regulations than my 20+yr old NSX. Do my 23 year old airbags even work anymore? No idea, and not willing to find out.

I wouldn't trade in my NSX for a typical Stang GT or a Camaro SS, but when the GT350R (which has made every reviewer shit their pants with joy) or this upcoming ZL1 (which should do the same when extrapolating the SS's performance) is brought to the table, the trade's kind of a no-brainer to me. I have to admit after 5 years of ownership the NSX "oldness" is creeping up to me. It used to be a special and fast car when I lusted for it as a teenager. Now it is merely a special car. I have no complaints about my absurdly low cost-of ownership during this period though.

I know it's cool to hate on domestics and all around here, but seriously, are you really saying that this doesn't look absolutely sick? And it'll lap faster than any NSX short of a stripped out race car.
2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-inline5-photo-662509-s-original.jpg
It is a mean looking car yes. I am no fanboy either. I grew up with modified American muscle cars. First car I owned was a 1980 Malibu classic which I swapped a 350 into with a turbo tranny and crane cams. I love the high torque motors. But as I mentioned, I hate everything else. My car is a freakin 1991 and I can go into the garage anytime time I want and the car starts right up on the first fire, and it is boosted... No oil leaks either.... Something American cars always had issues with. Maybe not true today. I also owned a few Dodges and for the life of me would never EVER buy one again. The brakes were worthless and would go through pads in months... The last Ford I drove was a rental car in Florida. The V8 model. It was ok. But fit and finish was nothing like an import. You also have a hell of a time keeping the ass end on the road...
However, I can't get rid of this new car itch I have been having. Which is why I am taking "almost" everything back to stock on my Nsx. Keeping the Advan rg3 and ctsc. Suspension is going back to stock. Body is mostly 02 stock.
I like the car for what it is and I no longer want to push the envelope with crappy aftermarket parts that cost a fortune...

$70k for a GT4? No way. I'd buy them all day long at $70K. Most GT4s are going for $$$ above MSRP (even used).

While I was trying to make a point by quoting $70k (we all know they're a bit more), if you're paying above msrp you haven't looked hard enough. Several owners here in Socal have been offered GT4s at msrp. Additionally, there are now 2 GT4s sitting at Socal Porsche dealerships because the original buyers backed out. The hype is over. Still a great car though.

While I was trying to make a point by quoting $70k (we all know they're a bit more), if you're paying above msrp you haven't looked hard enough. Several owners here in Socal have been offered GT4s at msrp. Additionally, there are now 2 GT4s sitting at Socal Porsche dealerships because the original buyers backed out. The hype is over. Still a great car though.
Gt4 sounds like a great track car, but the gearing doesn't sound fun for the street.

Indeed the GT4 bubble popped, I bought one in Canada @ MSRP last week, arrives in July - though my ties with the local Porsche SA go back a ways having previously owned a 997.1 GT3 etc. While I think the initial re-sale tax of 25%+ on GT4's has faded, there are still a LOT of people who will buy this car @ MSRP, the allocation slots that come up on Rennlist are gone instantly. I don't personally see the GT4 appreciating but I also don't see anyone losing money on them, Porsche should have sold those for 10-20K higher than they did, quite the bargain.

Once i have the chance to drive the GT4 I will decide whether or not to keep my NSX. Being that my car has higher miles and is built/boosted it's probably not a long term keeper for me, I would prefer a car with stock drivetrain.

Side note, the body shop just finished the car up this week, removed the 02+ front and installed the original pop-up front end, painted everything below the window line, they did a brilliant job - I also converted from tan to black interior with almost exclusively new Acura parts... expensive winter :s

AD48DA3B-DB5D-4DFA-BC4B-DD3C6126B380_2.jpg

I do believe the NSX is going to become a very expensive car in the not too distant future, it's the first true Japanese "supercar" and it's beautiful, the day will come where the price of these cars will eclipse that of the E30 M3 IMO.

I love my '91 NSX but I still like to look at the menu.. mostly at Caymans. Now that the 3.8 engine finally made it into the 981 platform, oddly it's the Boxster Spyder I would take. That thing is gorgeous and I don't even like convertibles.

As a PCA member, rennlister, and owner of numerous Porsches (and one NSX), the only new Porsche I'd buy now is a GT4. The GT4 at MSRP is a bargain. With a GT3 front suspension, normally aspirated 3.8, the cayman has finally fulfilled its full potential. Porsche had sandbagged (or withheld natural development of) the cayman until the GT4. Buy one to track and another to collect.

Ever since I purchased my NSX, I vowed to never sell it.

At a time (and still) where Manual NSX's are so scarce here in Australia, anything that comes up is bought up by anyone. I was very lucky to find one that is unique and well kept.

I do have a 997 GT3 waiting for me in the garage, but I could never rid of the NSX.

On this subject I had a guy at a car meet ask me what I thought my car was worth. At the time Haggerty priced a #2 NSX at $52K so I said thats what I'd probably say its worth, but that I didn't really expect anyone to offer me that. He then said he'd offer me $53K on the spot for my car, said he'd seen it at E&E a couple times and had been waiting for me to make another appearance so he could make an offer.

I took his card and said I'd think about it. This forced me to really get my head around the true "value" of the car; to me that is. So I asked myself (actually my wife asked me) if I had $53,000 in my hand what would I want instead - answer- there is nothing out there for those kind of dollars that I would actually want except another NSX. I know everyone touts the Caymans but they're not the beauty an NSX is and I doubt seriously they'd be as bullet proof as the NSX. And I'd be an idiot to let a really excellent NSX go just to turn around and suffer the angst of trying to find another one.

He was disappointed but said he understood but if I changed my mind to call. I told him if the phone doesn't ring it'll probably be me.
So I'm sure I'll be keeping mine for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
i had no qualms about selling my '96 NSX, but that was always to fulfill my end goal of having an '02+ NSX. in my opinion the last body style of the first generation NSX retains the classic shape and design of the original, but looks modern with the updated aesthetic touches, combining the best of both worlds.

now that i have exactly the model i want (which was originally not this one, i wanted another red/tan to match my Ducati collection), i have no plans to ever sell this car. a Cayman will indeed run circles around it, but i just don't see it in the same class as an NSX. i would absolutely buy a manual R8 but would do so in addition to, not in replacement of. an Alfa 4C seems like it'd be fun also. those two are probably the only cars in the under $100,000 price range that interest me. maybe even a Lotus Esprit Twin Turbo V8? always loved those, and they're stupid fast once you de-restrict them. obviously i like things i wouldn't see every day, although i do see NSX's fairly often here in L.A., some times even two or three in a day. but generally, not nearly as often as every variety of Porsche and Prius.

i'll never sell my old Ducati 900ss cr, nor my 1198s or 848 Corse SE. nor the Nicky Hayden RC51 i just picked up. the other bikes will come and go as i get bored with them. my NSX is all stock save for complete Honda re-badging and a short antenna. it's fairly boring to drive in comparison to any of the newer stuff, but it's still a very special car. as some people mentioned earlier, it's one of the last of the true analog Supercars. i'll always keep it around for that, and because it was my first favourite car. and still is, and that's why it's special to me...

Back