• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is the Porsche Cayman better then the NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people want to spend 70 to 100k for a car that isn't very good quality and everybody in town with a bachelors degree is driving, Good for them! whatever makes them happy, after all this is the USA and we are free to like and buy most of what we want :smile:

BTW the porsche cayman is butt freekin ugly and the boxter is a ridiculous automobile,take the engine out to change the oil, there's a good idea! :rolleyes:

I am the owner of both an NSX and a 1985 911 Carrera. I love them both! I appreciate them for the fact that they are very different cars. Some days I feel like driving the NSX, and on other days I drive the Carrera. Who says you can't have everything!

I find that both cars have their strengths and weaknesses, and that's fine with me. One is more luxurious, the other is a bit spartan. But they are both a blast to drive. However, when the temperature here in New Mexico gets above 95F, I park the Porsche! (The 911 a/c can't keep up with the temps above 95F.)

Enjoy your sports cars... whatever the marque!

I do not know exactly the cross section of Prime members, but if you read the threds you can tell that there are persons that have enough money to buy whatever car they want and there are thoes that are happy to be able to buy a car that performs like the NSX does for around 30k, the cost of a cars of this type is in the upkeep and usage, you can spend 30k on a Honda Accord but it doesn't cost 3k for a clutch like an NSX does, the previous owner of my car decided that it was too rich for his blood when the dealer quoted him 700$ for an inner door handle.

In my experance working on Porsches and knowing persons that own them, Porsches are not as reliable as an NSX and cost more to own.

I personaly don't care for Porsches, I do like the way BMWs drive but I would NEVER own one, the Germans take great pride in designing very complex systems and mechanical devices, but when they break get out your checkbook.

As for where does everybody drive a Porsche? where I live! Everyday I see 20 or more 911,993,996,boxter type cars on the road, in the parking garage at my wifes work she counted 28 one morning. around here porsches are like Honda Civics ..everybodys got one!...If you like the car than go buy it, but I personaly don't feel the need to buy a new car cuz I need one that is a few seconds faster on a track somewhere...JZ

zahntech said:
the Germans take great pride in designing very complex systems and mechanical devices, but when they break get out your checkbook.
And the parts book!
Amen to that brother. You said it.

This thread has taken a wild turn indeed.
Truth of the matter is, CerbM5 was not happy with his stock 04 and its susp.
He changed it in the wrong direction making it worse.
Funky springs and wrong sized wheels and tires.
He has since condemned the car.
(I guess it was his 1st time setting up a cars susp & got it wrong)
Now he thinks he loves a car most here are very familiar with
but could care less about. Its really a sad state of affairs.
One ride in my car and he would get it.
Till then, I guess we just have to put up with it.
As far as why folks here drive this "old" car?
If you have to ask, you missed the point.
And yes I could have easily purchased a more expensive sports car.
But I don't think I could have purchased a better sports car.
Its all in what you want. The steering, cornering ability, Alum body, looks and maint. did it for me.
To each his own. And you don't see me on the P boards knocking cars.
This will be my last response to any of CerbM5's posts.
Not sure if he is a troll now? Or just a bitter prev owner of an ill handling NSX.
In any case, AMF.

CerberusM5 said:
You apparently have not spent much time discovering the characteristics of the NSX's handling at and past the limit of adhesion. Once the NSX crosses this point, it can be a handful and is not very easy to bring back in line.

Actually I spent a lot of time at the limit of adhesion. Read my sig line. Lateral Gs are what I live for. I'm always tinkering with the car's setup to see how high I can get it. A recent trip to The Dragon confirmed just how great the car handles. The fact of the matter is that the NSXs limit is so far beyond that of most sports cars and especially any Porsche, that it will take a lot to reach it. This was done once at Sebring exiting turn 17 leading into the main straight but I didn't find it that difficult to bring the car back into line.

zahntech said:
I do not know exactly the cross section of Prime members, but if you read the threds you can tell that there are persons that have enough money to buy whatever car they want and there are thoes that are happy to be able to buy a car that performs like the NSX does for around 30k, the cost of a cars of this type is in the upkeep and usage, you can spend 30k on a Honda Accord but it doesn't cost 3k for a clutch like an NSX does, the previous owner of my car decided that it was too rich for his blood when the dealer quoted him 700$ for an inner door handle.

In my experance working on Porsches and knowing persons that own them, Porsches are not as reliable as an NSX and cost more to own.

I personaly don't care for Porsches, I do like the way BMWs drive but I would NEVER own one, the Germans take great pride in designing very complex systems and mechanical devices, but when they break get out your checkbook.

As for where does everybody drive a Porsche? where I live! Everyday I see 20 or more 911,993,996,boxter type cars on the road, in the parking garage at my wifes work she counted 28 one morning. around here porsches are like Honda Civics ..everybodys got one!...If you like the car than go buy it, but I personaly don't feel the need to buy a new car cuz I need one that is a few seconds faster on a track somewhere...JZ

I understand that Porsches are much more plentiful compared to the NSX, that I am not disputing. However, one of the primary reasons you don't have that many NSXs is because they were never bought new in quantity. They are primarily trading back and forth on the used market. Currently, Honda only sell about 200 a year and probably 90% are leased. If Honda did not offer the favorable $800/month lease program, they would probably have a hard time selling 50 cars a year.

Last edited:
Hugh said:
Actually I spent a lot of time at the limit of adhesion. Read my sig line. Lateral Gs are what I live for. I'm always tinkering with the car's setup to see how high I can get it. A recent trip to The Dragon confirmed just how great the car handles. The fact of the matter is that the NSXs limit is so far beyond that of most sports cars and especially any Porsche, that it will take a lot to reach it. This was done once at Sebring exiting turn 17 leading into the main straight but I didn't find it that difficult to bring the car back into line.

A stock GT3 circulates the skidpad at 1.02 or 1.03 g's according to one of the major publications. I have never seen a stock NSX exceed 0.97 g's in a publication.

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
they were never bought new in quantity.
You don't consider 3000+ cars sold (in the United States, ~8000 worldwide) in the first year to be "in quantity"?

personally i love the cayman.

I think it looks great and its a great step for porsche.
Sure its maybe a rung up in perf on a 350Z, and its made to appeal to porsche buyers.

People who think porsches cost too much for what they cost can exercise choice and buy corvettes and 2nd and 3rd hand nsxs.

I used to love nsxs back when they were still *kinda* current. However, after looking to buy an 02, and owning a 91 (concurrently with a 350Z and 996TT) i can handdily say that the car is so far past its time. The Z was an arguably better car than my 91, while my TT absolutely humiliats the nsx in every concievable comparison.

That a cayman does the same with its brand new technology (btw the 3.4 is NOT the old M96 3.4, just a 3.2 w/ engine work.)

Sadly, porsche wont allow boxsters to cannabilize their icon, the 911. Personally, i would LOVE to have cayman TT. THAT car would rule.

As it is, its a nice direction for porsche, kinda like the purists porsche. As such, they need (and can) price it at a premium point to futher differentiate it from the boxster and its "I couldnt afford a 911" status.

Marketing is complex, and the wizards at stuttgart understand this very well. Suffice to say that the cayman will sell just as well at $XX vs $xx-10k, while still not having the dangerous moniker of the "poor man's porsche". Ah well, before the boxster, this title was proudly worn by the 924 i believe....

/steps down from soapbox/

MCM said:
This thread has taken a wild turn indeed.
Truth of the matter is, CerbM5 was not happy with his stock 04 and its susp.
He changed it in the wrong direction making it worse.
Funky springs and wrong sized wheels and tires.
He has since condemned the car.
(I guess it was his 1st time setting up a cars susp & got it wrong)
Now he thinks he loves a car most here are very familiar with
but could care less about. Its really a sad state of affairs.
One ride in my car and he would get it.
Till then, I guess we just have to put up with it.
As far as why folks here drive this "old" car?
If you have to ask, you missed the point.
And yes I could have easily purchased a more expensive sports car.
But I don't think I could have purchased a better sports car.
Its all in what you want. The steering, cornering ability, Alum body, looks and maint. did it for me.
To each his own. And you don't see me on the P boards knocking cars.
This will be my last response to any of CerbM5's posts.
Not sure if he is a troll now? Or just a bitter prev owner of an ill handling NSX.
In any case, AMF.

I agree this thread has turned sour.

In regards to the aftermarket wheels and springs on my NSX, it was done strictly for aesthetic reasons only. When I bought the car, I was disappointed with the overall performance. So, from that point forward I decided to try and improve the looks of the car and make it strictly a commuter car. These changes were not meant to improve the performance of the car.

I already gave up on the NSX as my performance car outlet and started looking for a track only car or a complete replacement.

I may express by disappointment loudly (well before selling the car), but I am not a troll.

qirex said:
The Z was an arguably better car than my 91
lmfao.gif

nsxtasy said:
You don't consider 3000+ cars sold (in the United States, ~8000 worldwide) in the first year to be "in quantity"?

Granted, in the early years the NSX was a magnificent vehicle and the sales figures bear that out. It blew the competition away. However, fast forward to 2005, and it is lacking in my opinion. My primary gripe with the NSX is how it compares to modern day sports cars.

As an amusing and only somewhat related aside...

The wife and I took the NSX out for dinner tonight. We took the toll road up to Newport Beach and took PCH home. (My apologies to those of you not familiar with the area but I'll just say that the drive on PCH from Newport to Dana Point is beautiful and takes you through some very, very nice parts of S. CA (including the locale of the now infamous Crystal Cove Sat. meet)). On our drive we saw:

1 New F430 Ferrari
3 360 Modena Spiders
1 Bentley Continental GT
More than a dozen 911 variant porsches (mostly 996's but at least 1 new 997 Carrera S, 1 996 Turbo, and a 993 Carrera 4S). Honestly, I stopped counting at 14
Even more Boxster and Boxster S' (surprisingly none of the new 987 models)
and more AMG Mercedes than you can shake a stick at.

And not one single other NSX. Not one.

I don't think that's necessarily a big deal, nor is it an indicator of anything but I did think it was kind of cool.

CerberusM5 said:
A stock GT3 circulates the skidpad at 1.02 or 1.03 g's according to one of the major publications. I have never seen a stock NSX exceed 0.96 g's in a publication.

06-.07g's ain't worth a dab of bug poop to me. I'm never going to be that good of a driver to know the difference. :frown: :redface:

qirex said:
and owning a 91 (concurrently with a 350Z and 996TT) i can handdily say that the car is so far past its time. The Z was an arguably better car than my 91, while my TT absolutely humiliats the nsx in every concievable comparison.

Are you on drugs? 350Z better than NSX?

It may be past its time as a "Super Car", but still better than all the newer Japanese sports cars. There are many newer "Super Cars" that are better than NSX in terms of power level, 350Z is definitely not one of them.

While 996TT will destroy NSX in every area. 350Z and 91 NSX is not even close, NSX will humiliates 350Z in every area. I have lost count of how many 350Zs I have spanked on my 92 NSX.

350Zs are everywhere, my neighbor has one, Mr. A~Z has one, cousin has one, brother has one, Johnny working at Supramarket has one, chances of lining up against 350Z are way too frequent.

nsxsupra said:
While 996TT will destroy NSX in every area.

Not in repair costs or in looks.
I don't care for the shape or silhouette. I just don't get it how people think it is beautiful. Ugh!

Da Hapa said:
As an amusing and only somewhat related aside...

1 New F430 Ferrari
3 360 Modena Spiders
1 Bentley Continental GT
More than a dozen 911 variant porsches (mostly 996's but at least 1 new 997 Carrera S, 1 996 Turbo, and a 993 Carrera 4S). Honestly, I stopped counting at 14
Even more Boxster and Boxster S' (surprisingly none of the new 987 models)
and more AMG Mercedes than you can shake a stick at.

And not one single other NSX. Not one.

The guy in the F430 and the Bentley each saw an NSX but no F430 or Bentley. :wink:

CerberusM5 said:
I think "bitter" is a little extreme. If the NSX had given me more enjoyment during my 12 months of ownership, I probably would not have cared that the car lost almost $20k within a year. However, since it was lacking in various performance aspects, the financial loss exacerbated my disappointment in the car.

The NSX is a nice car, but it will be very unlikely the NSX will be a standout in my quest for the Holy Grail of sports cars. Maybe the GT2 and possibly an F430 or CGT if I am lucky, will receive honorable mention 10 years from now.

BTW, I don't think a Kevlar vest is necessary.

Just thinking out loud (in writing anyway...)

Porsche depreciation >>> NSX depreciation

All these $25k-$35k NSX's that are 15 years old were sold for $60k new. Porsche's do not keep that level of value. You can get Boxster's for $15k now (1/3 their cost when new) and it hasn't even been 10 years.

P.S. Porsche depreciation >>> Ferrari depreciation

When looking at the depreciation cost portion of ownership, it will be cheaper for you to buy a F430... assuming they both remain stock of course.

DutchBlackNsx said:
Its true though, if the NSX was presented by Ferrari in the early 90's, it would have had the status of best Ferrari ever build.

Am I reading this right?
Am I reading this right?
Am I reading this right?

NetViper said:
I personally think the interior of the 996 and first gen boxsters are pretty awful. The NSX is much nicer IMO. If the NSX interior had full leather and NAV/CD it would still be one of the nicest interior on the market IMO.

You mean an interior that's the same as an 80's Honda Accord?

MCM said:
Let me know when they build one that is almost all hand made from alum., handles like a go-cart, goes 170, is trouble free for 200,000 miles and can be had used for under $40k...............
The world will catch on, but it will take time. :smile:

If you find a car like that please let me know :rolleyes:

shiri said:
You mean an interior that's the same as an 80's Honda Accord?

No, its the one with the 80's Accord instrument cluster and late 70's 928 dash design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back