• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which color to order the new 2022 Type S NSX?

Man, I dunno ... when I saw this pic in Gotham Grey my jaw literally dropped, I don't think there's a more picture perfect capture of the refresh NSX Type-S than this pic taken at Mecum's ... it shows every detail, connecting every curve, every vent, every angle, etc. and just looks sooo ... so gotham (they musta had fun coming up with that name).

NSX_TYPE-S_most_awesome_picture_of_it.jpg

The more I look at this picture, the more awkward the car looks to me. It took me a while to decipher what was confusing to me and then it jumped out. The curved roof line at the A-pillar back, just doesn't carry the design well. Same thing with the curves on the top of the fenders. Acura tried to copy the Aventador design, but failed at continuing it towards the back of the car.

Last edited:
didn't you have a few of your own infamous renderings that actually was pretty close to this?

Too kind doc, too kind ... these musing (seem like ages ago) might've touched on some of it ... now to find them (and remember folks, threads are more fun with pictures :cheerful:)

Quick backstory: it all kinda started with the idea back in Jan 2015 that a change out would only need to involve the front bumper fascia keeping all other panels in tact...
connection_points.png

The initial approach used lots of restraint just trying to remain clean and simple cause usually that amounts to timelessness and retaining classic appeal...
front5_wht.jpg

Then we said 'screw saving panels' and made it dawn an HSC mask...
HSC_front_bumper_kit.jpg

Then we circled back to reality (not) the idea of a diamond shaped grill and a visible front bumper crossmember was also explored ...
nsx_bumper_kit.jpg

Then realizing how far-fetched this ALL still was the idea of a simple hood integration into the beak-vent since that seemed feasible but still worried that Acura would want to put a giant emblem in the grill...
grill_emblem.jpg

Then realizing they ain't gonna change headlights but hopefully NOT go with massive grill-bling like the others ...
acura-nsx-nouvelle-blue-02.jpg

Then an Iron Man or Avenger movie came out? (so I flattened the nose)
acura-nsx-ironman.jpg

Then ValkyriePilot sent this sketch...
cc9b62d50472a22528f9000245465a00.jpg

Which got turned into the following which keeps a pointy front and brought the front edge of the hood below the headlights to eliminate the perception of them hanging headlights (the next few images have an interesting story which I'll explain in a moment) ...
attachment.php

Which I then tweaked to remove a point front (a la Gen 1) AND moved the Acura emblem off of the hood and onto the front bumper fascia...
nsx_fascia_grdesign.jpg

And then tweaked it further to this to give it the supposedly "expected" diamond-shaped grille but without the grille-bling...
NSX-Perenich-Goldie-Chop_v4.jpg

Now this could mean absolutely nothing or it could be just a little bit of something ... Valkyrie Pilot had a chance to sit down with Ted Klaus (they have the same Alma Mater) and share some of the above images. He hasn't posted on here in a while but on 4-10-19 he posted regarding these images "BUMP because Honda will be tweaking the design soon!" Anyway, Valk explained to Ted how it was our opinion that the design would have a greater gut-level connection if he could get the front leading edge to appear lower than the headlights and simplify all of the varying front textures, etc. and that just this change alone could affect sales in a very positive way. To his surprise, Ted asked if he could keep the renderings ... now he coulda showed some staff and asked their thoughts/feedback or just as easily coulda tossed it in the trash on his way out. It could also easily mean nothing because in the world of design you have limited parameters and a finite number of so-called "moves" you can make in any given design space to still remain functional. So one could easily argue that if given this is your full-time job which you will chip away at day-in and day-out and continue to refine for a year or more, it's not surprising at all that many skilled designers will often arrive at some/many of the same design conclusions.

Then announced for 2019 was a refresh and the hot color of choice for showcasing it was gonna be Thermal Orange. With it we saw what seemed like an effort to bring the "hoodline" below (or at least closer) to the bottom of the headlights via a paint-matched beak. A+ for effort but not so great (yet) in execution...
2019-acura-nsx-thermal-orange.jpg

So started playing with morphing images...
new-acura-nsx-vs-old-nsx.gif

Then NFLPATS did something really cool, he painted the blackened out portions of his front which took away some of the (for lack of a better term) bulbous feel and made it seem wider and flatter (and tricked out his Acura logo too)...
thermal_facelift_0.jpg

Which I then further tweaked (again, dreamland cause it don't cost much to fantasize) ...
thermal_facelift_3.png

and even simpler to...
thermal_facelift_6.png

But again, going back to what seemed more feasible/practical I explored this in an effort to eliminate the beak/vent (which seemed to be getting closer)...
2019-Acura-NSX-imola.jpg

And then this guess where they would hopefully reevaluate the side intakes and clean up the beak (maybe a little closer)...
nsx_c7ish.jpg

Then fast forward to this spy photo capture...
old_vs_new_nsx_type-s_front_comparison.jpg

And then this unknown users excellent attempt to decipher the code underneath the camo-wrap...
youtube_render.png

I personally was not fond of their residual beak-vent so and all the panel lines so I removed it plus cleaned up some more lines/excessive panels in an effort to simplify...
NSX_type-s_1.jpg

On the Type-S what's interesting is the blackened out cross-bumper beam allows for additional front fascia coverage that's not paint matched which at the same time allows Acura to have it's (residual) pointy beak and eat it too (but it looks much better now)!
2022-acura-nsx-type-s_front_angle.jpg

At the end of the day you can see that some of the new fascia's design features were derived from the Precision Concept...
precision.jpg

Then translated into NSX language was this artist's rendering on what-could-have-been (sans-grille) and note under the headlights the aggressive folding arrows...
refresh_left.jpg

Compared to the final you can see that the Concept's double slits >> under the headlights actually made the cut but in an expanded fashion. They obviously spent a great deal of time tying all of these front elements together in very stylized way in how they were placed and angled, etc. to optimize connecting it in with the existing heavily angular and aggressive side intakes (which you could argue was the most aggressive design element of the car since birth). The markings below attempt to highlight some of these design elements and show how they got sewn so well together to bring some of that side-vent-mojo-madness to the front, front-qtr, and profile...
2022-acura-nsx-type-s_angles_analysis.png

Which brings us back to the original killer pic which exhibits a rather deadly stance of what looks like an aggressive fighter jet.
NSX_TYPE-S_most_awesome_picture_of_it.jpg

Last comment .... back in 2018 when all of this stuff was conjectured, Mogami (who used to post on here and was an incredibly valuable source) would get the occasional opportunity to chum it up with top retired Honda execs at a local udon noodle shop in Japan. He said back in Aug of 2018 that American Honda tried too hard to give the NSX the 2009-17 Acura sedan design philosophy (Beak and rounded rear fascia) that hurt it's looks (front and rear fascia). He was very critical of the fact of them "Not hitting the magic PR horsepower number........600hp" and "Not enough color choices and interior choices." He also shared that "To the Japanese the American Muscle Cars.... are WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! To Them the Muscle Car is the most Exotic car. The NSX was designed at the Tokyo Design Center under Toshinoba Minami (Ext.) and Yoshinori Asahi (Int.) drawing design clues from the American Muscle Car (NA American Market was planned to be it's main market). Then it was passed over to the LA Design Center (aka Michele Christensen) to finish and make more Acura like."

I had commented that it was Minami's original penning that had created a predicament that lost a lot of existing US marketshare. Not only was he the one that insisted on the beak saying we would learn to like it when customer feedback said they didn't during all those same years ... what Minami thought would be the silver bullet (American Muscle Car inspired) for the new NSX would simply not be revered in the USA like it is there. If Americans want American muscle, they would buy American-made muscle ... not a Japanese car (or any other foreign built) that gets its inspiration/influence from American muscle cars.

To contrast, the simple brilliance of what Ken Okuyama did while penning the first gen was take his lines of inspiration from what was highly coveted back then, but unobtainable by many ... the Italian machines. It was akin to Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and giving it to mere mortals. Minami did the opposite, he took fire we already had and tried to repackage it, and then try to give it back to us, and so far it hadn't worked ... ... until now. Because when you look at the front fascia in the above image, you do NOT think anything other than mean, aggressive, in your face Italian-influence. People may liken it to Lambo (similar to how the 1st gen was likened to a Ferrari) or any energetic, dynamic supercar, well ... all I can say is mission accomplished as we're in much, much better territory this go round and that is why I think demand has skyrocketed. It has provided a gut-level connection.

P.S. These comments are not intended at all to be a jab in any way to owners of the 17-21 model years. They love their cars the way they look and that's why they bought them period. It is rather just an attempt to share one opinion that might explain a small part of the reason that the '22's have generated so much praise and interest and so far (at least on paper) are all sold out. Perhaps Acura can do what Dodge did back in the mid-90's, if I remember correctly they oversold the 96 Viper GTS and in an effort to show their loyal customer base what it means to be honorable, they ran an additional 400 or so units the following year in 97 just to fill all the orders. Now that's an American Muscle Car example I'd encourage anyone to copy ... imagine that ... 400 additional Type S' could be an additional 72,000,000 ... not too shabby if you ask me.

While my current car is Novello blue that was still the color I went with on the new car. That has to be the best paint job on a car I have ever had. I decided on the mat grey wheels and the silver ceramic brake rotors. So I would lose the yellow rotor look I have now but felt that going with the ebony(black) seats full leather looked best overall. The seats and interior have red contrast stitching. I did not want the red calipers against the blue as they are both bright. So the new car would look less standout/striking vs what I have. I suppose I could do silver pin striping if I wanted that look again. Now the only question is if and when I might get the car.

I agree on no red calipers. Red on blue combos dont look right in my opinion. Yellow works well in that contrast. With it being a coupe, the interior doesnt mean as much to me. If this was a spider, I would struggle more: love tan on blue.

I went with Valencia Red (cant do more blue in the garage) with black calipers, grey wheels, black interior. Wife and I were in love with that red the first time we saw it. I think the andaro paints are among the best in the industry.

I'm going nuts here waiting for closure on this...

I agree I have never seen such a great paint job as the Andora paint. I thought about the Valencia red as a second choice, but was concerned as they did not give the option of changing the color of the brakes. I would have chosen black as well. So I just listed the blue as the only color. We shall see!

I wonder if they will do the Andora paint technique on any of the pearl colors for additional cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou for the comprehensive review vf2ss!!! We had alot of fun playing what if through the years...And now no more till NC2...:frown:

Technically I think they could do some of the other colors in the andora system. I would think it would require testing and a formulation that would include touch up etcetera. So if you were the only one asking probably no.

Agree Andora paint is amazing looking in person.

vf2ss said:
Perhaps Acura can do what Dodge did back in the mid-90's, if I remember correctly they oversold the 96 Viper GTS and in an effort to show their loyal customer base what it means to be honorable, they ran an additional 400 or so units the following year in 97 just to fill all the orders. Now that's an American Muscle Car example I'd encourage anyone to copy ... imagine that ... 400 additional Type S' could be an additional 72,000,000 ... not too shabby if you ask me.

I think these discussions are going on right now at Honda. The explosion in demand cannot be explained by the EOL or special edition alone. It's pretty clear the cosmetic updates are exactly what the customers have been wanting. They could just run production into 2023 and sell them all as 2022 models. Honda did this with the Gen 1, which was sold new at Honda Verno into 2007, but all were 2005 models. It would keep the PMC busy, generate more revenue, say "thank you" to the NSX fanatics, etc. I think part of the problem is the question of what part of the ~800 "deposits" are dealers hoping to get a huge markup gouge (without a confirmed buyer), flippers with no actual interest in the car, etc. Like, how many of these ~800 are actually going to lay down the full $200k? If I were going to extend the 2022MY production run, I would want paid-in-full contracts signed (whether financed or cash) before sending the order to the PMC. $10k deposit ain't gonna cut it. I'd put an order cutoff date at December 31, 2021 and build all cars that are ordered and paid in full as of that date. "You pays the money, you gets a car." :D

Where did you hear there are 800 accepted deposited orders?:confused:

To my understanding the andora system is just more layers of clear coat and instead of a midcoat they apply and tinted clearcoat.

To my understanding the andora system is just more layers of clear coat and instead of a midcoat they apply and tinted clearcoat.

yes and no. They had to experiment on what it would take to produce a special paint finish. There is probably more to it then just extra clear coat and toned clear coat. Bottom line, Honda rarely experiments with one off cars that are being sold to customers. If you want you could buy whatever color you want then have a paint shop shoot mor clear and experiment with a toned clear and see what you get?

I think these discussions are going on right now at Honda. The explosion in demand cannot be explained by the EOL or special edition alone. It's pretty clear the cosmetic updates are exactly what the customers have been wanting. They could just run production into 2023 and sell them all as 2022 models. Honda did this with the Gen 1, which was sold new at Honda Verno into 2007, but all were 2005 models. It would keep the PMC busy, generate more revenue, say "thank you" to the NSX fanatics, etc. I think part of the problem is the question of what part of the ~800 "deposits" are dealers hoping to get a huge markup gouge (without a confirmed buyer), flippers with no actual interest in the car, etc. Like, how many of these ~800 are actually going to lay down the full $200k? If I were going to extend the 2022MY production run, I would want paid-in-full contracts signed (whether financed or cash) before sending the order to the PMC. $10k deposit ain't gonna cut it. I'd put an order cutoff date at December 31, 2021 and build all cars that are ordered and paid in full as of that date. "You pays the money, you gets a car." :D

Not sure what is being smoked behind closed doors Honcho, but Acura is definitely not Dodge. Those folks will throw anything into anything to make a buck. Acura/Honda does not march to that drum beat. The shit you guys come up with is creative but is out to left field.

Just consider if you were buying a $170 to $195k car based upon the improvements and the limited sales, and then the manufacturer comes up with a dip shit plan to make more money at your expense. How would you feel? Really, after your Wife approved of your spending what for many is a fortune they will only dream of. I would not only be mad as hell, but even worst would always associate that manufacturer with greed and a lack of character.

Am I the only one here that thinks this is crazy? Not everyone is so driven that short of going to jail, anyway you can make money is a good thing. This very greed is what has destroyed our businesses in the US. Every CEO in the US has to make 10 million while the people that add value to the product or service cannot afford to live without having a second job. I just don’t get it. So sad….

I agree with you. For Several reasons. Besides a few flipper and maybe extremely few sour apples, the benefit of producing more is clear. It is not about money what so ever.

1. They under estimated demand. If their goal is to promote the brand which Acura clearly could use some help. Having 700 to ~800 cars which will still mean the car is extremely limited and still sell out. It will have far greater impact as for promoting brand and help setting up future anticipation for next NSX. When there are just 299, good chunk of which will not be driven much or take to meets. They get one time hype with tiny community vs a long lasting one.

2. 50 cars for rest of world is very unjust. It means countries besides Japan and Canada doesn't even get 1 car. Imagine people who loves the car wanting to get one but live in another country. That is cruel for car enthusiast.

3. If people are unhappy that they end up adding additional quantity, simply ask for refund. Someone else be happy to take it.

From my perspective as buyer and 2 time NC1 NSX owner. I purchased 2017 130R NSX without discount at $205k in early 2017 and my business partner picked one up same week as well. Later my wife picked up 2019 Berlina Black with discount for my birthday. As owner of many other super cars at one time or another. I was advocating for NSX all the time. The AWD drivetrain chief engineer Inoue San from Japan even messaged me with his business card and pics thanking my wife for making videos for NC1. We had a NC1 video that gone viral during first week of upload in Japan and reach million + view within days in Japanese language.

I love the 17 to 21 NC1, but hated the look, mainly the front end, car overall looks great. I tried really really hard to like it. What they did with the look on Type S even if it were just cosmetic update for 2022 model, I would had ordered another.

Last edited:
Since the Type S was announced I have also noticed a subjective increase in Social Media popularity of the NC1. Young and old Car folks (even in Japan) that I follow have now started to praise it. It's a cool shift. It's not too late for Honda to make the right moves with production here!

Dude.. share the video!
I agree with you. For Several reasons. Besides a few flipper and maybe extremely few sour apples, the benefit of producing more is clear. It is not about money what so ever.

1. They under estimated demand. If their goal is to promote the brand which Acura clearly could use some help. Having 700 to ~800 cars which will still mean the car is extremely limited and still sell out. It will have far greater impact as for promoting brand and help setting up future anticipation for next NSX. When there are just 299, good chunk of which will not be driven much or take to meets. They get one time hype with tiny community vs a long lasting one.

2. 50 cars for rest of world is very unjust. It means countries besides Japan and Canada doesn't even get 1 car. Imagine people who loves the car wanting to get one but live in another country. That is cruel for car enthusiast.

3. If people are unhappy that they end up adding additional quantity, simply ask for refund. Someone else be happy to take it.

From my perspective as buyer and 2 time NC1 NSX owner. I purchased 2017 130R NSX without discount at $205k in early 2017 and my business partner picked one up same week as well. Later my wife picked up 2019 Berlina Black with discount for my birthday. As owner of many other super cars at one time or another. I was advocating for NSX all the time. The AWD drivetrain chief engineer Inoue San from Japan even messaged me with his business card and pics thanking my wife for making videos for NC1. We had a NC1 video that gone viral during first week of upload in Japan and reach million + view within days in Japanese language.

I love the 17 to 21 NC1, but hated the look, mainly the front end, car overall looks great. I tried really really hard to like it. What they did with the look on Type S even if it were just cosmetic update for 2022 model, I would had ordered another.

Dude.. share the video!
https://www.youtube.com/c/BatakoChannel

That be a bit off topic, but no problem, see link above:

We have not done videos for a long time due to covid last year, stopped around March, during that time we also found out we are adding another little one to family + wife is also very very busy with her business. Youtube was a fun project. Once I take delivery of my NSX Type S I ask her to make one more video.

Congrats on the new addition to the family, J! I don't see the 1M NC1 video but will look tonight. Very cool channel. Your wife is quite popular!
https://www.youtube.com/c/BatakoChannel

That be a bit off topic, but no problem, see link above:

We have not done videos for a long time due to covid last year, stopped around March, during that time we also found out we are adding another little one to family + wife is also very very busy with her business. Youtube was a fun project. Once I take delivery of my NSX Type S I ask her to make one more video.

I will bet anyone here that Honda/Acura will NOT increase the Type S NSX quantity from the announced 350 units +or - a few that are probably not to be sold. They will not sell 2022 NSXs that are none type S cars. Put your money where your mouth is. I am willing to bet up to $500. So who wants to take the bet? No one who has held a high level position of responsibility in a major international Corporation would do something like that, assuming they are currently a well respected organization.

Ya 350 is all they gonna make sorry to say don’t think they gonna all of a sudden change there mind. At the end of the day the NSX was always much more appreciated and loved after each generation was gone.

Congrats on the new addition to the family, J! I don't see the 1M NC1 video but will look tonight. Very cool channel. Your wife is quite popular!
Than you Ryu,

This is the one, there are a few other NC1 videos as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNSKPVcFqI&t=394s

I sold 19 NC1 last year and picked up Taycan Turbo S mainly because of 2 kids and anticipation for Type R or Type S announcement during 5th model year. Sure enough, wasn't off by too much with NSX.

I will bet anyone here that Honda/Acura will NOT increase the Type S NSX quantity from the announced 350 units +or - a few that are probably not to be sold. They will not sell 2022 NSXs that are none type S cars. Put your money where your mouth is. I am willing to bet up to $500. So who wants to take the bet? No one who has held a high level position of responsibility in a major international Corporation would do something like that, assuming they are currently a well respected organization.
McLaren plays shitty games with "one-off" "limited" run models all the time. It seems they've slowed down on their propensity to piss off existing owners as of late but it's not as uncommon as one may think.

You can look up the debacle that was the 675 LT release.

Just consider if you were buying a $170 to $195k car based upon the improvements and the limited sales, and then the manufacturer comes up with a dip shit plan to make more money at your expense. How would you feel?

Not as bad as I would feel if I put a deposit down in good faith and then was told, two months later after total silence, that I don't get a car because I was 3rd in line. But, I get what you're saying.

Am I the only one here that thinks this is crazy? Not everyone is so driven that short of going to jail, anyway you can make money is a good thing. This very greed is what has destroyed our businesses in the US. Every CEO in the US has to make 10 million while the people that add value to the product or service cannot afford to live without having a second job. I just don’t get it. So sad….

I don't think greed is driving this at all. A few hundred more NSXs is not going to move the needle on Honda's bottom line by any appreciable amount. Instead, I truly think they are trying to figure out how to do right by their customers- how to do the honorable thing, so to speak. They announced 350 cars, but then dealers accepted more deposits than there are build slots mostly because the process was janky and communication was poor. So now they have this population of customers that want the Type S, put money down and, if they stick to their initial build number, won't get it. They have to consider the brand reputation impact of this as well.

But more fundamentally, I think Honda corporate was caught completely by surprise by the demand. Unlike other car companies, who- to your point- will try to gouge as much money as possible out of a situation, I believe they are struggling with how to deal with this unexpected situation in a honorable way. Do they hold to the limit and piss off a lot of potential customers? (I can see the headlines already: "Acura finally makes the NSX great...and you can't have one.") Do they just build all of the deposits/orders on the books? Do they do what I suggested and open the order book until the end of the year, but only for paid-in-full customers? There are pros and cons to all of these options, and the ones we haven't thought about. I truly think Honda is struggling to chart the right path forward, which is why it's taking so long to hear anything.

Having 700 to ~800 cars which will still mean the car is extremely limited and still sell out. It will have far greater impact as for promoting brand and help setting up future anticipation for next NSX. When there are just 299, good chunk of which will not be driven much or take to meets. They get one time hype with tiny community vs a long lasting one.

I agree 100%. Whether they make 350 or 800 Type S cars, it is still very limited and a minority percentage of all NC1 production worldwide. Personally, I think there is more upside for the brand if they increase the builds, but that's just me. BTW, it's good to see you posting again, Jason.

no one is saying they will. Simple opinion and expressing what they should consider as clearly they underestimated the demand. This is enthusiast discussion forum, no need to read things out of context IMO.

It has nothing to do with being well respected organization what so ever either way they choose. Your opinion may differ, nothing wrong with that. You and I do not represent for everyone's opinion. End of the day, the love for the NSX is same, that is really what matters.

Back