• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why no hype?

excellent question. my guess is they are just not where they want to be?

My thought exactly however if this is the case when will they ever be. Holyshit i follow exotics all over the world no other mark would do what Honda has done with the NSX brand seriously 2003 Honda started with the replacement of NSX 1.0 we are now at 2016 13yrs later and still have no idea of the true capacity of this car what are they hiding from. As soon as the production cars are in the hands of Joe public and the true media journalists have an indication of how the NSX really is then all will be known so why hide the facts now.

As for production release anyone outside of the USA will have to wait at least 1-2 yrs for delivery from now as for hype that will be 15yrs in the wait.

Ya. You would think they'd release some impressive #'s to entice buyers to plunk down $200k.

"Give us $200k. The car's pretty good." -Not the best sales pitch.

I would have played up the fact that its so fast it ripped the underwear right off one of the engineers at the ring...:eek:

You guys are complaining about no motivation to buy from performance figures but apparently the first two years' production have pretty much been spoken for. Clearly not the intended targets for buyers here.

The ones that are trying to buy are more upset they may have to wait until next years to get it... Not that it can't beat x car in a race.

I would have played up the fact that its so fast it ripped the underwear right off one of the engineers at the ring...:eek:

Really? I wonder what color underpants they were. Odds are probably basic white, cotton, underpants. Maybe they were silk? Maybe a thong? Maybe something really cool I don't even know about?

That's it. Placing an order today.

Claims of "Sub 3.0 seconds 0-60mph" and "Faster around track than a 458" were more than enough to get my deposit. Of course, more details are always better. And if those initial two claims are not proven out in real life, I'll feel duped.

Would be great if it is faster around the track than a 488 or Z07 and faster 0-60 than a GT-R or P90D Lud. But I'm not expecting it to be.

Claims of "Sub 3.0 seconds 0-60mph" and "Faster around track than a 458" were more than enough to get my deposit. Of course, more details are always better. And if those initial two claims are not proven out in real life, I'll feel duped.Would be great if it is faster around the track than a 488 or Z07 and faster 0-60 than a GT-R or P90D Lud. But I'm not expecting it to be.
From what it seems... based on "reviewers" feedback... It's easy to drive around the track. So... even if they do equivalent times, unless you're a professional race car driver, the NSX may be faster around the track for normal people.

Claims of "Sub 3.0 seconds 0-60mph" and "Faster around track than a 458" were more than enough to get my deposit. Of course, more details are always better. And if those initial two claims are not proven out in real life, i'll feel duped.

Feel better now........?

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HaoW1du3APQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Feel better now........?

No. That video shows a ~3.6 Second 0-60MPH run, right? (I imported into Final Cut Pro, clipped the start until the Speedo switched to 1 through an average of the two frames that shows 57 and 61 MPH).

Here's what would make me feel better:

-Confirmation that this is a production car
-Results from recognized third-party GPS/intertia box
-A few back to back runs in opposite directions (and/or instrumentation proving level ground).
-Results of above averaging to < 3.00 seconds 0-60

:smile:

That was just on a street with no real effort to log a true 0-60 or 0-100 or even log anything "official". This is officially unofficial.

You will be pleased............

The GM and service manager at our dealer just got back from their NSX training in Ohio.
Both drove the NSX.
The GM who's a self professed average driver said he was overwhelmed by how fast it was and the technology in the car was outstanding.
The service manager who tracks his GTR said it was faster then his GTR.
He also mentioned all the cars were prototypes with dents, scrapes, missing trim and so on.
And everyone was, in his words, "thrashing" the cars, as most of them knew this would the only chance they'd ever have to drive one.

As an aside he said get the seats with the Alcantara strip because in the all leather seats you slide up the seat under acceleration.

On any given day at a track with a professional driver a 458, 488, 911TT, Z07, NSX, GTR, or? will have the fastest lap time.
And for that track, on that day, with that driver, one will have the best 0-60 or quarter mile time.
So what does that prove?
Not much to me, as I sure can't drive any of those cars even close to their limits.

The video Bob posted looks like it was a phone shot taken at one of the training sessions.
Does the 0-60 mean much in a hard worked prototype, on a hot day?, in a hot car? with a one time driver?
I doubt I can tell the difference in a 0-60 of 2.8 or 3.1 anyway.

What I am sure of is the NSX will have higher limits than my driving skills, and that's good enough for me.

JD, your point "proves too much." Obsession with an optimal blend of 0-60, 1/4 mile and road course lap times was surely the core design objecitve of all utilitarian aspects of the car (balanced with street driving comfort and I suppose some minimal fuel economy requirement). I reserve the right to obsess about the same things the designers and engineers so clearly obsessed about. :)

That said, I agree with what I think is your central point of "who cares about the Nth degree of precision as long as the holistic car is 'in the mix' with the very best." If the NSX can beat the 488 or Z06 "on any given track day," I will be elated (and surprised).

Where I am hoping this car is best-of-breed is having a true "EV" driving experience--massive torque delivered without delay or drama. I want to be able to mash the pedal from 0 or from 60 and involuntarily smile every time.

plan on doing it only 399 times:tongue:

the "lack of hype" is what this thread is all about. whether it has lack of competitive thrust is another story, that hopefully we'll find out one of these days, eventually.

i think everyone agrees that Acura/Honda is doing a terrible job of promoting excitement with this car...

probably by die hard previous NSX owners? some of whom have backed out already.

it's a HALO car, it's supposed to excite everyone, and get everyone excited about Honda's again?

It's been proven that 2nd hand diehard NSX owners have little interest in the new car, hence the "no hype" up here.

The first two years of allotments are sold out. What more do they need to do?

Agree with you Bob.
Honda does a super bowl ad, shows off a prototype at an Indy car race, auctions one off for charity, holds track events for the trade to drive and write about, puts the car up for sale and now reports are that it's been fully subscribed.
In the big picture you'd have to say Honda has done their job.

Will that stop the endless criticism of every minute aspect of the NSX project?
Not likely.
But apparently there are enough buyers out there that get the big picture.

We are all NSX fans here, so the lack of excitement in this club is disconcerting. Can that change with great reviews and real-life data? Sure. Nonetheless, having sold out 2 years at VERY LOW volumes reveals more about the economy and the whims of the wealthy than any true enthusiasm about the product. I will reserve judgement until it's released. I hope it's better than the hype.

We are all NSX fans here, so the lack of excitement in this club is disconcerting. Can that change with great reviews and real-life data? Sure. Nonetheless, having sold out 2 years at VERY LOW volumes reveals more about the economy and the whims of the wealthy than any true enthusiasm about the product. I will reserve judgement until it's released. I hope it's better than the hype.

I agree there's been a dearth of excitement on Prime about the new NSX and a much reduced participation on Prime in general too.
In the main I think the old owners like me continue to be on Prime.
But as the old guys sell their cars and drop off the new young owners have gone to social media.
I'm guessing the vast majority of current owners are in their 20's and 30's and not in the market nor that interested in an expensive sports car.

Judging by the second generation postings it seems like there are maybe 6-12 who have ordered the new car?
So a small group of potential new NSX owners and others like yourself wanting to learn more and others expressing doubts, reservations, criticism and so on.
Not a large group really.

In any event I'm off this week in my 91 for my annual trip through the Rockies to Alberta and will fall in love with the old girl all over again :)

Judging the situation right here shows that the NSX is well made concerning some people who are saying how great the car is and 2 years are already sold out means that this supercar can be going on for at least 5 years and then getting a facelift

- - - Updated - - -

Robb Reports June edition on the best of the best, NSX is one of them

link ------ http://robbreport.com/automobiles/slideshow/acura-nsx-supercar-2016s-best-new-coupe-or-gt-slideshow

plan on doing it only 399 times:tongue:
BTW is there a counter of how many times the car was pushed with launch control and how many percentage it was in track mode and so on? It should be no problem to implement such a counter in the software. You don't want to buy a used NSX 2.0 where you have to replace the clutch after YOUR very first take off... Maybe the dealer knows but the customer doesn't...

We are all NSX fans here, so the lack of excitement in this club is disconcerting.

Considering the new NSX is not really targeted at our club members I don't know what more is expected of current owners. 99% of current owners are either unable or unwilling to spend $200k for a new car. There are only so many "wow", "love it" and "hate the beak" comments anyone can post. So far there is one car produced and Hendrick has it. The reviews are out and everyone has read them. What more needs to be said here? No one yet has one. There are no DIY threads and won't be for years given the fact that people like Larry B won't be working on them for many years if at all. There are no marketplace ads and won't be for a couple of years most likely. There won't be photo/video forums active for quite a while. The somewhat "muted" response is simply the result of the fact there are no cars out there yet and prime members are most likely to post that "hey, I saw one" rather than "I have one so when is our next canyon run."

Last edited:
Considering the new NSX is not really targeted at our club members I don't know what more is expected of current owners. 99% of current owners are either unable or unwilling to spend $200k for a new car. There are only so many "wow", "love it" and "hate the beak" comments anyone can post. So far there is one car produced and Hendricks has it. The reviews are out and everyone has read them. What more needs to be said here? No one yet has one. There are no DIY threads and won't be for years given the fact that people like Larry B won't be working on them for many years if at all. There are no marketplace ads and won't be for a couple of years most likely. There won't be photo/video forums active for quite a while. The somewhat "muted" response is simply the result of the fact there are no cars out there yet and prime members are most likely to post that "hey, I saw one" rather than "I have one so when is our next canyon run."

images_zps1ee40445.jpeg~original

Back