• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 NSX with 94 trans no NC spd Sensor! Code 33

I have a 95 NSX-T 5 speed that I put a 94 5 speed trans in with an OS Giken differential. Now that my 7 -1/2 year car project is registered I see EPS light coming on and power steering goes dead. Reset with fuse but light comes back on. Replaced the rack ground strap with new overkill wire and gold terminals, purchased a new Optima yellow top battery. Went to the Acura dealer and had an EPS scan, code 33 comes up. This refers to NC speed sensor on the trans. On the 94 trans in my car I see an unused connector hanging from the harness that reaches an aluminum plug with one bolt retension. Speedometer NM sensor has three bolts and a heat shield. Wire color for two pin connector is blue/white and blue/red
Is it possible to buy an NC sensor and remove the plug and install it? Is internal magnet or whatever drives speed sensor there? Is there a way to "trick" EPS into "seeing" a speed and make it work? Any ideas would be great, has anyone experienced this situation before?

Attachments

• NC Spd Sensor 1.jpg
    NC Spd Sensor 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 56
  • NC Spd Sensor Plug.jpg
    NC Spd Sensor Plug.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Yes, in 1995 the EPS system was updated and requires this additional speed sensor.

Go here:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...OUSING&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

You will need to order #14 ($79:)) and install it. When you install the speed sensor make sure you check the depth of the sensor and that it DOES NOT hit the ring gear on the OS Giken, you may need to shim it slightly.

mmm.... Now that I think about it, isn't the original sensor in your 1995 trans? Just swap it for the cover:).

Actually a pretty easy fix;).

Good Luck,

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Larry,

Thanks! I have a lightweight aluminum flywheel supplied by SPEC clutches. Will do a depth measurement and measure new sensor. Don't have the original sensor because I bought the 95 T for $6k as a parts car. Will keep you posted as to my progress.
Stephen

Yes, in 1995 the EPS system was updated and requires this additional speed sensor.

Go here:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...OUSING&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

You will need to order #14 ($79:)) and install it. When you install the speed sensor make sure you check the depth of the sensor and that it DOES NOT hit the ring gear on the OS Giken, you may need to shim it slightly.

mmm.... Now that I think about it, isn't the original sensor in your 1995 trans? Just swap it for the cover:).

Actually a pretty easy fix;).

Good Luck,

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
I may have that other sensor on my spare "junk" trans. Let me know if you need it and I'll snoop around in the dungeon to look for it

Larry,

Thanks! I have a lightweight aluminum flywheel supplied by SPEC clutches. Will do a depth measurement and measure new sensor. Don't have the original sensor because I bought the 95 T for $6k as a parts car. Will keep you posted as to my progress.
Stephen

Remember the clearance is not the flywheel, but rather the ring gear on the dif:).

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

Thanks for the expertise and advise. Turns out it is the diff gear not the starter ring like you mentioned before. The NC part number from Acura is 28820-PR9-004 which is not a stock item at the Acura dealer. Wanted to work on the car this weekend so took a trip to my local "pick-a-part" Ecology Auto in San Yisidro, CA. They had a 4 cylinder 04 Accord that had a similar NC unit. Removed it and paid $7.50 + tax taking a chance I could use it. Looked identical to many different Honda and Acura NC sensors. Turns out the Honda sensor plugged right into 95 NSX harness connector. Unbolted and unplugged evaporative solenoid assembly and put it asside. Next removed the plug in my early NSX trans and observed the gear underneath. Took a crude measurement of the depth and used that to judge clearance with the Honda Accord sensor. There was about 1/16th inch clearance. Bolted used unit in and rolled the car by hand listening for any rubbing noise, there was none. Drove the car around the block and Walah! EPS light stayed off and power steering is working again! Now the SRS light for another day.............
Stephen

Remember the clearance is not the flywheel, but rather the ring gear on the dif:).

Regards,
LarryB

Attachments

• 04 Accord NC sensor sm.jpg
    04 Accord NC sensor sm.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 38
  • Rmv Evap Cntrl 1 sm.jpg
    Rmv Evap Cntrl 1 sm.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Plug Removed sm.jpg
    Plug Removed sm.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 40