• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wrong place at the wrong time??

I don't understand the description. It sounds like the pit lane (staging area) is right across a grass median from the front straight. Is that the way the "east course" at Pocono is set up? :confused: All the tracks I can think of have armco that would prevent anyone who loses control on the track from reaching the staging area in pit lane.

Last edited:
Ouch!

What a sickening picture, that looks like the end of the road for another gorgeous Kaiser.

<pic deleted at owner's request>

Best of luck to the owner in getting that sorted out!

Last edited:
:eek: :eek: :eek: - I wonder if the EVO owner's insurance is responsible for this.

This is a coarse reminder of making sure to get your insurance straight before leaving to the track. A close friend lost his rare jaguar and ended up having to take a fault-claim in order to get his money. He was hit during a training session, wasn't even racing. Many insurance companies will not cover these 'off-road' activities [how are you going to make sure the 'other' guys insurance is going to cover YOU?]. It was a sad time for a while, to lose a car in that manner during his first track session in the car.

Hey guys... that was my NSX and a friends G35... But we are working to get these pics off all the forums for now until this matter is taken care of with our insurances.

I'll post details once this whole thing is over...:frown:

Re: Finding the driving club that's right for you

Yeah Ken, Pocono is like that. Since the tri-oval is broken up into three road courses, none of them use the real pit lane at all. On the North course, you actually stage on the front straight going backwards. Like all ovals trying to do double duty as road courses, its a compromise. But it is manageable, as long as you keep your participants under control. Sounds like this guy should've been taken off the track a lot sooner.

Looks like this was a PDA event. They are fun to run with because they are a more relaxed group, as compared to other groups who can get pretty restrictive. That can be a refreshing change for those of us who run with a bunch of clubs, but you have to know that going in. These guys aren't going to hold your hand and watch your every move. This isn't BMWCCA or PCA. We're all adults and this is a race track. When you're out there, you're on your own. Some people won't run with PDA because of that. But others swear by it and won't run with anyone else. The lesson here is, not all clubs are created equal. You have to get to know them and find the one that does things the way you like.

So sad though. But I can't imagine how anyone is going to get any insurance money out of this. As far as I knew, no normal street car insurance will cover anything that happens on a track. Not even an autocross. I'm terrified of my insurance company finding out that I'm even interested in motorsports, never mind racing my own car. I've never had any misconceptions about taking a car out on the track. I won't track a car unless I can consider it completely disposable. And I won't get behind the wheel of a student's car unless I know I can buy it. Not that track events are that dangerous, heck, we all joke about how its safer than driving on the street. But you have to be honest with yourself - you have no insurance. Unless you pay for special track day insurance, on the track you're entire investment is completely exposed. You have no hope of getting a penny for so much as a ding incurred on pit lane. I feel its very important to be aware of that going to these events because all our lives we take our car insurance for granted. We feel safe knowing its there. And I have to remind myself when I go to the track that its not. Am I wrong about this? I hope so. I hope these guys can recoup some of their losses. I'll be very interested to hear how it turns out.

-Gregg

JaySpec7 said:
Hey guys... that was my NSX and a friends G35... But we are working to get these pics off all the forums for now until this matter is taken care of with our insurances.

Wow that really sucks!

I was wondering if it was someone's car from this forum. At least your OK. Hope everything works out OK with insurance.

Carl

Now there is a video of it on streetfire... (check the origional thread for a link)...

Re: Finding the driving club that's right for you

GreggMarkarian said:
So sad though. But I can't imagine how anyone is going to get any insurance money out of this. As far as I knew, no normal street car insurance will cover anything that happens on a track. Not even an autocross. I'm terrified of my insurance company finding out that I'm even interested in motorsports, never mind racing my own car. I've never had any misconceptions about taking a car out on the track. I won't track a car unless I can consider it completely disposable. And I won't get behind the wheel of a student's car unless I know I can buy it. Not that track events are that dangerous, heck, we all joke about how its safer than driving on the street. But you have to be honest with yourself - you have no insurance. Unless you pay for special track day insurance, on the track you're entire investment is completely exposed. You have no hope of getting a penny for so much as a ding incurred on pit lane. I feel its very important to be aware of that going to these events because all our lives we take our car insurance for granted. We feel safe knowing its there. And I have to remind myself when I go to the track that its not. Am I wrong about this? I hope so. I hope these guys can recoup some of their losses. I'll be very interested to hear how it turns out.
-Gregg

Insurance coverage is determined by the language of the insurance policy. In order for the policy to exclude coverage for a track event, it has to contain language that does so.

I wrecked my NSX at a HPDE at Road America in September. My insurance policy excluded coverage for "Racing and preparation for racing". I informed the insurer of the circumstances of the incident and was able to convince them that a driver education event that was non-competitive, non-timed and involved classroom and on-course instruction did not constitute racing or preparation for racing. They paid for the car.

Why doesnt someone lock this thread?:confused: At least until insurance steps in:wink:

anger management

WOW:eek: JaySpec7, Your a better person then me.

I guess something like that would really show if ALL my anger management classes actually worked:mad:

Especially after I read the story on the other website and saw the pictures:frown: , the guy had already gotten in trouble once for the day for spinning out and running crazy...man I'm mad just reading the story, I need to get off here.

http://www.jayspec7.com/forsale/nsx/nsx_forsale.htm

Remember that this car was for sale...

I hope everything works out with the insurance. I'll refrain from trying to make this thread encourage more pics or postings. Maybe the best thing might be to sell most of the upgrades off the car since insurance might not give you $$$ for that. I know certain buyers would pay well, especially in Kaiser Silver.

Good Luck.

Man I hate track workers, they have no consideration about your car.
If the NSX owner saw that shovel leaning against the NSX he might get pissed
:biggrin:
joking aside. poor nsx :frown:

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the instuctor that kept trying to turn the driver's wheel for him? Really sorry to hear about your accident JaySpec7. :(

The Kid said:
Why doesnt someone lock this thread?:confused: At least until insurance steps in:wink:

Why?

Pretty obvious what happened... If anything it HELPS his case because he wasn't driving / the car wasn't moving and there is video to prove that. Aside from that, it is probably on 20 other boards right now more popular than this one...

The constant talk about 'locking the thread' and 'removing the pics' leads me to believe that some of you are condoning the thought of insurance fraud.....

sigh, sometimes people who drive AWD cars get a bit overconfident in their abilities and this is what happens......I feel your pain

His car was not moving. It was ONLY parked on private property.

What a disaster.

THat car looks like a write off to me. Id be looking at the policy wording because mine is as BRAHWT8 describes his as, and have a few friends with similar who have been succesful at having HPDE events covered.

I would be putting pressure on Team Evo to get it under his. If not, I wonder if this could become a civil matter, after all, he did hit his parked car. What would be the difference between this an if Evo flew off the track and into the parking lot?

NSXLuvr said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: - I wonder if the EVO owner's insurance is responsible for this.

Can you imagine the size of THAT claim and explaining to your insurance carrier why they should cover roughly $150,000 in totaleed cars?? If they denied his claim that guy would be totally screwed. :eek:

sahtt said:
This is a coarse reminder of making sure to get your insurance straight before leaving to the track. A close friend lost his rare jaguar and ended up having to take a fault-claim in order to get his money. He was hit during a training session, wasn't even racing. Many insurance companies will not cover these 'off-road' activities [how are you going to make sure the 'other' guys insurance is going to cover YOU?]. It was a sad time for a while, to lose a car in that manner during his first track session in the car.

Yikes...what model of Jaguar??

JaySpec7 said:

Sorry to hear that, man. That was a beautiful car and I am sorry that a freak accident took it out. :(

OneRedNSX said:
The constant talk about 'locking the thread' and 'removing the pics' leads me to believe that some of you are condoning the thought of insurance fraud.....

Id like to see what happens when the tables are turned! The gentleman who's NSX was hit has asked it to be closed, CLOSE THE THREAD! Thought we are supposed to be a family and help each other, where's the love:wink:

Back