• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you ever consider selling your NSX for a 997 GT3?

I remember when I was a kid. I had an NSX matchbox car right when the car came out. That all black roof with the red paint was something I had never seen. It was futuristic to me. I had posters of the Countach on my wall that I drooled over at the book fair.

The 997 GT3 is like that for me now. I lust after it. It is the poster I wish I could put on my bedroom wall but my wife would take my life.

Every now and then I think about selling my latest NSX (I've owned 3) for something. In the past I would let go of car just to see what another was like but I haven't done it lately because frankly whatever I could afford with the proceeds simply could not compare. But...with NSX prices on the rise...the possibility that I could sell it and get into a used 997 GT3 is very real.

What I want to know is... have you had experience with the 997 GT3? Thoughts would be appreciated from NSX owners. I know the feeling of the NSX can never be duplicated but will I miss it...again...?

Would YOU do it? And why or why not?

I suppose I could always come back to the NSX (yet again) if the GT3 retains value (which I believe it will especially a manual trans now that the 991 is PDK only). I don't get attached to cars...they are all replaceable in my mind (after owning 37 of them...you realize there is no need to get personal).

Last edited:
I have posted on this in another thread. I have driven and gone head to head with my buddies gt3 with exhaust. I have 470 hp turbo on my 93 x and short gears. Suspension wheels etc. Here's my take on the gt3. Best na motor for the price but slower than a 470 hp Nsx. Probably equal to a 410 hp Nsx. Rear end feels bouncy at speed. Styling needs something else IMO but I personally never liked german designs. Head to head 2nd gear and up straight line pulls the x walks on it. High speed 140 plus pretty evenly matched in race (track) conditions depending on driving skill. Hard to get in powerband 7k and up is the sweet spot. There are many other gt3 on the road so nothing rare here. People do get excited about it when they see it parked and strike up convos just like the nsx- all ages and mostly male. Final thoughts: as a complete package in stock form it's a good car for what 70-80 grand. Or you can modify a stock clean Nsx say put in 20 k or 30k in mods and you will have an equal or better performing car for the same or less price that is more rare, holds value better, and can be sold as stock original at a later date reversing mods. In stock vs stock form performance gt3 all day long.... For twice the price.
Pm me for more info.

comparing a highly modified car to a stock one is rather moot. if you add that $20,000 to $30,000 to the GT3 then it's absolutely no contest going the other way. and you can keep playing that game all day long. there's always something faster with more mods, always.

the NSX is what it is, from another era. everything today is much, much faster. there's absolutely no comparison. and when you change the NSX that much, is it really even the same car anymore? it has a completely different character...

I have posted on this in another thread. I have driven and gone head to head with my buddies gt3 with exhaust. I have 470 hp turbo on my 93 x and short gears. Suspension wheels etc. Here's my take on the gt3. Best na motor for the price but slower than a 470 hp Nsx. Probably equal to a 410 hp Nsx. Rear end feels bouncy at speed. Styling needs something else IMO but I personally never liked german designs. Head to head 2nd gear and up straight line pulls the x walks on it. High speed 140 plus pretty evenly matched in race (track) conditions depending on driving skill. Hard to get in powerband 7k and up is the sweet spot. There are many other gt3 on the road so nothing rare here. People do get excited about it when they see it parked and strike up convos just like the nsx- all ages and mostly male. Final thoughts: as a complete package in stock form it's a good car for what 70-80 grand. Or you can modify a stock clean Nsx say put in 20 k or 30k in mods and you will have an equal or better performing car for the same or less price that is more rare, holds value better, and can be sold as stock original at a later date reversing mods. In stock vs stock form performance gt3 all day long.... For twice the price.
Pm me for more info.

Nope. The GT3 is a terrific car but it's no NSX.

Ideally I would keep the NSX and add one to try it out...unfortunately I am about $80-90k short on cash for that move.

Perhaps I could find one of those supercar driving events and pay to drive the GT3 and get some impressions. Might cure the itch might make it stronger...dunno.

My NSX would no doubt pull a GT3 in a straight line but I know the GT3 is meant for more. And I agree the NSX is pretty rare on the road. I went to an exotic car event recently and there were 2 or more of everything there...but only my NSX. Many compliments.

I'm in the same boat but lusting after a V10 R8.

Do what ultimately makes you happy. Driving a GT3 will definitely help cement your decision

I was at the local cars n coffee over the summer. A guy pulled in behind me in a red GT3. He got out of the car, looked at me and said. "That's the one car i wish i never sold" Interpret it how you wish

Last edited:
If you have a good relationship with your dealer then ask them for an extended test drive in the GT3. Showing that you would be getting rid of your NSX to buy it and see what they say.
I also have been lusting after a 997.2 GT3, but I know that it will take a while to get one, without selling my NSX.
also factor in how much cost and effort It would take to get a replacement NSX in your current condition if you get bored (unlikely) of the GT3 and then make your decision. From all I have read most NSX owner's regret selling and comeback, I'm sure some of them will post up. This is the only forum I've seen with so many " I regret selling my nsx and im back with another one" threads.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer then ask them for an extended test drive in the GT3. Showing that you would be getting rid of your NSX to buy it and see what they say.
I also have been lusting after a 997.2 GT3, but I know that it will take a while to get one, without selling my NSX.
also factor in how much cost and effort It would take to get a replacement NSX in your current condition if you get bored (unlikely) of the GT3 and then make your decision. From all I have read most NSX owner's regret selling and comeback, I'm sure some of them will post up. This is the only forum I've seen with so many " I regret selling my nsx and im back with another one" threads.

Honestly, I don't think a Porsche dealer would give me the time of day. My wife and I were treated very badly buying the two Ms recently...I suspect rolling up the NSX might at least draw some attention though.

I was thinking the supercar events might be a more surefire way to get behind the wheel aggressively.

I've come back to the NSX many times. It is probably the car that fits me best but I've never owned the GT3 so who knows...

Though I have never driven the GT3, my experience with these supercars is that it's simply too difficult to achieve the limits in our everyday world. The GT3, 12C, etc.. are those cars. The fun is when you can dance with the car. It's fun when the car and you are on an even playing ground. To me.. that's where the NSX strikes a balance. It's just right for me.

If I was a professional racing car driver that was capable of so much more.. then maybe I can ring out maximum potential from say a GT3. When I drive a 12C it's just too fast. I start to get nervous. When I drive my boosted NSX.. it's just right. Goldilocks!

I would much rather buy a Cayman GTS.

+1. Better handling than any 911 ever period.

+2. The cayman gts is a true balance of everything a drivers car is in one package. I have driven one on track and I'll take it over a gt3 as a daily/weekend track machine. Besides the 997 gt3 clutch is boarder line crazy stiff anyways.

I just wish the Cayman GTS wasn't so expensive. That thing can easily be priced over $100k. It's at this point that I appreciate the NSX even more and one of the many reason I have not yet replaced it with another car.

I'm not married to my cars either.. I just don't see a better replacement for what my NSX provides for me in the current market place.

I have driven a 997 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, and the new 991 GT3. All are awesome, but drive different compared to the mid engine NSX. Being that you are FI, make sure to drive one and see if you like it. My NSX is turboed with 405HP, and I feel the NSX is on par with acceleration. The 911 driver position and rear motor feel completely different. I am more confident going into corners with the NSX. When driving the 911, you feel the rear step out and have to drive with the throttle. I think the 997 GT3 will hold its value, like the NSX. The new 991 GT3 is simply amazing! 9K rpms and the PDK are outstanding.

the Cayman is an incredible little car to consider. for those who haven't driven one, you absolutely should. possibly the most neutral and balanced car ever made...

If you're not attached to your NSX then I say go for it and buy the GT3. For me the rarity of the NSX is part of the allure and for that reason I would never sell it. I've only owned mine for about five years but I still get really excited to drive it. As far as the speed and handling comparisons I think that it does not really matter. The NSX is a classic and I dare say will be compared to some of the classic muscle cars of the 60s and 70s. If you compare the handling of a C2 Corvette to a Corvette today the C2 drives like a box with wheels on it but I'd still rather have a C2 coupe to a C7 any day of the week. Just my .02 cents.

If I was going to do more track events and wanted less hassle with stuff breaking then sure.

Couple of points:

1. You can't compare a NSX -Turbo to a stock GT3.
2. If you have an itch then scratch you must!!

I think the 997GT3 is a wonderful car. I owned one for 4 years and it was flawless but it comes with its own quirks. The styling is a bit dated while NSX is Iconic. Steering feel is amazing - the best I have ever driven. Engine pulls hard but doesn't sound melodic when stock. Stock suspension is a bit stiff and the short wheelbase makes for a unsettled feel.

My recommendation: If you are going yo make it a dedicated track car then GT3. Otherwise a 991S or a Cayman GTS or a 997TT will be a better choice.

Back