• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Nose badge

I don't know, but I never would have bought that ferrocious twin turbo Nissan 300ZX back in 1992 if it had been called a "Fairlady" (Japanese name for 300ZX) :)

......Marketing

Ken, of ocurse no offense is taken on my side when we discuss and I love humor (badge humor included). It was only that sometime I get my "to be precise" illness... and I cannot resist in debating over small things.

Afterall debating (in a sane way) is what keeps forums running...

Now, back to the Ferrari thing...

this could be a better logo than the FIAT one:

logobarillaweb4.jpg

and it would blend perfectly on the red cars... :D

Here's a question - what do cars like the "Chevy" Corvette and the "Dodge" Viper sell as abroad?

I too have gone for the full H revision, tail lamps, front nose badge, and airbag. To me, Acura cheapens the Honda image. By taking some of the "nicer" Hondas and selling them as "upscale" Acuras, Honda missed an opportunity to work to refine their brand in the US, IMO.

As to the comment about Hondas making cheap commuter cars, I agree 100% that is still a common perception - heck, I do everything I can to spread that perception - even my NSX is a cheap commuter version of a Ferrari/exotic. :D :p

so I guess Lexus cheapens Toyota? Infinity cheapens Nissan?
Lincoln cheapens Ford? etc...... It's just marketing!!!

The only thing that cheapens a car is when you make it some something other then what it was meant to be...It's called a fake.... It reminds me of that Ferrari Lamerossa.

theeaman said:
how involved is it to remove the emblem badge on the front hood OF MY '91 NSX? how do i go about it?

If you are going to replace it with another solid badge, all you need to do is take a screwdriver, wrap the end in a shirt or towel, and pry it off. But beware, there are going to be two holes in the bumper because the OEM badge has two prongs on the back where it is mounted into the bumper cover.

I had mine removed and the holes filled in when my bumper was repainted and WW kit installed.

Actually, SoCalNSX, I would tend to agree that Lexus cheapens the Toyota lineup and Infiinity cheapens the Nissan lineup.

After seeing both the 350Z and the Inifity version, I feel that the 350Z is the weaker car. I also know that the Infinity "SUV" seems to be a lot nicer than the Nissan version. I'm not very familiar with Toyotas (other than the MR2), but I don't know of a nicer Toyota than a Camry (is the Solara a Camry package?). But there are plenty of nice Lexi (plural of Lexus?) around.

It frustrates me that the Japanese carmakers, rather than fighting the American stereotype of econoboxes, instead choose to rebadge a given series of cars to an imaginary make. It is also insulting to me as an American that Japanese automakers apparently have so little regard for our intellect, that they think they can make a change like this and fool the American public. The fact that they for the most part can is not reassuring.

burbel said:
what do cars like the "Chevy" Corvette and the "Dodge" Viper sell as abroad?

For the most part, they don't.

burbel said:
It frustrates me that the Japanese carmakers, rather than fighting the American stereotype of econoboxes, instead choose to rebadge a given series of cars to an imaginary make. It is also insulting to me as an American that Japanese automakers apparently have so little regard for our intellect, that they think they can make a change like this and fool the American public.

Then I guess the American carmakers have equally little regard for our intellect when they rebadged their cars to create "imaginary" makes like Cadillac and Lincoln... :rolleyes:

I heard from a guy at Honda there's a good reason for the dual badging of cars in the US.

When Honda brought out the NSX, they wanted to make sure the dealers were up to the job of selling and supporting it. Apparantly it's very hard to force dealers to raise their standards, after they have signed up to be dealers. So it is easier to just start a new brand with new dealers with the standards already set.

In the UK they could just choose a limited number of dealers that met or could meet the standards Honda wanted, so there's no need for a different brand.

This could be wrong, I don't know. There's sometimes more reasons than first as to appears as to why car makers do the things they do. LIke why certain models are imported into some countries while not imported into others.

j14nsx said:
I heard from a guy at Honda there's a good reason for the dual badging of cars in the US.

When Honda brought out the NSX, they wanted to make sure the dealers were up to the job of selling and supporting it. Apparantly it's very hard to force dealers to raise their standards, after they have signed up to be dealers. So it is easier to just start a new brand with new dealers with the standards already set.

That's basically correct. Honda (and Toyota and Nissan) wanted to move into the luxury car market, and felt that they needed higher standards of sales and service practices to do so. Part of it was perception, but perception can be formed by how you are treated when you walk into a dealership. There would be a difference between walking into, say, a Honda dealership that is twinned with a Chevy dealership, vs walking into an Acura dealership. And indeed, one of the principles that they established in granting franchises for all the new dealerships (Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti) was that each would be a stand-alone dealership, not twinned with another make, so that they could have more control over all the practices and personnel.

However, this wasn't done for the introduction of the NSX. The Acura brand was introduced in 1986, 4-5 years before the NSX came to market.

burbel,

I think the Viper might actually be called a "Chrysler Viper" in Europe but I very well may be wrong. I believe the Corvette sells as a Cheverolet over there as well.

I do not think there is anything wrong with companies basing three or four different cars on one platform and selling it under different brand names. For example, Ford makes the Expedition and Navigator on the same platform. The Lincoln will cost about twenty thousand more but you get fancier body work, more chrome, more leather, wood trim, and a better sound system. Most of the cars are like this wherein there is a significant difference between one brand and the other.

In the case of the NSX, there is no difference other than those needed to satisfy government regulations. I do not see a difference between a Honda NSX and an Acura NSX. Thus, it makes no difference what badge they put on the car. Someone here mentioned that by putting Honda badges on the Acura NSX, you are making it something it is not. I submit that the individual who puts Honda badges on the NSX is doing nothing more than changing the badges. Again, the Honda NSX is no different than the Acura NSX.

I would not feel the same if someone put Lincoln tags on a Ford Expedition. Although they share the same drivetrain, there are significant differences to justify the different branding.

With that said, it is up to the individual. Personally, I like the NSX badges. Burbel's car was the first NSX I had seen with the swap and it looks very cool.

To each his own....Yes, I know the NSX is the same weather it's a Honda or an Acura, thats what cracks me up when I see someone with the Honda NSX in America..Like, since its a Honda, it is more real or something??? what ever floats your boat....
I for one, am not ashamed or put off by the Acura badge....

Eric5273 said:
You should lose 1 year and 14k miles on your factory warranty when you change to a Honda badge. :D

That's ok with me, my 1991 is long finished in that department. ;)

I guess the difference to me between "platform" variances (like the Chevy Camaro and the Pontiac Firebird, or the Chevy Tahoe, Cadillac Escalade, and the new H2) is that two different design shops take the same base platform, put on essentially a body kit (differing trim levels inside and out, maybe an improved engine/transmission), and sell it as a different car.

As I understand it, the NSX and the Integra are both sold in almost identical configurations overseas (the rest of the world, I beilieve) to what we have here. Although if the folks at Chrysler are re-badging their cars for Europe, I guess this is a widespread phenomenon, and not just something unique to Japan -< America.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I feel there is some huge conspiracy against us in my previous post, although, reading through it, I did notice that tone... Here, how 'bout this one - I like the H better than the A. ;)

Just thought I would throw my $0.02 into the fray. I have the Honda badge on the front of my car as well. I did this for a few reasons. I, for one, hate badges of any and all types. I remove all that I can off of all my cars where there are no locating pins.

First off, I am like others who think the Acrua logo is weak. The sylized caliper in the shape of an 'A' looks, IMHO, contrived and dated. Others may like it, I do not.

Second. The Honda badge is super thin compared to the OEM Acura badge which I think looks like a puffy sticker gone bad. The Honda badge integrates with the flat sloped nose of the NSX better IMHO.

Third. I was under the impression that there was only one color you could get the Acura Badges in (silver/gray). Perhaps I am mistaken. At any rate, I wanted a color matched badge. I think the only way you get a color-*similar* badge is aftermaker whitch IMHO look cheaply made. I stress similar because the colors of the OEM Honda badges match perfectly to the paint schemes.

(BTW. I think the original poster who asked the question of what color should go with color matched.)

I think it looks better. And to be honest, when people ask me what kind of car I have I tell them I have an Legend. If they press me because they know I have more than one, I tell them I have another Honda. They usually drop it at that. I like it better that way. Then if they ever see the car, it says Honda and I am not lying. :)

BTW, SoCalNSX. I had a SC400 which I rebadged with the Red Griffin, and Toyota badges to the JDM name of Soarer. My wife and I have an IS300 which I would like to change to a Toyota Altezza, but have not gotten the OK. I do it because in my derranged mind I think it is cool. That you do no think the same, bothers me not in the slightest.

Cheers!

Jeff

:D :D :D

Dr.Lane said:
If you are going to replace it with another solid badge, all you need to do is take a screwdriver, wrap the end in a shirt or towel, and pry it off. But beware, there are going to be two holes in the bumper because the OEM badge has two prongs on the back where it is mounted into the bumper cover.

I had mine removed and the holes filled in when my bumper was repainted and WW kit installed.

There are retaining clips that are on the backs of the two locating pins on the back of the badge. Simply taking a screwdriver and wrapping it in a protective material will likely cause marks in the nose. I would do one of two things. 1. remove the nose, remove the pins, heat up the badge and pry it off with your fingers and not metal tools. 2. Pay someone else to do it and let them take the liability if they screw it up.

I did mine using the 1st mentod.

Good Luck

For one thing, putting on the Honda badges just makes for better continuity at least for the pre 2002 models. I always wondered why Honda would go through all the trouble of putting on Acura badges for the North American and HK cars only to leave many other visable thing on the car to say Honda, like the engine convers, warning stickers, parts bags and such. Sometimes people who are not car smart ask why it has a Honda engine if its supposed to be an Acura? At least as of late Lexus started etching their window glass with Lexus whereas they used to have Toyota on the Lexus windows. If Acura follows Lexus lead maybe they can raise their name status and be more independent from Honda.

I also wondered if having the "ACURA" name really justifies the higher cost for some people? I know often you can cross reference the Acura part and get it cheaper at a Honda dealership. But you know what? I give it up to Honda if they can make more money off of people simply by putting on a different badge. If it makes people think the car is worth more and has a high value status, more power to them. There is a reason why Honda brought out the S2000 as a Honda when most people thought it should have been an Acura.

Trade?

I have a yellow one and would prefer black. What color is yours? (sorry if you already said, but I didn't read the entire thread)

Oh, now I see that you have a red car. Well, you can still have my yellow one for your silver if you like.

Here's a question - what do cars like the "Chevy" Corvette and the "Dodge" Viper sell as abroad?

IN Australia, there are no chevy's, they are all rebadged as Holdens (our local manufacturer www.holden.com.au), same goes for Opel Vauxhall etc from Europe. I believe that you guys are now getting our Australian built 2 door Holden Monaro ( I think it's called a Pontiac GTO over there.)

The Dodge Viper is called the Chrysler Viper, however since we only got it about 2 years ago, most people still refer to it as the dodge viper.

And of course the NSX is the HONDA NSX. Most people have never even heard of ACURA.

slammed said:
And of course the NSX is the HONDA NSX. Most people have never even heard of ACURA.

Then again, most people have never even heard of the NSX, under either badge... :D

burbel said:

Here the Viper is a Chrysler-Dogde Viper (Chrysler since it is sold at Chrysler dealerships but it is not rebadged as one... FYI there are no Dodge dealerships).

The Corevette is sold as Chevrolet.

Does anyone know what kind of Honda the size badge I need is from? I was thinking of just getting a regular open silver badge. Can I get one at a regular Honda dealer?
TIA
Aaron

Back