• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Mulling Program to Restore U.S. Customers' Classic NSXs to Virtually New

If there is enough demand, it could happen. However, it's not cheap. At Honda in Japan, an engine overhaul is ~$24K. A suspension refresh is also ~$24K. An interior overhaul is ~$23K. A factory repaint is $38K. Here is the price chart for the same program in Japan: https://www.honda.co.jp/auto-archive/nsx/2005/special/refresh-plan/menu/

I think it's cheaper to find a used NSX with < 10K miles.

If there is enough demand, it could happen. However, it's not cheap. At Honda in Japan, an engine overhaul is ~$24K. A suspension refresh is also ~$24K. An interior overhaul is ~$23K. A factory repaint is $38K. Here is the price chart for the same program in Japan: https://www.honda.co.jp/auto-archive/nsx/2005/special/refresh-plan/menu/

I think it's cheaper to find a used NSX with < 10K miles.

Yeow!. I thought dealership costs were high. The Honda JDM refresh plan does seem to involve an awful lot of outright parts replacement and I am guessing that they are pricing parts out at the dealer list price for spare parts. I can see this working for collectors. Not so much for regular owners. But, with the regulatory requirements around older vehicles in Japan perhaps there are no 'regular' NSX owners left in the game.

Yeow!. perhaps there are no 'regular' NSX owners left in the game.

you need lots of roughage in this world of highly processed foods....

you need lots of roughage in this world of highly processed foods....

I don't think there is enough bran in my Shredded Wheat & Bran to remain a regular owner in that world.

HaHa RSO is a closet nsx geek.....:biggrin:

This is great, but someone could tell them that it would be much appreciated to hear that Honda restart production of all parts and accessories. It would help a lot more owners keep the NSX in good condition on the road.

Mercedes has been doing this for decades... you can send your 300SL gullwing coupe to Germany for a complete rebuild and it comes back like a new car.
Of course there's the $$$$$
H-

AHM put a lot of money into the PMC and while it was advertised as specific for the NSX, I'm sure they also had a long term plan for how to monetize all of the special equipment and expertise in that center. The "PMC special edition" Acuras were step one. It seems natural to leverage the resources there into a high-margin restoration program for owners that really care about their car and for collectors. I have no doubt the PMC can duplicate all of the capabilities of the NSX Refresh Center in Tochigi, including frame repair/correction. The real key is parts availability, which is why this is such exciting news. If they are going to start a Refresh Program, they will need a steady stream of available parts, which likely means US-based parts production and restoration of discontinued parts. That's good news for all of us owners. They will also need very specialized Gen1 NSX training for the workforce. That could be more complicated and take longer. Going through essentially a full refresh program myself, the costs aren't that surprising. Most of us purchased our NSXs for much less that the original price. It seems reasonable to spend that differential to get it back to new condition. It's pretty much what I'm doing with my 92. What is more interesting is whether they will support Type S and NSX-R conversions with legit parts and a Honda stamp of authenticity. There might be DOT/NHTSA issues there though...

Lol ...If this does happen it is not for the average owner storing their car under a tarp, looking in scrap yards for interchangeable Honda parts, deciding what wrap to use to cover the charred paint.Its for the folks who are buying the 6 figure cars, and current owners of condition 1/2 cars that are appreciating.

Lol ...If this does happen it is not for the average owner storing their car under a tarp, looking in scrap yards for interchangeable Honda parts, deciding what wrap to use to cover the charred paint.Its for the folks who are buying the 6 figure cars, and current owners of condition 1/2 cars that are appreciating.

I had heard (totally hearsay) years ago that the price for a full, down-to-the-bolts refresh like what I am doing was equivalent to $85,000. The good news here, based on Bob's photos, is that it looks like the owner gets a "menu" of items, so the service should be reachable for many owners if the PMC follows the same model. I find it interesting that the base level "refresh" service always requires fully replacing the door guts and rubber seals. It seems that at least Honda believes this to be the main area that needs addressing on older NSXs. Makes me wonder if I really should be re-using my regulators and window rails...

I think it is important for the brand to allow the 1% to have an open checkbook on the aging car. It is essential validation as a collectible exotic.

2020.10.10-USDM-NSX-Restoration-program.jpg

If you got everything above, that’s $141,300

My post in 2010:

“ Only one camera allowed into Honda.........:biggrin:

1095747833_NAHnb-XL.jpg

For $45,000, you can still get "Refreshed":

1095470266_8BT3K-XL.jpg

1095742574_ca8DV-XL.jpg

1095741813_sWRRd-XL.jpg

1095742231_Ku2tu-XL.jpg

1095743128_cBfep-XL.jpg

1095743388_2ESfv-XL.jpg

1095743695_VGcnd-XL.jpg

1095744397_p5Tv3-XL.jpg

1095744777_SDbjt-XL.jpg

1095745037_mN43T-XL.jpg

1095745319_32q4M-XL.jpg

1095745493_GiQEV-XL.jpg

1095745901_Q46dF-XL.jpg

1095907028_tD8cX-XL.jpg

Last edited:
..did they design asimo based on Larry's body dimensions?

HAHA that is Awesome......

The thing is... What if the quality of the refresh is meh? I know it'sa factory program so the default assumption is it has to meet some level of standard. However, the original NSX workers are long retired. The car was basically hand built where today's factory workers are use to using machines that are calibrated for a production line. Lots more reasons I can think of... Honda had never had a restoration business line other OEMs... The rumor is the work coming out of the Japan NSX resto shop isn't all that good too. Now take that with a grain of salt. I have no personal experience and have never seen any of those cars up close. I'm just saying... I still have a lot of questions and I hope Honda proves me wrong.

I have a better idea. Take your car to Colin O'Brien (general manager) and Pat Constantine (master mechanic) at Friendly Acura in Middletown, NY. They made my 98 Coupe perfect! It has never been better and I am the original owner.

01 NSX Engine coming out.jpg02 Engine Out with Pat.jpg03 NSX Timing Belt.jpg
04 Engine Back in car.jpg05 NSX Compression Test.jpg06 Detail Interior.jpg07 NSX Complete.jpg

Better yet, here's an old grainy video of me racing at Raceway Park. The "luxo leather car" referred to by the announcer is actually an experimental Acura CL with a modified 3.5 Liter Engine from the Honda America Race Team (HART) in Marysville, Ohio. My NSX is stock except for a cold air intake and free flowing exhaust.

Last edited:
not bad for a NA2.....:cool:

Got the survey email from Acura with potential pricing. My final comment was that if someone does every service offered with the total cost as a new car, then they should essentially get a new car with new vin and zero miles to be worth doing.

IMG_1636[1].jpgIMG_1631[1].jpgIMG_1633[1].jpgIMG_1632[1].jpgIMG_1627[1].jpgIMG_1638[1].jpgIMG_1639[1].jpgIMG_1634[1].jpgIMG_1635[1].jpgIMG_1628[1].jpgIMG_1630[1].jpgIMG_1637[1].jpgIMG_1629[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back