• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

who has this fuel pump?

With the labour required to install a fuel pump being so expensive, I wouldn't cheap out $65 on a no name pump.

As LarryB said it's a 4-5 hour job and a dealer will likely charge $400-500 for it.
I agree with the goku, it makes no sense at all to spend $500 on labour and then risk installing a no name pump?
That's like doing a timing belt and installing a cheap knock off belt.

An oem pump looks like its $355 on the Delray parts fiche. so where did you find an oem pump for just over $100?

In any event I can understand the dealer not wanting to install a generic pump.
My dealer's service manager wouldn't install substandard parts in an NSX either.

With the labour required to install a fuel pump being so expensive, I wouldn't cheap out $65 on a no name pump.

This also was my thought, but the 65qty sold has to mean something... i figured someone must be using this and reviewed it and then people jumped on the train... which is fine with me, just wanted some info before hand. i guess i will be tackling this job...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSAN-DENSO-JAPANESE-OEM-MAZDA-RX-7-ACURA-NSX-FUEL-PUMP-951-0011-/260986654202?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc4044dfa&vxp=mtr

The 65 sold are probably because the jobber pump crosses over to other cars - I've used jobber pumps in other cars int eh past and had nothing but headaches.

I have a used walboro 255 I just pulled off the car so I can run E85 I will sell for 75.00 shipped. It was good up to 500 RWHP and has about 1500 miles on it.
Ken

i have a couple practically new walbro pumps sitting around here from my old turbo cars. wanted a stock style pump. i'm just going to buy the denso unit i posted on post #4. the walbros made a fair amount of noise in my cars being rewired for full power at 13.5 v. for me i am not interested in the walbro in this car unless i go FI, which i'm not... I'm actually loving the N/A. lots of fun to drive

Last edited:
i was just reading some posts about the denso unit. I see they draw more current than the walbro or stock pump?? I'm not a fan of that.

what are you guys using for OE standard replacement pumps? not everyone can be using the walbro kits, right??

Is there some reason you would not use an OEM replacement? They seem to last a minimum of about 20 years!!

HTH,
LarryB

Is there some reason you would not use an OEM replacement? They seem to last a minimum of about 20 years!!

HTH,
LarryB

Yes mainly to save a couple bucks... i see no harm in using a OE standard fuel pump on a N/A car if its recognized and people have had good luck with it. i didn't get to this point in life to be able to afford this car by spending my money frivolously, that's for sure. i like OEM for timing components and water pumps, but if there is a good part for a 1/4 of the price of OEM, i'm all in.

OH GOD!!!

A POS $100 pump to do a $300-400 labor install that could cost you a $5000-7000 motor.

Where is the logic here?

- - - Updated - - -

OEM or Denso Supra (for FI cars)

i could be wrong but i never heard of a N/A car blowing a motor, headgasket, etc from a bad fuel pump??? worst case scenario is replacing it again which is not what i want to do. If i have to buy OEM i will, i just feel i get bent over ever time i go to the dealer...

If i have to buy OEM i will, i just feel i get bent over ever time i go to the dealer...

Nobody is saying you have to buy an OEM pump.
Buy the one on eBay for $35 if that's what you think is the right thing to do for your NSX.

I think what other owners are trying to say is there's places to save on parts on an NSX and there's places where it's not worth nickel and diming.
A fuel pump and timing belt are two examples of major jobs done infrequently and you don't want to have to redo them before their time.
As LarryB says an oem pump is good for about 20 years (mine is the 23 year old original )and costs about $250 more than a generic unit.

That's $12.50 a year for the peace of mind you are not going to be stranded on a road somewhere, paying a tow truck, trying to find another eBay pump, and the only shop around is Bubba's Garage specializing in 4 x 4 pickups.

Sorry if I came off harsh. I was merely expressing my own frustrations with having to remove the Walbro 255 after it failed after only about 13k miles. That's 2x dropping the tank. That's 1 time wasted money on the dyno. That's 1 time wasted $ for tuning... another day off work... you get the picture. I guess if you don't value your time you can afford to take chances.

I'm just saying... in the NSX.. it's just not worth it to skimp on money here.

Sorry if I came off harsh. I was merely expressing my own frustrations with having to remove the Walbro 255 after it failed after only about 13k miles. That's 2x dropping the tank. That's 1 time wasted money on the dyno. That's 1 time wasted $ for tuning... another day off work... you get the picture. I guess if you don't value your time you can afford to take chances.

I'm just saying... in the NSX.. it's just not worth it to skimp on money here.

no worries... In this case since i am not installing this part, which is not like me at all. i do all my own work, i've rebuilt pretty much every component on a car/truck. Jeeps,DSM's and Motorcycles have been in most of my life. I will just go with the OEM and save some headaches. I have no time to twist wrenches the last few years. i have twin 2 year old daughters and work that consumes most my time.

its just hard to believe there isn't a better alternative to the OEM, that is reliable. this having to remove the tank for a fuel pump is new to me, normally under 30 min job in a car with access.

Back