• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Worlds smallest V12 engine

He could probably get it to run if he cold find gasoline small enough.

Very cool, indeed. Now he ought to build a little Lambo body around it!

I was in awe. I felt like a kid again watching that.

Indeed! i'm sure he could make a fully functional version,
Even cooler, here he made a W16 SOHC

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlY_zxgnMAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazing people really can sit down and do this kind of stuff.

wonder if someone could do a mini scale of the NSX that would be bad ass

and no doubt Honda Company would buy it from whom ever made it.

thats so freaking cool

thanks for sharing

I had the pleasure of going to college with a foreign student who one day, while hanging out in the student union building, announced that we was going to build a minature V-10. I knew he worked in his fathers machine shop but............Yeah Right!

Well 18 months later as a senior engineering student he told me he was close to completion but had concerns about cooling and lubrication. I was a non-believer until he showed me a tiny spark plug and the rocker-arm assembly. He subsequently asked me for a loan which I denied because I too was a starving student. I eventually traded some things to him and in turn he "loaned" me his model radio controller, a bunch of servos, batteries, modeling tools, etc. (which I still have).

I heard from this person again after about a year and he again asked for a loan... and I again denied. What was interesting was that he finished the engine, had not solved the cooling problem, and was looking for a scaled chassis to place it in. I was adamant that there must be someone in Silicon Valley (California) with big bucks willing to sponsor him. I don't know if he ever pursued this.

Can you imaging having a scaled working model (chassis, engine) of this set-up in your trophy case? WOW!

I had the pleasure of going to college with a foreign student who one day, while hanging out in the student union building, announced that we was going to build a minature V-10. I knew he worked in his fathers machine shop but............Yeah Right!

Well 18 months later as a senior engineering student he told me he was close to completion but had concerns about cooling and lubrication. I was a non-believer until he showed me a tiny spark plug and the rocker-arm assembly. He subsequently asked me for a loan which I denied because I too was a starving student. I eventually traded some things to him and in turn he "loaned" me his model radio controller, a bunch of servos, batteries, modeling tools, etc. (which I still have).

I heard from this person again after about a year and he again asked for a loan... and I again denied. What was interesting was that he finished the engine, had not solved the cooling problem, and was looking for a scaled chassis to place it in. I was adamant that there must be someone in Silicon Valley (California) with big bucks willing to sponsor him. I don't know if he ever pursued this.

Can you imaging having a scaled working model (chassis, engine) of this set-up in your trophy case? WOW!
I can understand being a bored, wealthy retired person with time on your hands to do this stuff.

I can't understand being a poor starving student trying to do something like this, that doesn't have immediate tangible cash value. If someone is able to do something like this, then surely they can put their skills to more productive use making something that will actually be a revenue generator, to help with their lack of cash, no?

I think you were wise to deny the funding. It is more of a hobby than a business, and you would never see your money again.

That was a lot of fun to watch. It would be really cool to see in person, I can't believe (according to the video) that it took 1220 hours to complete.

I look forward to seeing this motor in the new generation Prius.

I was too busy marveling at the craftsmanship, but I did notice a pair of fans on the second engine, and in the front caught a glimpse of what appears to be a distributor mechanism mounted on the shaft like a flywheel. There is an air filter on the top of the motor, and a fuel line (or air?) feeding the motor through the mounting base from a hidden tank below.
It could still be running off of air, though.

There are no ignition hardware or cooling system so I supposed these 2 engine are just running on compressed air?
Steve

Thats what it looks like. What do you want? micro spark plugs and tiny cats? :biggrin:

He damn well better put some mufflers on that puppy if he lives near me!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SeUMDY01uUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one actually runs. Sounds pretty mean too

Sorry repost :) , worth another watch tho

Last edited:
Back