• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why do people need spare tires?

I was browsing the for sale section and it struck me how every time a person offers a spare for sale it is quickly snapped up,are people buying used cars that don't have spares,or are they not reuseable because folks can't get them to collapse?Inquiring minds need to know.

I sold mine because I put my NSX on a diet and figured if I got a flat, id tow it anyways.:wink:

Not why do you need to sell Mike, I'm curious as to the reasons so many need the spares.

docjohn said:
Not why do you need to sell Mike, I'm curious as to the reasons so many need the spares.

as a guy that makes his living off pre-owned cars, you be shocked how many cars need spare tires, jacks, tool kits, missing spare keys/remotes, owners manuals and the list goes on and on.

You'd also be shocked how many cars come in with broken radios and cracked winshields. Id say, 1/4:frown: But then again, thats probably why people trade them in.

docjohn said:

John, when was the last time you had a flat in the middle of nowhere, with poor or no cell phone reception - i.e., where the NSXs should be driven ....... and had to wait for AAA or a tow truck from Billy Bob and hopefully a flat bed .......... :wink:

So I guess we need to ask people A)Asuming all nsx's started with a spare and so many are needed where are they?B)Are there piles of oem inflatable spares in junkyards all over the land,or maybe in Hrants' backyard,or at bridgwater acura:wink:

Maybe they buy four spare tires and mount them instead of the OEM wheels. :tongue::D

I would think that over the years many owners have removed the spare to "lighten" the car and have ended up selling the car without the spare. I think that people now buying the cars used start off wanting to replace those missing pieces (spares, jacks/pumps, etc.) to replace all the OEM stuff. Then they very quickly get the BUG and start removing for weight reduction and adding aftermarket goodies.:wink:

and may I add putting yellow paint to various parts of the car (docjohn):biggrin:

docjohn said:
I was browsing the for sale section and it struck me how every time a person offers a spare for sale it is quickly snapped up,are people buying used cars that don't have spares,or are they not reuseable because folks can't get them to collapse?Inquiring minds need to know.

Likely people with early models with them either missing or damaged as mentioned. The tire itself can no longer be purchased as I understand it. Further, a lot of the original spares are getting really old, and even if they inflate their actual load bearing capability and safety are questionable at best.

Hrant said:
John, when was the last time you had a flat in the middle of nowhere, with poor or no cell phone reception - i.e., where the NSXs should be driven ....... and had to wait for AAA or a tow truck from Billy Bob and hopefully a flat bed .......... :wink:

A handful of times. The OE spare can be a godsend for limping into town at night or on Holidays when service is MIA, or in areas without cell coverage. Sometimes finding and even worse getting loaded onto a flatbed is impossible or a PITA experience from whoever shows up. In my case, it might not even happen until I mark and manually change the ride height. On long trips I always take the spare plus a small bag of essential tools 'just in case' as I don't have run flat's.

However, factory spares or run flat's are only a temporary fix for limited miles, and flatbeds only go so far before coverage expires. Any incident when you're really far from home will put a damper on a trip unless you can inevitably find proper replacement parts.

Since many have aftermarket setups and even worse directional tires this can be a real issue. Obviously the Les Scwab in Lincoln City, OR doesn't see the value in stocking a $419 foot wide summer tire... so it can often become a multi-day event while awaiting for a priority replacment from home, tirerack or another store anyways- as you can't limp around on the spare forever. In the past I've just tried to make the best of it and play tourist, but maybe I really should have just stuffed an extra unmounted front in the trunk is what ran though my mind at the time.

Last edited:
ANYTIME said:
I would think that spares are needed because once used, there is no way to get them back to the compact size they once were :biggrin:

Is this really a problem? We had a rear let go yesterday and had to put on the spare. Jack set and pump all worked as described, and the little orange spare got us home.

So am I going to have fits trying to get this thing deflated and stuffed back in the bonnet?

Yes you will.

I don't know about others' reasons for buying a fresh spare, but the spare tire on my NSX had enough dry rot that I was not comfortable with it, prompting me to purchase a newer one for my own peace of mind.

docjohn said:
So I guess we need to ask people A)Asuming all nsx's started with a spare and so many are needed where are they?B)Are there piles of oem inflatable spares in junkyards all over the land,or maybe in Hrants' backyard,or at bridgwater acura:wink:

Have had three 16D nails thus far all on the rears, all within city limits, and managed without resorting to the spare tire yet. That was enough for me to decide having a spare was important ....

Same thing happened when I bought my 91, owner had removed the spare. Had to have him ship it to me. Still waiting for the mounting bolt/bracket?

Anybody have one that aren't using?

thanks.

Keith

I keep it cause I'm a daily driver. If I was a track or weekend person, I would have removed them in a heartbeat. Same reason I still have my Engine bay Cover... I'm use to taking it off and want to store it. So people remove things per their prefereance, and some keep them.

On a side note, many 91-96 NSX owners have upgraded to 97+ Brakes. You will notice that 97+ NSX Spares end up going very quickly if they are listed for sale, primarily for this reason. Because 91-96 spares will not fit the bigger brakes.

smithk3933 said:
Anybody have one that aren't using?

Keith

Actually I think I still have the extra one from that came with the new spare I got. PM me if you'd like to discuss :tongue:

comtec said:
Best defense for this is to buy a cellular phone instead of PCS. And try to stay near main thoughfares.

Yes but I LOVE going into the california boondocks out in the sierra nevada mountains for long spirited drives...

KooLaid said:
Yes but I LOVE going into the california boondocks out in the sierra nevada mountains for long spirited drives...

Man that sounds like fun. I pickup mine in 1 week. :tongue:

KooLaid said:
Some guy I had a pissing war with here on prime said that the spare is foldable after inflating. Or atleast he mentioned he was able to fold HIS back.....

weird; mine went back exactly as it was before inflating when i deflated it... honestly :confused:

I bought a new spare because my spare threw off a bunch of tread after using it and driving on it for 80miles at 50mph!

Back