• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who else is getting beat by the economy?!

Captain downgraded to First Officer. 40% pay cut, but Quality of Life improved dramatically. I went from a bottom, reserve Captain (last 6 years I had only moved up 20 spots on the seniority list) to bidding #5/800 as a FO. I now get all the days off I bid and no more overnights. I basically work 8am - 1pm and fly CVG to someplace in FL (MIA, FLL, TPA, MCO, RSQ, SRQ, PBI) and back and am done for the day.

Next month I am going to bid reserve and be the #1 resreve guy and hopefully will only have to go to work 1-2 days a month (but still get paid min guarantee 75hrs).

So... if I can find an alternate source of income or a Sugar Momma then life will be grand (well expect for putting up with some of our nut job/asshole Captains for the day).

Last edited:
Has anyone ever thought of being a sperm donor?

I will neither confirm nor deny that I am or not.

Umm, ok.

If this isn't the sign of rock bottom hard times then I don't know what is: enthusiasts hitting sperm banks so they can continue to make a good motorsports showing in the coming season.

I guess their is a side benefit: better hand dexterity gives that added steering input competitive edge as well.

::SIGH::

...but Quality of Life improved dramatically. I now get all the days off I bid and no more overnights. I basically work 8am - 1pm and fly CVG to someplace in FL (MIA, FLL, TPA, MCO, RSQ, SRQ, PBI) and back and am done for the day.
congrats on the "downgrade"!

so few people appreciate the value of a quality, well-lived life over one that is filled with stress and anxiety in the name of "making more money".

money's nice, but compared to actually living life, it's highly overrated.

That link nails it pretty well.

The very first management position I had, the person interviewing me asked me, in light of the job I was applying for, and all of the experienced applicants he had, why should he even consider me?

I looked him in the eye, and without hesitation, I said, there are two reasons. First, I didn't have the bad habits or temperament that could be a roll of the dice with a more experienced applicant, and secondly, you won't find anyone that will try harder.

I got the job. Wonder how many fresh applicants today, when cited with the same question, say?

I am getting nailed pretty well. I live in Detroit....and sell technology to many of the auto suppliers here.....'nuf said.....I dream about selling my home and taking a transfer to Texas or the Carolinas.....but I would lose $300K on my home that I have owned for almost 10 years !(that is if I could even find a buyer for it)...:mad:

Last edited:
I don't know if you're joking but I seriously am thinking about making decals!

I've been unemployed since Oct 9th from the aftermarket automotive industry. I'm activly looking for work but it's just not out there. The only thing getting me through this is the fact that my wife is a CPA at a larger firm doing well. What's tough is trying to stay positive and hopeful that something will come...soon. :frown:

I'm not kidding. I have a small decal machine and i've been doing little jobs here and there for gas and food money. Luckily my wife has a pretty good job. I used to sell a lot of car parts online and was profiting over $300-400 a day but now sometimes I don't even get an order in a week. It's been pretty bad. So I went back to work as a tech but now i'm looking for jobs again...

I got laid off from my dream job as a Car Designer at Ford Motor Company last July. But its actually been kind of a blessing. I fell into a freelance design gig...I now work full time from home...and make better money. I just never know how long it will last for sure though.
My wife graduated from law school and passed the Bar exam last spring...and is still looking for work. Its just a crap job market out there.
Also, I've had my house on the market now for 9 months because we wanted to upgrade a bit....2 people have looked at it in that time...which is actually better than my friend down the street that has had his house on the market for over 2 years and has had one person come through it.

Much of the problem here is that the US economy used to be production and service of said produced items. Now, the US economy is based on sales and the flow of credit to support said sales.

I sit and wonder if in the future, if in the job market a well stocked tool box and a good pair of hands will be worth more than product knowledge and a college degree.........

My business is basically composed of two sector: Hookah bar and Cigars. Cigars was dropped by 60% and Hookah stay the same. The over all business is down about 20%. I'm getting by, just no more play money for now. just two years ago, I was able to take days off and now, I've to work much harder to save money on employees.

Bummer.

I know who is not affected by this economy.. my neighbor who just bought a new Lotus Elise, yesterday. I guess it isn't affecting all of us.

What does he do (or not do) ? Actually an awesome time to buy just about anything, if you have the money.

I think I'm the only one here NOT hit my the economy... I'm hit by something else.

The pending ACTOR STRIKE. Which none of you probably know about yet... but since June, the Actor's Union (SAG) has been "threatening" to go on strike and NOBODY wants to film any movies/tv shows because they could go on strike at any time (its been worse than the Writer's Strike of last winter).

Apparently there are a ton of projects just waiting for the actors situation to be over with... so when the actors (not really the actors.,. they don't want to strike.. only the president of the union wants to strike, and Mel Gibson) settle this.... I will get to go back to a lot of plentiful work!

Think about it... everybody is unemployed... at home watching TV.... ahhh! llol

Shame on the unions for even considering going on strike when the economy is the way it is. This is a classic example of why a lot of americans hate the unions. Be lucky you have a job and have not been laid off. I have never seen such greed and stupidity ever:mad:

Last year was my best year ever. This year is shaping up to be even better.

I am a Certified Financial Planner. I know that there are many "financial advisors" who are absolutely getting slaughtered out there. If you are in the financial business, get your education done now. If you are only licensed,(life/Series 2/62/7) you will be out of the business if this continues.

People want advice, and a plan, and you can't effectively do either unless you are an RIA or a CFP/CHFC etc....

45% of the advisors in the financial business in January 2000, were gone by July 2001.

We are seeing this again. However, many older guys are retiring, so call the older ones, develope a relationship with them, and then you can service their clients when they retire.

I have done this ever since I started in the business and it has worked well.

I may be hiring in LA and Vegas, so if your licensed, PM me and lets talk.

That link nails it pretty well.

The very first management position I had, the person interviewing me asked me, in light of the job I was applying for, and all of the experienced applicants he had, why should he even consider me?

I looked him in the eye, and without hesitation, I said, there are two reasons. First, I didn't have the bad habits or temperament that could be a roll of the dice with a more experienced applicant, and secondly, you won't find anyone that will try harder.

I got the job. Wonder how many fresh applicants today, when cited with the same question, say?

you rock bro:)

Jack

What does he do (or not do) ? Actually an awesome time to buy just about anything, if you have the money.

it's great, the prices of the 2006-2007 RL's I am shopping for are incredible...low $20's and in some cases high teens for something that was $50k not too long ago...

Well I had a 65 foot yacht on order and I had to compromise and reduce my order to a 60 footer. :frown: The good news is they can still fit the helicopter pad on top though.

All kidding aside I think most everyone on the site knows I have lost a substantial amount of money in the stock market this year. We are seeing rents a little harder to collect. The payments (rents) that come from the government are a little later than they use to be.

I am receiving near nothing now in dividends where I use to have a lot of monthly income from that source. But we are expanding our business and making it up on that side... although the cap gains is much more pleasant to pay tax on than the earned income.

Lol Steve , ordinary income=extraordinary taxes:frown:

Shame on the unions for even considering going on strike when the economy is the way it is. This is a classic example of why a lot of americans hate the unions. Be lucky you have a job and have not been laid off. I have never seen such greed and stupidity ever:mad:

I know!! Ha... think again.. I've been laid off for 2 months! Just need to ride it out...

My business is basically composed of two sector: Hookah bar and Cigars. Cigars was dropped by 60% and Hookah stay the same. The over all business is down about 20%. I'm getting by, just no more play money for now. just two years ago, I was able to take days off and now, I've to work much harder to save money on employees.

Bummer.

Which Hookah bars in LA are yours? I have a lot of family in LA that frequent hookah bars. Just wondering if tis anything I've been to and/or they've heard of.

Upstream oil production. Haven't see a drop off yet in our fields, but the situation will change dramatically in the next 5-6 months if oil prices stay at their current levels.

Back