• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what's the best subwoofer enclosure

Breaking off mounting points is not cool in any way.. ill go Sylora any day of the week

I have the sub from John Solora and the thing is awesome. The Zetoolman is great, but you have to chisel off the stock mounting points and remount the power steering module. With the one from John, you use the stock mounting points.

Here is my post.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103830

I went on the tax relief drive yesterday and had a few people listen to my system and the ALL said that the sub was great. It hits hard and it very tight.

my box is the best box :)
.85 cubic ft. in the footwell. 10" Kicker facing the front of the car ,not the passengers feet.
Utopia Be #7, 3 way kit
Pioneer Premiere 8000 head unit w, HD Radio and Ipod Interface
Pioneer Premiere 4 Channel Amp and Mono Amp for the Sub

Last edited:
my box is the best box :)
.85 cubic ft. in the footwell. 10" Kicker facing the front of the car ,not the passengers feet.
Utopia Be #7, 3 way kit
Pioneer Premiere 8000 head unit w, HD Radio and Ipod Interface
Pioneer Premiere 4 Channel Amp and Mono Amp for the Sub

Let's see pictures :wink:

I didnt realize you were even involved in this conversation(troll) until you added your worthless comments just now. Your thumbnail looks familiar....wait, its the president elect.

I didnt realize you were even involved in this conversation(troll) until you added your worthless comments just now. Your thumbnail looks familiar....wait, its the president elect.

Hey Butt nut, the "conversation" was about sub enclosures not showing off your Be tweeters!

BTW: I am interested in seeing pics of your sub enclosure since it is done differently than every other sub enclosure that has been tried in the NSX. How did you get a firewall facing 10" with .85 cu without giving up almost all of the foot well space?

Last edited:
You have yer' with words Ken-Tucky. It was difficult to determine the real meaning of your veiled and mal-requested information since your comments had little substance other than a slash of Jealousy in with your watered down koolaid'ish comments. Again, I dont remember you being a part of this thread until your snide remark.

You carry alot of big-footed hillbilly women around with you? It's always been hard for me to find a woman with 14" feet that meets the passenger weight constraints of the NSX. Maybe you have more insight on the matter you want to share with everyone. Maybe it's a hairy man your looking for with your nuts and butts revelations to everyone. Might want to keep that stuff to your self...its dont ask dont tell around here. Re: the woofer, just be the follower that you are and get the one everyone else has...it's best for folks like you. That way you will feel part of a group and all nice and cozy at night. Plus, once you have the box, you wouldn't know how to start filling it with the correct speaker anyway since you obvoiusly dont know shit.

later troll.

... had little substance other than a slash of Jealousy in with your watered down koolaid'ish comments .... since you obvoiusly dont know shit.

later troll.

First off, I am very happy with my Dynaudios. The Be is a nice set. However, I believe in the law of diminishing returns and you should know that a car is a lousy acoustical environment. Especially a car like the NSX with alot of glass, loud engine and exhaust, etc. There are quite a few NSX Prime members running Focals, however most of us (including Turbo2Go who is a Focal dealer) determined that going to the Be line was a waste of money in a car such as the NSX with it's audio challenges.

Good speakers but the fact that they cost what they do is marketing. They are in not superior to the Focal Utopia in any single aspect of speaker performance. Even the Utopia is not worth what they ask for it, but I can say it is probably the best component set out there for someone that has no budget.

Once you go above that $1000/set you are basically wasting your money IMO. The NSX is no audiophile environment.

Back to the topic at hand, which was sub enclosures. As "we" all know the NSX has limited passenger foot space stock. Some of us were willing to give up a little in exchange for boxes ranging from 0.3 cu to 0.6 cu. If you had bothered to go back and read some of the older Prime audio threads, the community has tried various configurations, including isobaric designs to get adequate bass without making the passenger leg room obsolete. So my comment was to see if you managed to do what no one else in community has been able to do, which is to get a 0.85 cu in the foot well area without totally sacrificing passenger space. Apparently, you haven't.

Last edited:
So you mounted the Be tweeter firing upwards to the glass, wonder how the reflection sounds. I guess you didn't have much options due to its size.

So where are the sub pictures?

CL65 Captain, he mentioned that he was able to get a .85 cf. enclosure with the sub forward facing. He did not mention how much space it took up in the foot well. If I'm not mistaken, the Z's toolbox V1 was also a .85 cf enclosure.

Last edited:
CL65 Captain, he mentioned that he was able to get a .85 cf. enclosure with the sub forward facing. He did not mention how much space it took up in the foot well. If I'm not mistaken, the Z's toolbox V1 was also a .85 cf enclosure.

I have a Ztoolbox V1 and it was HUGE and HEAVY. I hacked the face off and put a new MDF ring on and refiberglassed it. I took it down to about 0.5 cu and there is still some loss of footspace, but not nearly as bad as before. This is before he made the V2 or V3. I had tried several subs designed for small enclosures - Image Dynamics IDQ, TC Sounds and finally a elemental Designs SQ10 ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neodymium Motor). [/FONT]It works great in a sealed cab as small as 0.25. And it is not outrageously priced.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=106

IMG_0082_MAINLARGE.jpg
86_large.jpg

This winter I may try to figure out how to get one of these new 12" JL Audios in there...

13TW5-Group.jpg

Last edited:
First time I've seen that 12" JL sub. Looks pretty cool. What is the minimum enclosure size for that sub? I had also cut down a toolbox sub to increase leg room but used an Earthquake 10" sub (very much like the final size of the V3 enclosure).

A 12" slim line sub might fit into the footwell space if the sub is slanted at a greater angle compared to typical enclosures. Personally, I think a sub enclosure that has a lower slope (less incline) could be egonmic for the application. Hope you get to try it out.:smile:

CL65 Captain, what do you think of that ED sq10 you use vs. the Earthquake SWS 10 that ze put in with his v3 sub boxes? Better, worse, or no real difference? My v3 with Earthquake sub is getting about 300w rms from an alpine pdx amp and sometimes it sounds great, but its not great obviously in reproducing low frequency well at higher volumes. The v3 box has about .35 cubic ft volume, so the ED would work in it as well...

I tried two 6" subs (less depth so more leg room compared to 8/10/12") custom enclosed with fiber glass protected with mesh. NO loss of leg room. I like it and most who saw my car liked it. Enclosed pics. I tune the sub through head unit(alpine). PM me if you need more details. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture_2277.jpg
    Picture_2277.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
CL65 Captain, what do you think of that ED sq10 you use vs. the Earthquake SWS 10 that ze put in with his v3 sub boxes? Better, worse, or no real difference? My v3 with Earthquake sub is getting about 300w rms from an alpine pdx amp and sometimes it sounds great, but its not great obviously in reproducing low frequency well at higher volumes. The v3 box has about .35 cubic ft volume, so the ED would work in it as well...

I have not heard the Earthquake, but looking at the specs the recommended sealed enclosure is 0.35 cu - the same as the eDesign.
For me, the price was the determining factor - at the time of intro of the sub it was $50 (now $70). It is the same sub as the Tang Bang wt-1427g.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZdZuJreFok&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZdZuJreFok&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am extremely pleased with the eDesign sub. This is the third sub I have gone through in this box and the best of the bunch. I am driving it with the same amp as you and it does very well at high volumes providing plenty of deep bass with plenty of impact. To get any more db in the NSX I think we would need to go ported which means a much bigger enclosure. If you already have the Earthquake I would stick with it, if you were looking for a sub the eDesign is just as good at a much, much lower cost.

Here is a page I found with some other slim subs.... some are new comers (I like the Underdogs).

http://www.motorator.com/blog/mobile-audio-electronics/shallow-mount-subwoofers

Last edited:
I was looking at the Earthquake SWS pdf manual and they have a sketch of a 10"x10"x3" horn design (actually looks like a slotted port not a horn). I think that might work pretty good and give you more db.

I tried two 6" subs (less depth so more leg room compared to 8/10/12") custom enclosed with fiber glass protected with mesh. NO loss of leg room. I like it and most who saw my car liked it. Enclosed pics. I tune the sub through head unit(alpine). PM me if you need more details. Good luck!

I like that.... and most music, unlike HT movies doesn't go down to 20hz. Nice job!

Re: what's the worst subwoofer enclosure;-(

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 45116_m copy.jpg
    45116_m copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 725
  • 45117_m copy.jpg
    45117_m copy.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 727
  • 45118_m copy.jpg
    45118_m copy.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 714

Were you high when you installed this? :smile: We need an adoption programs for neglected NSXs. This one seems to suffer from abuse. Im callin CPS

This is not his car, this is a JDM NSX. I think he's just posting up some pictures for us to look at :)

This is not his car, this is a JDM NSX. I think he's just posting up some pictures for us to look at :)

And read the title "Re: what's the worst subwoofer enclosure;-("

I think the car needs time circuits and a flux capacitor to finish it off.

Back