• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torco oil the best oil now?

Apparently the domestic guys (like the GTO) really like their differential oils.

Here's a test of a fellow NSX:

http://asia.vtec.net/advertisers/Torco/index1.html

And what the military uses:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.p...d-for-us-drones&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

US unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) manufacturer General Atomics has prescribed South African lubricant oil for the MQ1 Predator and MQ9 Reaper.

uav-mq9-reaper_400x300.jpg

Torco says it did not at first know that it SR-5 lubricant was being exclusively used in the UAVs engines. Torco Managing Director Frank Barlow says the lubricant has been used in all Reaper and Predator UAV engines for over 12 years. “The … manufacturer tested oils from all over the world and found Torco oils to be the best protecting their drone engines in all types of weather and conditions – hot desserts, the cold climate of high altitudes and humid environments,” Barlow said.

“The manufacturer was purchasing the SR-5 products from the marketplace. Then they came to visit us some years later to confirm that Torco has a good quality control and the capacity to supply their expanding need of more SR-5 products. Now they are purchasing directly from Torco to open up a direct communication for their need. They also have been using Torco Engine Assembly Lube products to assemble the engines,” Balow added. “Both Torco SR-5 and Torco Engine Assembly Lube have been two of the most dependable products for the multi-million dollar drone. This is one of the real world tests that speak loudly about Torco products’ quality.”

sr5_banner.jpg

http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/sr-5.html

Has anyone else had any experience with Torco in either the NSX or other cars?

I run Pennzoil Ultra from Walmart for $26.50 for a 5 quart jug. It's the official oil that Ferrari uses. My 2 friends that have Ferrari's use it.

Prior to the Ultra I was using the Platinum version.

Before having the SOS SC installed Driving Ambition did a leak down test of the combustion chamber and said the health of my engine at 100k miles was more of an engine at 30k miles (using regular dino oil). Those results gave me the confidence to stick with Pennzoil since it's a super refined Group 3 dino oil that is defined under USA law as a synthetic.

Sure the Torco and Amsoil engine oils might be better, but I just don't see that it might be a large margin and worth the costs.

I been using Royal Purple Synthetic how does that compare to Pennzoil Ultra ?

I've heard nothing but bad news about RP from the Domestic guys. Mostly with regards to tranny and differential oils (clunking sounds, hard shifts, notchy, etc.)

For Group 4 & 5 synthetic oils the best brands appear to be:

Torco
Amsoil
Neo Oil

Group 3 best oil appears to be Pennzoil Ultra (which is higher than the Plantinum)

So based on that I suspect that the Ultra is right at the top.

img6.gif

Somebody should be sponsoring an annual oil test that compares the top 20 oils in a given weight and be done with it.

I've heard nothing but good things about Torco. Then again, I've heard nothing but good things about Redline Oil too (unless either are being trashed by another oil company). Who knows? I do think that Predator reference is a good indicator though.

Somebody should be sponsoring an annual oil test that compares the top 20 oils in a given weight and be done with it.

I've heard nothing but good things about Torco. Then again, I've heard nothing but good things about Redline Oil too (unless either are being trashed by another oil company). Who knows? I do think that Predator reference is a good indicator though.

I used to be all about Redline oil, but started to loose interest when I tried Amsoil, Torco for the drivetrain and experienced better results.

Redline for the RX7, GTO and NSX all made the tranny a bit more notchy.

I'm using Redline 10w40 oil and Motul in my OSG diff. Haven't gotten it back from SOS yet but looking forward to driving it again.

I think I'm going to try out AMSOIL in my diesel truck and maybe try Torco in our Yukon. When I do, I'll report back.

I asked someone who worked for a AMLS team about oil. We use whatever oil is stickered on the side of the car. :tongue:

The truth - use a sythethic, and change it often and I don't think one is going to be better than the other. If you were changing it at ridiculously long intervals then and only then do I think you may see any difference.

An opinion - use a sythethic, and change it often and I don't think one is going to be better than the other. If you were changing it at ridiculously long intervals then and only then do I think you may see any difference.

Fixed. ;) No offense, but there are quantifiable differences in the various oils and it's wise to optimize what you use with what's needed or for desired performance.

I asked someone who worked for a AMLS team about oil. We use whatever oil is stickered on the side of the car.....

I heard from a few people if the oil sponsor supplies an inferior oil that may cause them to loose a race and risk sponsor $$$ they will often drain the oil and pour in something like *cough* Neo Oil.

I been using Royal Purple Synthetic how does that compare to Pennzoil Ultra ?

I haven't tried Pennzoil but i'm using Royal Purple 5w-30. Don't notice a huge difference in motor, but tranny wise, it's slightly smoother.

But it is pricey, unless you opt for the 5gallon jug on Amazon.com.

Oil comparison threads are silly.

The USAF takes the lowest bidder. Torco was the lowest bidder. USAF uses Torco oil.

Oil comparison threads are silly.

The USAF takes the lowest bidder. Torco was the lowest bidder. USAF uses Torco oil.

"Torco says it did not at first know that it SR-5 lubricant was being exclusively used in the UAVs engines."

Based on the above quote how could u bid when u dun even know that it was being used?

http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/sr-5.html

The UAV also use LS2 engines. Lemme guess - lowest bidder too.

Try thinking about not failing a missing or having planes fall outta the sky from failure.

And Torco oil is one of the most expensive oil I've seen on the market.

"It's Torco, more than you can afford... Pal."

ff_quote_x.jpg

Last edited:
+2 Very true

The lowest bidder in this case was the engine bidder who happened to use Torco for whatever reason.

So perhaps ya'll should be telling me why I happen to sell the most expensive solution to the A&D that happens to be the most reliable and best performing?

Any of ya'll deal with the A&D?

What do you mean by solution and what is your definition of A&D?

I can't go into the nature of my products but can tell you this:

Aerospace & Defense.

My product is in the Martian Rover 45 million miles away, used in nuclear devices/weapons, missiles, jets, etc.

It's also used in pace-makers.

As u can see these are mission critical and/or life & death scenarios.

When I pitch to my audience that my products are 100% reliable that involves high dollar stakes they usually just write the check.

I do tell them that I'm the most expensive and to be prepared.

Just imagine your favorite Euro supercar that has superior reliability to a NSX that can be driven for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles with a peace of mind.

These days my decision makers in the procurement side realize that if they always go for the cheapest solution they may succumb to "get what u pay for" or "pay less and get less" results that can cause a catastrophic failure.

This in turn can cost lives and/or fail a mission.

And the end result can make that "lowest-bidder" end up on the streets looking for a job.

Of course once u fuck up like that in the A&D space u mine as well change to another vertical market that may be less stringent and/or has nothing like mil-spec requirements.

I used to be all bout Mobil 1 (in my Mr2 and Del sol Vtec) when I purchased my NSX I started with mobil 1 did about two oil changes until I switched to Amesoil and I'll never put anything else in my NSX. The change was easily noticed. I change my oil very strictly and often and still the extra cash I spend on the Amesoil is worth the peace of mind knowing it may save me lots of $$$$ down the road.

I may try Torco now though :) Top notch lubricants make a WORLD of difference in any applicaiton. Just my $0.02

I used to be all bout Mobil 1 (in my Mr2 and Del sol Vtec) when I purchased my NSX I started with mobil 1 did about two oil changes until I switched to Amesoil and I'll never put anything else in my NSX. The change was easily noticed. I change my oil very strictly and often and still the extra cash I spend on the Amesoil is worth the peace of mind knowing it may save me lots of $$$$ down the road.

I may try Torco now though :) Top notch lubricants make a WORLD of difference in any applicaiton. Just my $0.02

ever since I heard Mobil 1 changed to a lower grade oil base stock I lost interests altogether.

Last edited:
I can't go into the nature of my products but can tell you this:

Aerospace & Defense.

My product is in the Martian Rover 45 million miles away, used in nuclear devices/weapons, missiles, jets, etc.

It's also used in pace-makers.

As u can see these are mission critical and/or life & death scenarios.

When I pitch to my audience that my products are 100% reliable that involves high dollar stakes they usually just write the check.

I do tell them that I'm the most expensive and to be prepared.

Just imagine your favorite Euro supercar that has superior reliability to a NSX that can be driven for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles with a peace of mind.

These days my decision makers in the procurement side realize that if they always go for the cheapest solution they may succumb to "get what u pay for" or "pay less and get less" results that can cause a catastrophic failure.

This in turn can cost lives and/or fail a mission.

And the end result can make that "lowest-bidder" end up on the streets looking for a job.

Of course once u fuck up like that in the A&D space u mine as well change to another vertical market that may be less stringent and/or has nothing like mil-spec requirements.

damn, now you have my salivary glands all juicy.. you make it sound so.. TOP SECRET.. can we play the guessing game? ;) j/k

+2 Very true

The lowest bidder in this case was the engine bidder who happened to use Torco for whatever reason.

This.

OP is thinking too hard about this. It's a UAV, (RPA is the new term), and there are several of them now, but the Predator has a Rotax engine and the Reaper has a turboprop...so idk where the LS2 fits into this.

Interesting to note is that these are UNMANNED. The USAF will spend the money on safety and longevity when there are people on board. For instance, the aircraft we fly cost roughly $6M to produce. About $1.5M of that goes to the Martin Baker ejection seats I sit on daily solely for the purpose of escaping the aircraft and giving it back to the taxpayers should the need arise. I'm pretty sure we use Aeroshell too.

The mission is never micromanaged down to making a decision and splitting hairs on what kind of oil to use. If an engine supplier uses a certain oil for their preference, USAF doesn't care.

Back