• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What type of suspension is the best for ride and handling...?

JRZ or Moton is the absolute best for a no compromise solution. KW V3 are the next step down from that. After that, BC Racing or Bilstein dampers is a great solution. I have driven a NSX on Tein Flex and was not impressed. The Tein RA is nice, if you can find it.

On this forum, what most people seem to use depends primarily on your budget:

High End:
KW Competitions / JRZ RS or RS Pro / Moton

Mid:
KW V3 / JIC SOS Spec (discontinued) / Type R or S (OEM) / Comptech Pro / DG-5

Budget:
BC Racing w/SWIFT upgrade / Bilstein HD

A few people might run Tein's, but there are more negatives than positives on this forum because of their 'bouncy' characteristics or harsh ride. For the money and best compromise, KW V3 seems to be the favorite in the (mid) category & the BC Racing w/Swift (budget).

But is KW V3 is kinda expensive..is there any website to buy a cheaper KW V3 ,,??

But is KW V3 is kinda expensive..is there any website to buy a cheaper KW V3 ,,??

Dali racing lists them for less, but many people have had issues dealing with them. Do your research before you buy.

Kk .. Will do .. Any of u guys has KW V3 installed..?

Hi NSX78, I don't have anywhere near the experience with our cars as many on this forum. However, I have fitted the KW V3 and couldn't be happier with the choice. Very smooth and compliant on road and fabulous at the track. Based on most opinions, on all the Prime threads that discuss suspension set ups, they appear to be the BEST allround shockers available.
TYSAMA.

On this forum, what most people seem to use depends primarily on your budget:

High End:
KW Competitions / JRZ RS or RS Pro / Moton

Mid:
KW V3 / JIC SOS Spec (discontinued) / Type R or S (OEM) / Comptech Pro / DG-5

Budget:
BC Racing w/SWIFT upgrade / Bilstein HD

A few people might run Tein's, but there are more negatives than positives on this forum because of their 'bouncy' characteristics or harsh ride. For the money and best compromise, KW V3 seems to be the favorite in the (mid) category & the BC Racing w/Swift (budget).

Juts a note: The JRZ RS is their more basic line, the RS PRO is their mid line, and the Race Series is their high end line. If you are going to compare the KW Competition to a JRZ, it would be comparable to the Race Series not the RS or RS Pro.

Just remember, the suspension that is best for ride is not the best for handling, and vice versa. So it depends on where you want to fall along that spectrum, and where you want to make that trade-off.

For a combination of ride and handling as well as cost-effectiveness, the stock springs and Bilstein shocks is a great combination.

I went from Tein RA to KW v3 and did not look back. The Tein RAs are very light but they are very very stiff, felt like the only suspension I had was just the tire sidewall, felt great on smooth roads but any bumps especially mid-corner would unsettle the car and didn't give me a lot of confidence through turns on regular roads. I switched to KW v3 which are much more compliant, still stiffer than the stock suspension, but now it can absorb road bumps so much better and it feels more planted through turns as it absorbs the irregularities of the road, the closest thing I can resemble it to is a BMW set on sport. KW is a German company I believe too and their constructin quality is much better than Tein.

remember a spring is just coiled metal..the damper is really what gives you the "feel" of compliant or stiff,or bouncy.A dead susp means the shock is over damping,a bouncy one means it is under damped ,and, a smooth ride in most conditions is a shock well tuned or balanced to the spring rate and length of travel...the latter usually is more expensive.

Like most Japanese coilovers, Teins have very little compression and droop travel. Add on stiffer springs and less sophisticated damping and you get a rough ride over bumpy roads. A lot also depends on the roads you drive on.

When I purchased my car, it came with Fightex coilovers, which were too low and too harsh for the street, IMO. Got the KWs but didn't have the stock upper shock mounts so I bought some used aftermarket pillowball mounts. This combination is good but I still found them a bit harsh over small bumps. They also started rattling after a year. Ended up replacing them with the stock upper mounts and I find the combination excellent for street use. Very happy with them and certainly recommend them.

these help the street ride... like the difference between 17/18 vs 18/19

http://ksportusa.com/b2c/products.php?cat=1842
replacement_rubb_spring_bush_plimage.jpg

Like most Japanese coilovers, Teins have very little compression and droop travel. Add on stiffer springs and less sophisticated damping and you get a rough ride over bumpy roads. A lot also depends on the roads you drive on.

Billy you should really try the BC/Swift if you get a chance. I have 10 hard track days and two winters on mine and they are still going strong.

OP, i'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Ohlins (aka. Super Ohlins DFV). Its special order from Ohlins Japan only but with the falling yen it's not so expensive anymore.

I'm currently on DG5s which have been quite good. It's basically Tsuchiya's suspension which is the updated version of the one he has on his Type R here and eventually sold to the market when Kei Office closed down and became DG5 (IIRC).

KW V3 is also a popular brand with lots of support here in the USA.

Honcho is happy with his BC Racing which I also considered but decided against it when I decided my car will see more track time yet I still wanted enough comfort for street.

Tein Flex, Monoflex, RA.. are generally not considered to be comfortable at all. Its too bad the Tein SRC line isn't more popular on the NSX. That is an awesome damper.

I chose KWv3 for the adjustability between comfort and sportiness. It also allows for adjusting ride height ~ so between that and the soft vs. hard tweaking, it was perfect for my daily driving needs. My only gripe is that the KWv3 does not allow me to lower the car as far as I wanted, but that's a minor issue.

Previously I had the popular Bilstein/Eibach combination which quite frankly is a very good combination and compromise between ride quality and sportiness, and for the price it is really hard to beat. I think the Bilstein/Eibach is a better combination then the BC coilover equipped cars I've driven (three now, to date including both w/ and w/o Swift springs).

I have the Bilstein and stock spring on low perch as I wanted a nice ride. But I'm considering coilovers and with my research it seems the KW V3 is the best of both ride and handling for the money. Only reason I'd do coilovers is if I switch to 18/19. My ride height is perfect with 17/18 maintaining clearance with the Wings West lip to not rub on speed bumps when taken on a angle atleast.

Previously I had the popular Bilstein/Eibach combination which quite frankly is a very good combination and compromise between ride quality and sportiness, and for the price it is really hard to beat. I think the Bilstein/Eibach is a better combination then the BC coilover equipped cars I've driven (three now, to date including both w/ and w/o Swift springs).

Can you go into details?
I am considering both.

I'm on KW v3's and love them. If your budget allows, you won't regret going with those IMO. I think wheel and tire setup made a bigger difference in ride quality than the coilovers. I was still on OEM 16/17 wheel/tires for a half a year after I installed the V3's and can honestly say there was no huge noticeable difference in ride quality from OEM. There was a difference in handling yes, but the comfort was still the same.

After going 17/18 with the next teir level tire though, comfort and noise was definitely negatively affected.

Back