• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

YIKES!! airbus wing strike @ hamburg airport

I can't believe he even tried to land with those kind of cross winds.:confused:

Poor pilot technique. Transport aircraft are designed for alot more side loads on the main landing gear. Ask Skyguy how you land a 747? Leave it in the crab, kick rudder at the last second and let inertia do it is work... plane will straighten out itself. They finally changed our Ops Manual and put in a max X-wind limitation when we went to CAT II operations (27 kts, 15 kts for Cat II). Prior to that, I believe the highest x-wind component I landed in was 43 kts, plus gusts (can't remember).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmDdQz6QlFs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmDdQz6QlFs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

What? In my opinion did the pilot an excellent job reacting so fast to safe the plane and the passengers from worse.

Looks like he took it out of the crab too early, and over corrected for the gust. At that point it was a good save. Must of been the Captain who did the save. :rolleyes:

We are now flying with new hires that have under 300TT and they don't understand that you can't land a large aircraft the same way you land the 172s they were flying last month. :eek: Shame that I let my CFI lapse 10 years ago, never thought I would be instructing again. :cool:

Should they be attempting a landing at those crosswinds in the first place? Not saying he's busting limits but just curious.

Klayton,
You're from Germany what was the wind condition that day? ... Was this during the 'Anna' weather system passing through?

The landing looked good down to 50 ft or so and then the pilot did not have enough crab and started to drift off the center line. Then he cranked in lots of crab to get back to the center line which happened as soon as he had to strighten it out to touch down. When he made the big adjustment to the crab he was behind the airplane and the landing was doomed to be a wild ride.

I have had one landing where the cross wind got under the wing and lifts it, its not a plesent feeling.

Back