• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I do to make my NSX "GROWL" more? :)

Umm here is my car with 5.1 and dali test pipes.. not loud enough?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRx7UsMG8Xo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRx7UsMG8Xo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Umm here is my car with 5.1 and dali test pipes.. not loud enough?

I don't think he is going for more "loud". The original post asked for ways to get a more "throaty" sound, so Rick is looking more for a deeper tone rather than higher volume.

Rick- it's just a matter of time before you do headers and hiflo cats anyways(to get more growl and ponies). The GT 5.1 has been dynoed to actually lose hp despite everyone raving about its design and sound (which no one will even see or hear). Anyways it's also too quiet for me...throw on some test pipes (cheap $150) and decide if you can live with the new sound and smell.

PS) the neighbors will envy you even more

sorry to be off topic, but I cant find anything regarding the GT 5.1 lose power on the dyno. I would guess the way it sounds, its more free flowing there would be a slight power gain but not a loss.

I am a little concerned since I just ordered a 5.1

sorry to be off topic, but I cant find anything regarding the GT 5.1 lose power on the dyno. I would guess the way it sounds, its more free flowing there would be a slight power gain but not a loss.

I'm not sure what he is talking about. :confused: I have the GT-One headers/exhaust with Random Tech cats, and I noticed exceptional power gains along with one-hell-of an exhaust note! :smile:

We did an exhaust dyno comparison at Driving Ambition last year, between a v5.1 Ti and a GTLW on a SC'd 03. The v5.1 was down about 2-3 WHP above 7500 RPM. But I didn't mind the slightly lower power cause it sounds soooo darn nice. :D

We did an exhaust dyno comparison at Driving Ambition last year, between a v5.1 Ti and a GTLW on a SC'd 03. The v5.1 was down about 2-3 WHP above 7500 RPM. But I didn't mind the slightly lower power cause it sounds soooo darn nice. :D

ok, that make its clearer, you are comparing the Ti 5.1 vs GTLW.
what a relief, I thought there was a power loss compared to stock.

I feel much better now. thanks

looking forward in getting my SS 5.1. only 3 months to go.

I had a chance to pick up a GT 5.1 but passed once Shad @ Driving Ambition told me it made less hp which the NSX is already lacking. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful sounding & looking exhaust indeed, but how can it be free flowing when it's bent like a pretzel?

I had a chance to pick up a GT 5.1 but passed once Shad @ Driving Ambition told me it made less hp which the NSX is already lacking. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful sounding & looking exhaust indeed, but how can it be free flowing when it's bent like a pretzel?

I think you are misrepresenting and/or over stating the facts. True, the v.51 isn't quite as free flowing as a CT or GTLW exhaust. But on a SC'd car, it's only down 0.5 to 1 WHP from 3500-4500 RPM, 1-2 WHP from 4500-6000 WHP, 2-3 from 6000 to 7500 RPM and 3-4 from 7500-8000 RPM --- as per Shad @ Driving Ambition's dyno. You are not going to notice this on the street. And if you want to track your car, pick up a CT exhaust and throw it on for track day.

IMHO, it is by far the best sounding exhaust available for the NSX... PERIOD!!!

Last edited:
how can it be free flowing when it's bent like a pretzel?

I don't think you are understanding the way the system works. You are just looking at all the pipes and making that assumption. IF you follow the way the exhaust actually exits, you will see it is on par for flow with anything else out there. It is still a substantial gain over stock, and I would take the "down 2-3 HP from Comptech" with a grain of salt. This is on a SC'ed car, and they will tend to drop a couple of HP after every dyno run because of heat soak. The system is not intercooled. Also, you can run the SAME exact car with the same exact exhuast on the dyno 3 times, and I can guarantee you will get 3 different #'s. How can you be sure that it is the exhaust? I am not sure how that dyno test was done, how many runs were performed, how long the car was allowed to cool, how the #'s were averaged out. But I would definitely need more info before I decide the 5.1 makes less HP than brand X.

Its crazy on this forum you can say the smallest thing and 6 months from now 3 guys will pop up and state it as if it is such fact. We just went from some unsubstantiated dyno test done under conditions no one other than Shad or perhaps NSX-Tuner knows about, to "the 5.1 loses HP on the dyno". Next thing you know guys are thinking their stock exhaust is better than the 5.1.

Last edited:
I expected all of the 5.1 owners to respond & defend their exhaust:smile:

Exhaust sound is very subjective for each individual owner. Over the years, I've tried all types of exhaust designs & materials. I listen & talk to different tuners.
The OP wanted a deeper growl (not louder) which his 5.1 failed to produce (along with less hp). It just raises more questions. But again, if I spent $3K on my exhaust - I'd be praising it all day long as well.

I expected all of the 5.1 owners to respond & defend their exhaust:smile:

Exhaust sound is very subjective for each individual owner. Over the years, I've tried all types of exhaust designs & materials. I listen & talk to different tuners.
The OP wanted a deeper growl (not louder) which his 5.1 failed to produce (along with less hp). It just raises more questions. But again, if I spent $3K on my exhaust - I'd be praising it all day long as well.

You are correct... exhaust sound is a very subjective thing... to some, the v5.1 exhaust note may not be to their liking, but to other's it's pure heaven... :D And yes, v5.1 owners may get a bit defensive at times when their exhaust comes under scrutiny... guilty :D

On thing s4play didn't mention. His SS v5.1 was modified. The exhaust tips were replaced with singles. This may have altered the exhaust note substantially.

Rick - you still messing around with more mods for this thing! Dont mess it up man:wink:

On thing s4play didn't mention. His SS v5.1 was modified. The exhaust tips were replaced with singles. This may have altered the exhaust note substantially.

This is my old car, so just to clarify, when i ordered the 5.1 from Henry, i specifically wanted the single-tip configuration only. The single-tip is an OPTION on the 5.1 and just a bit more $ than the regular dual tips on each side. The above makes it seem that the tips were just "replaced" by a shop or something. Either way, not sure the tips would make that much of a diff (single/dual) wrt sound.

Well I have a 04 nsx and it's pretty much stock except for the GT ROM 5.1 stainless exhaust on there.

I'm not looking to wake the neighbors or NOT be able to pass SMOG. I'm looking for something that will give the car a throatier sound at WOT but once I'm cruising the sound goes away. Ideas?

Would a high quality Intake system help? I would love to replace the headers but it's out of my budget and I really don't want to touch the engine too much. Looking for bolt on mods only.

rk

If you can find this package

1 Taitec JGTC parallel or center exhaust
2 Taitec JGTC headers.

This exhaust is the closest replication of a V8 high reving sound from a v6.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5120380693159206/nsx_exhaust/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aonDGNjAw68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoTZAZ1L9pM&feature=related

The OP wanted a deeper growl (not louder) which his 5.1 failed to produce (along with less hp). It just raises more questions.

Sherlock_Holmes1.jpg

Indeed Watson, this does raise some very interesting questions.... I have a hunch that the 5.1 produces less power!! We shall post on prime as if it is fact, and when the perpetrators stand up and try to defend their exhaust in vain, we shall bring this conspiracy to light!!! It's elementary my dear!!!

Last edited:
Remove the stock snorkel--you don't have to replace it with anything.

This made the intake noise noticeably deeper and a little louder right away. Over time however, I have become used to it. But I remember doing back-to-back tests (on/off) and there was a difference.

I made a post a while back explaining why they have it there in the first place. It is to deaden the sound of the intake. It's called a helmholtz resonator.

Simple job:

Remove the driver's side wheel.

Remove the fender lining. I believe you push in the middle of the tab until it pops out.

Undo the bolts to the snorkel.

remove snorkel.

Replace lining.

replace wheel.

It's great because you actually get a difference in sound without having to buy or replace anything.

DF AIS + CT Intake + Uni makes a nice intake growl that I think you'll really like.

Each component you add ads to the stock sound, and vice versa. Eg I had all the above, and the sound was very nice, but I took out the box + Uni and have only the stock box.

Still sounds throatier than stock, but not as much with the other two components.

Rick,

All you need is a CTS to bolt on and it will help with the sound or a less expensive option is a "testpipe".

I am going to slap on the testpipe when I am done with smog-checking mine.
My set-up will be CT header+testpipe+tubi exhaust

I had heard NSX-Turner's car exhaust note. It sounds awesome!!!
His set up is CTS+GTone 5.1 titaninum exhaust.

Nat

Remove the stock snorkel--you don't have to replace it with anything.

This made the intake noise noticeably deeper and a little louder right away. Over time however, I have become used to it. But I remember doing back-to-back tests (on/off) and there was a difference.

I made a post a while back explaining why they have it there in the first place. It is to deaden the sound of the intake. It's called a helmholtz resonator.

Simple job:

Remove the driver's side wheel.

Remove the fender lining. I believe you push in the middle of the tab until it pops out.

Undo the bolts to the snorkel.

remove snorkel.

Replace lining.

replace wheel.

It's great because you actually get a difference in sound without having to buy or replace anything.

Even less of a reason to get the AIS since all it does is make the whoosh noise. :rolleyes:

Rick - you still messing around with more mods for this thing! Dont mess it up man:wink:
This is my old car, so just to clarify, when i ordered the 5.1 from Henry, i specifically wanted the single-tip configuration only. The single-tip is an OPTION on the 5.1 and just a bit more $ than the regular dual tips on each side. The above makes it seem that the tips were just "replaced" by a shop or something. Either way, not sure the tips would make that much of a diff (single/dual) wrt sound.

hey Paul, what's up! :) Yes this is what I told NSX-Tuner at our last meet that the exhaust tips COMES like that special order. I love the single-tip more as it looks much more aggressive on a NSX. The dual tip looks better on AMG cars but not the NSX IMO.....but I agree, tips in this case will NOT affect the exhaust sound.

camar: I heard NSX-Tuner's car that night as we were rolling to our meet location and his car is definitely loud but "racy". Love the sound but not interested in a supercharger. He told me inside his car is quiet but when we were driving together windows down, I could not even hear my exhaust over his and we were in lanes 1 and 3 (one lane apart). I'm not interested in adding a CTSC as I do not want to molest the stock motor in anyway. (I have my s2000 with the CTSC to play with on those occasions)

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Appreciate the PM's from a few of you as well on what to do. I will most likely just try KSXNSX's idea since it's free and easily put back to stock if I don't like it. I have to remove the wheels anyways tonight to test some new wheel fitments.

Guys, I absolutely LOVE my GTrom 5.1 exhaust so not touching a great thing that I already have. I just want a bit more "throatiness" on throttle but certainly not loud and annoying. I'm too old for those noise makers....haha

ICEE: I will try to check out your car next time we see each other!

rk

Back