• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What has your NSX been mistaken for?

I've only been an NSX owner for a few days now (and loving every minute of it I must say), but I've already ran into a few people that have mistaken the car, which mine is completely stock, for something else.

I was at a wedding party this past weekend and the father of the bride was asking people, "Who owns that car outside? I think it's a Viper."

Two people (the receiptionist at my work and someone else from that wedding) asked me if it was a DeLorean!! To be fair, my NSX is Silverstone Metallic, so I guess it could be mistaken for the stainless steel body of a time machine, lol.

Another (Formula Red) NSX owner told me that some people mistake his for a Farrari.

I'm curious as to what some of you guys have heard people call your NSX. Those of you who have body kits will most likely have the strangest answers.

Number 4...I just got that the other day...first NSX comment so far since I have only had it a week or so and it's pretty much rained everyday since I bought it!!! lol I was stopped at a light and a 30's couple pulled up and he rolled the window down...asked me...is that the "new model"... New model what I have no clue lol I said...nope...it's an Acura...like the one your driving! He and his woman were in a TL :biggrin: Kinda funny to me anyway

#1 corvette
#2 ferrari
#3 mustang
#4 that new car that hasn't come out yet :)

Feiro (Bleh)
Nissan NX (Double Bleh)
Integra (written on a traffic ticket)
Japanese Ferrari (woot)

That's all I can think of at the moment.....

F-car. Funny thing a real deal Ferrari was parked across the street from me in Carmel and different people were gathering around my car and no one bothered to stop to look at the ferrari :tongue:

Ferrari with more aggressive badges
Lamborgini
Corvette concept before the new ones came out

Most people just say "what is that. I've never seen a car like that"

The funny part is that although the ferrari is more rare in most cases, everyone knows a ferrari and a lambo and def. the corvette but no one knows of the japanese super car lol.

1. comaro
2. corvette
3. MR2
4. ferrari
5. A Nissan (no specific model...just nissan)

my fav. was the comaro guy. it was complete daylight and we were standing about 20 ft away on the passenger side. full side view and he says he likes my comaro. last i checked comaros dont have side vents...

I get Vette a lot. Another said that's a Ferarri - right? Mostly vette, but I haven't had it that long. The other day someone asked me what it was - which is good cause you never see em. Haven't gotten the lambo comment yet but then Lambos look completely different to me. :smile:

Vette a few times and Farrari too. ...Went thru emmisions the other day (Passed, thank you) and the DOMV thinks it is a NST and yellow. At least on their paperwork. Title is correct, however...Its black but I didn't want to waste what would probably turn into hours trying to straighten them out!

When I bought my first NSX back in the summer of '97, had two instances on the drive back home. A van pulled up beside at a rest stop and a bunch of kids ran out swarming around the car. The driver of the van came up and was pointing at saying "This is the... the... the... McLaren!" Told him it was an NSX made by Honda, the same company that builds Accords and Civics. He said "Right!" but that McLaren builds the car for Honda. I said no but he insisted that McLaren built the car until I showed him all the tags on the car proving it was built by Honda. He was blown away that the car of this caliber could be built by Honda. Looks like he had a new found respect for Honda.

Later on the trip home, I stopped to gas up and a guy stopped by asking me what kind of car it was. He though I was driving a prototype of the next Nissan Z car and really thought that Nissan got it perfect with this version. I then told him it was an NSX. He really thought this would be the next Z as at that time the original 300ZX was discontinued in 1996 and no successor announced.

Last edited:
I have the end all mistaken identity for this one that nobody will be able to beat. I was out to dinner a couple of weeks ago and a male in his late 20s was making negative comments about the anatomical prowess and probable self-esteem of the individual driving the bright pearl yellow sports car that I had driven to dinner (without realizing that I was sitting about 8 feet from them on the outdoor patio). After a while, the opportunity to confront and embarass the individual was too much to pass up. So I confronted them, properly embarassed and made them feel uncomfortable, and then offered to give them a ride in the car if they wished.

The funny part was when he walked up to the car, got a confused look on his face when he saw the door open up instead of out, and turned back to his buddies and said, 'Hey!! This is not an Acura NSX,' at which point he asked what in the world I was driving. I laughed, and said, 'This is a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo 6.0....see the emblem on the hood,' at which point he was even more confused. Somehow this boob had thought that the bright pearl yellow Lamborghini I was driving was an Acura NSX. No idea how he confused the two, but he did. He then commented how at least I did not have an NSX (somehow this would have made me a worse person). I smiled again, pulled out my phone and said, 'I am about to really ruin your day,' and showed him a picture of the Diablo and NSX next to each other in my garage.

NSX_and_Diablo_8-24-09_.JPG

At this point his face turned white, and he dropped his head in his hands and apologized yet again. It was freaking classic. I love my NSX and all, but I have no idea how ANYONE could mistake a Lamborghini Diablo for an Acura NSX. No idea. :tongue: :confused:

Last edited:
I have the end all mistaken identity for this one that nobody will be able to beat. I was out to dinner a couple of weeks ago and a male in his late 20s was making negative comments about the anatomical prowess and probable self-esteem of the individual driving the bright pearl yellow sports car that I had driven to dinner (without realizing that I was sitting about 8 feet from them on the outdoor patio). After a while, the opportunity to confront and embarass the individual was too much to pass up. So I confronted them, properly embarassed and made them feel uncomfortable, and then offered to give them a ride in the car if they wished.

The funny part was when he walked up to the car, got a confused look on his face when he saw the door open up instead of out, and turned back to his buddies and said, 'Hey!! This is not an Acura NSX,' at which point he asked what in the world I was driving. I laughed, and said, 'This is a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo 6.0....see the emblem on the hood,' at which point he was even more confused. Somehow this boob had thought that the bright pearl yellow Lamborghini I was driving was an Acura NSX. No idea how he confused the two, but he did. He then commented how at least I did not have an NSX (somehow this would have made me a worse person). I smiled again, pulled out my phone and said, 'I am about to really ruin your day,' and showed him a picture of the Diablo and NSX next to each other in my garage.

At this point his face turned white, and he dropped his head in his hands and apologized yet again. It was freaking classic. I love my NSX and all, but I have no idea how ANYONE could mistake a Lamborghini Diablo for an Acura NSX. No idea. :tongue: :confused:
When did you get the Diablo?

I get alot of waves from guys in Corvettes; either they think I am one of their own or they like the NSX. I always wave back:biggrin:.

For some reason this summer, I get waves all the time from corvette owners...never had that before. My only idea is that the tinted lens covers on the front maybe make it resemble a later C4?
Other than that, I have had lots of other comments.
Integra...an employee at an auto parts store no less.
Civic with a body kit (thats one hell of a body kit)
Firebird..it was an elderly lady...so I don't hold it against her.
Nissan NXS....where do people get this?
Ferrari...im ok with that.
One of my favorites was at a car show and a guy came up and was trying to impress his wife with his automotive knowledge and was telling her how this was an "Acura NSX...the fastest production car ever built." I didn't correct him. :wink:

Mitch: The ride you gave me in the Lambo still is one of my favorite car stories. I love retelling the hijinks of that night!

Last edited:

This is a great story! Thanks for sharing, and nice Leafs flag as well:biggrin:

meeyatch, do you have that picture in a larger size? that would make a awesome wall paper.

i can also see how a nsx can be mistaken for a diablo because we both have cab forward styling that is squarish.

my car gets mistaken for

1) corvette
2) ferrari
3) lamborghini
4) something that hasn't come out yet. hahah

...The funny part was when he walked up to the car, got a confused look on his face when he saw the door open up instead of out, and turned back to his buddies and said, 'Hey!! This is not an Acura NSX,' at which point he asked what in the world I was driving. I laughed, and said, 'This is a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo 6.0....see the emblem on the hood,' at which point he was even more confused. Somehow this boob had thought that the bright pearl yellow Lamborghini I was driving was an Acura NSX. No idea how he confused the two, but he did. He then commented how at least I did not have an NSX (somehow this would have made me a worse person). I smiled again, pulled out my phone and said, 'I am about to really ruin your day,' and showed him a picture of the Diablo and NSX next to each other in my garage.

:biggrin: Damn fine looking cars in that garage, Mitch!! The guy was not too bright was he? I would love a ride in your Lambo, and I won't insult you first.

Haha Mitch that is hysterical... that dude put his foot in his mouth and just kept gnawing up to the ankle! hahaha no idea how he confused the 2 and whats wrong with owning an NSX? :eek::rolleyes::confused::biggrin:

Last edited:
Back