• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who, like me, knew since its first appearance that one day you would buy an NSX?

Since its 1990 release, I knew that this car would be very special for me* and that I would buy one in the future.

So just for fun, who like me knew it since you saw it for the first time? ( about the NSX )

If not tell us...

* I feel the same about the Mc Laren F1 first appearance in 1994 magazines but I am a little short when looking at my $aving$
biggrin.gif

I use to motocross race back in the day and one of the guys I looked up to (jeremy mcgrath) had an nsx and when i saw it I thought it was a ferrari, until my friend told me what it was. I instantly fell in love and will own one.

------------------
picture.JPG

94 Supra TT bpu+++

[This message has been edited by sonik (edited 03 October 2002).]

Originally posted by effer:
Who, like me, knew since its first appearance that one day you would buy an NSX?

I put a deposit on one in 1986, when the rumors of its development first started. What took you so long?
biggrin.gif

Count me in. I simply LOVED it from day 1. I always thought that it was out of my reach (it just looked like a million dollar car to me) until recently when I realized that I can afford one. This is the toughest part (waiting for having my own).

I have to admit I never considered owning an NSX. 911 Turbo, Ferraris, Lotus, Viper - they were all on my wish list but I always remembered the car reviews that said the NSX was "too perfect, too refined, lacked soul", etc. I owned a 96 Viper RT/10 for about year, had a blast then sold it. For some reason I still don't quite understand I bought a '92 NSX on the spur of the moment a month ago and I love it. If this car lacks soul then I'll sell mine to the devil so I can own one for the rest of my life.

when i was 16 as a bagboy working at this one supermarket and one day i was out collecting shopping carts i found a prochure of the NSX with the cut out poster. boy, i was so in love with the car... and so i told myself that one day i will own one. i didn't get mine until 8 years later.

I test drove the 91, (Auto) and a 911 turbo
came around me like I was standing still at
90MPH, I bought a 911. I always looked at the
NSX from a distance, I have 2 friends that had them and have since bought 911's one a turbo and one NA. They both gave up their NSX's. I bought my NSX after seeing that the cars are proven. They were from day 1. Now
my friends are looking at the NSX's again. I still have the 911, but this is just different. Exotic, I have not seen the simple upkeep side. But I truly wish I had bought the car sooner.
Len
n9s5x-t

I liked the NSX ever since it came out.
I saw its model kit since I was a kid. and I wanted or feel I'm gonna get it one day..
its like almost 10 yrs ago.

but some times I feel I will never get it. but fate enters and fulfilled my dream..

[This message has been edited by BostonNSX (edited 03 October 2002).]

Yep, me. I have always wanted an exotic, ever since high school. But I'm sufficiently practical to understand the ownership costs that come with most exotics (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.)

When I heard that Honda, good ol' reliable Honda, was making an exotic, I knew that someday I would own this car. And lo it has come to pass...

-Bob

I first saw it in car mags around 1990(?) when the car was first coming out. Then I saw it at the San Diego Auto Show that year. Being an Integra owner at the time, I naturally had an attraction toward it. I never thought that I'd own one, new or used, so the thought never crossed my mind of buying one. (Felt it was too much out of my $$$$ range.)

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I remember clearly when I first sat on the NSX in 1992. Red exterior with black interior on the display. One thing that I am curious is that the advertisement on the dealer said that NSX was not detectable (anti-radar) by radar (one of the reasons I want to buy the car
smile.gif
). Does anyone remember the display ads at that time?

An affordable car for me, but ridiculous insurance rate at that time (I was 18). It's been my dream car since then. Finally, got my baby 2 months ago (the full coverage insurance only costs me ~$700/year now)
smile.gif

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 9k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 4k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 95k miles and running strong :)

I've wanted one ever since high school, when I saw photos of a clay model prototype in the car mags. Up until then my dream car was a Countach. Like many others, I never thought I could afford one. It wasn't until after an impulse Mustang purchase that I checked prices and realized they were within my price range. I regret buying the Mustang, for there could be two NSX's parked in my garage right now!

Originally posted by insx:
One thing that I am curious is that the advertisement on the dealer said that NSX was not detectable (anti-radar) by radar (one of the reasons I want to buy the car
smile.gif
). Does anyone remember the display ads at that time?

I saw pretty much all the display ads at that time, at dealers and in the media, and I don't recall ever seeing such a claim.

Well in 1990 a good friend gave me the hard cover book with the silver plate as a Christmas gift that year. I read it more times then I could count, and always felt it was a dream, but way out of my price range, so I let it go.

Most of you guys know I was very much into Porsches, owned 5 over from 1985 - 1998. When I sold my 911 in 1998 I was looking for a C2, when one day I saw an ad for an NSX.

It all came back to me. I searched high and low for THAT book. (My wife and I had moved three times between 1990-1998, so it was a job to find it!) I did found it, reviewed it and said, "WOW, I can actually buy one of these!" Went for a 3 mile test drive.

Drooled alot, and searched a few weeks until there was the Blk/Blk 1991 in my driveway.

So yeah, somehow I knew it was in the cards, just took me 9 years!!

LarryB

I remember that claim really clear because that was one of the reasons I wanted to buy the car. I read the ads description over and over to make sure, and looked around the exterior of the car to find this "stealth" device. By the way, the dealer is in Columbus, Ohio. http://www.acuracolumbus.com/

I put a deposit down in 1990 after seeing one at the Toronto Auto Show.

The anti-stealth observation was made in Car and Driver about mid engine cars in general. The lack of a large metallic mass (that would be the engine) in the front was thought to reduce radar range but the vertical positioning of the radiator means the car is average in this respect.

[This message has been edited by Soichiro (edited 03 October 2002).]

Yup - Since I first heard of the NSX in 1990 I wanted one, however I was 15 at the time
smile.gif

It was 9 years later before I actually owned one, and it was worth the wait -

I wanted one after the first time I ever saw it. My dad was inlove with the car and took me to see it. That was back in 90 (i was 14) I think. I have wanted one ever since. I finally got one and my got got a vette. Poor guy
smile.gif

I can still remember the first published pictures of the prototype (blue) back in '89 or '90. I first sat in one in a showroom in Des Moines in '91 and told the salesman I'd be getting one someday. Yeah, right, he thought. Funny, how I don't have a hard-on for the DN-X

Thanks Soichiro,
Now, you know that stealth mode ad was not only in my dream.
Ken, you must have missed that ads.
It's been over 10 years; is that claim for real?

[This message has been edited by insx (edited 03 October 2002).]

The first time I saw the car mag's prototype tests in 1989, I knew that someday I had to have one. Before that, I had my sights on the previous generation ('87-'92) Supra Turbo, but once I saw the NSX prototype article, that model Supra never crossed my mind again. Throughout the years, due to to the NSX's price, I thought about lowering my sights to the '93+ Supra Turbo or M3. But, as the NSX's depreciation curve and my income curve started to converge, I held off on the others. I started saving for a '97T. Then, in '99, I attended NSXPO '99. I couldn't wait any longer, and within 2 months, and got a '92.
biggrin.gif

-Ben

Originally posted by insx:
Thanks Soichiro,
Now, you know that stealth mode ad was not only in my dream.
Ken, you must have missed that ads.
It's been over 10 years; is that claim for real?

I guess you didn't read Soichiro's post closely. The claims were not made in an ad; they were made in a magazine. They were not made for the NSX; they were made for all mid-engine cars. It was merely conjecture (guesswork), and it turned out to be wrong.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I put a deposit on one in 1986, when the rumors of its development first started. What took you so long?
biggrin.gif

Well, in 1986 I was pretty much teared apart: one half of myself learning and struggling in finding its way to the ovule and the other half quietly waiting for the other half arrival...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

In Canada we can legally drive at sixteen years old...

Of course this is almost all BS for my joke purpose, in 86 I was already 22. Back to '86 do you still have stuff from that year?

I still have the first NSX brochure, first poster ( one side showing the black NSX and the other showing a drawing of a red black ivory NSX ), car and driver magazine with its first non prototype NSX road test in 1990.

For myself the first time I heard about the NSX was in 1989...at this time I was still a student...

Back