• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X custom subwoofer enclosures

Re: new sub boxes

A few questions if you don't mind as I'm "thinking" about doing a system in the NSX since I have some spare audio laying around.....

1) My buddy/installer says the OEM carpet needs to be cut to make these types of boxes (vtoolman) fit inside the well? So far the only thing I see mentioned is the brackets being cut?

2) Can this box be removed at a later date and the OEM BOSE sub re-installed with no irreversable harm to the car? Very important for me.

3) Can this enclosure accomodate a JL10w6 v2 subwoofer as this is my personal favorite sub?

4) How much airspace/depth do you have in there?

thanks
rick

A few questions if you don't mind as I'm "thinking" about doing a system in the NSX since I have some spare audio laying around.....

1) My buddy/installer says the OEM carpet needs to be cut to make these types of boxes (vtoolman) fit inside the well? So far the only thing I see mentioned is the brackets being cut?

2) Can this box be removed at a later date and the OEM BOSE sub re-installed with no irreversable harm to the car? Very important for me.

3) Can this enclosure accomodate a JL10w6 v2 subwoofer as this is my personal favorite sub?

thanks
rick

- this box can be placed under the carpet , if you would like it to be expesed , then you can cut the carpet if you like , remember , the OEM Bose is under the carpet.

- Yes 100% , you will be removing the two lower brackets , but the OEM Bose sub can still be installed , I have personally seen this in a car that had a sub and was put back to stock , you cannot tell unless you take it apart.

- you would need to build a spacer ring as the box depth is inly 5" in the box without the countersunk face

- it is .5 cu ft. - also not enough for a 10w6v2 , you will be very happy with the output from a earthquake SWS .

thanks for your answers....

Any spacer rings would cause the sub to protrude and thus cause the carpet to buldge. This is why my guy said there's no way to put a heavy duty sub in there without cutting the carpet I think. Plus without enough internal cubic feet it won't work anyways.

appreciate the reply but this won't work for me.

Any spacer rings would cause the sub to protrude and thus cause the carpet to buldge. This is why my guy said there's no way to put a heavy duty sub in there without cutting the carpet I think. Plus without enough internal cubic feet it won't work anyways.

There are other subs besides the JL 10w6v2 that would sound much better without having to cut your carpet for this particular application.

i'm a big audiophile as well. albeit self proclaimed. i'm working on some ideas on how to incorporate Wil's sub into a tasteful, OEM friendly, yet functional sub design. Have faith my friend! :)

Back to my initial thoughts in this thread... I really feel an 8" woofer is the answer for a limited size footwell sub and tight bass. Maybe 8W0 or even 6" solobaric.

busy working on my other project right now since i really need to get that car running. hoping to have time to jump on upgrading my NSX audio in a month or two with hopefully some suggestions/alternatives - still using Wil's design.

Actually I agree that in the NSX a single 10w6 may not be the best solution with the depth issues….

We did a Porsche Cayman with dual 6” JL subs in the passenger rear trunk compartment and the sound was amazing – perhaps dual 6” JL’s are the answer for this footwell application? I’m going to do some more research once I have some free time to work on my own car….

Actually I agree that in the NSX a single 10w6 may not be the best solution with the depth issues….

We did a Porsche Cayman with dual 6” JL subs in the passenger rear trunk compartment and the sound was amazing – perhaps dual 6” JL’s are the answer for this footwell application? I’m going to do some more research once I have some free time to work on my own car….

That's an interesting thought, I wonder if that would fit. You might want to contact ztoolman since he's done a lot of research on this subject already. There is also a member named something like d'ecosse (sp?) who you may want to contact. As I recall, he's gone through a few different subwoofer solutions and is quite the audiophile.

That's an interesting thought, I wonder if that would fit. You might want to contact ztoolman since he's done a lot of research on this subject already. There is also a member named something like d'ecosse (sp?) who you may want to contact. As I recall, he's gone through a few different subwoofer solutions and is quite the audiophile.

I have no problem building custom sub boxes....my shop does this work all the time but it's not cost effective time wise.

The one I built for my s2000 took over 12 hours of labor alone plus materials!

http://www.euroboutique.us/rides_s2k_1.html

here's the one from the Cayman, same principle with dual 6" subs:

IMG_5176.jpg

It is true , if you went to a quality shop who could reproduce the box that I make , it would probably cost triple the price or more.

i first thought two 6 inch subs would require more than .5 cu ft in total but i stand corrected. the JL 6W3V3 requires only .15cu ft? If so, two of them would definitely work in Wil's box. I just have no clue how these 6's sound and at such a small enclosure.. how much air can they really push...?

once I get around to my setup i think i'd like to do an 8" in this box (I can't seem to find a 6" solobaric anymore) and just pump a sh*tload of power to it. In a small cabin like the NSX i can't imagine it would anything but awesome.

OK , just wanted to see how many of you would be interested in saving some money by purchasing a box which needs to be finished DIY style? This would consist of a fully laid up box with a wood front which will require sanding / painting and cutting the hole , just thinking of another way for you to save a buck . I will try to post some pics of what I mean soon.

how much for this diy version?

i first thought two 6 inch subs would require more than .5 cu ft in total but i stand corrected. the JL 6W3V3 requires only .15cu ft? If so, two of them would definitely work in Wil's box. I just have no clue how these 6's sound and at such a small enclosure.. how much air can they really push...?

once I get around to my setup i think i'd like to do an 8" in this box (I can't seem to find a 6" solobaric anymore) and just pump a sh*tload of power to it. In a small cabin like the NSX i can't imagine it would anything but awesome.

Well it is really just a matter of cone surface area and excursion , what about a solobaric 8"?

Solobaric L7 OR classic 8" will fit!

Nice work!

Its not the "custom" part that is the problem IMO. Its the limited space that there is to work with. Lot's of great shops like yours can make the box I'm guessing :).

Obviously the trunk isn't in the equation, so it has to go in the OEM location or behind a seat. If you don't want to loose foot room, then you're very limited on what will fit and I'm just not sure if two 6" subs will work - footprint wise that is across the face of the box. They probably will, but I just have no idea since.

I currently have a custom box with an 8" kicker solo. Its okay, but the box is less than ideal as it does not use all available foot well volume and it protrudes a bit too much. I'll let you know how the SWS-10 sounds in comparison once I receive the new box and get around to installing it. My current box is sealed and has about .4ft^3 FYI. It is powered by a 200W RMS / 400W peak MTX amplifier (actually does 250W RMS @ 12.xV on its birth certificate).

Are there any other people that would br interested in a box with either a carbon or kevlar front?

If this is the case , you can run three of the 6W3V3 in this box , I would like to make a list of woofers that will fit , I found out that the square solobaric will also fit

I would still be interested in a box that fits dual JL 6's since I think that is the best way to keep the stock legroom as I do not want to lose that space.

let us know your progress!

I would still be interested in a box that fits dual JL 6's since I think that is the best way to keep the stock legroom as I do not want to lose that space.

let us know your progress!

I have a box in stock that will do what you want , I will PM you.

This is the sub I want to run in dual configuration:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=29

Ryu, theoretically running two of these 6" subs should be equal to moving enough air equal to a single 12" subwoofer!

Thus running 3 of these would be 18" of surface area for moving air ~ I still remember the days of those 18" subwoofers from Cerwin Vega :)

I have enough amp power to run triple but I think dual 6" will sound pretty clean just like the Cayman I pictured above.

rk

Ryu, theoretically running two of these 6" subs should be equal to moving enough air equal to a single 12" subwoofer!

Thus running 3 of these would be 18" of surface area for moving air ~ I still remember the days of those 18" subwoofers from Cerwin Vega :)

I have enough amp power to run triple but I think dual 6" will sound pretty clean just like the Cayman I pictured above.

rk

Umm, your calculations need a little work. You cannot just add the diameters of the subwoofer together to say 2 6" subs = a 12" sub.

You need to look at 2 things here, piston diameter (Sd) and excursion (Xmax). So we'll compare apples to apples.

The 6w3v3 has an SD of 13.36 in^2 and an Xmax of .35 for a volume displacement of 4.676 in^3. 3 of them would give you a volume displacement of 14.028 in^3.
The 10w3v3 has an SD of 53.475 in^2 and an Xmax of .65 for a volume displacement of 29.511 in^3. This means a single 10 is over 6 dB louder than 3 of those 6" subs. Not to mention easier to install and wire.

rk
Pretty much what Malibu R said. It's an easy comparison to overlook but in reality the math doesn't quite work out to 1+1=2. In addition to Malibu's comments, so many other factors to consider like the volume displacement of the subs themselves, the efficiency and the frequency range will vary quite a bit also which will affect sound.

In this box, I would still prefer one 10" but it doesn't appear the woofer I like, JL10W0, will be efficient in such a small enclosure. My next favorite sub is the 8" equivalent. I'd want to try one 8" sub before trying two 6"s.

I have a hookup at Alpine corporate but I don't know if I want to try an Alpine sub in this. Just not much luck with their subs in the past. The old ones tended to sound too flat. tight, but really flat. I wonder how the new ones favor...

I think I'm like you... I much prefer the sound of many small subs vs. less of bigger diameters. Nothing like hitting the tight bass notes at 100-120Hz.

Umm, your calculations need a little work. You cannot just add the diameters of the subwoofer together to say 2 6" subs = a 12" sub.

You need to look at 2 things here, piston diameter (Sd) and excursion (Xmax). So we'll compare apples to apples.

The 6w3v3 has an SD of 13.36 in^2 and an Xmax of .35 for a volume displacement of 4.676 in^3. 3 of them would give you a volume displacement of 14.028 in^3.
The 10w3v3 has an SD of 53.475 in^2 and an Xmax of .65 for a volume displacement of 29.511 in^3. This means a single 10 is over 6 dB louder than 3 of those 6" subs. Not to mention easier to install and wire.

Thanks for posting this info , I was going to make a similar post whaen I had time , it is true , and if people want to play around with different drivers , they should stick to ones that have T/S parameters that match the enclosure.

Well. Looks like I have a design infringement!

My .02 worth. The V3 empty is $350, so, you are more! The flat face does offer flexibility of sub, but, causes a HUGE problem of location, carpet, floor mat, not to mention, how are you going to get cone travel and protection of the speaker??????

That is why I did the inset design. Clean install, protected and cone movement. The V3 was easy to make changeable speaker size, if REALLY needed.

Like to see what the function ends up being!

Well. Looks like I have a design infringement!

My .02 worth. The V3 empty is $350, so, you are more! The flat face does offer flexibility of sub, but, causes a HUGE problem of location, carpet, floor mat, not to mention, how are you going to get cone travel and protection of the speaker??????

That is why I did the inset design. Clean install, protected and cone movement. The V3 was easy to make changeable speaker size, if REALLY needed.

Like to see what the function ends up being!

I bought Wil's version with the inset face for this exact reason... it was a good deal more than $350. Many normal 10" speaker grills will not fit inside the inset, I bought 3 relatively expensive grills and only 1 fit... the least ideal one. The outer diameter is about 1/8" less than 11" from my measurements.

The quality is superb - which I'm sure the exact same could be said about your box z based on what I've read on prime.

All said, I'm quite satisfied with Wil's box... just wish he would have mounted the terminal post for me and cut a slightly larger outer diameter hole. In the end though, its not a big deal... great product Wil! :)

I am only trying to build what people said they wanted , I do the inset design as well , as far as carpet problems , some would like the box over and some would like it under , personal choice , I feel my enclosure differs from the toolbox enough (in construction , materials etc. , otherwise I would have just bought the toolman's molds) I hope I can get some feedback on sound quality.

Back