• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Coolant Reservoir Tanks

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
What's the general consensus on the metal coolant tanks available from say Dali, SoS, etc? I've heard of potential pressure leaks as the primary problem with them. Not to mention the lack of a coolant level viewing window, but I can live w/o one.

There's a hairline crack in my OEM tank causing a pressure drop (which is probably why my car overheated this wknd). I also have a leaking oil-cooler but that's OT. In any event, I'd like to buy a metal coolant tank as a replacement not only because it looks better but I thought i'd be rid of the cracking problem going forward. I'm going to guess the pressure loss on the metal tanks is from a faulty cap or perhaps from subpar welds?

Please comment! I'm hoping I don't have to buy OEM as a replacement but i'd rather have something that works vs. having something that looks cool.

Thanks all!

This is what I had in mind...
dali-coolant-tank-ironside-black.image.jpg

I was also going to replace the OEM coolant tank with an aluminum one, namely due to the OEM tank turning yellow. I decided to keep the OEM tank and use the NSX R coolant tank cover instead. When I realized the aluminum tank was much heavier, I stuck with the OEM. Some members have painted their oem tanks matte black. That could also be another option.

I have the SoS one and it works faboulously, my cousin has a Dali one, which also work flawlessly. Between the 2, you are just choosing it by the style. Some like the milk bottle styling, some don't.

I wish I could keep the OEM tank but unfortunately, mine now has a crack in it and can't hold the pressure.

Definitely looking into buying either a Dali or SoS one. Didn't know about the weight difference though. Thanks for that info. It's something to consider.

I have Dali's red tank. I bought it to match my valve covers/intake cover otherwise I would've kept my stocker. It was very light empty.

Never had a problem w/ mine and it cleans up the engine bay quite a bit. W/ the Dali unit you will not need two metal bracket to hold it in place as you do with the oem. This helps with "weight concerns".
Your engine bay will look much better w/put the big milkjug sitting back there.:biggrin:

This pic was taken after a long day of driving down rain filled roads so the engine bay was quite dirty and wet.
DSC00073.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on my 3rd oem bottle now. My advise is to cover your engine. Yellowing is due to exposure to the sun and after sometimes the bottle will crack. I have no problem since the engine is covered. No yellowing and no cracking.

So I guess no one has had problems with pressure leaks/drops. That's reassuring.

yes I agree, its the sun.
It causes some kind of reaction with the plastic and yellows it. If you are into keeping things as original as possible, I would replace it with a new orginal milkjug and get the black half-cover from SOS. It has a view port.

Referencing the round metal "milk bottle" replacement design....

Anyone manufacture a a fix for the vacuum line that formerly attached to the bottle?

So I guess no one has had problems with pressure leaks/drops. That's reassuring.

I know one guy who had a pinhole at the welds of one of the non-plastic replacement models. It was right at a weld. I'm not sure what he did to address it, be it seek replacement by vendor or a DIY fix.

Just another data point for the thread.

J

FYI, go to the Dali site and look at the discontinued items section. There are many coolant tanks. I don't know what they were priced before, but maybe they're cheaper now. Anyhow, make your pick before the style you like is sold out.
My old tank is cracked due to age. Since my engine is covered, I just bought the OEM milk jug.:redface:

Some folks have just painted the oem tank whatever color.

How do you cope with not being able to see the level in a metal tank? You would have to open the cap when it is cold to check the level. You can open them warm and sometmes hot but it could be risky. I understand the aesthetics need for something more appealing than OEM but an easily removable cover for the OEM may give the best of both worlds. No one makes a metal one with a window, now that would be cool, if it didn't leak.

Tytus

How do you cope with not being able to see the level in a metal tank? You would have to open the cap when it is cold to check the level. You can open them warm and sometmes hot but it could be risky. I understand the aesthetics need for something more appealing than OEM but an easily removable cover for the OEM may give the best of both worlds. No one makes a metal one with a window, now that would be cool, if it didn't leak.

Tytus
it's all a compromise - OEM Plastic vs. Aftermarket Metal. Each, to me, has it's pros and cons.

I check the coolant levels with a paper straw that I have a whole box of via the dipstick method. If you have too much coolant it will seep out through the overflow tube anyway.

I just hope the metal version I just got from Dali doesn't leak pressure.

Bumping an old thread... I believe I have a pinhole leak in my OEM tank (which is weird because I use the OEM engine cover to keep everything out of the sun...)

I don't mind the milk bottle. Should I just get a new one?

Buy a OEM tank and paint it.

Bumping an old thread... I believe I have a pinhole leak in my OEM tank (which is weird because I use the OEM engine cover to keep everything out of the sun...)

I don't mind the milk bottle. Should I just get a new one?

If in doubt replace it!!!

If it was to ever fail you would be kicking yourself because you didn't replace it when you suspected it had a issue.

For how much the aftermarket solution costs, how easy they are to install - It's a no brainer!!

I also check oil and coolant each time before i go out, these make it so much easier, no more studying the bottle, giving up removing the cap. just a glance at the tube is needed!!

Plus they tidy the bay up.

Back