• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Value of a '91 that was never driven JH4NA1158MT000897

Re: Value of a '91 that was never driven

What I don't understand is why someone bought it 20 years ago and is listing it for sale now, in the worst economy we all remember. This is not the time to sell a piece of furniture for $100k.

hmmmm.....better start driving my car in reverse. Only 67,xxxx miles to take off.

The other reason I would not put it on BJ - there is no reserve - and if you put this car in a no reserve auction you could get burned bad. I watch all kinds of auctions and no reserve on a car like this would scare me silly. Not no but HELL NO! That works only sometimes. I've seen a lot of dissappointed faces after the hammer dropped at BJ. No sir - not my 20 year old perfect NSX!

Plant a mule bidder to protect your interest. Happens all the time.

Does Jay Leno have an NSX? Oh wait, nevermind. He actually drives his cars:)

I hate to see cars like this going to a museum. Of course, the next owner can do whatever he wants. But letting it sit is not my cup of tea.

First of all: in 40 years, I'm statistically dead. Not driving it would be equivalent to getting married to an highly attractive woman and signing a contract with her to have not even a kiss or an embrace in the next 40 years (no offense). :D Second, as soon as I'll be looking at the radisches from one feet below the ground I won't hear the speculation of what the car is going to be with the next owner.
Garage queens are like the modern form of self-communism: In the communism countries before perestroika, you could look in the window what you could NOT buy. It's called 'the dog and the sausage'-play, very funny. :D

A car that has been well driven is much more attractive than a car that has seen the daylight 20 years ago and didn't see VTEC even one time IMHO. :) An NSX is a Honda, not a Ferrari-poser-car. :wink:

Just my 0.02.

This thread is funny...

We have everything from "about KBB" (LOL) to "$200k at auction"

My guess is that the true value lies somewhere in between :D

As for these bizarre "ethical" debates (complete with super stretch analogies and philosophical musings on the meaning of life) over whether cars are "meant" to be driven, my thinking is this...

This is ONE car. Its kind of nice to have perfect examples of a classic of anything preserved in a museum so down the road people can see what it was. I know many people tend to feel there is a big rulebook in the sky somewhere that says "yes, whatever YOU think is the way IS the way my son!" ;), but in reality, there are plenty of NSXs getting driven to death. ONE kept pristine isnt going to break the balance of the universe.

Also, re: Ferraris, or sports cars in general, for MANY... these are THIRD or FOURTH cars. Especially a Ferrari. I neither need nor want an exotic or semi-exotic sportscar to be a daily driver - be it a Honda or Lambo. One could make the argument that keeping the car as a weekend only "garage queen" is actually *more* correct than driving it on a commuting slog to the office garage where it gets parked next to a Durango. It's just a question of where one's extremist view lies :D

For ME, whats "correct" is whatever the guy who signed the check for it wants to do with it :)

Last edited:

Off topic, but does anyone know the vin for the first NSX brought into the country?

If I had a big enough house to keep it and money to spare I would pay up to $100 000 for a car like this. I don't think that even Honda has one that is compleatly mint.

The person inquiring should contact Honda, see what they'll offer, & sell it to them for posterity. :)

Man I can't imagine what that gas smells like after 20 years. If the gas is original, tank/pump assm. would be on the 1st to replace list.

Let's say you bought it. Could you drive it. I would be too scared or feel too guilty to.

Yes, I could drive it. For someone like me that was only 15 years old when the car came out in 1991, this would be re-living an experience I would have liked to have had. Buying a first year NSX new. But I am crazy, so that should not be used as a guideline. :cool:

~ Mitch ~

I would like to present another side to this old aged dilema...

How much would a 91 NSX with zero mile on her, but a kaput motor be worth?!

I had to face this dilema a while back when I was about to buy a 91 NSX with only 5K miles to her. It would have been a done deal, but seller refuse to let me do a PPI on her.

Warmest regards,

Last edited:

I agree with BrianK, not a penny over 30K should be spent on this aquisition...

Ella'sDaddy

what did the guy say why he wouldnt let you get a PPI done on it?

I can't stand parked cars, someone needs to get in it and drive it like they stole it. You only live once...its like someone else said, having a smoking hot GF/wife and not be and banging, just sitting and drooling and fantasizing...let's give that odometer a spin!

Ella'sDaddy

what did the guy say why he wouldnt let you get a PPI done on it?

Hey Shawn,

He said he was worry that something may happen on the way to the shop, i.e. an accident, then he's out of a pristine car!!

I had agree to the price and was about to wire the money when my accountant recommended against the buy without the PPI.

Hey Shawn,

He said he was worry that something may happen on the way to the shop, i.e. an accident, then he's out of a pristine car!!

I had agree to the price and was about to wire the money when my accountant recommended against the buy without the PPI.

I'd have to say that your banker was right. Without a ppi on a car like that - I'd have to pass too. The guys answer is pretty silly cause it did have miles on it - the guy must have been afraid to drive it at all. Another paranoid idget.

A couple of things, for starters without knowing all the details who knows what its worth. We all know its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Pretty obvious but true. All NSX's came with miles already on them, anywhere from 25-50 from the factory. Unlike other new Acura cars, they were all track tested prior to Transport. So who knows how many miles are even on this one.

Honda already has an NSX in the their collection, and they arent really big into heritage as other car companies. I've seen alot of companies has awesome collections, most even open to the public. :frown:

Id peg this car as a $75k ride. The car cant be driven, and is only really something to look at. Would be cool amist an entire lineup of other cool NSX's.

Same story from the Miami 91' w/ 2974 mile owner... wouldnt even allow a flatbed to the PPI. whatever...

Personally - IMHO the car is a disaster(if it has original fluids still in it). I would prefer a car that has been driven regularly. It needs some serious work to be driveable. I would pay less for it than a 1991 with 50K miles on it!

NSXluvr makes some good points but really untill we get real info on the car it is kind of hard to peg it. I would doubt that anyone would have a car like that with original fluids but I bought an 87 911 Turbo Look Cabrio with 12,500 miles on it. It had very little maintenance done and obviously hardly any road time. The car had oil changes but only about 3 and it had 2 brake flushes - that's it - had never had the valves adjusted. It had the original tires on it!!! I drove that car from Dayton to Atlanta on those old flat spotted tires - albeit slowly. I made it and immediately took it to have it gone thru. Had a lot done - but surprisingly there wasn't that much wrong with it - just the basics like plugs, valve adj., dist.cap, didn't even need wires, oil and brakes flushed, nothing much really.. When the valves were adjusted the engine sounded perfect - PERFECT and it ran well and the more I drove it the better it felt. The brakes were a little bit different story - you could here the pistons pop out in the morning upon first applying the brakes but really all that was needed was a little emory cloth around the pistons to bust the rusty ridge off so they would work properly.

Point I'm trying to make is that this car that has sat for so long may not be in any real trouble. I've been reading Excellence magazine for a very long time now and have a general feel for cars that are discovered in collections that haven't moved in years. The new owners that are lucky enough to have not only found the car but to have been the successful bidder - cause many times there are others on the "trail" have not so much to do. Flushing things etc and maybe replacing a gas tank and some other obvious things but in the end they have a perfectly preserved time machine - now I don't know about the rest of you but what I'm referring to are 40 year old cars not 20 year old cars and if our NSXs had the same provinance as the old 911s this car would be gone by now. BIG DIFFERENCE but similar. So to sit back and make statements like the one above based on some theoretical hypothesis is kind of bogus.

If in 20 more years this same car was found it would be worth a lot more and it would still, if kept in the right air conditioned environment, be plenty "doable" for a serious collector. I submit to you folks here on prime not to make a mountain out of a mole hill on a car like this. They don't come along that often. I believe the car is worth plenty personally, oh and surely worth more than a 91 with 50k miiles on it "properly maintained". Let me see now - how many 91s with 50k miles on them that were truly maintained properly and all up to snuff on maintenance have you boys/girls seen in the last 2 years now - If you ask me and my experience albeit only about 2 years old - would say you could have counted them on ONE HAND! Now how many "almost no milers" have you seen in that same time that were about 20 years old - how bout maybe this one and one other??? So you tell me this one is only worth 33k ..... mmmmm.... don't think that would even sniff this one and in my opinion it shouldn't sniff it either. If I owned it you know what I'd say to an offer like that.....:wink: No offense meant - we all have our opinions.

Indeed Tim none of us are buyers of this car...unless the owner wants to deal..if not he needs to advertise where ever the chunked up big dogs with large collection browse.i would think anyone who collects significant cars based on country of origin and includes Japan would have to have a car like this,just like a toyota 2000.

Hey guys,

I am glad to see that my NSX has caused a bit of a stir on here. I appreciate both sides of the debate. Of course we would love to be driving her every day, but at the same time, there are thousands of NSX's out there that one could buy if they wanted to drive an NSX. I think its great that there is at least one original NSX that is still essentially a new car. It has never even been titled.

I have been speaking to a couple museums who seem to be interested as well as a few car collectors. It remains to be seen how much the right person is willing to pay for this truly unique automobile.

Thanks for the advice in regard to the different avenues we can pursue. I am not sure that I could stomach putting her up for a no-reserve auction even though BJ's might be the best way to get top dollar. I will be putting an ad in duPont and Hemmings this week as well.

Last edited:

Hey guys,

I am glad to see that my NSX has caused a bit of a stir on here. I appreciate both sides of the debate. Of course we would love to be driving her every day, but at the same time, there are thousands of NSX's out there that one could buy if they wanted to drive an NSX. I think its great that there is at least one original NSX that is still essentially a new car. It has never even been titled.

I have been speaking to a couple museums who seem to be interested as well as a few car collectors. It remains to be seen how much the right person is willing to pay for this truly unique automobile.

Thanks for the advice in regard to the different avenues we can pursue. I am not sure that I could stomach putting her up for a no-reserve auction even though BJ's might be the best way to get top dollar. I will be putting an ad in duPont and Hemmings this week as well.

WOW. Amazing is the word. Please share with us the history of this NSX. As I understand it your father owned this car? How is it that the car has never been titled? Was he a dealer? More details please.

I guess the fortunate/unfortunate aspect of this NSX is that it's intrinsic value is the fact that it has basically never been driven (beyond the track miles that Honda put on the car after production). Any additional miles put on the car would diminish it's value.

I agree that it is indeed terrific that at least one of these brand new, first year NSX's does exist. Good luck and I trust this particular NSX will find it's way to a new owner who truly appreciates it.

Might I ask in what part of the country does this car reside??

Back