• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why no hype?

Considering the new NSX is not really targeted at our club members I don't know what more is expected of current owners. 99% of current owners are either unable or unwilling to spend $200k for a new car. There are only so many "wow", "love it" and "hate the beak" comments anyone can post. So far there is one car produced and Hendrick has it. The reviews are out and everyone has read them. What more needs to be said here? No one yet has one. There are no DIY threads and won't be for years given the fact that people like Larry B won't be working on them for many years if at all. There are no marketplace ads and won't be for a couple of years most likely. There won't be photo/video forums active for quite a while. The somewhat "muted" response is simply the result of the fact there are no cars out there yet and prime members are most likely to post that "hey, I saw one" rather than "I have one so when is our next canyon run."

3276760.jpg

Considering the new NSX is not really targeted at our club members I don't know what more is expected of current owners. 99% of current owners are either unable or unwilling to spend $200k for a new car. There are only so many "wow", "love it" and "hate the beak" comments anyone can post. So far there is one car produced and Hendrick has it. The reviews are out and everyone has read them. What more needs to be said here? No one yet has one. There are no DIY threads and won't be for years given the fact that people like Larry B won't be working on them for many years if at all. There are no marketplace ads and won't be for a couple of years most likely. There won't be photo/video forums active for quite a while. The somewhat "muted" response is simply the result of the fact there are no cars out there yet and prime members are most likely to post that "hey, I saw one" rather than "I have one so when is our next canyon run."
I blame Bob for killing nsxprime :)

If you can, take a look at Graham Rahal's instagram and you will see that he is getting his NSX soon and it is chassis #15

- - - Updated - - -

I should not be posting this, but I know a guy who knows a guy who saw the VIN #001 NSX 2.0 being crushed and buried next to a bunch of GM EV1 cars.....

What do this mean?

GM built electric cars called EV1, collected them all after the leases were up and crushed them.

chrisn is linking to that bad moment in auto history to bring some humor to our extended and so far fruitless waiting.

No. That video shows a ~3.6 Second 0-60MPH run, right? (I imported into Final Cut Pro, clipped the start until the Speedo switched to 1 through an average of the two frames that shows 57 and 61 MPH).

Here's what would make me feel better:

-Confirmation that this is a production car
-Results from recognized third-party GPS/intertia box
-A few back to back runs in opposite directions (and/or instrumentation proving level ground).
-Results of above averaging to < 3.00 seconds 0-60

:smile:

Considering the speedo updates at about 2 times per second and I understand that you tried to interpolate between frames, but I don't think you can base your timing on that. Your method doesn't compensate for a constant lag time between the vehicle's continuously changing speed and the display.

Last edited:
As long as the lag is constant, I disagree. Imprecise, but not systematically wrong.

i started the clock after a visual jarring from the car starting and after 0 changed to 1. Have a look and report your findings.

Last edited:
Curious - who can name some other recent sports/super/hypercar introductions that seemed to be low on the hype and excitement? The new Miata comes to mind as one. Others?

As long as the lag is constant, I disagree. Imprecise, but not systematically wrong.

i started the clock after a visual jarring from the car starting and after 0 changed to 1. Have a look and report your findings.

You might be right. I guess we'll see once instrumented tests start coming out.

You might be right. I guess we'll see once instrumented tests start coming out.

??? Not saying that *THE CAR* is only capable of 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Just saying that *THAT VIDEO* shows that. Also shows 100 deg heat-- and prob on a public road and not consistent/prepared surface.

Look at the comparison videos. GTR and Z06 are still slower slightly in real world testing and they both claim sub 3 second 0-60. Even more exaggerated up to 100 mph.

Look at the comparison videos. GTR and Z06 are still slower slightly in real world testing and they both claim sub 3 second 0-60. Even more exaggerated up to 100 mph.

I get the logic and am also hopefully. But do we really have head-to-head videos? Or at least same driver/road/day back to back?

Also, we need tests with production cars. As everyone knows, it is trivial to dial-up the power of a car like the NSX. If I were Acura, I'd for sure have my test cars running a bit "hot" on the ICE and EV output for thermal and mechanical testing, and then back-off to final specs in the production variant (to get a bit more design cushion). Nothing nefarious about that--- especially when you are embargoing quantitative testing.

-Chris

Curious - who can name some other recent sports/super/hypercar introductions that seemed to be low on the hype and excitement? The new Miata comes to mind as one. Others?

Nobody can think of any recent intros that landed with less hype than maybe expected?

nope......I think the hype about no hype is hype....

Some are beginning to question why there's not EVEN MORE hype about the no hype hype.

My sources say that there was a translation glitch between global Honda HQ and the US-based NSX team. Apparently, the home office gave a directive that the NSX is to represent the "Ultimate in Exclusivity," but is was translated as "Infinite Exclusivity." The LA folks ran the math and called up Ohio and told them to halt production in order to please the bosses....

The confusion over where the Vin #001 car is (and whether Rick actually owns it) traces back to an ongoing ontological debate over whether zero or one car would represent infinite exclusivity.

I don't know that I agree, but that's OK. :) Maybe it's just a Honda thing, where the try to do it all really well approach just does not stir up enough emotions in the Joe Public's who can't stop talking about the GTR 10 years after its introduction, or the Billy Billybob's who can't stop gushing over the XXL sized Challengers and Camaros. I think most Gen 1 owners kind of love the understatedness and low profile associated with our cars, so maybe we should be thankful for all the hype here about lack of hype.

I get the logic and am also hopefully. But do we really have head-to-head videos? Or at least same driver/road/day back to back?

Also, we need tests with production cars. As everyone knows, it is trivial to dial-up the power of a car like the NSX. If I were Acura, I'd for sure have my test cars running a bit "hot" on the ICE and EV output for thermal and mechanical testing, and then back-off to final specs in the production variant (to get a bit more design cushion). Nothing nefarious about that--- especially when you are embargoing quantitative testing.

-Chris

My point was none of the cars that do supposed 2.x 0-60 were getting there that fast. It bodes well for the new NSX. I hope the production ones are even better than the prototypes...

My sources say that there was a translation glitch between global Honda HQ and the US-based NSX team. Apparently, the home office gave a directive that the NSX is to represent the "Ultimate in Exclusivity," but is was translated as "Infinite Exclusivity." The LA folks ran the math and called up Ohio and told them to halt production in order to please the bosses....

Aside from the joking, isn't it true that most new car intros that stir up excitement and hype seem to do so because they offer something unique or new that someone connects with, be it some performance or appearance feature or some unique overall package for the price. That's why I mentioned the new Miata earlier-I don't recall getting too stirred up by it or reading much hype by others, I don't recall it really introducing anything new other than kind of controversial styling.

New NSX - I personally sense low hyping overall...could it just be what's being offered is not connecting (yet) with people to result in the hype and anticipation that's been seen with other new car intros... Do I yearn for the advantages that will be gained by the unique new four-wheel e-motor aids? Am I stirred up inside with all the design exercising Cuisinart wheels, multi honeycomb beak and engine covered with plastic carbon fiber that you can't see? If people are hyped up, they're gonna hype. If people are not gonna hype, it's a fair question to wonder why!

The NSX coverage in the trade publications and websites seems to be about the same as it was for the 458 or other recent launches.
Similar number of articles on test drives and so on.

Our dealer says they'll be running some local promotions once their NSX arrives which they hope will increase showroom traffic.
I'd expect all dealerships will be doing something similar.

Given there are only perhaps 800 for the US, and 700 for the rest of the world for MY2017 how many magazine sales or website hits would the US auto trade expect for 800 cars?
Maybe because we're NSX fans, we expect everyone should be talking about the NSX?
But in the bigger picture, it's a low production, expensive vehicle, so maybe not much hype beyond what's already happened can be expected?

the people in the market for 200k cars are not driven by advertising hype....they either follow their other rich friends, or like anyone buying a brand new product took that leap of faith, after doing whatever premarket research they could.I don't think honda did any more or less advertising than they needed...

↑↑↑↑↑

I doubt Honda/Acura cares about getting enough NSX buyers.

Aim high - hit high

Aim low - hit low

I doubt Honda/Acura cares about getting enough NSX buyers.
Aim high - hit high Aim low - hit low

I think Honda cares a great deal about getting enough buyers.
Their re-entry in Formula 1, their V6 F1 hybrid power unit improving, NSX hybrid halo car, limited volume, made to order, sold out with a wait list.
All seems to be part of a plan to change the Honda image.
Maybe a front engine, rear drive sedan to follow?
From a distance it looks like Honda is working hard to regain their image of a performance driven company.

Back