• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

Haha, glad that this thread is still going! Very interesting to see all the prices and the circumstances of the purchase :)

I was driving home from work and there's a red first gen NSX that I see all the time in the airfield that I work at. I was driving right behind him from work and he rolled down his window to talk when we were stopped at the light (I was driving my RHD Subaru). I said, "Hey man, I want one of those..." and he goes, "Well, I want yours! I'm actually selling this baby you know..."

So he's asking $20k. Unsure of the condition, mileage, etc. but appears to be bone stock and decent body. It's his DD since I see it parked out there all the time and I try to park next to him when I'm over by that hanger. We both said that we'll meet up one time and talk about it.

Here's a picture of his and my car one day when I was walking out:
10258724_612750075476033_3989582901299590860_n_zps1a43fc9f.jpg

Oh, what the hell.
'91, 47K mi. on the odo, maintenance good ... in 2007 I paid 19K.
Don't believe me, ask DavidF.

Wow, 91 with 47k for $19k, you easily double your investment if you sell today. Nicely done

Worth of an nsx is relative...forgot to add to mention if maintenance was done and if there were any defects on the cars

Last edited:
Wow, 91 with 47k for $19k, you easily double your investment if you sell today. Nicely done

Thanks. All I had to do was pester my dermatologist for about 15 years. He was (is) a very busy man ... one phone call and his used car problem was gone.

Unless ur me. I think NSX prices in one of the most expensive part of the world do depreciate more. ;)

World Record lowest price to mileage ratio NSX - bought in 2007 for $24k with 35k miles

Mr. BATMANs, It may be time to revisit your sig file. I'm thinking gdae has you beat regarding your purchase metric. :) To many, 35k miles isn't that much different than 47k miles, and $19k is awfully impressive! But boasting about the lowest price-to-mileage ratio may not be the best metric. ProOnThaSnow has you beat with a ratio of 0.16 by spending $23.5k for a 143k mile car, vs. your ratio of 0.59. Had he bought his a year or two later than he did, he'd probably have an even lower ratio. Higher miles makes the ratio go down quickly... Because smaller numbers are better for both miles & price, maybe adding the two together is a better metric to consider. Also muliplying the two together would be good, for added confidence with an additional metric, kind of like an ironman race or decathalon.

$24k + 35k = 59k or 24*35=840,000 for you. gdae's adds up to $19k + 47k = 66k and multiplies to 19*47=893,000. So you're still the world record holder after all!!! Wait, Mark G was really close, sliding in with $32.5k + 26k = 58.5k but also 32.5*26=845,000...you'd have to be nice to the judges and hope they side with you!

Unless you are buying a car with fully documented service history I wouldn't boast about how good of a deal you got. Deferred maintenance will certainly cost you more in the long run.
The better deal is getting a car with fully documented service history and no deferred maintenance for low to mid $30k's for an early model year.
Having a "current" timing belt service is based on time and not just mileage. A prudent prospective buyer should always pay attention to the details...most advertisments disclose the mileage for service but not the date...pay close attention to that.

Last edited:
Mr. BATMANs, It may be time to revisit your sig file. I'm thinking gdae has you beat regarding your purchase metric. :) To many, 35k miles isn't that much different than 47k miles, and $19k is awfully impressive! But boasting about the lowest price-to-mileage ratio may not be the best metric. ProOnThaSnow has you beat with a ratio of 0.16 by spending $23.5k for a 143k mile car, vs. your ratio of 0.59. Had he bought his a year or two later than he did, he'd probably have an even lower ratio. Higher miles makes the ratio go down quickly... Because smaller numbers are better for both miles & price, maybe adding the two together is a better metric to consider. Also muliplying the two together would be good, for added confidence with an additional metric, kind of like an ironman race or decathalon.

$24k + 35k = 59k or 24*35=840,000 for you. gdae's adds up to $19k + 47k = 66k and multiplies to 19*47=893,000. So you're still the world record holder after all!!! Wait, Mark G was really close, sliding in with $32.5k + 26k = 58.5k but also 32.5*26=845,000...you'd have to be nice to the judges and hope they side with you!

I revisited my sig and it still remains ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you are buying a car with fully documented service history I wouldn't boast about how good of a deal you got. Deferred maintenance will certainly cost you more in the long run.
The better deal is getting a car with fully documented service history and no deferred maintenance for low to mid $30k's for an early model year.
Having a "current" timing belt service is based on time and not just mileage. A prudent prospective buyer should always pay attention to the details...most advertisments disclose the mileage for service but not the date...pay close attention to that.

My service records are all documented and the timing belt and water pump was changed prior to him selling to me based on time. So I'm sticking to the my sig.

This is a good friend of mine that sold me the NSX so there is no funny business (original paint, all service records, etc.).

- - -

This is a good friend of mine that sold me the NSX so there is no funny business (original paint, all service records, etc.).

Ok, so buying an NSX from a "good friend" should void any sort of record...talk about funny business:rolleyes:

:tongue:

I get PM'd often asking for buying advice and about 1/3 unfortunately seem to focus so much on price that they ignore the bigger picture of downstream costs or whether they've really found the right one for them, unnecessarily comparing their deal to so-and-so who got theirs for $XYZ price. I was there in my 20's, so getting past the trap of focusing just on the car's price maybe comes with age and wisdom and of course having a few extra $ in the bank, but it bears repeating IMHO:

If ppl really want to best answer the OP's question, I still feel that reporting buy prices, year bought, and mileage here must instantly be treated with a +/- 20% factor since those 3 things are only 1/2 or even 1/4 of the picture unfortunately. Things like (at a minimum) the base info req'd in the FS ads on Prime would help make more sense of buy prices: any accidents, bodywork, paint, recent maint/service done, req'd maintenance needed soon, condition of wearables, any mods, etc? Any missing OEM parts? Was transporting it required? Were any special circumstances at play - a friendship, an uneducated seller, a seller who gave the buyer a huge break for whatever reason... A lot of these things can sway the sale price a lot. I do know some buyers got deals of a lifetime where the "stole" the car for whatever lucky reason (all the more power to ya!) resulting in a 20-50% swing on a $50k+ car.

How many more rock chips is your Nsx away from turning into a revenue generator? :)

Last edited:

Ok, so buying an NSX from a "good friend" should void any sort of record...talk about funny business:rolleyes:

:tongue:

Negative. I have the records in my possession. All work prior to me was done at the Acura dealership.

Silver Avatar?

- - - Updated - - -

.....How many more rock chips is your Nsx away from turning into a revenue generator? :)

Not for the NSX since it's black and just doesn't look good with the rock chips.

Negative. I have the records in my possession. All work prior to me was done at the Acura dealership.

Silver Avatar?

Not talking about those records..lol
Was referring to your record deal being bought from a good friend:tongue:

The silver one was my last NSX... Time to change my avatar I guess..

Purchased Nov 24 1991 for $75,822 CDN dollars on the road.

While some owners like to tell all about the great deal they got, I thought I'd point out that a few of us original owners will take a large bath when we sell.
Other early owners who sold some time ago also took a hit on the depreciated value, that the following owners enjoyed as a low priced mid-engined car.
So please don't crow too loudly about your great deal and instead offer a minutes silence for the preceding owners who took the financial hit.

Last edited:
Looks like you didn't take as much of a hit as some original owners. I heard some shelled out $100,000 for the privilege of owning the very first NSX!

So please don't crow too loudly about your great deal and instead offer a minutes silence for the preceding owners who took the financial hit.

Yes but you were part of very few who were the "first men on the moon." That may not have been printed on the sticker but that was definitely something that had a cost but is something that no downstream NSX owner could ever buy even with all the money in the world. There have to be some great stories, sensations, and/or memories from that. Not "Hey look at me" stories but - stories of discovery and experiencing things firsthand that you or nobody read about in depth in magazines beforehand, nor obviously see and hear on YouTube. The first walkaround at the dealership, the negotiation talks... The first day and drive off from the dealership... The first time to redline. The first realization that something was different about this one some of the candid discussions with an open or closed minded Ferrari or Porsche owner or the neighborhood teenagers. Any of you early adopters have any good stories to share here or elsewhere in a more appropriate thread?

Looks like you didn't take as much of a hit as some original owners. I heard some shelled out $100,000 for the privilege of owning the very first NSX!

Fortunately in Canada dealerships pretty much stuck to MSRP in the early days.
I know some US dealerships were able to charge very high premiums for a while.
You don't take a loss until you sell and I haven't sold yet so it's possible with a runaway market one's losses could be less.

I think most of us long term owners view the depreciation as a cost of owning and enjoying the car over many years.
For other more recent buyers they've acquired a great car at a great price that seems to be firming in value and good for them.
I note a lot of new owners appreciate that previous owners took very good care of their NSX's which provided the next buyer with a great unit.

I guess it's really only a few immature buyers who talk like they've really achieved something by buying a lower priced NSX.
In fact they've really only bought a car that someone else has borne the cost of maintenance and depreciation.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but you were part of very few who were the "first men on the moon." That may not have been printed on the sticker but that was definitely something that had a cost but is something that no downstream NSX owner could ever buy even with all the money in the world. There have to be some great stories, sensations, and/or memories from that. Not "Hey look at me" stories but - stories of discovery and experiencing things firsthand that you or nobody read about in depth in magazines beforehand, nor obviously see and hear on YouTube. The first walkaround at the dealership, the negotiation talks... The first day and drive off from the dealership... The first time to redline. The first realization that something was different about this one some of the candid discussions with an open or closed minded Ferrari or Porsche owner or the neighborhood teenagers. Any of you early adopters have any good stories to share here or elsewhere in a more appropriate thread?

You are right.
I still remember driving the NSX off the car lot and being very nervous driving it home.
Then the glorious days of owning and driving a fast unique car.
Followed by Honda's USA's dealers realizing they had ordered far more NSX's than they could sell and then watching the unsold inventory on the Long Beach docks climb.
Then the discounting began and the loss of exclusivity and devaluation of the car followed.
Finally the low prices resulted in purchases by younger drivers and the rice period began which is perhaps only now beginning to end with prices for stock/near stock units rising.

However I have three sons and each of them enjoyed long road trips, some NSXPO's, some test drives in supermarket parking lots and so on.
My wife and I had several road trips to California along some great roads.
So as part of the family my NSX is priceless.

Indeed, cruising out to the hamptons in my new nsx in the summer of 96 was amazing...worth every penny.Mine was delivered to me in Pa on a flatbed.....they took my rx-7 away.....never looked back.

A '91 NSX 5spd. purchase at ~$60k USD (in 1991 dollars; ~$100k 2014 dollars) with a general present value at ~$30k USD ain't half-bad (so to speak), even when taking inflation into account. Smart purchase for early adopters!

So 1991-2014, 24yrs or 288months; -$30k into that is ~$104/month depreciation or ~$243/month taking inflation into account. And NSX ownership comes out to $208/month or $347/month in 2014 dollars.

Reference: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

1991 NSX Automatic 74,000 miles, $29,000 in 2013.

Worth EVERY damn penny!

Back