• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vibration under 2k rpm....

I notice vibration when im in 1st and reverse gear in my nsx under 2k rpm. Sometimes it'll shake/vibrate more or less depending on how you balance the clutch and the throttle. I noticed this when i bought my car about a week ago. I figured it was the clutch since it was going out. However, after replacing the clutch less than a week ago i still feel vibration when i balance the clutch and throttle. It shakes and vibrates more when im going up hills and drive ways from a stand still. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! =)

I will save you a lot of searching. It is normal. My car when first started vibrates pretty roughly for 15 sec or so, then the rpm drops and its much smoother. When you just freely rev it it probably feels shakey between i would say 1300 rpm and 1900 rpm, hold it past 2k and it is smooth right. Some times it might crank over and over, but from talking to 2 other owners who have an 02 like me (dont know what you have), they have similar results. Rough idel on start for a few seconds, even in the car it vibrates a little just idleing. The car feels like you will stall it going up hill becaue the clutch is working harder imo. I cant say why it shakes more up hill but I can say mine is the same. Hope this all helps

Re: Weird vibration....

That is called clutch shudder. Was the flywheel and pressure plate replaced as well or just the clutch disc itself? If everything was replaced and there weren't any leaks I would suspect it is driver induced shudder.

Here are some possible causes listed at another site:

Clutch disc contaminated A contaminated clutch disc can cause the clutch to grab, shudder, or even slip. Check for oil and coolant leaks around the back of the engine. Look for signs of oil or coolant coming out of the bottom of the clutch housing.

Driver induced shudder. Sometimes the way a car is driven can cause the clutch to be grabby or induce the shudder. There are basically two different types of drivers with regards to clutch operation. Those who feather the clutch and those who jab the clutch. Those who jab the clutch get on and off the clutch pedal very quickly when changing gears. Over time, this will tend the make the clutch grabby. Someone who feathers the clutch engages and disengages the clutch slowly. So, if you're one who normally feathers the clutch and you get in a car that's normally driven by someone who jabs the clutch, you'll likely notice a shudder when you engage the clutch. The advantage to gettting on and off the clutch quickly is that it normally extends the life of the clutch by reducing the amount of wear.

Warped pressure plate or flywheel.

Worn splines on clutch disc.

Re: Weird vibration....

Yea everything was changed. I think you're rights, its driver induced cuz the old owner would always jab the clutch and i tend to feather it. Thanks for posting. I appreciate it! -David.

what clutch did you install? The OEM twin plate clutch will have a certain amount of shudder...

Yea its the OEM twin clutch w/ flywheel and bearings from the acura dealership.

so is it only when u are shifting?

Try changing your driving style... instead of letting it slip too much let it all the way out quicker - this will reduce the shuddering.

Just had mine replaced - you gotta drive it a couple of weeks to break it in. It will shudder a lot when you first have it replaced. A couple of weeks or so - depending on how much you drive it - will smooth it out considerably. Trick is to rev up the engine before you start letting it out and then ease it out. On a hill or incline in a drive way you might have to rev it up, let it out a bit and feather it but getting it out is better than riding it. You can't ride one - not in these cars. It's kind of hard to explain. But it will get better as it's broken in. When I shift out of 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 - you can hardly feel it. Develop that technique and your clutch will last a long time.

Back