• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X custom subwoofer enclosures

Re: new sub boxes

A couple of you have voiced concerns that the brackets must be removed , this is necessary , I tried to make a box which kept them , only to find after building one , that the box could not be installed without removing the dashboard first!

For those worried about removing the brackets , here are a few options -

1) You can carefully drill out the spot welds , then later they can easily be welded back on by any machine shop or a boat shop (they weld aluminum) - one zap from a welder each!

2) Forget about it entirely , since no one will ever know the brackets are missing but you...

3) If you ever sell the car and want to go back to stock , just re-install the Bose enclosure , the upper brackets and the metal plate will sit under the carpet just the same and no one will ever know , I have personally seen this in a couple NSX's.

This enclosure is designed by me based on the shortcomings of other box designs I have seen , some of which go against all enclosure design theory , which can in no way provide good performance.

I did really want to keep the brackets , but in the end it was not meant to be.

also interested to see how it looks sitting in the footwell, both with and without carpet on top to see how it does(n't) intrude into the cabin with this extra volume!

Will there be speaker wire posts mounted on the box?

I will be offering this as an option , though most people just drill a hole and seal it with silicone

also interested to see how it looks sitting in the footwell, both with and without carpet on top to see how it does(n't) intrude into the cabin with this extra volume!

I will get some more photos up as soon as i can , although it looks identical to the toolbox! NO intrusion past factory box!!!

I hear ya, I'm just a fan of the terminals... makes for a cleaner install and removal if necessary. Does there seem to be a suitable location for this?

yes it is no problem on the top .

Yes the spring clip type will leak , but a high quality binding post will not leak.

Here are the installed pics!

Attachments

• Picture 327.jpg
    Picture 327.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 780
  • Picture 331.jpg
    Picture 331.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 714

All the ones i've used tend to leak air. I suppose you can silicone the back/inside of the connectors - haven't tried this before but might work.

This is exactly what I used to do way back in the high school days when I used to play with speaker boxes. :)

I always used binding posts as well, as I recall they were a twice as expensive (we're still talking low dollar amounts) but then you could use banana plugs on your speaker wires and make things very clean.

would you mind showing, in a pic, the brackets that were removed behind the enclosure?

There is really nothing to see , do you want to see the bracket itself (I threw mine out) or the spot on the floor where they used to be? It just looks like a flat floor. They are small aluminum brackets , about 2" x 1" .

Last edited:

There is really nothing to see , do yo want to see the bracket itself (I threw mine out) or the spot on the floor where they used to be? It just looks like a flat floor. They are small aluminum brackets , about 2" x 1" .
np Wil. I've never taken apart that section of the car so I have no idea what to expect. I'll go ahead and do that in the next few nights. I just need to get an idea of what brackets need to go.

I think I can find some pics online here somewhere. Thanks

OK , just wanted to see how many of you would be interested in saving some money by purchasing a box which needs to be finished DIY style? This would consist of a fully laid up box with a wood front which will require sanding / painting and cutting the hole , just thinking of another way for you to save a buck . I will try to post some pics of what I mean soon.

FYI for anybody interested in this product. I spoke with Hrant about making custom floor mats with a speaker cutout to work with this box, and he believes that he already has the template (from the zetoolman V3). I'm going to go ahead and order a set and see how it all lines up... once angus sells me one of his speaker boxes. :) If anybody else is interested, I'll snap some pics when everything comes in and I get some time to install it.

FWIW, angus you may want to talk with Hrant about offering a combo deal like zetoolman did with his boxes if there is enough interest.

I will try to get something going if I see enough demand here , we shall see.

FYI for anybody interested in this product. I spoke with Hrant about making custom floor mats with a speaker cutout to work with this box, and he believes that he already has the template (from the zetoolman V3). I'm going to go ahead and order a set and see how it all lines up... once angus sells me one of his speaker boxes. :) If anybody else is interested, I'll snap some pics when everything comes in and I get some time to install it.

FWIW, angus you may want to talk with Hrant about offering a combo deal like zetoolman did with his boxes if there is enough interest.

If the size/shape of the subbox is the same as the V3, then the OEM mat would work fine for those who want to cover it.

For those who want it exposed, either in a half mat or full mat with a hole in it (like the ones we have done for Zetoolman all versions), then it will depend on the location of the sub and the size of the opening. Zetoolman's were based on a 10" sub.

Pics are here: http://www.khrantenterprises.com/custom.htm

Cheers.

I personally like the stealth look but is the factory floormats generally sound permeable? OR will you hear a vibration/chatter as hard bass hits against the back of the floormat. My guess is that it's a non-issue but I wanted to confirm if possible.

(i'm still on the fence about cutting out the OEM sub mounting tabs... I might just do it...)

I personally like the stealth look but is the factory floormats generally sound permeable? OR will you hear a vibration/chatter as hard bass hits against the back of the floormat. My guess is that it's a non-issue but I wanted to confirm if possible.

(i'm still on the fence about cutting out the OEM sub mounting tabs... I might just do it...)

I also prefer the stealth look, but I read on a few places here that it actually makes a big difference from people who have similar setups. I imagine the woofer just has a harder time moving as much air while being dampened with the thick carpet and floor mat.

OK people , updated list:

1) ryu

2) valeno

3) kane - PAID

4) redshift - PAID

5) nsxramr1

6) godfather05

7) joboo - PAID , completed

Last edited:

updated list:

1) ryu

2) valeno

3) kane - PAID , completed

4) redshift - PAID ,completed

5) nsxramr1

6) godfather05 - PAID , completed

7) joboo - PAID , completed

Last edited:

I now have two boxes in stock , one with no hole and one with hole for earthquake SWS or MTX thin

Back