• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any advice on where to get ultra white 1157 parking light bulbs?

Now that I know which bulbs I need, I have another problem...
I couldn't find these bulbs at superwhiteleds.com!? In fact, I couldn't find anything on google.com under these #s (ie. WLED6).

Am i looking in the wrong place?

Malibu Rapper said:
What bulbs did you want to replace? I would just opt for replacing the parking, interior, trunk, and license plate bulbs. Maybe the sidemarkers. Due to the directional nature of the LED bulbs, you should probably avoid doing anything in the tail lights because they are angled.

Parking lamps: 2 x WLED6 (white) $2.34 each
Festoon interior: 5 x 3022-4 (white) $3.64 each
License plate: 2 x WLED-W4 (white) $2.34 each

With the front and rear sidemarkers, this is where you have more options with the colors. They recommend using the same color bulb as the lens. Conventional wisdom tells you that white would also work but I haven't tried it. I'll try it this weekend and will take pictures. At any rate, these are 168 wedge bulbs.

You can find the bulb information for our cars on Sylvania's website. Here is the LINK

Im still not satisfied.

I want 1157 in Silver Star.

I received the 1157A and they are in Amber (not as Amber as you would think though). Why cant this be made with clear glass?

Im going to find out.

Jason

GlowNSX said:
Im still not satisfied.

I want 1157 in Silver Star.

I received the 1157A and they are in Amber (not as Amber as you would think though). Why cant this be made with clear glass?

Im going to find out.

Jason
I don't understand why you want clear 1157's in SilverStar - when you say " parking light" are you talking about the front combination lights, the ones in the bumper?

The NSX does not use an 1157 in the front

This has been stated several times already in this thread. The Sylvania site is wrong.

The 1157 application is only in the rear as a combo stop/tail light - The correct application for the front parking light is 168/194. 1157 is not the front turn signal either - again, 1157 is a dual filament stop/tail lamp, not used for single filament applications like individual turn or parking lamps.

Just as a heads up for those thinking about doing this mod:

The original festoon bulbs for the door and trunk have a 7mm diameter contact, the replacement LED version has a 8.45mm diameter contact.

Takes a bit of push to snap them into place.

The diameter of the contact for the driverside footwell is smaller than the door and I think is the same as the map lights.

Unfortunately, I can't find any LED festoon bulbs with smaller diameter contacts.

--
George

So which replacement is going to give a brighter light that best matches STOCK headlight? It seems the Super Bright WLEDx6 glows a blue hue as the pictures and descriptions indicate. Won't this give a miss match semi Xenon look?

Those of you that did the WLEDx6 with stock lights does the blue make the stock headlights look old and weak?

I did the LED upgrade before I did the headlight HID upgrade, and yes the very blue-ishness of the LEDs did make the stock headlights look yellow. They are bluer than the HIDs for that matter. If you want the best match to stock headlights, you probably need to go with hyperwhite or xenon incandescents. They have light blue tinted glass but look white when lit, not blue at all. The sylvania site (link above) has the list of them. You can get them at most auto stores.

Jeff

Speaking of Festoons for the interior fixtures -

Just received some of these in the mail today - part of an order for one of our overseas friends.
(Sorry Martin! <!--StartFragment -->
fright.gif
) - Couldn't resist plugging one in to see how they look - very white, great addition - I like them!

There is a larger selection here - some with many more leds than the SuperLed 4x Led ones.

I think I may order some of these however to see how they stack up - they should be brighter as fundamentally better quality LED - Luxeon Stars.

D'Ecosse said:
I think I may order some of these however to see how they stack up - they should be brighter as fundamentally better quality LED - Luxeon Stars.

I read on the HIDplanet forums that it's almost as bright as a domelight. I'll hold out till they get the Luxeon V Stars fitted in there so I can blind myself. Only the domelight and maybe the trunk though because they are $$$!

Malibu Rapper said:
... Only the domelight and maybe the trunk though because they are $$$!
I hear you! Maybe exact same choices for me.

The other great thing about about putting LEDs in the interior & door lights is a lot of time I will be working on a project with the doors open for extended time - a whole lot less battery drain with LEDs in that circumstance!

Based on Malibu's previous post I ordered the LED's he mentioned plus a few more...13 in total. If I can just find the screws to remove the turn signals and figure out how to remove the side markers without scratching the paint; I'll be putting them in this weekend. Here's a copy of my invoice showing what I ordered from superbrightleds.com and where they go.

Attachments

• superbrightleds.com invoice.pdf
    194 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
NSXB said:
Based on Malibu's previous post I ordered the LED's he mentioned plus a few more...13 in total. If I can just find the screws to remove the turn signals and figure out how to remove the side markers without scratching the paint; I'll be putting them in this weekend. Here's a copy of my invoice showing what I ordered and where they go.

$15 for shipping? Hmm, I've never had it go over $5, damn gas prices!

The screw for the parking lights you will need a long phillips screwdriver to get to them. Laying down and looking up into the access hole with a small flashlight helps to see the screw and guide the screwdriver into the head.

The sidemarkers, make sure you pry behind the rubber gasket. Don't do what I did and pry the lens off the sidemarker. :) The best way I've found is to be careful using a jewelers screwdriver or very thin screwdriver and a thin microfiber towel to protect the paint

Yes, Shipping does seem extreme compared to mine - upgraded shippingservice maybe? I got mine in 2 days with "normal" ground.

Did your flasher rate change with the side marker LEDs Bradley?
(Did you do all 4 or just the fronts?)
Did you see my flasher relay mod or use resistors?

Has anyone figured out what are the bulbs that replace the little ones in the gauge cluster pod? Acura wants $10 for each of the little ones. here seems like a way to brighten up the cluster area too with the LED.

Thanks

9 LED wedge for front bumper-lights?

Has anyone tried the following in their front-bumper combo-lights: :confused:

9 LED wedge bulbs
Cross-listed #'s: 168/194 (... and 921) (W):15mm & (L): 31mm

(2) LED bulbs that do fit in the front-bumper combo-lights:

i.) 5 LED wide-angle wedge bulb: 168/194 (W): 13.5mm* (L): 26mm
ii.) 6 LED non-polar wedge bulb: 168/194 (W): 11mm (L): 22mm

*13.5mm bulb width, but 15mm diameter opening recommended

D'Ecosse said:
........Did your flasher rate change with the side marker LEDs Bradley?
(Did you do all 4 or just the fronts?)
Did you see my flasher relay mod or use resistors?

Let me answer my own question here - I was testing a replacement LED corner light design for a fellow 'Primer and was about to test a replacement parallel resistor (to avoid fast-blink) - preliminary test was conducted to confirm if NO light would induce the "fast-blink" response: I was surprised to see that disconnecting the bulb entirely made no difference to the blink-rate. To take it one step further I also disconnected rear corner in addition to front corner & still found that there was no difference to the "normal" blink rate.

Short answer - no shunt resistor (or flasher relay mod) is needed when only replacing the corner lights with LEDs.

Wow, this thread has been amazingly helpful!

I just installed Steve's HID kit yesterday. The stock parking lights do not compliment the 6000k kit so this thread has helped me decide that I need to purchase LED-6 bulbs.

Since I'm changing these, I might as well change the interior bulbs, but will the white festoon bulbs make my car look tacky if I have the tan interior?

I'm sure they look great with black leather, just not sure with tan leather.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. is superbrightleds the best place to purchase the bulbs? 15 bucks seem steep for shipping...

NSXFreak00 said:
P.S. is superbrightleds the best place to purchase the bulbs? 15 bucks seem steep for shipping...

$15 is not the normal shipping price, usually it's $5 per order. I usually buy extra pieces because the shipping price doesn't change.

This looks like a better festoon option but more $$$.

31mm_sw_9led.jpg

See Ken's post in this thread for more info on ordering these. There is also a link to a Luxeon Star version of the festoon bulb. I'd love to see that. In time, these bulbs will drop down in price the same way LED flashlights are getting so cheap now.

3022 = 31mm ?

This white 9 LED festoon bulb (31mm) will fit the NSX interior domelight, doors, driver's lower-dash, trunk?

I can't find it cross-listed w/ 3022, but 3022 bulbs are 31mm.

Festoon bulbs list for NSX:
- (1) driver's door
- (1) passenger's door
- (1) driver's footwell
- (1) dome
- (1) trunk

My plan:
* 'white' 4 LED festoon bulb for two doors
* 'red' 4 LED festoon bulb for driver's footwell
* 'white' 9 LED festoon bulb for dome
* 'white' 6 LED festoon bulb for trunk

Anyone doing maplights in cabin? Ashtray? :)biggrin:) UV's?

Last edited:
I just got one of the Lexeons last night coincidentally.
Really impressive light output - unfortunately these are not plug & play - they are designed for next size up festoon holder and I had to actually clip the holder & solder it in to adapt.
I put this one in the trunk but will replace the two in the dome light - just ordered another two this morning! When positioned temporarily up in the dome housing just on a couple of short leads the difference was amazing! The light completely bathed the passenger area compared to the bulbs - also extremely white crisp light as opposed to the yellow incandescent festoons.
Again, please be aware these will not fit & require rework of the housing & soldering to make them functional. & they're not cheap at $30 a copy so won't be installing these in every location. I think the dome & trunk will suffice for me.

Picture doesn't really do it justice

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01532.JPG
    DSC01532.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 820
D'Ecosse said:
I just got one of the Lexeons last night coincidentally.
Really impressive light output - unfortunately these are not plug & play - they are designed for next size up festoon holder and I had to actually clip the holder & solder it in to adapt.
I put this one in the trunk but will replace the two in the dome light - just ordered another two this morning! When positioned temporarily up in the dome housing just on a couple of short leads the difference was amazing! The light completely bathed the passenger area compared to the bulbs - also extremely white crisp light as opposed to the yellow incandescent festoons.
Again, please be aware these will not fit & require rework of the housing & soldering to make them functional. & they're not cheap at $30 a copy so won't be installing these in every location. I think the dome & trunk will suffice for me.

How do the brightness of these compare to the backup lights? I know this isn't an easy swap, but was considering this type of LED for backup lights. (IMO, the orginals aren't very bright to begin with.) Thanks.

I'd go for the JDM-market aftermarket bulbs w/ tan/ivory interior...

NSXFreak00 said:
they look great on the black interiors, but anyone have any idea if they look okay on the tan interiors?

I think the newer Mercedes Benz models (CLS) have LED interior/accent lighting. It was dark at the time I was at the dealership a week or so ago, I sat in a white/tan CLS. The dome and entry lights were crisp-white as I opened the door. Sitting inside, the lights gave the effect of being at a gas-station or tunnel at nite: bright white-fluorescent lights. Not an overly warm feeling IMHO, but makes the car appear very modern and contemporary. On a lighter interior in a NSX (ie. ivory, tan, camel, etc), the white-LED's aren't as ambient as regular incandescent lighting. Maybe there is some middle-ground, shop-around the LED sites or look into what PIAA, Raybrig, Polarg have to offer. The Japanese bulb's are much brighter than the halogen incandescent OEM bulbs, but not as intense as the aftermarket LED wedge bulbs.

rbirling said:
How do the brightness of these compare to the backup lights? I know this isn't an easy swap, but was considering this type of LED for backup lights. (IMO, the orginals aren't very bright to begin with.) Thanks.
Don't think these will be enough for back-up lights - however it you browse around his site, you will see that he does the bare driver in a configuration that will drive up to 2 x 5W Luxeons or 3 x 3W (as opposed to the single 1W that is pre-mounted) - I think two of these 5W per lamp would be more than plenty - maybe even one per lamp would be enough.

I've e-mailed him for his thoughts on applicability - will post up his reply later.

Edit: the Vf on the 5W's is too high to install two in series and alternatively current for parallel will be similarly high. However, three x the Luxeon III's should work with a CC5W. Note that the Luxeons will require to be mounted on a heatsink.
I don't think this is practical for a "plug-in" but good consideration for a full-on LED retro.

Last edited:
Re: 3022 = 31mm ?

Did you ever get the >4 festoons to work for your dome light?

Osiris_x11 said:
This white 9 LED festoon bulb (31mm) will fit the NSX interior domelight, doors, driver's lower-dash, trunk?

I can't find it cross-listed w/ 3022, but 3022 bulbs are 31mm.

Festoon bulbs list for NSX:
- (1) driver's door
- (1) passenger's door
- (1) driver's footwell
- (1) dome
- (1) trunk

My plan:
* 'white' 4 LED festoon bulb for two doors
* 'red' 4 LED festoon bulb for driver's footwell
* 'white' 9 LED festoon bulb for dome
* 'white' 6 LED festoon bulb for trunk

Anyone doing maplights in cabin? Ashtray? :)biggrin:) UV's?

OK, just added the 9 LED festoons to the doors & the driver's footwell area; added two Luxeons to the dome light.
It's very diffcult to photograph give a true image of how they appear because the camera wants to correct for the brightness of the light.
Here are a couple to give some idea; the interior really lights up bright & exceptionally white with the Luxeons in the there!

5957DSC01539.JPG

5957DSC01534.JPG

5957DSC01538.JPG

5957DSC01541.JPG

This next one was supposed to show off how bright it makes the interior but again the picture doesn't really reflect it truly.
It is impressive though, just have to trust me on it!

5957DSC01536.JPG

I just want to remind anyone thinking of using the Luxeons that these are not a plug n play solution - they are too big to fit between the prongs of the festoon holder, so I actually removed the prongs completely & just soldered the wires directly to the Luxeon drivers. Not a major job. They are obviously not cheap either - that's a $60 investment just for the dome pair.

Last edited:
Back