• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tough time latching cover to targa

Seriously, am I the only fool who can't figure this out? Most of my of new-owner issues were resolved with prime searches. Please direct me if this has already been discussed.

I've had my '02 targa for 6 mo now. Love it. I've had the top off probably a 1/2 dozen times.

Every time I go to store it in the compartment above the engine, I seem to have A-LOT of difficulty shutting the felt cover. I've tried all kinds of things to nudge it into the most forward position. It also seems like bare metal parts of the latch mechanism is interfacing with the paint of the targa top - is that supposed to happen? I'm literally hunched over from the side of the car trying to apply downward pressure to the rear center of the lid - i'll hear / feel it attempt click and it just kinda bounces back at me. it takes me quite a few attempts to get it to latch.

is there something i'm missing?

is your roof sliding forward to fit into the grooves....

Are you keeping the levers on the side of the top in the "open" position? That's how it fits.

wow that would be hard to do in a single person operation...lock the pins in the extended position prior to storing the top.

are you talking about the engine glass closeing after the targa is in the holder? if so then you may need to adjust the engine cover closer to the firewall. bolts unscrew from vibration over time they may be loose

the whole thing has been a bit strange...but i figure it was just more of the same nsx peculiarities...i.e. dropping the hood, extra centered pressure to close the rear glass / trunk.

side latches are definitely in the open position as it's way off in the locked position. i've tried time and time again to shift it around and get the best alignment / have it as forward as possible relative to the tray. wtf..."latches on it's own"? mine definitely doesn't do that! again, talking about just the tray that holds the targa and closing the felt cover - not the glass.

is your roof sliding forward to fit into the grooves....
i agree with this,you're probably not getting the roof all the way into the space.once it slides all the way in,the felt cover lowers easily in place and latches with a gentle push.try picking up the rear edge of the roof and sliding the front edge gently forward-it goes kind of down and in farther than before,then you lower the rear.

also,you know you reverse the position of the roof before stowing it,so the curved part that faces the front of the car when the roof's in is now rear facing?not trying to insult your intelligence,but always good to check the basics

Last edited:
Do not fear, you are not alone in this situation, i have the same problem with my 95. Its like it chooses when it wants to latch or not...

i agree with this,you're probably not getting the roof all the way into the space.once it slides all the way in,the felt cover lowers easily in place and latches with a gentle push.try picking up the rear edge of the roof and sliding the front edge gently forward-it goes kind of down and in farther than before,then you lower the rear.

also,you know you reverse the position of the roof before stowing it,so the curved part that faces the front of the car when the roof's in is now rear facing?not trying to insult your intelligence,but always good to check the basics

I will try this...the 1st part. (Come on, I bought an NSX - that's gotta count for some IQ credits.) If I can't get it to work, you get a video of me fumbling around with it.

Back