• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

300 whp without opening your engine?

I am selling my STMPO exhaust system which is one of the most free flowing systems on the market, the majority is also ceramic coated by the best we have to offer here also as mentioned in these posts.

Another thought is what about aftermarket coil packs? like spitfire make for the 300zx. Methanol injections may help boost a few extra octane points if tuned it may see a bhp increase possibly not like on boosted cars though.

Does anyone make light weight pulleys? not including crank because we have the ATI available.

Things like removing EGR, oil return feed surely make very slight marginal differences and that can be free mods.

EGR isn't going to gain you on a Honda, ask SR5guy, the whole engine and ecu are tuned to use the EGR in the setup, runing with out it will make a stock ecu run lean and hot.
Coilpack design on a NSX is pretty good, maybe additional ground could help certainly on DBW cars.

Another thought is what about aftermarket coil packs? like spitfire make for the 300zx.
Things like removing EGR, oil return feed surely make very slight marginal differences and that can be free mods.

I am waiting for this to become avail: Federal-Mogul Advanced Corona Ignition System (ACIS) Technology
http://media.federalmogul.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251259&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1674495&highlight=
there is very little info since the Frankfurt auto show back in 2011 as far as making it to market but seems like Fed. Mogul had put a lot of effort/funding in this and the result seems promising so I hope it will become avail. so we can spend more money on our cars.:eek:
The article did not mention hp increase but with more complete combustion the hp increase should follow.

Last edited:
I am waiting for this to become avail: Federal-Mogul Advanced Corona Ignition System (ACIS) Technology
http://media.federalmogul.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251259&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1674495&highlight=
there is very little info since the Frankfurt auto show back in 2011 as far as making it to market but seems like Fed. Mogul had put a lot of effort/funding in this and the result seems promising so I hope it will become avail. so we can spend more money on our cars.:eek:
The article did not mention hp increase but with more complete combustion the hp increase should follow.
Sounds interesting but in the article the are referring to direct injection engines, which does have a different combustion setup than our multi-point system.
I doubt you'd see huge increase in a old NA multipoint system certainly at our comp ratio.

Trying to improve the flow with out head shaving.
I'm working on more detailed simulations to better compute the improvements.
Current design in't practical cost wise, working on getting a comprise that isn't so complex.

If you can improve the flow, enhance insolate and avoid head shaving I'll be interested in this gasket... please let me know when you complete the development :wink:

Hi,

OEM = 1,5mm
2mm difference calculate that in the runner/port diameter x air velocity = spoiler/gurney flap idea.

I have a idea on how to improve that, i'll be mailing nuno,

ok... the sizes you asked me by PM are:

width = 55.9mm
height = 58.2mm (it includes the included injector hole)
height = 45.3mm (if it didn't had any injector hole)

Hope this helps.

Nuno

I am selling my STMPO exhaust system which is one of the most free flowing systems on the market, the majority is also ceramic coated by the best we have to offer here also as mentioned in these posts.

Another thought is what about aftermarket coil packs? like spitfire make for the 300zx. Methanol injections may help boost a few extra octane points if tuned it may see a bhp increase possibly not like on boosted cars though.

Does anyone make light weight pulleys? not including crank because we have the ATI available.

Just replace the original coil pack with new OEM will bring a noticeble difference in throttle response and idle smoothness.

Just replace the original coil pack with new OEM will bring a noticeble difference in throttle response and idle smoothness.
A good clean should be enough, they are a rather simple part not goes wrong internally just bad connections generally.

A good clean should be enough, they are a rather simple part not goes wrong internally just bad connections generally.

Do you clean the spark plugs or replace it? Coil do wear/degrade over time/mileage. I have repair countless vehicles due to weak/defective coils. Of course YMMV.

Do you clean the spark plugs or replace it? Coil do wear/degrade over time/mileage. I have repair countless vehicles due to weak/defective coils. Of course YMMV.
Sparkplugs are exposed, coilpacks aren't if the become troublesome just replace them but if they are working fine, cleaning them as preventive maintenance never hurts.
BTW, even the manual recommends cleaning plugs at certain intervals. a fouled spark plug isn't a damaged plug just clean it.
off-course if the spark plugs are near the end of service live (ether in millage or age) just replace.

Last edited:
Sparkplugs are exposed, coilpacks aren't if the become troublesome just replace them but if they are working fine, cleaning them as preventive maintenance never hurts.
BTW, even the manual recommends cleaning plugs at certain intervals. a fouled spark plug isn't a damaged plug just clean it.
off-course if the spark plugs are near the end of service live (ether in millage or age) just replace.

Would you kindly show us how to clean the coil packs? I would love to learn something new and save my customer some $$$ in the process. BTW, Please don't spread useless tips for others on Prime. Mine comment on replacement of original coils for better response and idle smoothness is proven over and over for countless customers in mine shop. If I recommended them based on road test. The customer have always been happy with the final result. Just my .002

Please don't spread useless tips for others on Prime.

I don't think the tips so far are useless by any means. Anyone with knowledge and experience with of electrical components and how they work knows their "achilles heel" is where they connect to next components, and that dirt or especially oily dirt can create an open circuit, alternate path or high resistance. Basic maintenance such as pulling the coils and plugs and cleaning them is good practice. Cleaning in this case is just an external wipe, paying special attention to the connectors (in and out), nothing special and without disassembling.

You still haven't answered why replacing the coil packs is justfiied. The fact you've done it for many customers doesn't convince me. Any perceived improvements could simply be because you removed dirty coils and put in clean ones. Solid state electronics are generally very reliable, partly because there are no moving parts.

On the other hand the coil packs do generate high voltage, so I am keeping my mind open to the possibility they do deteriorate internally, but I still need convincing.

BTW what does YMMV mean?

Last edited:
Let's get back to to topic, as far as convincing you. You seems to have a opinion that I don't care to change. If you consider that the coil have a locking tab to keep in place and it is held down by the 2 bolts, then you will realize that cleaning it is waste of time.(They don't get "dirty") The reason to replace it is due to component fatigue and weaker spark. BTW. Prime is fully of know it all and I will refrain from offering any more advices.

It sounds like this type of Ignition system work being discussed is only talking about restoring the NSX back to it's optimum operating state... which is fine, but nothing about gains. To stay on topic and stay on the Ignition system... are there any gains to be had by improving the stock system?

- Would there be any improvement for OBDI NSXs to use the larger OBDII coils? (yes the connectors would have to be modified and one wire ignored)
- Would there be any improvement for OBDII NSXs to use higher output coils?

I suspect there may be some improvement for the OBDI NSXs but I wonder if the OBDII NSXs are leaving anything on the table or if they are as efficient as possible already... all things being equal i.e. brand new coils & plugs.

Not that sure on increasing the coil would make a huge difference,
A acquaintance of mine has done a lot of testing with different spark plug setups (regular, platinum, iridium and plasma) i'd need to ask him if it head any real effect. (not on a Honda engine)
I know from work on classic cars up rated coils do help with old school ignition systems.

NSX is already very well developed way a head of it's time.
So i'd need to some more research on how the bigger spark would effect the engine like the NSX's, as i can for see a rough mix in a low comp engine being very susceptible to these improvements.

Any update on the revised gaskets? I would be interested if they solved the flow issue- I want my NSX to run smoothly with no issues.

Not that sure on increasing the coil would make a huge difference,
A acquaintance of mine has done a lot of testing with different spark plug setups (regular, platinum, iridium and plasma) i'd need to ask him if it head any real effect. (not on a Honda engine)
I know from work on classic cars up rated coils do help with old school ignition systems.

NSX is already very well developed way a head of it's time.
So i'd need to some more research on how the bigger spark would effect the engine like the NSX's, as i can for see a rough mix in a low comp engine being very susceptible to these improvements.

Federal Mogul was doing R&D on Conona ignition sys. back in 2011 which sounded quite promising but not much news since then. This concept is not new and the theory sure sounds good having more complete combustion to be more efficient => hp/mpg but sure like to know the outcome pros and cons. My guess is it won't be an AM P&P system that can be retro fitted to an existing ignition system.
http://www.automotivedesign.eu.com/...nition-system-showcased-by-Federal-Mogul.aspx

Back