• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

World's Most Powerful Subwoofer

Anyone have an enclosure for this one? I bet this would knock a few of those aluminum welds loose. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

World’s Most Powerful Subwoofer!
Posted on 10.31.05 @ 12:09 am

Super SubwooferBy Josh Ray.

No, it’s not a fan. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the world’s most powerful subwoofer: the Eminent Tech TRW 17. Rather than your garden variety 10 or 12 inch paper cone pulsating back and forth, this subwoofer creates a wall of air as big as your living room. In other words, the entire room becomes a resonating box!

By rotating the fins and modulating the speed, frequency goes all the way down to 1Hz, the territory of jet engines, nuclear explosions and plate tectonics. By comparison, your typical sub hits 20Hz on its best day.

With a price of $12,900, the TRW 17 is for rap superstars only. Rumor has it smaller versions are in the works as well as one model specifically for cars — naturally, you must present your rap superstar ID at time of purchase.

EminentTechTRW17.jpg

For more info: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/31/worlds-most-powerful-subwoofer/

haha....reminds me of the carver sunfire when it was released. we'll see what kinds of waves this device makes.

a lot of companies made servo subs, then there was that psyclone sub, i forget how it was spelled.... interesting stuff, but so far all these odd designs have been marketing gimmicks.

ChopsJazz said:
Why would you want a speaker capable of 1Hz?

The human ear is capable of about 20Hz. 16Hz max (min?).

Your ear might not hear it, but your body and chest cavity can feel it.

-- Joe

ChopsJazz said:

My dog would love it!

92NSX said:
One of the subs was put into a car on the show "Pimp my ride".
Speaker was worth more than the car!!

Everything that they do to those cars are worth more than the cars. They could just add an air freshener to the rear view mirror and double the value to most of them. :smile:

White92 said:
Everything that they do to those cars are worth more than the cars. They could just add an air freshener to the rear view mirror and double the value to most of them. :smile:

Yeah, I guess I didn't put a lot of thought into that statement. :biggrin:
They said he was the only person in the world to have one mounted in a car. Had something like 6k watts of power running to it. Insane. :eek:

That show is a running billboard for thieves. They give out all the guests' information and then load up their rides with expensive crap. Afterwords they kick them out the door onto the street with paint jobs that say, "This is the car you saw on TV. Steal my shit!"

Juice said:
That show is a running billboard for thieves. They give out all the guests' information and then load up their rides with expensive crap. Afterwords they kick them out the door onto the street with paint jobs that say, "This is the car you saw on TV. Steal my shit!"

That is so true. I bet they don't install any type of alarm system on those cars when they are done either.
Soon they will have a sequel to that show
Pimp my ride.......AGAIN :biggrin:

White92 said:
He can hear things I can't.

dog can hear supersonic noises....can they hear super low frequencies as well? this is new to me.

rather, snakes are very much attracted to super low frequencies.....im sure snakes will come rattlin to your house if you set it on max.

92NSX said:
That is so true. I bet they don't install any type of alarm system on those cars when they are done either.
Soon they will have a sequel to that show
Pimp my ride.......AGAIN :biggrin:

I can just hear the insurance companies saying, "Your 83 S-10 Pick-up is not worth $43,000. We'll give you $1,350." :biggrin:

Richard3-sml.jpg

&
E1573W1M1396P66C.jpg

&
woofer3.jpg

Richard Clard built a 5' subwoofer in a breadvan. Powered by two amplifiers from an MRI machine or something similar. The amps put out somewhere around 100,000 watts each I think. When tested, the sub wrinkled the walls of the breadvan and ruined it. Last I remember, he was building a concrete building to test it. Not sure what became of it. Might be able to find more info at carsound.com, termpro.com, or autosound2000.com.

new-73b.gif

ChopsJazz said:

This man speaks the truth. enjoy wasting your money. the human cochlea: 20-20,000 Hz

avalon96 said:
This man speaks the truth. enjoy wasting your money. the human cochlea: 20-20,000 Hz
Yes, but can't you still feel it?

robr said:
a lot of companies made servo subs, then there was that psyclone sub, i forget how it was spelled.... interesting stuff, but so far all these odd designs have been marketing gimmicks.

Phoenix Gold manufactured two servo controlled offerings back in the mid-90's, the Cyclone being the most well known, but it was hardly a gimmick.

By all measurements for SQ & transient response it is more ideal than a conventional driver and has ideal thiele/small parameters when coupled with the reccomended 3 cube acoustic suspension enclosure. The LinearX LMS plot was fantastic on the sweeps.

Physics and pros/cons of the technology aside- I had the opportunity to hear PG's black dodge pickup demo vehicle with six of them hooked to ZPA's many years back at IASCA, and it was just about the best demo vehicle I've ever heard so far as overall system design (Integration, SPL, SQ). It pulled near 140db of crystal clear audio and sounded absolutely amazing.

I think EV used to make a 30" diameter sub. That would be fun to install!

Clarion made a 32" thunderdome which retailed for about $6000. A friend of mine picked up the 1st one in Williamsport and put it in his 4 runner using many sheets of 1" MDF and a lot of reinforcement hooked to a PPI bridged mono. We used Clarion's specs, and the box extended all the way to the hatch. He also sealed/wall it off at 1/4 the wavelength of the resonant frequency of the vehicle, etc... so the design was ok on paper but we still all laughed about it at the time, because the vehicle sat staggered as the box was so heavy it compressed the suspension and looked like it would hurt his gas mileage more than anything. Not worth it IMO, later he claimed he pulled an SPL of 160db or so using the Bass Mechanic CD and 2 batteries, which might be likely as running one driver is an advantage with no cross driver interference.

Last edited:
I haven't heard the name Richard Clark in many years. I remember as a young tike growing up, reading Car Audio & Electronics when he was kicking ass with the Grand National.

White92 said:
Yes, but can't you still feel it?

If you are asking if your cutaneous mechanoreceptors / pacinian corpuscles (i.e. the skin receptors that detect vibration) can discriminate b/t 1Hz - 20hz, I do not know with certainty -- I would guess not. The most sensitive skin regions would be on your lips and fingertips. If having your lower lip vibrate a little more is worth the extra money to you, by all means, enjoy!

92NSX said:
I haven't heard the name Richard Clark in many years. I remember as a young tike growing up, reading Car Audio & Electronics when he was kicking ass with the Grand National.
That GN went undefeated the whole time RC competed with it IIRC. It was the winningest car in history and only one to retire undefeated in the pro division. That car made him lots of money. Bought it from the Speakerwerks guys originally. I think it belonged to Eric Holdaway.

He's still around and active in the industry. He has numerous patents pertaining to electrical design and audio. You can find him posting quite often at carsound.com mostly in his own forum. I've always found him to be friendly and helpful. But for some reason on the audio forums, people either love him or hate him. I've never figured out why.

Back