• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

True GT-R performance coming to light?

TC

Experienced Member
The speculation here on NSXprime and elsewhere that the performance stats of the GT-R just don't add up and that Nissan may have been using a car with extra boost and HP may be true. In the August Car and Driver, a production GT-R was pitted against a Z06, GT2 and Viper ACR. Here are a few stats:

Z06: 0-100: 8.3 sec 0-150: 17.9 sec
ACR: 0-100: 7.7 sec 0-150: 17.5 sec
GT2: 0-100: 8.1 sec 0-150: 18.0 sec

GT-R: 0-100: 10.2 sec 0-150: 26.6 sec

The power-to-weight ratio stats for these cars seem to be totally in sync with the performance specs:

Z06: 6.3 lb/HP
ACR: 5.7 lb/HP
GT2: 6.2 lb/HP

GT-R: 8.2 lb/HP

IMO, previous tests of the GT-R had to be with a car that was making WAY more than the rated 480 HP. It will be interesting to see additional tests of production GT-R cars and it see if anyone can come close to duplicating the Ring time of the pre-production GT-R.

thats always caught me off guard how a 3800 pound car with 480 hp or whatever the gtr is rated at, can stomp on a 3100 pound 505 hp zo6 so hard.

i wouldnt be suprised if it ends up that the test cars were all souped up, but that would be really shady and damage nissans rep forever when the actual cars hit the streets.

maybe nissan should give me a gtr for free and i can report back to you guys with my findings:cool:

Instead of all the other tests being bogus, why is it so hard to believe that perhaps THIS test had a lemon car?

Every single magazine test I've seen has the GT-R putting down some good #'s.

As soon as one comes out that doesn't, everyone starts pointing the "I told you so" finger.

It seems that all the GT-R's dynoed are making a bit more than 480hp, that's really no secrete....and they've also stated that it gets thru the 1/4 mile so fast do to really low gearing and ultra fast shifts. On a roll or other tests it may not do so well. On a track, its advanced computer system and suspension return amazing times.

Instead of all the other tests being bogus, why is it so hard to believe that perhaps THIS test had a lemon car?

Every single magazine test I've seen has the GT-R putting down some good #'s.

As soon as one comes out that doesn't, everyone starts pointing the "I told you so" finger.

It seems that all the GT-R's dynoed are making a bit more than 480hp, that's really no secrete....and they've also stated that it gets thru the 1/4 mile so fast do to really low gearing and ultra fast shifts. On a roll or other tests it may not do so well. On a track, its advanced computer system and suspension return amazing times.
x2

The GT-R also DID beat said 505hp, 3100lb Vette around the track. And the acceleration results for the other cars were slightly slower than average too (GT2 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 mile in 11.8 @ 121, Motor Trend got 3.4 and 11.4 sec @ 127.9. Z06 was 3.8 and 11.9 @ 124, Motor Trend 3.5 and 11.5 sec @ 127).

Last edited:
x2

The GT-R also DID beat said 505hp, 3100lb Vette around the track. And the acceleration results for the other cars were slightly slower than average too (GT2 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 mile in 11.8 @ 121, Motor Trend got 3.4 and 11.4 sec @ 127.9. Z06 was 3.8 and 11.9 @ 124, Motor Trend 3.5 and 11.5 sec @ 127).

Yes, the GT-R was quicker around the track than the Z06, by 0.6 sec. That is fine - suspension, handling and steering play heavily in lap times around a road couse. But 0-150 is basically a pure matter of power-to-weight and here the GT-R placed exactly where it should have based its much lower lb-HP ratio.

Regarding variances in 0-60 and 1/4-mile times, you are pointing out a matter of a few tenths. The GT-R was off of its previous 0-150 time by several seconds.

It will be very interesting to see if this was a lemon or it the car provided by Nissan to all of the testing magazines earlier this year was a ringer. My bet is on the later.

TC;1027807 It will be very interesting to see if this was a lemon or it the car provided by Nissan to all of the testing magazines earlier this year was a ringer. My bet is on the later.[/QUOTE said:
All the car magazines tested the same car?

i wouldnt be suprised if it ends up that the test cars were all souped up, but that would be really shady and damage nissans rep forever when the actual cars hit the streets.

damage nissan's rep? how?? they already deny people services covered under warranty (including fn recalls) on a national basis :mad:

oh, one other thing..... LAST GEN ALTIMA.... friggen pos

You are really Naive if you think that manufacturers don't send ringers to magazines for testing. Hell even Honda did it with the C&D NSX. Does anyone remember the first MKIV 1993 turbo supra C&D tested? If you didn't see that, it too was clearly a ringer and was actually verified later.

Its pretty easy to reprogram an ECU on a turbocharged car and make a test car run faster.

The GT-R is still a very fast car, probably not as fast as some of the numbers we have seen. You need not worry however a few aftermarket mods on that think will launch it into orbit.

with its launch control and AWD the GT-R does kick a$$ against the others but as shown in videos above 100mph the others start catching(drivetrain loss%???) . All the Gt-Rs in my understanding are underated from the factory which will also explain how fast it is.

When someone shows a video of a GT-r from the show room CLEARLY loosing to a Z06 or other car then i will raise an eyebrow.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qreQwTeaVWY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qreQwTeaVWY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ok, since these are magazine test cars, they all sent "ringers"...guess Nissan just sent the faster one.

Last edited:
LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qreQwTeaVWY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qreQwTeaVWY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Cool video. Great test idea although some of it was LOL-worthy. Overall, pretty neat test.

That road course looks like Decker Canyon, which is a favorite of mine and other locals, a truly grueling test for any chassis. Comparing it to the little track at Willow, the canyon is more difficult due to the number of sharp turns, possibility of oncoming traffic and number of off camber switch backs. Nissan is better at tuning their cars to the laws of physics than lighter or more powerful cars from other manufacturers. When you set out to be the best, it's possible to succeed but there will always be naysayers for any vehicle.

Also, as stated in the owners manual, warranty is void if launch control is activated and something breaks. Mitsu owners will be familiar with this kind of treatment. The car actually tracks when launch mode is used so they can verify failure codes to determine eligibility. Sneaky, and the GT-R loses .6 or .7 seconds in a straight line sprint without it.

Last edited:
Back