• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

which year NSX is best, in your opinion?

^ AGAIN. This thead is which nsx is best.

Saying they are all slow so performance doesn't matter is worthless

Also an na2 is in the high 4's 0 to sixty which doesn't compare to a gt-r or zo6 however it still is half a second quicker then an na1 and you can tell the difference despite na1 owners claims to the contrary

Last edited:
53601-SL0-A04 * RACK ASSY., POWER STEERING 1997 NSX 5765.80 4324.35 Qty:**
53601-SL0-A04 * RACK ASSY., POWER STEERING 2005 NSX 5765.80 4324.35 Qty:**

This thread fails. Above are the part numbers for the 1997 rack versus the 2005 racks THEY ARE THE SAME RATIO

Instead of playing this bs debate on the computer why dont you go drive three nsx"s. A early coupe. A na2 1997- 2001. And a 2002-2005 na2 nsx

This thread is which nsx is BEST. Not which nsx is the best value. If it were best value then 1991-1992 or 1997 or 1998.

This thread is not which is most common if it was the answer would be 1991.

If this were the cheapest the the answer is an nsx with previous biddy or frame damage

I understand the tall or super long torso liking a coupe for the .75 inch extra headroom. But for everyone else. Stock for stock newer is better.. This is after all Honda we are talking about. There is cintinuous refinement going on. Despite the 1991 and 2005 roughly looking the same EVERY MAJOR COMPONENT and almost every detail of the car was improved. There are 10x more 1991-1994 nsxs then the later 1997-2oo5 na2's and the early ine are cheaper but not the best
The best is as in my 2nd or third post on this thread. The na2 coupes and zanardis. The the na2's then the na1's

the wiki needs to be corrected if that is the case. regardless it still has powersteering.

i have driven all generations and the ones without powersteering with tiny ass wheels were the best.

its not perfect, but none are... which is why i plan to mod... and it is the best base to build upon. few cars are worthy enough in stock form for me. could be something as minute as alignment settings, but there is always room for improvement.

i don't know what your expertise in cars is, but i spent over a decade building and racing cars... i have done rally, road race, and circle track cars.

I have driven an Zanardi and I can tell it is not faster than 2002+. Since I do have a special set of Type R suspension, I'm confident to say my car is lighter and will out handle the Z. But that's for another tread.:biggrin:

However hokey that may sound, which it indeed does (a 15rwhp bump given displacement and everything else equal sounds silly), all NSXs are still inherently slow, so the data is null and void. :biggrin:

If you're using which NSX is faster than the other NSX, you're missing the point of the NSX.

I'm not so sure I agree with that last part. The appeal of the NSX is that it is a fast car in a variety of situations (straight line, cornering, slaloming etc). With more horsepower (even just a few), it makes it that much faster of a car at any venue.

The NSX may very well be slow compared to newer cars in it's price range, but it's still a "fast" car: My car runs the 1/4 mile just about the same as an NSX and it is faster than everything else on the freeway, with that rare exception of a REALLY fast car.

Assuming comparisons between the same model years, the NSX stacks up nicely compared to Corvettes and 911s and pre F360 Ferraris, so I don't really see how it can be called a "slow" car.

As far as "mid 02" cars making more power, who knows? It's certainly possible that certain changes in the production methods may have changed mid-way through the model year. As to what they may have been (if they even actually happened), who knows? But it has happened before (snap rings, anyone?) and with more than just the NSX. But 295-302 at the wheels is a lot more than 15 horsepower. Intake and exhaust (no headers?) would yield what? 12-13 horsepower to the wheels? And a stock NA2 makes 250 at the wheels. 295-263=32. That is a HUGE number assuming that all the parts are the same. Not sure if anyone remembers this, but during the last year of the NSX, Acura's website actually rated all of their cars at 10 hp lower than what they were rated the year before (280 instead of 290 for the NSX, 290 instead of 300 for the RL etc).

the wiki needs to be corrected if that is the case. regardless it still has powersteering.

i have driven all generations and the ones without powersteering with tiny ass wheels were the best.

its not perfect, but none are... which is why i plan to mod... and it is the best base to build upon. few cars are worthy enough in stock form for me. could be something as minute as alignment settings, but there is always room for improvement.

I agree. I once had the power steering belt on my truck break and while it was a pain to park, I noticed that I could drive it much faster through winding mountain roads (Sepulveda Pass, Topanga Canyon, Las Virgines, etc). I don't know if I'd even want to deal with no power steering at this point in life, but as far as the driving experience, it's absence makes improves the fun factor a lot. I also have had my fill of open topped vehicles. They are GREAT for cruising around and the occasional spirited sprint to the redline, but for true performance and consistency, a coupe is the only way to go for me. Also, as S.O.S. has pretty much cornered the market on the C30, most of their best offerings are not available on the C32B. And if you're going for a stroker, it doesn't matter what the displacement was before hand, only what it winds up being.

But, to be honest, if I could find a LHD 2002 Type S or Type R, that would be my starting platform (since it has all the performance updates and it's still a coupe).

Last edited:
But, to be honest, if I could find a LHD 2002 Type S or Type R, that would be my starting platform (since it has all the performance updates and it's still a coupe).

During NSX Fiesta last year, we all got to drive NSX-Rs and Type Ss around Suzuka. Awesome awesome awesome. I think if Honda (rather Acura) offered the Type R (which they should have), we'd all be owning Type Rs or in the market for one and maybe not so interested in modding (nah!)

NSX-R_Suzuka.JPG

just for the record, dynoed my 97 on a very conservative Dyno @ 260 at the wheels when STOCK, did constantly 147 to 153mph @ a standing mile on mine with exhaust and test pipes.

The same day, many cars were running mid 150's to low 160's, but all those cars were over 400HP.

During NSX Fiesta last year, we all got to drive NSX-Rs and Type Ss around Suzuka. Awesome awesome awesome. I think if Honda (rather Acura) offered the Type R (which they should have), we'd all be owning Type Rs or in the market for one and maybe not so interested in modding (nah!)

NSX-R_Suzuka.JPG

This is probably appropriate for a separate thread, but... what did you notice different on the Type-S and Type-R. Did they feel competitive with their contemporaries?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rbZ00YXJ1Xg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heres the vid :biggrin:

During NSX Fiesta last year, we all got to drive NSX-Rs and Type Ss around Suzuka. Awesome awesome awesome.

Jealous, jealous, jealous!

That ROCKS...& would have been worth the whole cost of the trip in itself!!!

(Nice pic!)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rbZ00YXJ1Xg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heres the vid :biggrin:

I first saw this video a couple of months ago and was blown away by how quick of a time the Type S Zero made in the 400m.

Weighing in at 2850ish pounds, with 290 hp, it seems fair to say that the power to weight ratio makes it competitive with some of today's faster cars (in the 911 territory, not 458 or LP560 territory).

I first saw this video a couple of months ago and was blown away by how quick of a time the Type S Zero made in the 400m.

Weighing in at 2850ish pounds, with 290 hp, it seems fair to say that the power to weight ratio makes it competitive with some of today's faster cars (in the 911 territory, not 458 or LP560 territory).

well of course the ultimate platform is cars we can't have. :biggrin:

power to weight doesn't quite add up to being competitive with more than a base 911/ cayman S/ boxster S. i watched those best motoring videos and it is an ego boost to NSX owners, but its clearly fixed.

tsuchiya is an amazing driver and can push cars way faster than normally possible, if he wants to.

well of course the ultimate platform is cars we can't have. :biggrin:

power to weight doesn't quite add up to being competitive with more than a base 911/ cayman S/ boxster S. i watched those best motoring videos and it is an ego boost to NSX owners, but its clearly fixed.

tsuchiya is an amazing driver and can push cars way faster than normally possible, if he wants to.

Mmmmm... I think that a comparison is only really viable if we know that the car is being pushed to it's maximum limit. Otherwise, the data is tainted. That's why people talk about a "driver's race" when comparing two cars that put down similar numbers.

It's also worth noting that Tsuchiya was not the one who clocked the 12.4 or the 12.7.

Mmmmm... I think that a comparison is only really viable if we know that the car is being pushed to it's maximum limit. Otherwise, the data is tainted. That's why people talk about a "driver's race" when comparing two cars that put down similar numbers.

It's also worth noting that Tsuchiya was not the one who clocked the 12.4 or the 12.7.

i'm not talking about the drag racing, its the circuit battle i am talking about... but still the show is fixed. i attended a few of the tapings and its all set-up. the cars still need to perform, but its set up to advance the cars they want to see battle it out in the end and make for good tv. i used to love the show, so i'm not criticizing, but i also pay attention at the end when they list the "Time Attack" time to see which car is actually fastest.

You'll be surprised how much better your NSX-T is set up with Type R suspension and sway bars. The chassis rigidity between Cpe and T plays very little unless you take it on to the track.

i'm not talking about the drag racing, its the circuit battle i am talking about... but still the show is fixed. i attended a few of the tapings and its all set-up. the cars still need to perform, but its set up to advance the cars they want to see battle it out in the end and make for good tv. i used to love the show, so i'm not criticizing, but i also pay attention at the end when they list the "Time Attack" time to see which car is actually fastest.

Fair enough... but in this case, it's just a bunch of NSXs being compared to see what differences are there. What's the point of "fixing" this particular show? Besides that, the results are fairly predictable, no real surprises with how the cars did on the road course.

LOL, like Hattori short shifting the Lambo at 4000 rpm. I love Best Motoring, but I agree you have to take the "races" with a grain of salt. I really wish they would release all of the NSX special editions with english subtitles!

As some of you know my take on this, NSXs produced after May of 2002. So far almost all the dyno numbers are showing around 15 HP more then the NA2 prior. My 2003 with only Intake and Exhaust dyno'd at three different systems, 295 to 302 to the wheels. All three events were dyno'd with other NSXs, includes NA1. By far, 2002 1/2 all have more RWP.

I really would like to see more proof of this. It sounds intriguing.

You'll be surprised how much better your NSX-T is set up with Type R suspension and sway bars. The chassis rigidity between Cpe and T plays very little unless you take it on to the track.

So...what are you saying...that there are people who DON'T take them to the track?

I've NEVER heard of those kind of people....so what do they do with their cars then?

Are these the same kinda guys that marry supermodels, then never have sex with them?

SHAMEFUL!

:D

Last edited:
So...what are you saying...that there are people who DON'T take them to the track?

I've NEVER heard of those kind of people....so what do they do with their cars then?

Are these the same kinda guys that marry supermodels, then never have sex with them?

SHAMEFUL!

hey it happens, i highly doubt Bernie Ecclestone is doing anything with his supermodel...

I have a T and the newer type R susp and its a great track setup for my needs ,the T with the roof on and windows down is just fine.

hey it happens, i highly doubt Bernie Ecclestone is doing anything with his supermodel...

What a waste. :D (I mean Bernie...not this supermodel.)

SHAMEFUL!

The question is, how good can you maximize your car. Unless you are a racing driver by trade, I don't think it matters that much. There was a Best Motoring from 1995 showing the NSX-T with auto tranny was not as significantly slower than a standard couple as some people like to make it out to be, and it was driven by racing drivers. I believe it was off by about 3 seconds a lap. Keep in mind that it was an automatic.

I really would like to see more proof of this. It sounds intriguing.
If you are ever in S. Cal, come and drive my car.

I told myself I wouldn't chime in on another one of these threads but here we go again...

You can really stiffen up the chassis with some reinforcement on the targa and it does transform the car, then you get the best of both worlds in my opinion. The only downside is that you can't eliminate the targa cover if you want to expose the engine or for weight savings, at least not if you want to be able to keep the functionality of having a targa. I know you can put it in the trunk but that's not really a good option.

Back